Marco Rossi

EmptyShelf

I think Wild were surprised that they had the option of picking from Perfetti and Rossi, with Rossi being the more likely C and a bit more ready to play now.  It would seem that the early picks fell as well as they reasonably could have for the Wild, with their goal of acquiring a goal scoring and creative 1C.  I didn't expect both D to go before the Wild, nor did I expect both Holtz and Quinn, which set things up for the Wild to have a choice of their picks, which also included Lundell.  At least Guerin didn't botch the pick like they did two years ago with the no-name D that no one had before Round 3.  Your thoughts?

The Minnesota Wild draft Marco Rossi 9th Overall in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

Here is my analysis of the Rossi selection, the player I had listed first in my forwards article.  I provide more analysis, plenty of scouts quotes, highlights and more.  Enjoy and discuss!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

My thoughts. He was the best player who was available for us in 2020.And actually the highest caliber player among the 1st round 19 picks who had the most points 120 and assists 81 as well as he had 39 goals in 56 games last season according to the eliteprospects.com . My future thoughts - he could be a solid center forward for the Fiala - Kaprizov line and also could build a good communications with Fiala because of Switzerland roots. Sounds intriguing player overall. 

Diminutive average skater? Sounds like Granlund. Wait, Granlund was a lousy skater. It's an upgrade from Granny, then, and in the end G. was very useful for us - we got points and then Fiala thanks to him. At first I didnt like this pick. Maybe it is a good pick after all. Rossi feeding Boldy. It might work.

Was pretty shocked to see Rossi available when Wild was up. Great kid, and like the fact that he has trained since March on his physical strength and skating explosiveness.

And according to several scouts, he and Lafernierre are the two most NHL-ready picks in the draft.

Kaprizov - Rossi - insertsomeonehere anyone?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The Minnesota Wild draft Marco Rossi 9th Overall in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft

Here is my analysis of the Rossi selection, the player I had listed first in my forwards article.  I provide more analysis, plenty of scouts quotes, highlights and more.  Enjoy and discuss!  

Based on your analysis, like lynx I immediately thought of Granny which is nice of course.

Abuses lesser clubs and is ordinary against doesn't sound promising. Plus Berube's quote “Arguably the best defensive forward in the draft” doesn't sound like a #1 center to me although many probably think that's a nice compliment.

But if he talentwise was the best available he was a good choice. You can always trade him.

34 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Fiala? Do you think that's a good top line, two rookies?

Sure.  Have them develop together with the best player on the team..  That way, we can also get some high draft picks for the next few years (particularly 2022 - which is supposed to be a loaded draft) and finish our re-build.  By that point, we will be almost out from under the Suter and Parise anchor contracts and able to pay our new core.  Going forward for the next two years, we should have no use for a #15+ draft choice and barely making the playoffs.  Even though CL will lose some money in the near-term, this is a business decision to save his product after 1-2 years of COVID revenue compression that is unavoidable.  Thereafter, he will be able to market and sell the team as an up and coming threat in the playoffs (and be beyond the gaffes that were the 9, 11, and 20 contracts).  Now, if we could just get rid (or force the retirement) of Parise, Suter, and Zucc......

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

In the future, yes. Next season? No, don't be silly. 😁

I don't have any particular expectations for the Wild next season because of the major shakeups with the roster this off-season. Heck, I doubt GMBG is even finished tweaking the roster.

Edited by Lonkkis

6 hours ago, Lonkkis said:

Was pretty shocked to see Rossi available when Wild was up. Great kid, and like the fact that he has trained since March on his physical strength and skating explosiveness.

And according to several scouts, he and Lafernierre are the two most NHL-ready picks in the draft.

Kaprizov - Rossi - insertsomeonehere anyone?

Completely agree. Marco Rossi and Lafernierre are the most NHL-ready picks in the draft 2020. When I placed my previous message regarding him he was the best among 1st round 19 picks and now after the 1st round is done he is the best among all 31 1st round picks. His +/- stats the last 2 seasons in OHL for Ottawa 67-s are impressive too ( +/- +51 in 2018-2019 season and + 69 in 2019-2020 season). In my opinion, he is extremely offensively minded player with a defensively responsible mentality too, kind of an universal elite center.  What is also impressing me about him, he is practically ,  almost none stop, every day training/improving his skills. Probably, the 1st Wild line Fiala - Rossi- Kaprizov will be one of the best NHL lines in the nearest future, where Fiala and Kaprizov could play both interchangeable ways(left and right wings). I do not think Boldy(1st round 2019 year) and Rossi(1st round 2020) are comparable. Rossi is way higher level for the current NHL professional preparation. I also heard he able to place 2 points mostly every game. Sounds very exciting moments coming for the Wild future after 20 years of the Wild celebration history.

5 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Based on your analysis, like lynx I immediately thought of Granny which is nice of course.

Abuses lesser clubs and is ordinary against doesn't sound promising. Plus Berube's quote “Arguably the best defensive forward in the draft” doesn't sound like a #1 center to me although many probably think that's a nice compliment.

But if he talentwise was the best available he was a good choice. You can always trade him.

(shrugs)  Even if he lit up teams like North Bay and Kingston, 132 points can't all just be from playing two teams.  I think the defensive forward comment would make me more skeptical if he didn't have the production.  IMO, then it would be a crutch to justify the milquetoast production.  But he was a big-time offensive producer and he played responsible defensively.  

Just to complete the our top 3 picks with Top Shelf information.  I also watched a 16 minute highlight of Rossi, and though he looks short, there were a great deal of comments about what a great skater he was (and fast).  Not sure why that is different than some other analysis I have seen, but good to hear, as is the fact that he is working hard to get faster.  The narrator compared him a great deal to Brad Marchand, which I found interesting, as they are about the same size at present.  Below, they compare him on the surface to Brayden Point.  I am sure that we would take either comparison.......  

After being drafted 18th overall in the 2018 CHL Import Draft, Marco Rossi put up 29 goals and 65 points in 59 games last season. Rossi was named to the OHL Second All-Rookie Team. He was even better in the OHL playoffs putting up six goals and 22 points in 17 games. This season, he’s taken his game to another level. Rossi scored 39 goals and 81 assists for 120 points in just 56 games. He was a dynamic offensive force for the Ottawa 67s, helping them to be one of the best teams in the OHL. When the OHL season was stopped due to Covid-19, he had a nine-point lead for the league scoring title.

The Austrian forward is the best hockey prospect that his country has produced since Thomas Vanek. Prior to coming to the OHL, he had played most of his junior hockey in the Swiss leagues, though he did still represent Austria at the international level.

Marco Rossi Scouting Report

Center — shoots Left
Born September 23th, 2001 — Feldkirch, Austria
Height 5’9″ — Weight 187 lbs [175 cm/85 kg]

Skating

Rossi is an excellent skater, with very good speed and acceleration. He combines that with outstanding agility and edgework. He can take defenders wide and then cut to the net. His ability to make quick cuts also makes him extremely dangerous in one-on-one situations. Rossi is just 5-foot-9, however, he is solidly built and plays a dynamic offensive game. His low centre of gravity makes him hard to knock off the puck and allows him to control it down low and create out of the cycle game. He is also surprisingly strong along the boards, winning far more battles than one would expect for a player of his size. This should only get better as he continues to mature and get even stronger.

Offensive Game

Rossi has excellent hands and combines this with his skating ability to create offence. He can make moves while carrying the puck at top speed. He creates space by combining his quick fakes and with his quick cuts and changes in speed. Defenders have to back off to defend his speed and Rossi can take advantage of the room created and larger passing and shooting lanes.  He has a quick wrist shot with an excellent release. When defenders back off, he can use them as a screen and fire a shot on net. He also has an excellent one-timer.

Rossi is talented as both a playmaker and a shooter. He has the passing skills to set up his linemates and make them better. His ability to extend plays through his work down low really lets him take advantage of these playmaking abilities. He works well in the cycle and gives his teammates additional time to get open for a tape-to-tape pass. His puck control and passing ability also allow him to run the power play off the wall. Rossi is not afraid to get involved in battles on the boards or to take the puck to the front of the net. Despite his lack of size, he plays the game in the dirty areas of the ice.

Defensive Game

Rossi is also good defensively. He is able to kill penalties and is particularly effective on faceoffs. The 67s use him in all situations and he is often matched up against the other team’s top line. He is not afraid to get his nose dirty and helps his defence down low, working hard in the corners and behind the net. While he is often overmatched in terms of size, he has a never quit mentality and does not back down. He also uses a quick stick to knock the puck away from opponents and create turnovers. His positioning is very good and he uses his smarts to cut down passing and shooting lanes.

Projection and Comparison

The biggest questions around Rossi are his size. However, there are more and more small players succeeding in the modern NHL, and Rossi has the dynamic offensive skills and the skating ability to overcome his lack of size. An extremely hard worker, Rossi does it all at both ends of the ice. He likely needs a year or two before he is ready for the NHL, but could become a first-line centre if he reaches his potential. Rossi’s game is comparable to Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(shrugs)  Even if he lit up teams like North Bay and Kingston, 132 points can't all just be from playing two teams.  I think the defensive forward comment would make me more skeptical if he didn't have the production.  IMO, then it would be a crutch to justify the milquetoast production.  But he was a big-time offensive producer and he played responsible defensively.  

In the grand scheme of things it's all good and I know you agree with me. Most of the old slugs are out and Guerin isn't persuading veteran FA's with money to come and play for the Wild. Rossi might even sneak in the top 2 lines and be given a a good look since quite frankly, the list of centers the Wild has now is probably the worst in say 15 years? #1 and #2 center spots are basically for anyone to fight for.

Yeah, the more I think of it I find myself thinking they might throw Rossi straight in the deep end if he's any good. Nothing new in it, the league is full of examples.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

In the grand scheme of things it's all good and I know you agree with me. Most of the old slugs are out and Guerin isn't persuading veteran FA's with money to come and play for the Wild. Rossi might even sneak in the top 2 lines and be given a a good look since quite frankly, the list of centers the Wild has now is probably the worst in say 15 years? #1 and #2 center spots are basically for anyone to fight for.

Yeah, the more I think of it I find myself thinking they might throw Rossi straight in the deep end if he's any good. Nothing new in it, the league is full of examples.

That's entirely true about the #1 & #2 center spots for sure.  Its an open audition at this point.  

I just listened to Russo's Straight from the source -podcast, where Scott Wheeler describes Rossi and his family. Sports reporter Wheeler lived with the family for some days before the Covid-19 time, in order to write a story about junior hockey lifestyle, so he has quite a view on Rossi's personality.

Here's the link:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/102-straight-from-the-source-with-michael-russo/

You can listen to it on Spotify, as well.

On a nutshell, Rossi sounds extremely conscientious and driven, maybe even to a point that one thinks if he will be able to cope with adversity. He has a great relationship with his father though, and the father sounds like a person who can probably make his son see the need to be able to crack a joke or two in a tough spot. Sounds promising.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, Hockey-78 said:

Yes, I think Fiala-Rossi-Kaprizov is going to be a very intriguing top future Wild line.

These 2020 playoffs finals showed which team could be a real Stanley Cup contender, if they will decide to reach such a difficult historic goal in their life. Team should be extremely mobile, fast in any lines plus to have a goaltender capable to allow in his net less than 2 goals per game in most cases. We already talked about this before, but current Tampa team is fitting into that rare category : tremendous speed coming from all lines; smart puck control; talent on dictating their dominating game; talent to place puck into the net coming from all their very offensively minded lines including defense lines too. And the defense coming from the entire team should be selfless also. Still remember how 4-5 Tampa players were blocking shots with their bodies at the same time/at the same seconds towards their net during the finals. Hope, at least our 1st future line Fiala-Rossi-Kaprizov will have that potential at the beginning. And then our other future lines we be build by these principles in the next 3-4 years. I believe, GM Bill Guerin will be able to do that difficult work on selecting the right players with the right time. Do not know, why, but, so far, I trust him more than to any other previous Wild GM-s. Maybe because he is a brave person for changing the team his specific way for just to see more positive results coming out of the team. Time will show.
Certainly, defensive as well as slow heavy style of the game with rare goals into the net is not effective anymore for a long run of these exhausting but famous playoffs. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, Alexandron said:

Just found out that Marco Rossi's father Michael Rossi played professional hockey as a defenseman in Austria for 19 seasons. It seems we have another hockey dynasty player in our team. Nice.

Yes it is! From what I have read the son - father duo is working very well, making Rossi a lot stronger when any adversities arise. Michael will keep on raising Marco through difficulties.

• Like 1

According to the hockeywilderness.com article, Rossi tests positive for COVID, but recovering well. I will add hopefully getting gradually some valuable immunity to this disease. Nice also, that he will start playing soon after the negative tests. This is the way how it should be in our life and in any our sports. The respiratory virus will not go away from the human population, but it will live with us like influenza  does routinely .  

Here is a link to read:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2020/11/20/21583315/minnesota-wild-prospect-marco-rossi-tests-positive-for-covid-19-feeling-better

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Marco Rossi will have a chance to play initially 6 games instead of 9 games at the beginning, because of the short 2020-2021 season(56 games) instead of 82 games for the usual regular season.

Finally, after the agreement NHL will start training camp on January 3 and the regular season on January 13. NHL was divided on 4 Divisions: North, West, Central,East. Wild team was placed at the West Division, where mainly all Californian teams, Arizona, Colorado and St.Louis teams. Still surprised why  they placed St.Louis team instead of Chicago team which is closer to Minnesota.  I think we are at the pretty good division. It seems the most toughest Division one is the East Division. 

I've seen Rossi play live a few times. The ONLY knock on him is he's 5'9". Just a great all around player with soft hands, a nice shot, excellent skating and a great work ethic. He's also great on draws. Wild fans will love this guy for years and years to come.

• Like 2