Pegulas Fire Everybody

radoran

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

No, not the fools running the team or the underachievers on it

Just the arena staff that's cut loose amid the Coronavirus pandemic.

IMO, this is simply shameful. I revoke my fandom.

What a piece of shite. Not as an owner, he already was that. As a human.

• Like 3

Seriously. I work in the Mooseheads arena and we paid our hourly's 4 weeks before they have to worry about EI.

As Salary I continue to get paid regardless.

And the owner, rich as hell, of a real NHL team, just send them packing?

This **** should go viral. People are going to shame the hell out of him into backtracking this

9 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Seriously. I work in the Mooseheads arena and we paid our hourly's 4 weeks before they have to worry about EI.

As Salary I continue to get paid regardless.

And the owner, rich as hell, of a real NHL team, just send them packing?

This **** should go viral. People are going to shame the hell out of him into backtracking this

What's he worth...$5 billion? He could pay ALL their wages for a year and not even notice it. How greedy can you get.

That article doesn't help support what I'm about to write. 

Let's not be so quick to judge.

He may have fired them so they can collect unemployment. 

I know several business owners that have taken similar action; a restaurant owner we know closed for 4 months so their staff could collect unemployment.

It could be that Pegula actually did them a solid. 

(Though the handshake deal for hiring back at lesser salary doesn't give the good feels.)

I really think it's important we lighten up on each other right now. 

This quarantine and hardship will not last forever, but the damage to relationships could. 

It could be when we get to the other side of this we need each other to get through the financial problems that will have arisen.

That's my hope anyway, that we quit blaming the other and begin to reach down (and up) to help one another.

kum bye ah my lord....

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

How long before the next NHL/sports team owner follows suit?

The Flames were actually the first:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-flames-hourly-and-event-employees-won-t-be-paid-during-covid-19-closure-1.4853294?cache=yes%3FclipId%3D373266%3FclipId%3D89926

And then (somewhat) reversed course:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/scotiabank-saddledome-calgary-flames-raymond-lau-1.5498490

54 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I know several business owners that have taken similar action; a restaurant owner we know closed for 4 months so their staff could collect unemployment.

I get that and I know many similar places that have done the same.

Generally, UI is less than you would normally get.

Pegula could afford to keep these people whole and then go the UI route later if this looks to be interminable. Again, comparing a local small business to a multi-billionaire-owned sports team is apples and monkey wrenches.

In the end, the billionaires are saving themselves money and are costing us money to take care of their employees.

I know that's how the world works these days, but I don't like it.

55 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

(Though the handshake deal for hiring back at lesser salary doesn't give the good feels.)

This is really what got me - not only are they not agreeing to hire them back but if they do they may be in different positions at lower rate of pay.

Or, they could just be screwed.

57 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This quarantine and hardship will not last forever, but the damage to relationships could. 

It could be when we get to the other side of this we need each other to get through the financial problems that will have arisen.

Indeed. It is times like this when you really find out what's what and who's who.

It has certainly changed my perspective on the Pegulas. And I have no problem raising taxes on them to help us all get through this together.

None at all.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

@radoran

Point taken regarding the billionaire vs the hundred thousand-aire.

I've not met too many rich people I felt I could trust.  I guess that's how they got to be rich ? 

It's a shame that doing the "right" thing by people is diametrically opposed to having a profitable balance sheet.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:36 AM, mojo1917 said:

He may have fired them so they can collect unemployment. 

If you are "fired" from a job , you are ineligible to collect unemployment compensation. If they were laid off, they are. There is a huge difference in the terminology. I hope they have all been laid off thus making them eligible for at least the unemployment. I still think they could take a page out of Mark Cuban's approach and continue to pay his people irregardless . (added specifically for radoran 🤨 his favorite misuse of a term) 🤪

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

If you are "fired" from a job , you are ineligible to collect unemployment compensation. If they were laid off, they are.

Actually, (at least in Canada) they have a concept as termination without cause vs termination with cause.  If you lose your job for something criminal (stealing money, assaulting a co-worker, etc.) that's termination with cause, and that's the only situation where you wouldn't qualify for EI.  Any other termination (downsized, position eliminated, layoff, etc.) you would collect EI. 

🙂 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Actually, (at least in Canada) they have a concept as termination without cause vs termination with cause.  If you lose your job for something criminal (stealing money, assaulting a co-worker, etc.) that's termination with cause, and that's the only situation where you wouldn't qualify for EI.  Any other termination (downsized, position eliminated, layoff, etc.) you would collect EI. 

🙂 

I have never had to collect unemployment in my life(knock on wood) and hope to maintain that record. That said, If a company in the US terminates you instead of laying off, you will not be eligible to draw.

25 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I have never had to collect unemployment in my life(knock on wood) and hope to maintain that record. That said, If a company in the US terminates you instead of laying off, you will not be eligible to draw.

That sucks.  😞 

2 hours ago, flyerrod said:

If you are "fired" from a job , you are ineligible to collect unemployment compensation. If they were laid off, they are. There is a huge difference in the terminology. I hope they have all been laid off thus making them eligible for at least the unemployment. I still think they could take a page out of Mark Cuban's approach and continue to pay his people irregardless . (added specifically for radoran 🤨 his favorite misuse of a term) 🤪

I hate that word too. I know you could care less.

I haven't been in a work situation yet where I've had to know such things.

If the job was  terminated I think those people have recourse. 

I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume good intent but I think with billionaires those axioms can't be applied

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

it really depends on the situation. There is a "with cause" and "without cause" aspect, at least in Pennsylvania. In my time in the non-profit performing arts industry there were several times I've been "let go" because of financial problems within the organization. I suppose you could term that "laid off" but it wasn't "laid off" like you were expecting to be going back after a period of time.

Different states have different rules and different applications of those rules as well. Such fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and assume good intent but I think with billionaires those axioms can't be applied

At even $15/hour for 40 hrs/week (which we know these jobs weren't) $1B could pay ~30K people for a year and still leave the Pegulas scraping by with "only" $4B or so.

I appreciate your perspective and would like to think that these people are being treated equitably and fairly. I just don't think they are.

IF "we're all going back to work next week" (spoiler alert: we're not) then this was doubly cruel and smacks of a way to put people in lower positions making less money. If this situation goes on long term, there's plenty of time for them to put them on the public assistance dole without burdening taxpayers with needing to do it rightnow in the midst of an economic crisis.

A BILLION DOLLARS is a LOT of money. In some cases an unfathomable amount. If the Pegulas wanted to they could have taken a ridiculously small hit, gotten some great publicity, and not even noticed the "loss."

They didn't want to take even a small hit in the face of the first major global pandemic in a century.

I believe the operative phrase is "#### those people."

• Like 1

@radoran

can't disagree with any of that.

ol' Josh douchebag Harris is pulling some ******** with the sixers staff too.

It's remarkable how many billionaires are keeping their heads down and mouths shut during this time.

Like you said, they could be enormously helpful to everyday joes and not feel it.

Just like this , with the amount of money Mike Bloomberg spent on his primary win in American Samoa he could have just given everyone in the country a million dollars and had 100m left over to buy 100 bugattis.

I won't mind a tax on that level of wealth either.  Also, the next time one of these guys steps up with 100k and everyone starts genuflecting I will not be joining that party.

• Like 1

I'll be "fair" here: https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/pegula-sports-provides-12-million-in-aid-to-western-new-york-covid-19/c-316286228

The Pegulas - "along with" the Sabres and Bills - are "giving" "at least" $1.2M to recovery funds in Western New York.

For those of you following along at home, an NHL Franchise, NFL franchise, and their $4.7B owners have buckled down and put up .000255% of their net worth to "help" (after creating some of the unemployed and underserved urban and rural families in WNY).

Big of them.

Let's all join in a big #thanks

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

Its going to make it easier and faster for the workers to collect unemployment...

so they shouldn't get behind in rent,or wait for the demasses in D C to pass a bill...

I M O ..

Edited by intheslot
added letters

6 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Its going to make it easier and faster for the workers to collect unemployment...

so they shouldn't get behind in rent,or wait for the demasses in D C to pass a bill...

I M O ..

The point is this guy is so filthy rich he could pay all his employees for a year and not even notice it...instead of passing the bill onto the taxpayer.

• Like 3

I'll put this a little more in perspective.

If your net worth is half a million dollars, the proportionate donation of an NHL franchise, NFL franchise, and their $4.7B owners is less than $128.

Truly - heroes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...