We really need some help on offense.

RonJeremy

17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I prefer "exploitable" the way you're framing it, myself. 

Exposed works too but slightly different. 

Anyway, very fair argument regarding the bottom six. Frankly, it's what you're going to get given the experience level and injuries.  

It's just going to be uneven and inconsistent with this many kids compounded by the injuries.   Anyone expecting much more than fighting for lower end playoff seed coming into the season was deluding themselves. 

It's a better team than we've been and will only get better as injuries heal (hopefully) and people continue to grow. 

The constant "sky is falling" hysterics is really becoming tiring (that's MY problem. People are welcome to their opinions). 

I'm with you on most of this, though I don't think most of us knew what was going on with Patrick until camp and they didn't announce what it actually was until the season started.  Then the whole Oskar thing is just a major wrench in the works (obviously more importantly for him and for his whole damn life than the team) but nonetheless, the point is, if the team enters the season and maintains having both those guys (remember Oskar was leading the team in goals), the bottom 6 has a completely different look.  Suddenly you're not relying on Raffl and Laughton for 15 minutes a night and secondary scoring.  

I think they're easily 2nd in the division with comfortable playoff hopes if Oskar and Patty were playing all year.  

As it is, top players can only safely play 20 minutes or so a night (and that's not really even that safe), so we have to roll 4 lines and right now the 3rd and 4th are a bit more scketchy... at least when AV can't control who they're out there against.  

On the hysterics... Amen... no, I mean AMEN!  

Overall, they're significantly better than they were last year and they don't need a miracle to make the playoffs, they just need to lose a bit less on the road.  That's it.  That really SHOULD be manageable.  

The main thing I feel like getting hysterical about this year is the damn schedule, which just seems absolutely insane with these back to backs.  I have no idea what the league is thinking, but frankly, I'm a little surprised, we're ONLY missing 7 players to injury right now (granted 3 of them can't be blamed on the schedule).  

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

Hot ot and cold is pretty much how the game goes and a lot of it has to do with the fact that other teams play strong defense too.  They can shut down good players some nights.  

I  understand the other teams play tight defense, but i cant see that you faced a great defense for 18 straight games.  We have too many guys that disappear for too many games.

9 hours ago, King Knut said:

The main thing I feel like getting hysterical about this year is the damn schedule, which just seems absolutely insane with these back to backs. 

Look, they just lost at home to a team playing the back end of a ROAD back to back.

It's the schedule.

It's injury.

It's this that and the other thing.

After 7 years it maybe just could be that this team isn't that good.

We'll find out over the next five weeks.

I believe they CAN do something here regardless of the various reasons they haven't yet.

But until they DO they're just the same team that hasn't yet.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

pusillanimous

One of my favorite words, and I rarely get to see it.   Well done, sir!

(Growing up, it was the only word that my dad remembered from his SATs and from the time I was like 6 years old and would get the lecture about how I had to study to get in a good college and how hard the SATs were--they weren't--this was the word he'd repeatedly cite.  Of course, he also had the wrong definition)

Edited by ruxpin

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

One of my favorite words, and I rarely get to see it.   Well done, sir!

(Growing up, it was the only word that my dad remembered from his SATs and from the time I was like 6 years old and would get the lecture about how I had to study to get in a good college and how hard the SATs were--they weren't--this was the word he'd repeatedly cite.  Of course, he also had the wrong definition)

thank you!

in honesty, I just recently came upon this word. Wow, what a lot of wasted time and missed opportunities. However, I never seem to find appropriate times to use it

🍻

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If they can keep guys like JVR and Jake contributing nightly they won't need any major trades.

If this roster plays to it's potentially they can beat anyone. Hell we have seen it.

But that is a big IF!

Thats our biggest problem , we do have talent but Jake and JVR are so damn streaky and G is as well , but not as bad. They have been trying to get Jake to shoot the puck more often since we acquired him. Its even in his scouting report, he holds the puck too long and makes a low percentage passes , when hes in a better position to score himself.  He could easily score 35 if he shot more often, but I guess he isnt gonna change after 10 years. Its like the fat guy that says ..i gotta go on a diet. as he rolls through the McDonalds drive through. Hes aware of the problem but just cannot apply the solution.

I wanna see a line of Farabee, G and NAK. Im curious to see if NAK is the real deal and putting him with a couple of playmakers will show us if he can really be a finisher for this team.  Even if they try it out in practice and see if there is chemistry.  Other than TK, I dont see the other Flyers having that ability that NAK has, to find the open ice and get off a good shot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Its even in his scouting report, he holds the puck too long and makes a low percentage passes , when hes in a better position to score himself.  He could easily score 35 if he shot more often, but I guess he isnt gonna change after 10 years.

He has a very average shot. It's not particularly quick, or hard, or accurate. And so he's also not a confident shooter. He puts it in the goalie's bread basket most of the time. Has he worked on it? Not a lot of evidence for that. I don't understand how players don't improve parts of their game. It's their job, it's all they do.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

He has a very average shot. It's not particularly quick, or hard, or accurate. And so he's also not a confident shooter. He puts it in the goalie's bread basket most of the time. Has he worked on it? Not a lot of evidence for that. I don't understand how players don't improve parts of their game. It's their job, it's all they do.

It all comes down to that laid back personality that carries over on the ice. Too many of our guys have that mellow dude persona.  We need a few Type A personalities to light a fire on this team. Does Pete Rose 's son play hockey?

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

It all comes down to that laid back personality that carries over on the ice. Too many of our guys have that mellow dude persona.  We need a few Type A personalities to light a fire on this team. Does Pete Rose 's son play hockey?

I guess that could be part of it. I mean, sure, it's always the big guys like JVR who have zero snarl to their game, I don't get how you get to be a pro hockey player and not be more naturally competitive. But some of what you see as "laid back" is pros trying to keep an even keel. You can't play the game, especially today's game, by being all cranked up all the time. It demands composure, you have to engage your frontal cortex a bit you know?

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I really to miss the Hartnell or Max Talbot types.  I don't think it was just the crowd they elevated.  Whether they were considered leaders or not -- I think they both were -- they had to raise the room just by example.

Others too.  But I agree we don't really have that.  Different era, so there's not really a plethora of that anywhere anymore, but there are some.

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really to miss the Hartnell or Max Talbot types.  I don't think it was just the crowd they elevated.  Whether they were considered leaders or not -- I think they both were -- they had to raise the room just by example.

Agreed. Guys like Podein.

• Like 1