Game 36: Flyers at Ottawa; 12/21/19 @ 7

Howie58

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 13 Kevin Hayes - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel
18 Tyler Pitlick - 48 Morgan Frost - 93 Jakub Voracek
10 Andy Andreoff - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 44 Chris Stewart

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim - 61 Justin Braun
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 5 Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
37 Brian Elliott

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, JVR, Konecny, Provorov.
Power Play 2: Frost, Hayes, Voracek, Gostisbehere, Niskanen.

Scratches: 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 44 Chris Stewart (healthy).
NHL Suspension: 49 Joel Farabee (game 3 of 3).
IR: 21 Scott Laughton (groin)
LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 12 Michael Raffl (broken right pinky finger), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

SENATORS

7 Brady Tkachuk - 44 Jean-Gabriel Pageau - 28 Connor Brown
90 Vladislav Namestnikov - 51 Artem Anisimov - 63 Tyler Ennis
13 Nick Paul - 71 Chris Tierney - 10 Anthony Duclair
21 Logan Brown - 64 J.C. Beaudin - 36 Colin White

72 Thomas Chabot - 29 Cody Goloubef
74 Mark Borowiecki - 26 Erik Brannström
39 Andreas Englund -- 27 Max Lajoie

41 Craig Anderson
35 Marcus Högberg

Power Play 1: Tkachuk, Pageau, Brown, Duclair, Chabot
Power Play 2: Namestnikov, Anisimov, Ennis, White, Brannström

Scratches: 29 Cody Galoubef (healthy), 89 Mikkel Boedker (healthy), 81 Ron Hainsey (knee)
IR: 2 Dylan DeMelo (broken finger), 22 Nikita Zaitsev (foot), 31 Anders Nilsson (concussion), 49 Scott Sabourin (broken nose)

This was ugly but it is two points.  Moose kept them in it during the first and held the fort in OT and SO.  

The Ottawa coach looks like he should be auditioning for "On the Waterfront" or a "Green Book" sequel.  All while chewing gum like a savage.  

Flyers win No. 20 of the season on Dec. 21. In 2018-19, the Flyers notched their 20th victory on Jan. 28.

JVR has eight goals in the last 11 games after netting only four in the first 25 games.

Last season, from Jan. 10 to March 21, the Flyers went 21-8-2 as van Riemsdyk scored 20 goals in those 31 games.

Edited by OccamsRazor

NAK belongs on this team if he keeps playing like that. Great forecheck by Frost on the 3rd goal. I thought they were toast after going down 3-2. When was the last time anyone saw JVR move as fast as he did on his 2nd goal? That's the frustrating part...you know he can do it, he just doesn't for the most part. We should have scored on 4 or 5 occasions in OT. Elliot kept us in that one. His save percentage and GAA might not be great in that one but he made a lot of good saves.

• Like 1

I know AV's been great, but to put N.AK on the second line RW, I never saw him doing that. Pleasantly surprised by his coaching.

Where's Frank Seravalli's 600k overpay for Kevin Hayes? Chuck Fletcher has been looking like he's known a thing or two on his GMing' and hoping his pieces will work with what the team needs were. 

• Like 1

And I think we can put to rest the idea that dressing a goon puts the fear of God into your opposition and prevents them from targeting your talented players. 

Sorry Stewie...your NHL career is over. What a waste of 6 degrees of Minnesota franchise building. 

2 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I know AV's been great, but to put N.AK on the second line RW, I never saw him doing that.

Only 5 forwards had more ice time than NAK.

G, TK, Coots, JVR and Hayes.

I thg think the kid will stick around.

His 5 on 5 play and PK ability will find a spot for him.... @CoachX ain't going to like that but he'll come around.

Last year this team would have probably deflated after the tie and subsequent falling behind.  They persisted.  

JVR may look slower than he really is.   He is so big that his strides may seem slower.  That said, he is a streaky dude and when he's on, he's on.

Another puzzle is what happens when Raffl returns?  And what about Patrick...though probability seems slimmer with every game.

3 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Another puzzle is what happens when Raffl returns? 

Good problems to have I say Joel should be back next game vs Rangers.

When Raffl is ready

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Hayes-Farabee

Pitlick-Frost-Jake

Andreoff-Raffl-NAK

Then when Laughton is ready...

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Hayes-Farabee

Laughton-Frost-Jake

Pitlick-Raffl-NAK

Then when Patrick comes...nevermind...

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This was ugly but it is two points.  Moose kept them in it during the first and held the fort in OT and SO.  

The Ottawa coach looks like he should be auditioning for "On the Waterfront" or a "Green Book" sequel.  All while chewing gum like a savage.  

Lol, I don't even understand any of this - haven't seen Green Book and too young for the first - but man is that funny nevertheless.

8 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

And I think we can put to rest the idea that dressing a goon puts the fear of God into your opposition and prevents them from targeting your talented players. 

Sorry Stewie...your NHL career is over. What a waste of 6 degrees of Minnesota franchise building. 

Nobody in the league is afraid anymore. The linesmen babysit all the little rats. However, December in Ottawa has no similarities to Washington in May. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Good problems to have I say Joel should be back next game vs Rangers.

When Raffl is ready

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Hayes-Farabee

Pitlick-Frost-Jake

Andreoff-Raffl-NAK

Then when Laughton is ready...

Giroux-Coots-TK

JVR-Hayes-Farabee

Laughton-Frost-Jake

Pitlick-Raffl-NAK

Then when Patrick comes...nevermind...

Id rather have NAK on the second line RW, put Farabee on third line LW with Frost and Jake. Laughts, Clitlick and Raffl on 4th line. Farabee will probably score more on his natural wing and by going up against lesser competition.  We can roll 4 pretty good lines. If Patrick comes back, Frost can go to LV and get big minutes and then maybe next year we move Patrick to RW so Frost can play center. If in the offseason we know that Lindblom is coming back we can trade JVR especially if he continues scoring for the rest of the year. 

6 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, I don't even understand any of this - haven't seen Green Book and too young for the first - but man is that funny nevertheless.

Pods:

Viggo Mortenson...the enforcer type:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgbNVbIaEs

Or Marlon Brando....that coach looks a little like he will knock the crap out of someone who doesn't play up to par.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiewQrpBBA&t=11s

• Like 1