NHL apologizes to Vegas for penalty that did them in vs Sharks

I confess I thought the game was over.  It was 3-0 Vegas and I turned it back on when I saw the score was 4-3.  It turns out that the league has apologized to Vegas for a 5 minute major on a cross check  to the chest that never should have been a 5 minute major they now say. The Sharks scored 4 times during the  penalty.  It killed Vegas's season.  Another one they got wrong it appears.  The Sharks looked flat and old to me in the double OT.  A mistake gave the Sharks the opportunity they needed to beat Fluery and move on. But I had no idea how they got to that point.  I know too well what its like losing to the bloody Zebras.  99 in Buffalo still stings. Well the so called experts are picking San Jose in 7 just like they are picking Boston.  I strongly disagree.  I think Colorado has a big chance to jump on them in game one as they are rested and should be a faster team.  We shall see

14 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

the league has apologized to Vegas for a 5 minute major on a cross check  to the chest that never should have been a 5 minute major they now say.

Which is just absurd. The league has been harassing officials into making these sorts of calls to stop exactly the kind of hit that took out Pavelski and then they turn around and throw the officials under the bus.

Maybe Eakins didn't deserve a five minute major. But maybe Stastny did.

There's a whole thread on it.

15 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

The Sharks scored 4 times during the  penalty.  It killed Vegas's season.

Only the second time in league history that a team has scored four goals on a five minute major. The first goal was six seconds into the PK.

The penalty didn't kill Vegas's season. The Knights terrible PK "killed" their season.

16 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I know too well what its like losing to the bloody Zebras.

The Knights tied the game up and sent it to overtime. They had every chance to win the game. They didn't.

It wasn't the "zebras" that ended Vegas' season. It was Vegas.

• Like 4

Thinking on this a little more - does anyone think that if Vegas doesn't have an historically epic meltdown on the PK that the league "apologizes" for that call?

'cause I don't.

Kind of ironic the league is apologizing for the refs penalizing the outcome of the penalty while apologizing for the outcome of the penalty...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Maybe Eakins didn't deserve a five minute major. But maybe Stastny did.

For the life of me I don't understand how people can make this point about Stastny. Even if he is aware that Pavelski is off-balance, which I doubt, he's just trying to do his job which is to get to the point on a lost faceoff. Pavelski is in his way. He has to go through him somehow. Anyone who thinks that Stastny is thinking about anything other than that is smoking something. It's the only thing going thru his mind: get to my man, get in the lane, get out there.

I don't get it, I don't get it at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, radoran said:

The Knights tied the game up and sent it to overtime. They had every chance to win the game. They didn't.

Plus it was the third game they could have eliminated SJ, with game six ending with a SHG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Anyone who thinks that Stastny is thinking about anything other than that is smoking something.

Well they better share.

Pass the dutchie to the left hand side...

But wait there's more...

Game 2 of the Leafs-Bruins matchup was a doozy.

You may remember an enraged Nazem Kadri cross checking the head of Jake DeBrusk after the game escalated into a dangerous display of hockey?

Well, both referees — Brad Meier and Trevor Hanson — have not been selected to continue into the second round.

Meanwhile, Dan O’Halloran and Eric Furlatt — the officials of Game 7 between San Jose and Vegas — are also on the chopping block after a very questionable major penalty call.

It’s the first time in more than a decade that O’Halloran will miss the Conference Final.

But as always too little to late. Were they not paying attention to the officials during the season??

Should they have been coaching them up then too???

Do they NOT think the bad calls affected the seeding too??

13 hours ago, Podein25 said:

For the life of me I don't understand how people can make this point about Stastny. Even if he is aware that Pavelski is off-balance, which I doubt, he's just trying to do his job which is to get to the point on a lost faceoff. Pavelski is in his way. He has to go through him somehow. Anyone who thinks that Stastny is thinking about anything other than that is smoking something. It's the only thing going thru his mind: get to my man, get in the lane, get out there.

I don't get it, I don't get it at all.

Well, I do make the point that it could be rather than should be. And I've made the explicit point (in the thread on the subject) that he doesn't have the intent to injure. Not having "intent" and not causing injury are, of course, two different things.

Wanting "to get to the point on a lost faceoff" doesn't mean that you can't commit interference while doing so and pushing another player (who doesn't have the puck) to the ice would seem to fall into the category of potential interference. "Going through a player somehow" is also interference if that player doesn't have the puck...

Just because a player is "in the way" doesn't mean you "get" to do whatever you want to go "through" that player.

Further, pushing a player to the ice who then gets a head injury is exactly what the NHL has been trying to legislate out of the game for quite a while now.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

Vegas owner, Foley is pushing hard for a rule change where major penalties can have a review with a coaches challenge.  --  I'm in agreement.

Who does that review? The league? The official who called the penalty?

Again, the problem here wasn't the penalty in and of itself, it was Vegas' penalty kill that gave up four goals in a five minute major for only the second time in league history.

If that doesn't happen, we're not having this conversation, the league isn't apologizing, O'Halloran is likely refereeing the second round even after calling the penalty, and Foley isn't all up in arms because his team failed in epic fashion to eliminate the Sharks in three straight games.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, hf101 said:

Vegas owner, Foley is pushing hard for a rule change where major penalties can have a review with a coaches challenge.  --  I'm in agreement.

Knee jerk reaction just like the NFL playoff debacle between the Saints and Rams........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Well, I do make the point that it could be rather than should be. And I've made the explicit point (in the thread on the subject) that he doesn't have the intent to injure. Not having "intent" and not causing injury are, of course, two different things.

Wanting "to get to the point on a lost faceoff" doesn't mean that you can't commit interference while doing so and pushing another player (who doesn't have the puck) to the ice would seem to fall into the category of potential interference. "Going through a player somehow" is also interference if that player doesn't have the puck...

Just because a player is "in the way" doesn't mean you "get" to do whatever you want to go "through" that player.

Further, pushing a player to the ice who then gets a head injury is exactly what the NHL has been trying to legislate out of the game for quite a while now.

Fair enough. I hadn't thought about the possibility that it could be interference on Stastny's part. Have you then considered the possibility that it is interference on Pavelski? 'Cause he's definitely in the way, blocking Stastny's path to the puck.

The more I think about this, the more it bugs me.

Firstly, it's rewarding poor behaviour on the side of Vegas. I dislike the sort of carry on that happens whenever anyone carries on about officiating, and when it's paired with lobbying to change the rules, well, it shouldn't be rewarded.

Secondly the league seems to have a paper thin loyalty to its officials, willing to throw them under the bus when criticised. The AFL goes for the compete opposite, where if coaches criticise the umpires they are fined due to a general position that the umpires shouldn't be undermined publicly like that. Instead, there's an official channel to deal with these issues (and they actually are dealt with properly instead of the public kangaroo court the NHL seems to prefer).

Bah.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Have you then considered the possibility that it is interference on Pavelski? 'Cause he's definitely in the way, blocking Stastny's path to the puck.

Having been illegally cross-checked by Eakins.

Players are allowed to be "in the way" - deliberately or not. They are not allowed to purposefully interfere with another player who does not have the puck by, say, pushing him to the ice.

I'm just saying that if your assertion is that Stastny has every right to push Pavelski to the ice in that situation simply because he's trying to get superior position, it's not entirely beyond the pale to see that as potential interference.

http://www.hockeycentral.co.uk/nhlrules/Rules-56.php

Body position shall be determined as the player skating in front of or besides his opponent, traveling in the same direction. A player who is behind and opponent, who does not have the puck, may not use his stick, body or free hand in order to restrain his opponent, but must skate in order to gain or reestablish his proper position in order to make a check.

A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed.

The actions of a player who does not have body position, but instead uses illegal means (e.g. hook with stick; hold with hands) to impede an opponent who is not in possession of the puck. Illegal means are acts which allow a player to establish, maintain or restore body position, other than by skating.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who restrains an opponent who is attempting to "forecheck".

The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of interfering with an opponent

surely, not everyone here is someone who thinks everything they watch is pure and honest competition.

surely I cant be the only one with my view. in the real world , that game was over. But not in sports entertainment world.

that game was fixed as the day is long. theres no reason for 2 guys simultaneously take a guy down.

no teamscores that often,that fast. It was hilarious to watch. theres so much more going on then the typical fan realizes.

as of 4 years ago, I realized Pro sports is entertainment,not competition. the apology is just a propaganda smokescreen.

2 hours ago, davethehammer said:

surely, not everyone here is someone who thinks everything they watch is pure and honest competition.

surely I cant be the only one with my view. in the real world , that game was over. But not in sports entertainment world.

that game was fixed as the day is long. theres no reason for 2 guys simultaneously take a guy down.

no teamscores that often,that fast. It was hilarious to watch. theres so much more going on then the typical fan realizes.

as of 4 years ago, I realized Pro sports is entertainment,not competition. the apology is just a propaganda smokescreen.

The NHL can't tell if their asses are punched or bored, but they're capable of rigging the league for a century, and nobody saw behind the curtain and not one person ever spilled the beans? The one pro sport that turned out to be a work was wrestling, but everybody knew it anyway. It didn't even matter anyway: multiple times over the decades, people within wrestling exposed the business as being a work.

-Wouldn't just one owner of a chronically losing team have eventually stood up and said "Hey; I didn't spend all of this money just to endlessly volunteer to look like I don't know how to run a business!"

-If pro sports was a work, wouldn't these leagues try a little harder to look like they know what they're doing, instead of ceaselessly looking incompetent?

-Why the hell am I giving this sort of stuff any time at 1:40 in the morning?

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The NHL can't tell if their asses are punched or bored, but they're capable of rigging the league for a century, and nobody saw behind the curtain and not one person ever spilled the beans? The one pro sport that turned out to be a work was wrestling, but everybody knew it anyway. It didn't even matter anyway: multiple times over the decades, people within wrestling exposed the business as being a work.

-Wouldn't just one owner of a chronically losing team have eventually stood up and said "Hey; I didn't spend all of this money just to endlessly volunteer to look like I don't know how to run a business!"

-If pro sports was a work, wouldn't these leagues try a little harder to look like they know what they're doing, instead of ceaselessly looking incompetent?

-Why the hell am I giving this sort of stuff any time at 1:40 in the morning?

you dont understand. Each league is one business. There is no competition.Every owner profits. they only care about money,not wins.

, because you cant fathom it, theres no way its possible? lol its easy when you have billions to spend.

i dont need to know exactly how they do it. I'm smart enough to know that exciting endings cant happen on a weekly basis unless its manipulated and staged. you cant keep calling it coincidence or poor officiating. you ask- how can they possibly do it? apparently very easily because no one has the common sense to know what they are looking at.

6 hours ago, davethehammer said:

, because you cant fathom it, theres no way its possible? lol its easy when you have billions to spend.

I reject this ridiculous, impossible and obtuse conspiracy theory on the same grounds that I reject all ridiculous, impossible and obtuse conspiracy theories.

Three people may keep a secret, but only if two of them are dead. A rigged game masquerading as sport which generates almost $5 billion in revenues would create a conspiracy which requires upwards of literally 1,000+ people at any given time, not to mention the countless people who have worked in the NHL over the years, but nobody has EVER said or leaked any of that information. Going back to wrestling, because it's the perfect example... In the 1920s, it morphed from a legitimate and competitive sport into what we know now as pro wrestling, with match results being pre-determined by promoters, all with a goal of keeping it a secret.

Within just a few short years, one of the first major promoters, Jack Pfeffer, found himself locked out of the New York territory by his former partners, and blabbed about all of wrestling's secrets to the press. Over the decades, various other performers, from journeymen like Jim Wilson to stars like Thunderbolt Patterson, also exposed the business. A little bit more than 11,000 men have played in the NHL over its history, and not one has spilled the beans? Countless coaches, executives, owners, trainers, reporters, TV executives, etc, etc, etc... None have uttered a word. The Mafia had more loose lips to deal with. On its face, the idea that this many people could keep such a thing secret is monumentally ridiculous and insulting to the intelligence of people with an IQ at pool temperature. The more people required to make a conspiracy work, the more likely it is to fall apart at some point.

As with all conspiracies, there is a profound lack of evidence. There are vague allusions which point to come-from-behind victories and unlikely scenarios, but in the end, when real plans are uncovered, there is often mountains of verifiable documentary evidence which demonstrates the agreement among its participants to further the cause of the conspiracy. In the case of the NHL (or any other pro sport) there isn't one single piece of actual evidence. There's just "Yeah, right! Four goals on one major penalty?!"

This leads to another classic failing of conspiracy theorists, where they hold that the people involved in these plans are so clever and meticulous that they are able to cover up a huge and tangled network of lies and schemes, even when the evidence of their actual ineptitude is all around us. The NHL has long made things up as they go, creating silly rules, without testing them, seemingly with little thought into whether they'll help, hinder or are even wanted. They constantly show themselves to be bush league, yet are somehow capable of a grand scheme to rig their league on a nightly basis? The NHL couldn't rig a church bingo game.

This leads to a natural question, as I see it: why? What's really in it for the NHL to spend all of the huge amounts of time and money that such a massive conspiracy would require when there any number of legitimate ways to try and attract more eyeballs to hockey games? Does all of the effort from the San Jose / Vegas game 7 fix bring a large number of new viewers, or keep fans who would go away? No. There is so little reward from engaging in a scheme that difficult and expensive to pull off that there really would be no point to even engage in it in the first place, and when any Tom, Dick or Harry can quickly think of any number of superior methods which would have better results than the conspiracy, then the usefulness of the conspiracy falls apart pretty damned quickly.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and I just don't have the common sense to know what I'm looking at.

Edited by JR Ewing
wordz
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

I reject this ridiculous, impossible and obtuse conspiracy theory on the same grounds that I reject all ridiculous, impossible and obtuse conspiracy theories.

Three people may keep a secret, but only if two of them are dead. A rigged game masquerading as sport which generates almost $5 billion in revenues would create a conspiracy which requires upwards of literally 1,000+ people at any given time, not to mention the countless people who have worked in the NHL over the years, but nobody has EVER said or leaked any of that information. Going back to wrestling, because it's the perfect example... In the 1920s, it morphed from a legitimate and competitive sport into what we know now as pro wrestling, with match results being pre-determined by promoters, all with a goal of keeping it a secret.

Within just a few short years, one of the first major promoters, Jack Pfeffer, found himself locked out of the New York territory by his former partners, and blabbed about all of wrestling's secrets to the press. Over the decades, various other performers, from journeymen like Jim Wilson to stars like Thunderbolt Patterson, also exposed the business. A little bit more than 11,000 men have played in the NHL over its history, and not one has spilled the beans? Countless coaches, executives, owners, trainers, reporters, TV executives, etc, etc, etc... None have uttered a word. The Mafia had more loose lips to deal with. On its face, the idea that this many people could keep such a thing secret is monumentally ridiculous and insulting to the intelligence of people with an IQ at pool temperature. The more people required to make a conspiracy work, the more likely it is to fall apart at some point.

As with all conspiracies, there is a profound lack of evidence. There are vague allusions which point to come-from-behind victories and unlikely scenarios, but in the end, when real plans are uncovered, there is often mountains of verifiable documentary evidence which demonstrates the agreement among its participants to further the cause of the conspiracy. In the case of the NHL (or any other pro sport) there isn't one single piece of actual evidence. There's just "Yeah, right! Four goals on one major penalty?!"

This leads to another classic failing of conspiracy theorists, where they hold that the people involved in these plans are so clever and meticulous that they are able to cover up a huge and tangled network of lies and schemes, even when the evidence of their actual ineptitude is all around us. The NHL has long made things up as they go, creating silly rules, without testing them, seemingly with little thought into whether they'll help, hinder or are even wanted. They constantly show themselves to be bush league, yet are somehow capable of a grand scheme to rig their league on a nightly basis? The NHL couldn't rig a church bingo game.

This leads to a natural question, as I see it: why? What's really in it for the NHL to spend all of the huge amounts of time and money that such a massive conspiracy would require when there any number of legitimate ways to try and attract more eyeballs to hockey games? Does all of the effort from the San Jose / Vegas game 7 fix bring a large number of new viewers, or keep fans who would go away? No. There is so little reward from engaging in a scheme that difficult and expensive to pull off that there really would be no point to even engage in it in the first place, and when any Tom, Dick or Harry can quickly think of any number of superior methods which would have better results than the conspiracy, then the usefulness of the conspiracy falls apart pretty damned quickly.

Or maybe I'm wrong, and I just don't have the common sense to know what I'm looking at.

Well this is the first I have heard of any type of conspiracy behind this game?  But you have shot that down in very good style.  Everything you say makes sense.  Its funny about the church bingo game.  I have often wondered about some NFL contests being bought and paid for?  I mean, there are some of these games its tough to believe the refs are so stupid.

As for game 7, the Vegas team did get screwed. I still do not know how the hell you allow 3 PP goals even if its a damn 5 minute major?  I mean, most of the time, teams find a way to kill off these types of penalties with minimal damage. Even 2 goals would be acceptable to a degree.  3?    Unreal.  A total meltdown by the team and Fluery.

I thought the game and series was done.  I even texted a friend in San Jose, my condolences on your Sharks.  He is actually a Sabres fan that moved out there years ago and has taken in the Sharks as his second fav.  He still is Sabres first and our record vs the Sharks is mind boggling.

Enough to make you wonder about conspiracies in that.  Buffalo owns them over the history.  But Vegas should still be playing. 3-0 in the third period and after you had blown a 3-1 lead in the series and you  find a way to screw it up?  Unreal. But to me, its bad on the refs.  They really screwed that one up.  

It takes an act of God to get the  NHL to apologize to a team during the playoffs.  Are you kidding me?  The NFL would never do it. Even if they knew they were wrong. Actually they did  do it in the case of the Rams and Saints.  The Rams earned that victory though and I just hate the crap coming their way when they  did not make the call.  Pass interference?  Was the ball even catchable?  Maybe.  Over and done just like game 7.  Refs should be held accountable for calls like this one in game 7.

But Vegas never should have allowed them to score 3 freakin goals.  With  the likes of Fleury in the nets its mind boggling.  The Sharks wont have it easy going forward,  Now they go to Colorado tied. I do want them out for the reason that I cant stand Burns.  But anyway, nice shoot down of the conspiracy theory.  Very eloquent.

Edited by pilldoc
made it more readable

7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

its not theory, its a fact thats been happening in all leagues since day one.

saying you dont believe it wont make it not real. pro sports was invented to profit the gambling industry and govt. not to feed you honest competition.

This leads to another classic failing of conspiracy theorists, where they hold that the people involved in these plans are so clever and meticulous that they are able to cover up a huge and tangled network of lies and schemes, even when the evidence of their actual ineptitude is all around us

the fact is, anyone with common sense knows that you cant be a billionaire/in the company of billionaires unless you are dishonest to the core. everything they do is to rip the common man off. just because a dumb ass at your job cant keep a secret , it has nothing to do with a billion dollar business. all you know is you turned on your tv and watched a game. you cant for one second say who does and thinks what, outside the ice.

As with all conspiracies, there is a profound lack of evidence.

theres no lack of evidence. Its simply the fans inability to recognize fakery when they see it.

I dont need an authority figure to tell me its happening. all you need is the common sense to know fantastic finishes to games cant keep happening every week, unless its manipulated and staged. they wouldnt make billions if it simply played out naturally.

its not remotely impossible to do. for you it is. not for billionaires with power and resources.

Alec Martinez.. the only player in Hockey with that last name. Just happened to be on the LA Kings. LA, a city with a large Mexican and spanish population.. just happens to have a player named Martinez. the only player in Hockey history with that name. And he's the one who scores the winning goal in OT for the Stanley cup!?! thatys not coincidence by any stretch of a childish imagination. that cant happen unless planned. 

the two videos below cant be disputed. this is proof.

this video is proof beyond any doubt that technology scored the goal, not physics

in no way, shape or form can you argue this is a coincidental bounce. Proof, its nothing but proof.

trying to explain it away is denial/cognitive dissonance.

the Sharks are the only team in playoffs , to finish season with 101 points ,in the 101st season. that may significantly already indicate something.

and of Course Vegas lol, such blatant fixing to get them to the finals. what a major coincidence to profit and attract attention while the Raiders are moving in as well. And i guarantee the Raders will be a playoff team as soon as they move there. Just like the Rams were as soon as they moved to LA. its so obvious how its done now.

Also, over more then the last 10 years.. at least one team in California , in at least one of the four major sports has made it a conference championship or final. Thats impossible without premeditated external execution.

On 4/25/2019 at 2:55 PM, radoran said:

Which is just absurd. The league has been harassing officials into making these sorts of calls to stop exactly the kind of hit that took out Pavelski and then they turn around and throw the officials under the bus.

Then you have to ban ALL hitting.  That's where we're at. If you so much as touch a player and he lands sideways on the ice, it's a 5-minute major now. The league is killing itself with terrible penalty calls and bogus suspensions. 

What if that was a CLEAN BODY CHECK that ping ponged him between the two players and the same result occurred? It would have been the SAME penalty! 

The league is trying to wrap the players in bubble wrap and it's a contact sport. Injuries WILL happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Boy...just when I thought some Wild fans on this site were drunk with conspiracy theories and no one could touch their insanity... 
:confused[1]:

Like Mr. Miyagi said... "Yes, I know karate...but somebody always know more.."  :bigteeth:

Insanity  is a a legal term. It has nothing  to do with the psychology profession. Mental illness has nothing  to do with disagreeing with the origin  and purpose of something. 

Are you denying the blatantly  obvious  videos? Those are distinct visual  proof. Youre absolutely  correct. I know more than  any sports fan who thinks sports isn't staged and fixed. 

3 hours ago, davethehammer said:

Insanity  is a a legal term. It has nothing  to do with the psychology profession. Mental illness has nothing  to do with disagreeing with the origin  and purpose of something. 

Are you denying the blatantly  obvious  videos? Those are distinct visual  proof. Youre absolutely  correct. I know more than  any sports fan who thinks sports isn't staged and fixed. 

Rick...did you just open another account?

• Haha 1