Flyers: 2020-21 Phantoms/Prospect info/update

OccamsRazor

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

The Wade says he isn't scared to drop em.

I expect this to carry over to 2021-22.

Flyers need some sand paper.

That's part of the reason I hope that they draft Mason McTavish from Peterborough.  He's a 6'2, 210 pound forward with sand paper and skill. I know this may be unpopular,  but a player similar to Tom Wilson would be superb.  

39 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

That's part of the reason I hope that they draft Mason McTavish from Peterborough.  He's a 6'2, 210 pound forward with sand paper and skill. I know this may be unpopular,  but a player similar to Tom Wilson would be superb.  

That is Craig's son right?

6 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

No. He's from Pembroke, Ontario. He's an Ottawa Valley boy like myself. He's what they call farmboy strong

Yeah I will have to do some research.

I have fallen off the prospect watch the last two years since covid hit.

You can never go wrong with best player available. But a quick look over tells me this is the year to trade the pick next year's draft should be deep.

I sure hope Chuckles stocks up on another draft but if nothing is there trade the pick and move back.

Flyers have a lot of needs still except maybe goaltending unless it's real late.

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

MacTavish isn't a goon. He's got skill and sandpaper. I'd be fine getting him where we're supposed to be picking if he was still available. He may not be.

McTavish reminds me of Adam Deadmarsh or Dustin Brown.  Lots of physicality to go with the skill. He and Wisdom could drive the opposition nuts with the type of game they play. 

• Like 2

I guess we figured something like this would happen....or at least i did. Thought it would be nice to find a outside view on things but i guess if there is continuity between the clubs this could be a good thing.

Terry Murray, who was the head coach of the Phantoms in their inaugural season in Lehigh Valley in 2014-15, is expected to join Laperriere behind the Phantoms bench as an assistant coach next season.

Feels like a formality and waiting to announce in my eyes. Who are the other candidates??

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

On 5/21/2021 at 9:52 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I guess we figured something like this would happen....or at least i did. Thought it would be nice to find a outside view on things but i guess if there is continuity between the clubs this could be a good thing.

Terry Murray, who was the head coach of the Phantoms in their inaugural season in Lehigh Valley in 2014-15, is expected to join Laperriere behind the Phantoms bench as an assistant coach next season.

Feels like a formality and waiting to announce in my eyes. Who are the other candidates??

It's garbage. Just when you think they have an opportunity to change the culture, it's just more of the same old garbage. I swear, the Flyers are becoming the NHL version of the Washington Football Team prior to Ron Rivera taking over. I've never seen such incompetence shown with regards to running things. Fletcher is a **** and needs to be fired. They can send Vigneault along with him. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

It's garbage. Just when you think they have an opportunity to change the culture, it's just more of the same old garbage. I swear, the Flyers are becoming the NHL version of the Washington Football Team prior to Ron Rivera taking over. I've never seen such incompetence shown with regards to running things. Fletcher is a **** and needs to be fired. They can send Vigneault along with him. 

Fletcher is a symptom rather than the cause, but I wouldn't cry never the less.

I  agree with you post.

Edited by ruxpin

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Fletcher is a symptom rather than the cause, but I wouldn't cry never the less.

I  agree with you post.

The claim from Fletcher is the players love him.

So not sure how to take that. Do they like him because he let's them get away with stuff as which we see is a huge problem on the Flyers?

Or what? I need more or why this is and why it's a good thing?

It's like I like my boss because he is cool who gives a shat at the end of the day you have a job to do and if not done properly I am held accountable and if I do it to many times we'll I will be looking for another job.

I know why my boss likes me is he knows I handle my business and he doesn't have to micro manage me. And task is perform correctly and in a timely fashion.

So I need more on why Lappy is like by the kids/players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The claim from Fletcher is the players love him.

So not sure how to take that. Do they like him because he let's them get away with stuff as which we see is a huge problem on the Flyers?

Or what? I need more or why this is and why it's a good thing?

It's like I like my boss because he is cool who gives a shat at the end of the day you have a job to do and if not done properly I am held accountable and if I do it to many times we'll I will be looking for another job.

I know why my boss likes me is he knows I handle my business and he doesn't have to micro manage me. And task is perform correctly and in a timely fashion.

So I need more on why Lappy is like by the kids/players.

I've read in a few places that when Lappy was working on the management/player development side, he was really focused on what each player was good at and what they weren't and how to fix it. Apparently he's got a good eye for what does and doesn't work for players. So, from a development standpoint, he seems to get it. 

As for the rest of the coaching ability, well, he was in charge of the PK under Haktard and we knew how awful that was. Now, I'm wondering if part of it was Haktard because I remember that Hextall also brought in Knoblauch from Erie to work with the young guys and Haktard basically tuned him out. So, who knows, but as a coach, if something fails, that's your responsibility.

As for Terry Murray, yeah, he'll teach these young defensemen how to play on the defensive side, no doubt about it. At the same time, Terry will coach whatever skill they have out of them. Look at the 'fine' job he did handling Robert Hagg. The guy was an absolute rock for Sweden during the WJC tournaments he was in, yet he gets to Adirondack and Murray sucked the life right out of him. I'm worried about the younger defensemen being handled by Murray, especially Zamula and York. I don't worry about Hogberg as much as he's probably going to be a shut down defender who can move the puck.

I should also mention that I've started doing a full review of the top picks in the draft this year and there are several things that stand out.

First, most of the top players this year that are first round rated, they are late birth years. I've never seen so many late year players. Powers, Beniers, Johnson, Coronato, Lucius, Eklund, Wallstedt, Raty, Cossa, Bourgault, Chayka are all expected to be first rounders and they're all late 2002 players. 

Second, a number of kids went overseas, played against men and faired incredibly well. I was hoping that Mason McTavish would be a Flyer, but I've been reading that scouts were so impressed with his play overseas that there's talk he can sneak into the top 5. Brandt Clarke might actually go in the top 3 after his performance overseas. That means someone like a Dylan Guenther could drop.

Third, Carson Lambos was an absolute joy to watch as a player. He might end up being the best defenseman from this group. Smart, poised, skilled and tough. He's got a frame and build that is very Ivan Provorov and his offensive game is so much like Alex Pietrangelo, yet Carson doesn't really carry the puck a whole lot. He's more apt to find someone and hit a stretch pass instead and then support the play. He's so smart defensively too. It's completely underrated how good his defensive game is and he's very physical on top of it. He's not afraid to lay the body and he can hit HARD. It's so rare though that he hits like that, but when he does, it's a statement hit. 

I know he hurt his knee after his second WHL game this year, but from what I read, it's nothing serious and that he'll be back to 100% shortly. I think anyone who drafts him will want him to have an easy summer, especially because he bounced around all over the world this past year. Let him catch his bearings and let him heal up from the knee. Let him take a breather and have him do things slowly.

There's some really good talent this year in such an odd and surreal year. That's the only way to describe it.

• Thanks 1

I need to own up to a mistake.  I listed Chaz Lucius as I've if the late year born players. I double and triple checked and it was a mistake on my end. Lucius just turned 18 and he's going to be going to the University of Minnesota this fall. He's also a goal scoring center and he can shoot. And not just shoot,  but we're talking picking spots with pinpoint accuracy. If McTavish is gone before 13, then Fletcher and Flahr better be racing up to the podium to announce this pick. However, something tells me that they're going to do something incredibly stupid and move this pick as part of a package for Seth Jones and Patrick Laine. 

On 5/25/2021 at 8:24 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I need to own up to a mistake.  I listed Chaz Lucius as I've if the late year born players. I double and triple checked and it was a mistake on my end. Lucius just turned 18 and he's going to be going to the University of Minnesota this fall. He's also a goal scoring center and he can shoot. And not just shoot,  but we're talking picking spots with pinpoint accuracy. If McTavish is gone before 13, then Fletcher and Flahr better be racing up to the podium to announce this pick. However, something tells me that they're going to do something incredibly stupid and move this pick as part of a package for Seth Jones and Patrick Laine. 

i think it depends on the situation, if the players they want are gone at their pick including mctavish, i would see them trading it, but if mctavish is there, i believe they will draft him, they want snipers just by looking at the wild right now and this guy is a machine like scored 40 goals in 2017 and 2018, almost scored 30 in 2019, this player is going to be fantastic for this team if he falls to us.

The offseason dark horse for the Flyers:

Isaac Ratcliffe.

Dealt with some injuries again this past year and from reports played well at the end of the season.

This kid needs a good training regimen this summer and if he can finally pack on some muscle to his 6-6 frame that is yet to push past 200 pounds (last reported only 197) maybe by late next year he could get a call up.

This kid was a very good sniper in juniors...in fact the only prospect i can remember to even have topped 50 goals in juniors they have drafted.

If he can come in and steal a spot even in the bottom 6 is could go a long way to adding some skill to the bottom 6.

But he has an uphill climb. I hope he is up for the task.

He will turn 23 next february and will be in the last year of his entry level contract.

I'm pulling for the kid.

:beer:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

The offseason dark horse for the Flyers:

Isaac Ratcliffe.

Yea I agree with this.  I've been watching him since he was drafted.  He's got a very good shot, good hands.  Vision is good and skating is good enough.  He needs to put on muscle for sure and make it through a solid 50 games or so without injury.   I do think he's middle 6 material if he can put it together.  This is the year for him to do it.

• Like 2

I wonder if the plan is to have these guys compete for the backup job behind Hart??

2015 - Sandstrom

2016 - Hart

2017 - Ustimenko

2018 - Ersson

The depth is about to get tested. Maybe it's Felix's job to lose.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder if the plan is to have these guys compete for the backup job behind Hart??

2015 - Sandstrom

2016 - Hart

2017 - Ustimenko

2018 - Ersson

Felix is awful anyways. I don't think the Flyers are missing anything there. Hopefully Ustimenko can come back from the go surgery he had and can get back on track.  If anything, I hope these guys can push Hart and that the Flyers don't have to go to the trash heap to find a backup. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Felix is awful anyways.

He looked pretty solid from the reports by Tony Androckitis the last couple weeks of the season this year so maybe there is hope he can help out soon.

Goalies seems to develop differently that other positions. He is 24 so it is time sh it or get off the pot for him.

2021-22 should be the year he is ready to maybe take the reins of the backup spot behind Carter Hart and give them the chance to save some cap space on a backup spot for around 900K.

And if he falters well they could maybe go find a backup on the streets maybe.

I think it is time to move on from Alex Lyon and wish him well.

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

2015 - Sandstrom

2016 - Hart

2017 - Ustimenko

2018 - Ersson

I think a veteran would be a better idea. At least until these guys get a few years under their belt. Hart needs someone he can lean on when he has to...not be the leanee.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think a veteran would be a better idea. At least until these guys get a few years under their belt. Hart needs someone he can lean on when he has to...not be the leanee.

I can see that. Besides someone could start for Reading not sure but competition brings out the best.

In fact in my opinion leaving Sandstrom over in the SHL for the first year of his entry level contract only held him back in adjusting to the smaller ice...and why he is behind sort of. 

Time will tell but they have a full stable now. May the best man win.

• Like 1