The fix is in Devils win draft lottery again , Rangers # 2. The league really wanted this.

RonJeremy

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

Not that this doesn't exist to some extent now but would a concern be that "middle" teams would likely get a bigger share of the new top talent, potentially creating essentially a "second tier" of teams that would have trouble getting out of the bottom of the league? (se: Fruit Girl, Tropical)

Yes, quite possibly. I'd be fine with that, but I'm sure many markets wouldn't. I mean, whether or not Edmonton is an elite team or a bottom feeder, I doubt if affects the league very much in TV/online ratings and revenue. No one outside of that small market cares. But if that same thing happens to Philly, NY, LA, Toronto, Montreal that's a different issue.

Now we're on to a different topic though...

IMO, the less than 1-in-5 chance for the worst team to actually get the #1 pick is more of a disincentive today than we have seen in the past.

Absolutely.. I think it is helping.

Lastly, how many non-Northeast fans were calling "foul" over the Devils/Flyers lucking into 1/2 a couple years ago?

That's because the "loser should get the top pick!!" mentality persists. It's somehow seen as unfair. I just don't understand why. It's a made up game with made up rules. Does anyone complain about the revenue sharing arrangement that keeps 30-40% of the league teams afloat? I guess that in itself tells me the league has an interest in buoying even the worst teams once in a while with some solid picks to help them get competitive. But I think teams like LA, EDM, and NJ would have a better chance at winning a few rounds of Best-of-3 hockey against teams like Philly, Montreal, and the Rangers than the lottery odds. 

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't even know what NIT stands for.

I have always joked Not In Tournament!

"National Invitational Tournament"

Backinnaday, it was the premiere NCAA end of season tournament - taking place at Madison Square Garden. Also, the NCAAs only had eight regional teams.

The NCAAs "stole their thunder" with the Field of 64. Now they get teams like Conference Regular Season Champions that lost their Tournament, etc.

Some place called "The University of South Carolina" won back to back NIT titles in 2005, 2006 among 12 appearances, the most recent in 2016. 👺

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I mean, whether or not Edmonton is an elite team or a bottom feeder, I doubt if affects the league very much in TV/online ratings and revenue. No one outside of that small market cares. But if that same thing happens to Philly, NY, LA, Toronto, Montreal that's a different issue.

You mean, like a team in a major market that hasn't gotten out of the first round for seven years? Or, for that matter, 13?

I feel your pain. 👺

35 minutes ago, radoran said:

"National Invitational Tournament"

Backinnaday, it was the premiere NCAA end of season tournament - taking place at Madison Square Garden. Also, the NCAAs only had eight regional teams.

The NCAAs "stole their thunder" with the Field of 64. Now they get teams like Conference Regular Season Champions that lost their Tournament, etc.

Some place called "The University of South Carolina" won back to back NIT titles in 2005, 2006 among 12 appearances, the most recent in 2016. 👺

Yeah shows you how important it is I forgot that quick.

However I don't follow basketball.

I the last game I watch was them lose in the final four to Gonzaga.

The time before that?

I think it was 97 when the won the SEC and the first round of the tournament lost to Coppin State? Who? Exactly.

I follow football, hockey and college baseball.

16 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The Rangers I can understand.

Why the hell the league wants a team in Newark, I'll never grasp.  Ever. 

Yeah, I don't like Jersey either. 

But even though they were 24th in attendance this year, they had a 92.1% attendance rate. The big dropoff comes from 27 through 31. 

Arizona, 81.7%

NY Isles, 78.9%

Florida, 78.2%

Carolina, 76.7%

Ottawa, 76.0%

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I wish they would cull those teams.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Yeah, I don't like Jersey either. 

But even though they were 24th in attendance this year, they had a 92.1% attendance rate. The big dropoff comes from 27 through 31. 

Arizona, 81.7%

NY Isles, 78.9%

Florida, 78.2%

Carolina, 76.7%

Ottawa, 76.0%

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I wish they would cull those teams.

Maybe Expansion should be on a trial basis.  If after 10 years, you're not pulling your weight and the rest of the league keeps having to profit share to keep your ass afloat, your team gets moved to a new city that wants to try out the NHL.

I mean this is sort of what happened in the 70's.  This is afterall how we ended up with the Devils, The North Stars and how the flames got to Calgary... amongst others!   

I understand that Hartford couldn't support an NHL team... but if North Carolina and Phoenix can't either, why are we bending over backwards to help them when we wouldn't give the time of day to Hartford?  

On 4/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, ruxpin said:

You will never be able to explain to me why the actual lottery is not televised.   Even as a matter of production, it would be much more interesting (let alone transparent!) than the National Prayer Hour I just watched.

There's definitely something off about the lottery.  I understand it's intention and I understand they tweaked the odds recently to make it even more likely something like this would happen, but it doesn't stop teams from tanking... intentionally or otherwise.

I mean look at Ottawa and the Kings.  Neither team entered the season intending to suck.  The Senators had already given up their first round pick (for a player they traded away for a non-lottery pick btw) anyway.  The Kings made the playoffs and are still built for competing there... or at least are intended to be, but Blake seems to be kind of a moron, so in actuality, they're still built to compete four years ago.

The long and short is that the teams that got bilked out of the high picks are the teams that needed them.  

Or is it the league (ahem, I mean fate) stepping in to save these poor GM's from themselves?  

Long story short is that ever since the league gave the Penguins the first overall pick to get crosby (after them already having 4 top 5 picks in a row) after a season in which they never competed at all in order to fail enough to earn that pick, I've believed the whole system to be utterly corrupt.  

I don't believe the league went out of it's way to keep the #1 pick away from the Flyers in 2007.  But it may have gone out of it's way to help the Hawks get him.  They seem to use it as a tool to help who they want to help, not to hurt who they want to hurt. 

I don't believe the lottery is actually fixed. If it was, the Oilers wouldn't have gotten 5 #1 picks in 10 years. But a little more transparency would be great. Publish the list of numbers assigned to each team and hold the drawing live. If Pennsylvania could do it in the 80s, I'm sure the NHL could do it today.

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

I don't believe the league went out of it's way to keep the #1 pick away from the Flyers in 2007.  But it may have gone out of it's way to help the Hawks get him.  They seem to use it as a tool to help who they want to help, not to hurt who they want to hurt

Yeah, I agree. It's never really occurred to me that it was meant to harm some team. Just to help their team for some agenda that doesn't include fairness.  It's the Lori Loughlin plan. 

22 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I agree. It's never really occurred to me that it was meant to harm some team. Just to help their team for some agenda that doesn't include fairness.  It's the Lori Loughlin plan. 

So, the theory here is that the league as a whole has an intrinsic bias against a specific team that reflects itself in not only calls made on suspensions but also call made on the ice and the outcome of the draft itself - and you all want to continue to watch this product?

Kinda explains people who take World Wrestling Entertainment seriously.

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

So, the theory here is that the league as a whole has an intrinsic bias against a specific team that reflects itself in not only calls made on suspensions but also call made on the ice and the outcome of the draft itself - and you all want to continue to watch this product?

I would like to see a rule in effect that after you get the top 3 in the draft you can't draw in the top 3 again till another 3 years.

It should be here to help all teams not just the few who stay in the bottom for years.

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well, not MY theory nor one I subscribe to. 

And cannot stand professional wrestling. If I came to the conclusion hockey was as fake as that, I'd be gone. 

Archived