NHL apologizes to Vegas for penalty that did them in vs Sharks

4 hours ago, davethehammer said:

saying bad bounces just happen doesnt explain anything.

the fact of the matter is, the very first goal in this video proves my point again.

I'm sorry but you cant be taken seriously if you call that a natural accident based on any actual physics. the puck blatantly went in a completely unnatural reaction. to say otherwise is simply ignorance.

are you people in your 30s/40s/50s? and you still think multi billion dollar sports is some untouched, pure, childish entity? its time to stop watching sports like the13 year old you once were. Sports is staged entertainment and they choose who wins and when.

you got us ....You are right .... I finally found your video evidence that confirms your conspiracy theories ........   

• Like 2

In other news Pavelski still out, not even travelling with the Sharks to Colorado. Must be faking it to help the league justify screwing Vegas with a non penalty, just like the USA faked the moon landing...…...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The only thing violent was how the player fell. If he lands differently, chances are there's no penalty on the play at all.  

So you're saying there was violence associated with the hit?

We agree!

😎

Seriously, Eakins cross-checks Pavelski up high and knocks him off balance. Stastny then pushes him to the ice.

At least one of those things is a penalty.

8 hours ago, davethehammer said:

saying bad bounces just happen doesnt explain anything.

It explains everything. The problem is you just don't like the answer. Not my problem it's yours. Good day sir.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

So you're saying there was violence associated with the hit?

We agree!

😎

Seriously, Eakins cross-checks Pavelski up high and knocks him off balance. Stastny then pushes him to the ice.

At least one of those things is a penalty.

Aaah!  :frantics:

But I'm wondering if the referee saw the actual infraction or simply called a penalty after seeing the player laying on the ice.  Since they had to have a "meeting", I'm guessing nobody was watching the initial hit. 

The rule of thumb is that you can't call a penalty if you didn't see exactly what happened. This is like the Wayne Gretzky high stick on Doug Gilmour from 1993.  The play stopped. Gilmour was laying on the ice bleeding. Nobody saw what happened (or at least not definitively). No call was made.  :) 

I agree that it's a 2-minute penalty for cross-checking, but since the ref missed it, it shouldn't have been a penalty at all. It should have been a missed call. 

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The rule of thumb is that you can't call a penalty if you didn't see exactly what happened.

You and your crazy rules!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The rule of thumb is that you can't call a penalty if you didn't see exactly what happened.

The other thing that bugs me about all of this - I'm sure this has been brought up by others - is that for the Pavelski/Eakin play, they huddled with the linesmen to see who saw what, saw the blood coming from Pavelki's head, and that was the decision.

Then, the other day in a game (can't remember which, will try to find), the ref went to the penalty box to make the call but it wasn't clear whether it was gonna be 2 or 4 min., so he puts the headset on and talks to the control room to inform his decision! What the holy hell is that?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

This is like the Wayne Gretzky high stick on Doug Gilmour from 1993. 

You know the game has changed a lot since 1993, right?

I don't at all disagree that the result of the penalty was called.

That's just the way the game is these days.

You don't have to like it. I don't have to like it.

But that's the way it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

The other thing that bugs me about all of this - I'm sure this has been brought up by others - is that for the Pavelski/Eakin play, they huddled with the linesmen to see who saw what, saw the blood coming from Pavelki's head, and that was the decision.

Then, the other day in a game (can't remember which, will try to find), the ref went to the penalty box to make the call but it wasn't clear whether it was gonna be 2 or 4 min., so he puts the headset on and talks to the control room to inform his decision! What the holy hell is that?!

That's "the game" in 2019.

Guys shouldn't be "getting away" with injuring other players because the ref "didn't see it."

It's not at all consistent - which is undoubtedly a problem. But it doesn't make it "wrong."

Heck, there's another sport that's now got a ref in the stands that can overturn or even call a penalty after watching it on TV.

19 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's "the game" in 2019.

Guys shouldn't be "getting away" with injuring other players because the ref "didn't see it."

It's not at all consistent - which is undoubtedly a problem. But it doesn't make it "wrong."

Heck, there's another sport that's now got a ref in the stands that can overturn or even call a penalty after watching it on TV.

Yeah I get that. So hurry up and change the rules to make all of this explicit instead of whim or whatever the **** it is now. It's entirely capricious. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah I get that. So hurry up and change the rules to make all of this explicit instead of whim or whatever the **** it is now. It's entirely capricious. 

I get the frustration and agree with it. It does sometimes feel too much like the rules can be whatever the league wants them to be whenever they want them to be that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, radoran said:

You know the game has changed a lot since 1993, right?

True, but the rules haven't changed much.  :)

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't at all disagree that the result of the penalty was called.

Oh whew! We're on the same page.  :)

31 minutes ago, radoran said:

That's just the way the game is these days.

Should we replace the referees altogether and just use video review for everything?  I think that's the next move the league makes.

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

We're at the point now where you might as well delete the referees and just have people in the control room calling penalties. They can watch the game on video and catch everything. During a play stoppage, they can call out penalties that occurred on the previous play so nothing will ever get missed again and every call will be right.

Although, it will make the game very different than it has been up until now. 

My stance on video review has always been "no" and my opinion hasn't changed. I think it ruins the flow of the game and I think it exists only to exploit advertising space and extend the length of games. It's a cash grab, plain and simple. I'm fine with the refs getting it right 95% of the time and missing calls. The occasional blown calls make for interesting discussion. 

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

43 minutes ago, radoran said:

They never have. The league has always reviewed game footage for questionable plays after the game ended and used that to determine suspensions.  :)

Edited by WordsOfWisdom

9 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

They never have. The league has always reviewed game footage for questionable plays after the game ended and used that to determine suspensions.  :)

Yeah, but they don't, for example, penalize Crosby for smashing a guy in the nuts from behind with his stick...

The sad thing is humans aren't perfect and the humans calling the games will make mistakes.

This is true whether it's on the ice, in the stands, or in the "war room" in Tronno.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah, but they don't, for example, penalize Crosby for smashing a guy in the nuts from behind with his stick...

Did the player collapse to the ice and split his head open after being hit in the nuts?  ;)

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

The sad thing is humans aren't perfect and the humans calling the games will make mistakes.

This is true whether it's on the ice, in the stands, or in the "war room" in Tronno.

Which is why I think we should leave it to the refs on the ice and ditch the video reviews.  All it took was ONE blown call against Vegas and this became a topic... which always happens a year or two after a league implements video review for the very first time and proudly proclaims that penalties will not be reviewable. 

Once you start down the dark path (video review), forever will it dominate your destiny.  lol.  ;)

On 4/30/2019 at 6:05 AM, flyercanuck said:

Rick...did you just open another account?

LOL.  No its not me.  And I have not been booted.  Remember my skills on the old Inquirer?  That beastly freaking site with no moderation of any kind?  LOL.  I have not been their in ages.  You guys used to eat that Kuato guy for lunch. I wonder what ever happened to that dude?  Do you remember him?  

10 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

LOL.  No its not me.  And I have not been booted.  Remember my skills on the old Inquirer?  That beastly freaking site with no moderation of any kind?  LOL.  I have not been their in ages.  You guys used to eat that Kuato guy for lunch. I wonder what ever happened to that dude?  Do you remember him?  

I must say Rick....I LMFAO on that site when you first joined. Kuato was just a total douche...but you were funny. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Which is why I think we should leave it to the refs on the ice and ditch the video reviews.  All it took was ONE blown call against Vegas and this became a topic... which always happens a year or two after a league implements video review for the very first time and proudly proclaims that penalties will not be reviewable. 

Once you start down the dark path (video review), forever will it dominate your destiny.  lol.  ;)

I hear you. But if a ref blows an offsides that leads to a goal and changes the outcome of a series and a season ("destiny") I think video review isn't  necessarily a Bad Thing. (See: Stickle, Leon)

7 hours ago, radoran said:

I hear you. But if a ref blows an offsides that leads to a goal and changes the outcome of a series and a season ("destiny") I think video review isn't  necessarily a Bad Thing. (See: Stickle, Leon)

Out of curiosity, why can't they review the goal at the actual location? Why "Tronno"? 

What happens if they lose their communication link? LOL.  ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

It explains everything. The problem is you just don't like the answer. Not my problem it's yours. Good day sir.

its a non critical thinking, coincidence theorist answer.

it just happened, man, thats all.... You simply refuse to want to know the truth.

that night, the Sharks won their 113th playoff game on the 113th day of the year.

that is not a coincidence. that is pure predetermined outcome. theres no way in hell thats luck.

the apology is a mocking of you the fan because they know your unable to grasp the biggest hints.

no one scores 4 goals in three minutes unless the other team straight just lays down.

its season 101 and the Sharks are the only team to finish season with 101 points.

• Uggh... 2