Wild Free Agency Thoughts: 2019 Edition...

Not sure how much of the $19 in cap space will be left after he signs Donato, Fiala, Eriksson-Ek, Belpedio, Soucy, and Warner. And again, at some point the Wild need to start giving guys like Kunin, Donato, Eriksson-Ek, and Fiala prime ice time in order to see if they they can develop, rather than keeping Staal, Parise and Koivu happy...

52 minutes ago, TonyOday said:

I love this lineup if we can get rid of Brown. It is either going to show Fenton is a genius or get us a top tier pick.

After Browns little indiscretion at the end of the season, wouldn't surprise me if the team puts him on waivers to send him to Iowa. Either someone else will pick him up, he gets buried in Iowa, or he refuses to go to Iowa and then becomes a free agent...

• Like 4

I hadn't looked up all of Fiala's stats until now for some reason, but at no point in his minor or professional career has he been a particularly high goal scorer or assist man. 

I'm convinced with Fiala it's what you see is what you'll get. I guess if we don't expect more out of him than that, and can sign him pretty cheap, he's a seviceable NHL player as a 3rd or 4th liner.

Edited by sweetshot

5 hours ago, sweetshot said:

I hadn't looked up all of Fiala's stats until now for some reason, but at no point in his minor or professional career has he been a particularly high goal scorer or assist man. 

I'm convinced with Fiala it's what you see is what you'll get. I guess if we don't expect more out of him than that, and can sign him pretty cheap, he's a seviceable NHL player as a 3rd or 4th liner.

Which is a piss poor return on trading Granlund...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Which is a piss poor return on trading Granlund...

You got that right! I do hope MG does better this year in Nashville--I think him getting traded really bothered him and affected his game.

8 hours ago, sweetshot said:

You got that right! I do hope MG does better this year in Nashville--I think him getting traded really bothered him and affected his game.

And he got traded just as his girlfriend was in labour. That prolly shook things up as well.

20 hours ago, sweetshot said:

As @IllaZilla said, if what you say is correct then that is awful return for Granlund.  In fact, if all he's going to be is a 3rd liner (which to be honest I think his ceiling is higher than that) we would've been more than justified in asking for a 2nd or even an 1st round pick PLUS Granlund considering the deal took place at the trade deadline.  It is precisely why the 'hockey trade' 1-for-1 was such a lame cop out by Fenton in the first place.  'Hockey trade's don't happen when you're trading away a top 6 forward at the deadline when you are the team selling on the proven commodity.  It is also why so many GM's / league people called on Russo asking about Granlund to see if there was some other part to the story considering the Wild sold so low; but all Russo could say was that Fenton REALLY liked Fiala.  To quote the Common Man...sad, really...

I think with time Fiala might be a solid 2nd liner.  But he has to eliminate his strange penchant for his blind passes of the puck when pressured to the middle of the ice.  Those are simply recipes for disaster.  That isn't as much about a skill as its simply being smarter.  One would hope more experience would help fix that part of his game.  Will he be a game breaker...no.  And that comment certainly didn't help.  It just became another Wild punchline, just like the Our Ice campaign.  

4 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

And he got traded just as his girlfriend was in labour. That prolly shook things up as well.

No doubt.  But Fenton has shown little regard for the players that were here besides the older vets.  He probably already got told those guys can do as they wish.  But the rest...who cares.  As @IllaZilla has stated on other threads.  Granlund didn't need to be moved at the deadline.  We easily could've waited and kept him and then traded him before the draft if we thought he was going to ask for $8 million plus which he probably will unless he has a crappy season this year.  Fenton was bound and determined to get Fiala and he probably didn't care who he had to move to get him.  Russo even reported that initially it was Granlund AND another asset straight up for Fiala.  So as bad and lopsided as the trade was, it nearly was even worse.  

Wayne Simmonds....no thank you.....Pavelski....IDK, both seem like guys who could end up being buyouts within three years... Anders Lee ...yes but he's going to Chicago. Fenton should resist 401K contracts and instead target youth and speed up front, growing pains be damned...

9 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Wayne Simmonds....no thank you.....Pavelski....IDK, both seem like guys who could end up being buyouts within three years... Anders Lee ...yes but he's going to Chicago. Fenton should resist 401K contracts and instead target youth and speed up front, growing pains be damned...

The Simmonds rumors remind me of the Wild’s pattern of every year bringing in a “tough guy” to add “grit” to their soft as butter roster. Yeah he’s a right wing, but he’ll be taking ice time away from younger players unless they stick him on the third or fourth line. And if that is the plan, they better get him cheap and for only a year or two. And no NTC. 

Last I heard Pavelski is going to Dallas. Let the Stars pick up his retirement contract. The Wild are already stuck with three and possibly four retirement contracts. 

Anders Lee, ok, but how many former captains are you going to collect? And again, where will he play? He’s a lefty. Like the Wild haven’t already cornered the market on leftys. If you put him on a top line, he’s going to bump a young guy to the third or fourth line. 

This team is going to be mired in mediocrity until the come to the realization that they just aren’t that good and need to rebuild with youth and quit signing every old guy that comes along to a retirement contract with a NMC...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Russo is now reporting that the Wild are going hard after Mats Zuccarello and Ryan Hartman. 

So Fenton trades away a young 5’8” playmaker only to overpay to acquire an older 5’8” playmaker because he didn’t want to overpay the younger playmaker.  

Hartmans a fourth liner at best. As long as he gets him cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Russo is now reporting that the Wild are going hard after Mats Zuccarello and Ryan Hartman. 

So Fenton trades away a young 5’8” playmaker only to overpay to acquire an older 5’8” playmaker because he didn’t want to overpay the younger playmaker.  

I've pretty much given up trying to figure Fenton out.

"Speed and Youth!!"....And yet we hear names like Pavelski, Kessel, Simmons and now Zucs.

To me it sounds like a PR move for recognizable names and/or local boys to restock the Warming House.

And then continue the 'plan' by getting Fiala's and Donato types.

I’m just curious where all these players are going to play. Brown is probably gone, and the 4C is open now that Fehr’s gone. But that’s just two spots on the fourth line. I doubt Zuccarello is going to be paid $4-$5M to be on the fourth line...

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Both(Zuccarello and Hartman) are not impressing me at all with their stats. They better bring  Sturm, Mayhew, and Rau to the 4th line of the main roster to create that line  young, speedy, productive, dangerous to play against, poised to elevate the entire team's play level . What is the status of Panarin? Did he choose already a team where he is going to play? Probably, Florida Panthers. He is an extremely hard workhorse ( in all 4 seasons he played in NHL) but from my understanding he is too expensive for us ( he is looking for 11-12$M per season for a 7 years term or at least to match with Jeff Skinner contract ).

59 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Wild Free Agency Conundrum: to Spend or Not to Spend

I wrote this up, considering the latest Russo rumors including some information I recently learned myself.  Check it out.  

In my opinion, now would be the perfect time to not spend and give the major roles to the young guys. See what Kunin, Donato, and Fiala can do on the top lines. Give Mayhew a shot. Fenton said younger and faster. So do it. Stop signing older UFA’s to long term deals that block the progress of younger players. Stop extending older players and giving them NMC’s. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

In my opinion, now would be the perfect time to not spend and give the major roles to the young guys. See what Kunin, Donato, and Fiala can do on the top lines. Give Mayhew a shot. Fenton said younger and faster. So do it. Stop signing older UFA’s to long term deals that block the progress of younger players. Stop extending older players and giving them NMC’s. 

I agree 100%

Everyone’s wetting their pants over Zuccarello, but last I saw according to CapFriendly he was going to clock in at around $6+M/5 years and a NMC.

Which also means Fenton has to protect him in the Seattle Expansion Draft.