Flyers to buyout MacDonald

AJgoal

I guess I'm not going to worry about the dead money.

I'm just looking at it as freeing up 3.8 mill in cap space...subtracting Gudas and Mcdud and adding Niskanen, corsi be damned or his age and it looks better to me.

Kids get more minutes and see what else happens.

Man it seems like Mcdud has been here so looooong...I can't even believe he is gone.

What a great day.

• Like 2

I'm glad he's gone, but that was going to be true whether or not there was a buyout. 

So far, our defense is already better with a few simple moves. I really do think there is more to come on defense. 

• Like 1

This is just telling me that even retaining salary they couldn't get anything for MacDonald.

But the signing was still "a good one" to some.

This was an egregious mistake emblematic of the past five years. 

• Like 3

Keeping AMac and letting him walk next year to not have to keep salary was the best option because we didn't need the cap at all this year and have the full salary off the books....zzzipp...Fast Forward today after the trade for Gudas for Niskanen, and the purpose for him and how he is going to be used with the young D. I can see how this had to be done. We have/had two vets in Niskanen and AMac. One who was going to be playing heavy minutes and another who was sitting in limbo in and out of the lineup. AMac was not going to allow for Niskanen to flow with Vet experience and side affects of it, not directly but inderectly on how the flow in the locker room/ new coaching staff/style-system of play in having a vet like McDonald holding on, on the team makeup.

It's like during a movie scene having a great guy in a movie that is great to have around but holding down the group of survivors that have a chance to make it out. People were sad he was gone, but now the flow of everything else is more connected and fluid.

Now Niskanen is the only vet the young D can look to and see how to properly play the game off the ice* and have someone in the trenches with you as oppose to a locker room quarterback who is respected but dynamically is not involved on the ice.

Had Gudas and AMac been there Niskanen would be another vet that might be clouded in his message of how player takes on his responsibility as a pro. Having Gudas and AMack on the roster just lessons indirectly what Fletcher wanted the D to be like and how to play the game.

I like Gudas and AMac I didn't hate. He was a "sign" of his time of what the market asked at the time.

Fletcher has been astute in how to move his own parts. In getting rid of AMac, he cleared the path for Niskanen and opened up salary that he put himself into when retaining Gudas salary, but it allows Myers to get in there and continue his development, live in games.

Was the Gudsa trade/Amac buyout, a slight fumble, recovery of the ball?

What I'm seeing is dynamic thinking as things occur.

We don't have anchors on our team, anymore(on the ice or in the locker room) since he's taken over.

Is he being a "nice guy" GM in helping out other GM's for futures? Or a "little reckless" in trade/recovery management?

So far things have fallen/are falling into place in a structured manner.

*(yes off the ice)

Edited by LegionOfDoom
clarity, proof reading.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:34 PM, AJgoal said:

@NHLFlyers: Per GM Chuck Fletcher: The #Flyers have placed defenseman Andrew MacDonald on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract.

Well, not what I would have done, but it seems like an indication that the Flyers intend to spend this summer. 

But did they buy him out or just waive him?  

I guess they waived to see if anyone would take him (just in case) and might buy him out now?

Buying him out saves more money.

10 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I guess they waived to see if anyone would take him (just in case) and might buy him out now?

Yeah, they're likely just putting him out there in the event someone would be silly enough to pluck him of waivers. I can't imagine a world in which that happens, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:57 AM, LegionOfDoom said:

Keeping AMac and letting him walk next year to not have to keep salary was the best option because we didn't need the cap at all this year and have the full salary off the books....zzzipp...Fast Forward today after the trade for Gudas for Niskanen, and the purpose for him and how he is going to be used with the young D. I can see how this had to be done. We have/had two vets in Niskanen and AMac. One who was going to be playing heavy minutes and another who was sitting in limbo in and out of the lineup. AMac was not going to allow for Niskanen to flow with Vet experience and side affects of it, not directly but inderectly on how the flow in the locker room/ new coaching staff/style-system of play in having a vet like McDonald holding on, on the team makeup.

It's like during a movie scene having a great guy in a movie that is great to have around but holding down the group of survivors that have a chance to make it out. People were sad he was gone, but now the flow of everything else is more connected and fluid.

Now Niskanen is the only vet the young D can look to and see how to properly play the game off the ice* and have someone in the trenches with you as oppose to a locker room quarterback who is respected but dynamically is not involved on the ice.

Had Gudas and AMac been there Niskanen would be another vet that might be clouded in his message of how player takes on his responsibility as a pro. Having Gudas and AMack on the roster just lessons indirectly what Fletcher wanted the D to be like and how to play the game.

I like Gudas and AMac I didn't hate. He was a "sign" of his time of what the market asked at the time.

Fletcher has been astute in how to move his own parts. In getting rid of AMac, he cleared the path for Niskanen and opened up salary that he put himself into when retaining Gudas salary, but it allows Myers to get in there and continue his development, live in games.

Was the Gudsa trade/Amac buyout, a slight fumble, recovery of the ball?

What I'm seeing is dynamic thinking as things occur.

We don't have anchors on our team, anymore(on the ice or in the locker room) since he's taken over.

Is he being a "nice guy" GM in helping out other GM's for futures? Or a "little reckless" in trade/recovery management?

So far things have fallen/are falling into place in a structured manner.

*(yes off the ice)

I mean, nothing about this seems excessively astute or insightful to me.  It was always likely a given to happen either last year or this year and with Morin hurt, they really couldn't try it last year.  

If they move on to buying him out, then they're only paying him for another year and it gives more cap space for this year.  Waiving him without buying him out only makes sense if you think you're going to need the full cap hit next year and not this year. 

As far as moving Gudas and Amac both, I don't see any fumble/recovery involved at all.  They were always going to have to move someone, they simply have too many Defensemen. 

If Fletcher is still thinking on Trouba or Myers or someone, they'll have to move more.

I'm under no impression that he's done on defense.    

4 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, they're likely just putting him out there in the event someone would be silly enough to pluck him of waivers. I can't imagine a world in which that happens, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Yeah, he's already cleared.  

The only reason it might make sense is if a team needed help hitting the cap floor, and I can't imagine teams are in that position yet with 7/1 and the draft still approaching.

Doing it now is likely just trying to give AMac the full UFA period to find a new job.  No team was going to pay him his full salary when they know they could get him for about a million or two once he clears.

It works out for AMac too, he'll get the his Flyers salary plus whatever someone offers him.  We don't like him, but he's not a bad player at $2million or less.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, King Knut said:

They put him on waivers in order to buy him out. They announced they are terminating his contract.

EDIT: And they have to buy him out now. The buyout window closes before the UFA period starts.

Edited by AJgoal

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

They put him on waivers in order to buy him out. They announced they are terminating his contract.

EDIT: And they have to buy him out now. The buyout window closes before the UFA period starts.

The only scenario in which I could have imagined them keeping him is if they took a player back in a trade that they preferred to buyout instead and didn't want two buyouts on the books.

MacDonald as an AHL call up isn't a terrible usage of him, but I guess he's just c-blocking Friedman at that point.  

Well, one thing for sure:  We will have one less thing to bitch about on this board.  That is a blessing.

Writ large, I hope the franchise learns a lesson or two from this long-term ideal.  First, don't make long-term contracts based on 10-20 game tryouts.  Second, put past performance into contact.  A terrible Islanders team used AMac as a first or second pairing d-man out of necessity.  We thought he was really suited to that role.  He wasn't.  The rest is a very sad history.  

I wonder if someone picks him up down the road as a cheap spare for depth?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

The only scenario in which I could have imagined them keeping him is if they took a player back in a trade that they preferred to buyout instead and didn't want two buyouts on the books.

MacDonald as an AHL call up isn't a terrible usage of him, but I guess he's just c-blocking Friedman at that point.  

Too late I guess.

Chuck wanted the 3.8 mill to work with instead of just 1 mill it would have created.

That tells me he is going to make some aggressive moves and is freeing up space to he has options.

It's coming soon...

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Well, one thing for sure:  We will have one less thing to bitch about on this board.  That is a blessing.

Writ large, I hope the franchise learns a lesson or two from this long-term ideal.  First, don't make long-term contracts based on 10-20 game tryouts.  Second, put past performance into contact.  A terrible Islanders team used AMac as a first or second pairing d-man out of necessity.  We thought he was really suited to that role.  He wasn't.  The rest is a very sad history.  

I wonder if someone picks him up down the road as a cheap spare for depth?

Niskanen has already taking his place with some here before he has even placed them up.

It's Philly bro.

You would have some get pissed they won the lottery and whine they paid them in all ones...

SMFH

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Niskanen has already taking his place with some here before he has even placed them up.

I don't imagine many people are too pissed at getting Niskanen. He's only on contract for a couple of years anyway. I think if the coaching staff wants this guy, they may as well give him a shot at least. If it doesn't work out, he won't be around for long anyway.

3 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I don't imagine many people are too pissed at getting Niskanen. He's only on contract for a couple of years anyway. I think if the coaching staff wants this guy, they may as well give him a shot at least. If it doesn't work out, he won't be around for long anyway.

Oh no look around this board and other it started time it went down...it's the Philly way.

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Too late I guess.

Chuck wanted the 3.8 mill to work with instead of just 1 mill it would have created.

That tells me he is going to make some aggressive moves and is freeing up space to he has options.

It's coming soon...

Yeah, that's what I assume too.

And I'm pretty nervous about how crazy it's going to get.  There are definitely pieces that'll help a ton, but I don't think they need to give up too much and I don't think they need to screw their cap situation for the next decade... again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Yeah, that's what I assume too.

And I'm pretty nervous about how crazy it's going to get.  There are definitely pieces that'll help a ton, but I don't think they need to give up too much and I don't think they need to screw their cap situation for the next decade... again.

I agree I want change to but like you at what the change could be and at what price...

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh no look around this board and other it started time it went down...it's the Philly way.

The guy isn't even a real Finn. He's a faux Finn. And what kind of silly name is "Matt"? Almost sounds Swedish.

👺

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

The guy isn't even a real Finn. He's a faux Finn. And what kind of silly name is "Matt"? Almost sounds Swedish.

👺

HA it's funny you should say that, i seen an article the other day where a reporter though he spoke excellent english and was impressed since he was from Finland and all....it's funny they don't even know anything about the folks they are interviewing.

Even his grandparents were born in America, their parents were from Finland.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I agree I want change to but like you at what the change could be and at what price...

The more I think about it, the more buying him out doesn’t make sense at all. 

According to cap friendly, you only save $3 million off the cap by buying him out this year.  That’s a good amount, but you have to pay it against the cap next year too. 

If they spend all of that 3 million and go right up against the cap, they’ll still be right up against it next year when Nolan Patrick and  and Oskar Lindblom and Robert Hagg will be UFA.  Each should get at least double what he’s making now even if he has the same exact season. 

In fact, there’s. O real cap relief in sight after this year until Giroux and Coots come off the books three years from now, so Frost, Farabee or Radcliffe can’t even make the team until 2022 without roster moves.  

At BEST, Fletcher is pinning to dig one million into that 3 million dollar cap space and hope Patrick, Lindblom and Hagg don’t progress at all and maybe regress and he trades Hagg. 

At worst he’s assuming he’ll be able to trade dead weight at some point, which isn’t really a safe assumption.  

I’m interested to see what he’s got up his sleeve, but I AM NOT interested in inheriting Toronto or Tampa’s skates and the token cap screwed team unable to resign the promising UFAs.   

I say say it’s better to waive him and keep him in LHV.  You save, what? About a million in cap space this year and can spend right up to that cap number knowing that next year you’ll get the full 5 million In relief to resign guys or make another move.  

Edited by King Knut

13 hours ago, King Knut said:

I mean, nothing about this seems excessively astute or insightful to me.  It was always likely a given to happen either last year or this year and with Morin hurt, they really couldn't try it last year.  

I don't think they would of wanted to buy him out last year; trade most likely a possibility.

As far as moving Gudas and Amac both, I don't see any fumble/recovery involved at all.  They were always going to have to move someone, they simply have too many Defensemen. 

The fumble was retaining part of Gudas salary and after better heads prevailed, the recovery was that he chose to buy out AMac's contract to recoup that money to not let an opportunity slip in case he would need that amount to sign a big fish and be able to sign his RFA's

Looking at it out of a vacuum, it's not much. Putting this in a vacuum, for a bigger picture act, he micro screwed himself in the slightest and then caught himself and postured himself back in alignment from a stumble.

I don't look fondly too much at having him take on a higher cost contract And retaining salary and not get compensated for doing that by receiving a prospect or 5th or 7th round pick in return.

If a plumber visits your site to unclog your pipes because you called him to do that, but then you see there's a leak on the faucet and you ask him if he can take on the leak and reapply plumbers tape or pull out a new gasket. The plumber should be compensated for the extra work he's doing besides the first job.(Helping out the team by taking on a bigger contract) The leak part of this deal (retaining salary %)

I think Fletch should have pushed for a prospect/pick back(a 5th, 6th or 7th for which he gave up a 5th earlier)

Fletcher seems like a fair GM but if there has to be wiggle room he seems to cede to the other GM so far.