Where Do Flyers Rank in Metropolitan for '20?

Howie58

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Flyers

Capitals

Canes

Devils

Islanders

Rangers

Blue Jackets

Penguins

:ph34r:

(The Pens finish last...not the ninja.)

tryin' to sandbag again eh ?

Until 87 and 91 aren't on the team your guys will be relevant. 

Your guys will start the season with a full quiver and on paper that team looks dangerous to me.

I think the Pens are a little thin in the bottom 6 but the top 6 is still really talented, so all the bottom six guys need to do is not lose games.

As always it will come to health- can your top 4 D stay available ? Will Murray spend a month on the DL ? can Jarry be as good as he was last year if Murray "murrays"?

Edited by mojo1917

@vis

thank god you were :toast:

I reckon I'll need to find a new signature shortly since the off season is almost over- I'm ready for some hockey, this off-season has felt sooooo long.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

A true hockey fan right there. Raise expectations for the enemy fans and manage your own teams expectations. 

Smart. Very smart. 

Not shocked. 

Fine.

*Capitals

*Flyers

Canes

Devils

Islanders

Rangers

Blue Jackets

Penguins

Better? :DancingGrape:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Until 87 and 91 aren't on the team your guys will be relevant. 

91? We got Stamkos!?!?!  :DancingGrape:

In all seriousness (trying really hard) I would not be shocked if the Pens win the division nor would I be shocked if they were the 8 seed.  the Metropolitan is wide open.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B21 said:

91? We got Stamkos!?!?!

Pray that you don't.  He's going to miss over half the season this year due to injury.   He'll go down somewhere in early- to mid-December.

Book it.

EDIT:  I have to tag @TropicalFruitGirl26 just for fun.   I'm serious about the above, by the way.  It's one of my pre-season predictions.  I'm fairly confident of this one (though based on absolutely nothing other than trend and gut).

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

this off-season has felt sooooo long.

Yeah, no playoffs means a long offseason.  We are in the dog days of it now, but camp will be here soon.  At least some of the media types are starting to put out their team previews for the season, which should stoke some conversation.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Pray that you don't.  He's going to miss over half the season this year due to injury.   He'll go down somewhere in early- to mid-December.

Book it.

EDIT:  I have to tag @TropicalFruitGirl26 just for fun.   I'm serious about the above, by the way.  It's one of my pre-season predictions.  I'm fairly confident of this one (though based on absolutely nothing other than trend and gut).

Nope, sorry.
Can't happen anymore.

Stammer's agent had a "no more freak accident' clause added to his contract.... :shifty::bigteeth:

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, OccamsRazor said:

You really need to find another hobby.

How you guys (you know who you are) can worry sooo much about a team who hasn't even practiced once much less even played a game.

All that worrying isn't healthy....ya stomach must be riddled with ulcers.

It's going to be ok.

Trust.

The.

Process.

Later jumping in the pool with a cold beer enjoy your weekend.

Later.

I knew i would get a response like that

🍺

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

:hyper:

Very cool. I'll take it because I didn't disagree with anything he said prior to that. 

I really wasn't being sarcastic or ironic or whatever with my post. Barring an extended injury to Carter Hart, I'm really very bullish on this season. 

• Like 1

I have always thought the VeeGees ® Radoran all rights reserved  were good players. As fans we've been having to talk ourselves into the Dale Wiesse's and Matt Read's of the game as viable secondary scoring threats for so long  some people have become understandably gun shy.

Truly this year there should be no excuses for poor play. New coaches, a pretty good top 9 group of forwards some young studs in the making on the blue line, some vets who can play and have demonstrated track records of success...( can you tell I've been working on my resume'?) Finally a goaltending prospect.  Last year the goalie carosel was truly a team wrecking situation.  But the expectation from the goaltending was, well these guys don't suck... This year the bar is set higher. 

I'm bullish on this team too, I think they could be very good and exceed expectations. 

Sign the two young guys and let's drop the puck already.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

New coaches, a pretty good top 9 group of forwards some young studs in the making on the blue line, some vets who can play and have demonstrated track records of success...( can you tell I've been working on my resume'?) Finally a goaltending prospect.

Sorry you forget one thing...and NO Andrew F**KING Macdonald!!!!!!!!!!!

Carry on.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, ruxpin said:

Barring an extended injury to Carter Hart, I'm really very bullish on this season. 

I tell you what will help a lot...

- getting more than just two power play goals from Giroux. Fewest since 2 in 42 games in 2008-09.

- getting more than 14 points from Ghost on the power play.

- being better than the 2nd worst (191 goals against only one worse was Ottawa) they were last year 5 on 5.  3rd worse goals against average of 3.41 per game. Ottawa 3.67 Chicago 3.55.

Hart should go along way in reducing this. Hart was tied for 3rd overall with a 916% 5 on 5 with all goalies who at least played 15 games.

These are just a few places they can start to improve on that will pay dividends.

CONSISTENCY. And playing from the drop of the puck!!

*We gave up the first goal like EVERY game last year (forgot the actual stat but it's horrendous). Playing from behind every game is not a recipe for winning.

*  in 2017-2018 we had a 10 game loosing streak immediately followed by a 10 game winning streak.....then in 2018-2019 we had an 8 game loosing streak followed immediately by an 8 game winning streak! That's really odd....for ANY professional sport. Try finding another franchise in any pro sports who did that. JECKLYE and HYDE! loosing 10 in a row is pretty dismal, but to then WIN the the very next 10 games in a row.....just flat out odd.

* I really hope AV, and other coaching additions/changes, coupled with some veteran presence on the blue line, and CARTER FU*KING HART will be the remedy for the above....

As to the point of the thread, I see the flyers in the playoffs for sure (if not, oh boy...watch out Philly), and think they finish like 3rd in metro maybe?....teams like Isles and Columbus are "opening doors" for us in that division. We better take advantage!

Not sure if this was posted or not.. .

FWIW, they have the projected forward lineup as

G/Coots/TK

JVR/Hayes/Voracek

Lindblom/Patrick/Andreoff

Laughton/Raffl/Pitlick

That's similar to what Meltzer was predicting as well. Unless Frost or Farabee absolutely earn a spot in camp, it makes the most sense for them to start in LHV, get familiar with the pro game and life away from billets, and if they play well after an adjustment period, bring 'em up. I mean, personally, I think Frost and Farabee would easily eclipse Andreoff's career high 10 points, so we'll see.

Hradek predicts the Flyers make the playoffs, the other dude not so much.

Biggest question mark is in goal, and I tend to agree with how he framed it. The long-term view on Hart is that he'll be a stabilizing #1 goalie, but what about this year, his rookie year, where he's now expected to be the guy? Would not be at all unusual to see him struggle. And to have Elliott as the backup is also a question mark.

DROP. THE. PUCK.

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

Andreoff

Wait a second.....who the F is Andreoff?!?.....Thought I followed this team pretty close.

I mean, I even caught the Pitlick signing (maybe best name on the team right now...)

NEVERMIND....Google is my friend.

"Andreoff has 24 career NHL points in 159 games and all of them have come with the Los Angeles Kings"

Come on Farabee or Frost! Take the leap!

Edited by MaineFlyFan

12 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Wait a second.....who the F is Andreoff?!?.....Thought I followed this team pretty close.

I mean, I even caught the Pitlick signing (maybe best name on the team right now...)

NEVERMIND....Google is my friend.

"Andreoff has 24 career NHL points in 159 games and all of them have come with the Los Angeles Kings"

Come on Farabee or Frost! Take the leap!

Lol, at the very most, he's a stopgap.

So if he makes the team, it's less about Andreoff being better and more about Frost and Farabee needing a bit of time.

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Bring on the NAK!

Just for you...

Aube-Kubel’s advanced stat line, we should note, was undeniably impressive.

He put up a 51.18 CF% in his 33 games tracked, one of only two Phantoms to break the 50 percent mark last season, per Brad’s manually tracked data. 

Additionally, per my manually tracked transition data, in his first eight games with the Phantoms before his recall to the Flyers, Aube-Kubel controlled 23 of his 41 entries into the offensive zone (56.1 percent), that is, skated the puck in, and eight of his dump ins/passes in were recovered, meaning that when Aube-Kubel was tasked with getting his line the entry, the Phantoms ended up with possession 75.61 percent of the time.

:beer:

#notbadforabum

As we broke down in the season recap, he’s proved a strong possession player, and showed hints of being able to translate that to the NHL level (a 55.26 CF% in those nine games played).

Edited by OccamsRazor

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Aube-Kubel controlled 23 of his 41 entries into the offensive zone (56.1 percent), that is, skated the puck in, and eight of his dump ins/passes in were recovered, meaning that when Aube-Kubel was tasked with getting his line the entry, the Phantoms ended up with possession 75.61 percent of the time.

Where can we see the raw data on this and compare to other players. I don't see this on the chart on the link. 

I mean it sounds impressive, but I don't know enough about some of these slush stats to know what is considered good.