Do Nothing

23 minutes ago, brelic said:

Agreed that the winning streak is fool’s gold. 

Is it? I swear I just don't know anymore.

I want them they stink to high heaven bottom of the NHL.

I say f**k it if you're going to stink at least get the best chance to get the top pick.

Then what do they do?

They start winning and not just here and there (which is really how it was) and then here we are and they are on this tear of 7 games and counting hottest team in the NHL stuff.

So I give I don't know I just DON'T KNOW ANYMORE!

Anyways I feel better saying that it's all I got I'll get back to work.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Gordon's pep talk to get them out of their slump

True story: I had a coach - Dan Sylvester (he was minor famous for having a feisty WHL career where he fought none other than Dave Brown!). Anyway, Dan had a temper. One night when we were playing particularly trash, he comes in and is fuming. He's looking for stuff to kick or throw. He finds a can of pop on the table in the middle of the room. 

I happen to be sitting in the stall closest to the stick rack and the door - to my right. Stalls to my left. And he hurls the can of pop toward the stick rack,  but his aim is slightly off, hit hits the edge of my stall and explodes, missing my head by inches. The room went very quiet. We played better after that.

4 hours ago, brelic said:

But I have hard time believing this team will go 23-7 over the last 30 games. 

It's tuff sledding, I agree, but the team finished last season with only 8 games from February on with no points, another 6 were SOLs.  New GM, New Coach, Goalie of the Month, and an arguably stronger roster. C'est posible!

5 hours ago, briere48 said:

this winning streak is fools gold to me.

Well, 5 of the next 6 are in Philly with a roadie against Fletch's old school.  If we can sift 9 points outta this pre-deadline proving run, the price of gold's going up :)

2 minutes ago, 926 said:

Well, 5 of the next 6 are in Philly with a roadie against Fletch's old school.  If we can sift 9 points outta this pre-deadline proving run, the price of gold's going up :)

All he really meant was that it is HIS gold. 

I haven't seen proof.  Between you and me, I think it's a fraudulent claim. 

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I haven't seen proof

I'm putting the season on the play of JvR and Nolan, well the D first and foremost, but these two forwards if they play to their draft positions, we're going into Spring. 

2 hours ago, 926 said:

I'm putting the season on the play of JvR and Nolan, well the D first and foremost, but these two forwards if they play to their draft positions, we're going into Spring. 

That wasn't actually directed at you. 

The fool (not you) said it was fool's gold. 

That self-servingly implied it was his gold. 

I haven't seen proof that it's his gold. 

Between you and me, I think his claim is fraudulent. 

----

As for the subject at hand, play as though "it's possible but the situation is dire." See what happens. 

At the very least, whatever the outcome it will have been more fun than "do we or don't we tank?" 

As for Simmonds, I'm not resigning him, so he's not making it past the deadline.  Whatever happens, I'd do it with whatever we get in return or a kid (sadly it's right wing and NAK is injured, so I don't have a suggestion). 

I agree it's going to be about Patrick and JVR. They'll need them both if the playoffs have a chance. 

All we need for next season on defense is good top 3 veteran with leadership and good defensive ability to anchor this defense and you will see the younger guys take a step up with less responsibility on them. By dealing Simmonds the assets we acquire can be used to make a trade.

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

All we need for next season on defense is good top 3 veteran with leadership and good defensive ability to anchor this defense and you will see the younger guys take a step up with less responsibility on them. By dealing Simmonds the assets we acquire can be used to make a trade.

Serious question. 

Next year will be Ghost's 5th season and Provorov's 4th (with enough aggregate ice time for 5).

I realize Provorov is still young, but at what point, with over 500 games between them (by this season's end) do they become the vet? 

And what kid do we not play and either block them or trade them so said import can play? 

21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Serious question. 

Next year will be Ghost's 5th season and Provorov's 4th (with enough aggregate ice time for 5).

I realize Provorov is still young, but at what point, with over 500 games between them (by this season's end) do they become the vet? 

And what kid do we not play and either block them or trade them so said import can play? 

Well, I had a nice lil write up to try and answer your question, but the site seemed to have gotten stupid on me and wouldn't let me save what I had written, ultimately erasing it, and annoying the ever living bile out of me....

In short, defenders can be considered "established" after the 5th year or so....complete vets, once over 6th or 7th year.
This is longer than forwards, well, because, defenders take longer to mature...I think we all understand that.

Now, and this is where team evaluators need to earn their paychecks, it will be up to the organization to constantly monitor the growth and progress of these two defenders (Ghost and Provy), watch trends, and see what they are likely to become.....and then use that to see whether they are really worth keeping around, or held in high regard, at the expense of some other young up n comer.

Again, I apologize for my short, and likely incomplete answer (you KNOW I am all about details!), but Hf.net has vexed me right now, as I had something MUCH better written up.  😞

32 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, I had a nice lil write up to try and answer your question, but the site seemed to have gotten stupid on me and wouldn't let me save what I had written, ultimately erasing it, and annoying the ever living bile out of me....

In short, defenders can be considered "established" after the 5th year or so....complete vets, once over 6th or 7th year.
This is longer than forwards, well, because, defenders take longer to mature...I think we all understand that.

Now, and this is where team evaluators need to earn their paychecks, it will be up to the organization to constantly monitor the growth and progress of these two defenders (Ghost and Provy), watch trends, and see what they are likely to become.....and then use that to see whether they are really worth keeping around, or held in high regard, at the expense of some other young up n comer.

Again, I apologize for my short, and likely incomplete answer (you KNOW I am all about details!), but Hf.net has vexed me right now, as I had something MUCH better written up.  😞

Lol I've had similar happen to me. It's beyond frustrating. 

One thing you did not do, which I have to fight against (and sometimes fail) is you didn't have the frustration end up targeted at the person you were writing to. 

I'm not sure I buy that there's a specific time frame. But I guess specifically with the Flyers' situation, we may be moving past the stage where bringing in some sage is necessary. 

I'd have done it at the start of this year, and certainly last year, but by next season, the concept may have lost its point. 

On 2/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, ruxpin said:

There is no way I'm keeping Simmonds past the trade deadline. Keeping him and then losing him at the end of the season has zero benefit. 

The rest I'm good with. 

I agree the Flyers have to get rid of Simmonds for picks. And maybe Gudas if they get a deal with they can't resist. I hope that Fletcher doesn't think that this 7 game winning streak changes the way Fletcher should approach the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I agree the Flyers have to get rid of Simmonds for picks. And maybe Gudas if they get a deal with they can't resist. 

Gudas has actually done a decent job this year.  But of him and Mcdonald, I would think he's the only one who's moveable, and I don't think you want to keep both. 

So yeah. 

16 hours ago, 926 said:

It's tuff sledding, I agree, but the team finished last season with only 8 games from February on with no points, another 6 were SOLs.  New GM, New Coach, Goalie of the Month, and an arguably stronger roster. C'est posible!

Yes, it's certainly possible. 

In their last 30 games LAST season, the Flyers went 18-7-5 as one of the hottest teams in the NHL down the stretch.

That would not be enough this year. 

Like I said, 23-7ish. Yes, they have been playing really well lately, 7-3 in their last 10. But a 22-8 run doesn't cut it. They have left themselves zero margin for error, and there's plenty of blame to go around. 

In the end, if the team goes 22-8 and misses the playoffs, I still think they're much better off for the near-future than if they were a legitimate bottom 3 team. That would just bring up too many question marks and leave almost everyone apathetic. Q would want no part of coming here, Fletch would be making unpopular trades, and the likelihood of getting #1 or #2 overall would still be slim, with the highest % being 4th-6th overall pick (depending on if we finished 31st, 30th, or 29th).

If they make the playoffs, well, they'll have been on a 126pt season pace, and I'm guessing their PK and PP rank in the top 10 - maybe top 5 - over that stretch. Their goaltending is probably top 5. Three or four guys will have stepped it up and produced at an elite clip. 

In other words, everything would have to go right, just like everything went wrong in the early part of the season.

What a story that would be.

43 minutes ago, brelic said:

Like I said, 23-7ish.

Depends really on what the other teams do.

Actually to many variables to calculate properly.

Bottom line they are going to have to play well and get some help from the hockey Gods.

Plain and simple just keep winning!

#easy

#fingerscrossed

On 2/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, ruxpin said:

There is no way I'm keeping Simmonds past the trade deadline. Keeping him and then losing him at the end of the season has zero benefit. 

The rest I'm good with. 

The deadline is so close I think you likely have to do this.  It will likely tank whatever they have going by then, even just because he seems to be like their magic feather even when he's not playing well.  

That said, if they don't lose again before the deadline and are like 2 points out of the playoffs, I honestly don't think I touch a thing.  In fact, if that occurs (I know it's not really possible, but we're speaking hypothetically here) then the Flyers actually might become buyers by the deadline.

Columbus has lost 5 in a row, the Flyers have won 7.  

7 points (4 wins) separate them in the standings.

The Trade deadline is 10 games away.

It's completely absurd, but not impossible to believe that the Flyers may be making a deal for Panarin at the deadline instead of shoving Simmonds off onto someone.  

Another dose of "I'll have what he's having"...  

10 games between now and the deadline and only 4 of them are against playoff teams and only two against what I think anyone would consider "good" teams.  

Columbus also has 10 games before the deadline.  6 of those games are against playoff teams, and two more against non playoff teams with winning records.  

I'll believe it when I see it, but it's not impossible.  The Flyers are at .500 again. That in itself is ridiculous.  Let's see what happens I guess.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:14 PM, mkscrewy said:

the thing with simmonds is he going to want, deserves, and should get, what should amount to his final contract of his career. he's not going to take a 2 year contract here in philly (at least i don't think so). he also has been taking a discount here in philadelphia. he's going to want, deserves, and should be paid for his services. do you see us giving his 6 years @ 4.5mil or whatever it ends up being? i sure wish we could, but i don't think the Flyers are going to, or should, but i hope someone does. maybe take it from jake's salary.

edit: ok maybe 4.5mil is still a little low of a guess...

If Simmonds would play for 4.5 million, you give him 6 years in a heartbeat.  He's gunning for 6+ if his agents are worth a damn.  

18 hours ago, 926 said:

JVR and Patty putting up numbers will put the team where we all want them to be, but one of the keys to the turnaround (not named Hart) has been Lindblom.

The difference in the kid's output when getting top 6 minutes (and more of them) a night and what he was getting under Hakstol is astounding.  

Whether he needed the time to put things together or he just needed the time to put up the numbers, he's been absolutely KEY in their streak in both scoring and preventing goals.  Either way... I still hate Hakstol.  

Not as a man.  I'm sure he's decent.  But as an NHL coach.  I wish him luck in the NCAA.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

That said, if they don't lose again before the deadline and are like 2 points out of the playoffs, I honestly don't think I touch a thing.  In fact, if that occurs (I know it's not really possible, but we're speaking hypothetically here) then the Flyers actually might become buyers by the deadline.

Well they are at their roster limit so you can keep it the same and not touch anything and then be buyers were you going to put the incoming player(s)?

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well they are at their roster limit so you can keep it the same and not touch anything and then be buyers were you going to put the incoming player(s)?

Not a problem.  The Roster size is unlimited after the deadline, and they have 4 contract spots still open before they hit that limit.

Long story short, getting there is still a much bigger problem than what to do if they manage it.

11 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Not a problem.  The Roster size is unlimited after the deadline, and they have 4 contract spots still open before they hit that limit.

Long story short, getting there is still a much bigger problem than what to do if they manage it.

Yes buy you have to be at the limit before the rosters are set so someone would have to go the other way or waived to make room.

Archived