Laine or Marner?

CoachX

Both these guys are unsigned? Could the Flyers make a trade them and who would they have to give up to get one?

No way I move Ghost or Provy, but is Sanheim valuable enough?

The issue then becomes the cap space to sign them. Sanheim alone doesn't get you that.

And it would be hard for Tronno to add that space. Winnipeg less so.

IMO the Jets would want far too much to get Laine.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Both these guys are unsigned? Could the Flyers make a trade them and who would they have to give up to get one?

Well first off since we are talking about unsigned RFAs I would prefer to go with a cheaper option...a guy who wants around 7 mill per season...his name is Brock Boeser.

He would fill out the RW hole nicely...

Giroux -Couturier - Boeser

JVR - Hayes - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Koencny 

Raffl - Laughton - Pitlick

Now the cost would more than likely start with Sanheim but if I am giving up Sanheim I want a guy like Boeser back.

Maybe a pick in there too like a 3rd or 4th.

Edited by OccamsRazor

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well first off since we are talking about unsigned RFAs I would prefer to go with a cheaper option...a guy who wants around 7 mill per season...his name is Brock Boeser.

He would fill out the RW hole nicely...

Giroux -Couturier - Boeser

JVR - Hayes - Voracek

Lindblom - Patrick - Koencny 

Raffl - Laughton - Pitlick

Now the cost would more than likely start with Sanheim but if I am giving up Sanheim I want a guy like Boeser back.

Maybe a pick in there too like a 3rd or 4th.

It's interesting idea. I don't know what Vancouver has sitting around for defensive prospects. I can't imagine they'd get rid of Boeser, but maybe if they have a dearth of incoming dmen or something. 

I'm pretty doubtful it would happen, but I'd go for it if it were a possibility.

That said, assume boeser came in at 7M as you say, it would only leave 6M for Provo. I have to imagine Provo is asking for more than 6M, or they would have signed him by now.

17 minutes ago, elmatus said:

It's interesting idea. I don't know what Vancouver has sitting around for defensive prospects. I can't imagine they'd get rid of Boeser, but maybe if they have a dearth of incoming dmen or something. 

I'm pretty doubtful it would happen, but I'd go for it if it were a possibility.

That said, assume boeser came in at 7M as you say, it would only leave 6M for Provo. I have to imagine Provo is asking for more than 6M, or they would have signed him by now.

It's a pipe dream but he and the Canucks are having issues agreeing on a deal so maybe the would be interested.

However it would create a hole for them.

So it's why it would be a pipe dream.

Sanheim would be a nice addition to their top 4.

• Like 1

No its not going to happen and it can't happen unless the Flyers are willing to offer either Marner or Laine 10.5+ million dollars per year and then give up the four (4) 1st round draft picks as compensation ......  The only other option is to offer Marner or Laine the max at 4.2 million per year and give up their  2nd round draft pick....that simply is a pipe dream.  Not going to  happen unless you move salary back the other way.  Toronto was in Cap Hell themselves, no way they are taking salary back (No .. I'm not moving Sanheim..... and the Laffs can't afford Jake)

Winnipeg has room, but do they want Jake...??????

As mentioned above there is no cap room. Period. End of Story.  The Flyers still have to sign TK and Provy.  

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR EITHER LAINE OR MARNER ........ It's nice to dream, but it is not going to happen.  

Remember folks new for this year the NHL:

The team submitting the offer sheet has to have all of the required compensation picks, and they have to be their own picks. They have to be picks for the next draft (so 2020) unless they are required to have two picks of the same round. Then they can have two of the next three year’s picks to offer.

The Flyers traded away their 3rd Round 2020 pick to the Sharks for Justin Braun.

image.png.67a9154e3a720b6245be1e874bf4699f.png

image.thumb.png.b2dd6fad86cde3175bf09f0b45f583b8.png

Just now, Podein25 said:

So, what I hear you saying is that there's a chance. It's just really, really small.

0.0000000001%

Do you really want to pay Laine 10+ million per year and give up four (4) 1st round picks for a player who only scored 50 pts last year (30 G / 20 A) and virtually disappeared in the playoffs?  

(Face you are not getting him at 4 million / year)

I offer you Exhibit A ... A certain player just got 7.1 milllion x 7 years for 19 G / 36 A = 54 pts ..   At this point you Laine has not proven anything on a consistent basis .........

If the Flyers pay that then I personally will buy you a flock of sheep!  :P

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

The Flyers traded away their 3rd Round 2020 pick to the Sharks for Justin Braun.

Compensation doesn't not have to occur in consecutive years. You can skip years.

15 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Do you really want to pay Laine 10+ million per year and give up four (4) 1st round picks for a player who only scored 50 pts last year (30 G / 20 A) and virtually disappeared in the playoffs?  

No.

I would not be happy with this effort.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

0.0000000001%

(Face you are not getting him at 4 million / year)

I offer you Exhibit A ... A certain player just got 7.1 milllion x 7 years for 19 G / 36 A = 54 pts ..   At this point you Laine has not proven anything on a consistent basis .........

If the Flyers pay that then I personally will buy you a flock of sheep!  :P

I was just fooling around. I don't want Laine at that price, maybe not at *any* price. He's a one dimensional player right now. Relatively easy to shut down that one dimension on most nights. On other nights he takes care of it for you by not showing up or being in a slump. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I was just fooling around. I don't want Laine at that price, maybe not at *any* price. He's a one dimensional player right now. Relatively easy to shut down that one dimension on most nights. On other nights he takes care of it for you by not showing up or being in a slump. 

Oh... I know..... I don’t want Laine at that price either.....

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Compensation doesn't not have to occur in consecutive years. You can skip years.

I thought the same ... however I double checked all my references... see my post above...if compensation (for a 2019 RFA) requires a 3rd rounder it must be 2020.   It can’t be a 2021 3rd rounder....  etc....

Odd season for Laine...almost broke the monthly goal record with maybe the most torrid November of all time. Rest of the year he scored 6 goals. He's kind of a 1 trick pony that has not shown consistency with that 1 trick. He is gonna want to get paid for projection and upside...I'd let somebody else take the chance. Not enough cap space anyways. He will either score 50 or score 30 and get paid like a 50 guy. Lots to like...but the Jets are in a real conundrum here.

I wasnt really considering an offer sheet. I was referring to pssible trade options.

At this point, could the Flyers trade Sanheim (theoretically) for Laine or Marner? If so, what would it take and would it be worth it?

And most posts are discussing Laine. What about Marner?

30 minutes ago, CoachX said:

What about Marner?

I did address it ....

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Toronto was in Cap Hell themselves, no way they are taking salary back (No .. I'm not moving Sanheim..... and the Laffs can't afford Jake)

As I mentioned above, I'm not moving Sanheim and I'm not moving TK or Provorov.  (Both Provy and TK have yet to sign .......)

The Flyers cannot afford Marner.  Period. Even though the Flyers have ~13 million in Cap Space the combination of Provy / TK / Marner >> 13 million.

And as I mentioned above the Laffs were in Cap Hell.  they only have~ 3 million left under the Cap ...they simply cannot take salary back.

As much as I would love to have Marner in O&B it simply cannot be done with out giving up multiple players and prospects. (and I'm sure the name they want is Frost and is untouchable at this point IMO)

So no....as I mentioned above, neither Laine is or Marner is an option for the Flyers .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

What about Provorov and a player not named Frost?

Could it get done and would you do it?

If you didnt have Provy you can afford Marner

No...... why would you move a 1st pairing d-man???

And... the Leafs can’t afford Provy who is due a raise....

It’s nice to dream ... but let this one go....

Edited by pilldoc

Only reason to move a 1st pair Dman is because you cant sign him or the return is better/more valuable to your team

If the Leafs have the money to sign Marner (which they claim), then they have the money to sign Provorov 

49 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Only reason to move a 1st pair Dman is because you cant sign him or the return is better/more valuable to your team

Then you create a hole at defense ...that is a Homer move....  Who do you plan on plugging in at D?

50 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If the Leafs have the money to sign Marner (which they claim), then they have the money to sign Provorov 

Who is saying they have the money to sign Marner?  The Leafs?? Ha.....  They only have 3.7 million in cap space.....  They have to move salary...period.... if they want to keep Marner.   Marner had a breakout year last year...he will get somewhere around 7-8 million per years at least...from someone but it won't be from the Flyers......

As one of my daughters favorite Disney characters sings ..... Let it go ......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

I trade Ghost and keep Sanheim. 

Sanheim is way more valuable to me. 

I like Laine and would love if he were a Flyer but if any of this were possible and cost were equal, I think I would prefer Marner. 

• Like 2