Flyers Off-Season Game Plan

On 7/3/2016 at 8:18 AM, briere48 said:

is jeff skinner on the block? hextall has to do something now because giroux and jake are not getting any younger, i mean what i dont get is, if hexy is not making win now moves, then what is the sense of keeping giroux and voraeck? because they are not young like toews and kane, hextall is wasting their talent by waiting three more  years and by the time the young dmen are good, giroux and voraeck are going to be close to 30 and have no clue of what they are going to be.

it's not how you rebuild, you rebuild your forwards by getting younger with your young dman. i understand everyone likes hextall's plan but do you not realise giroux and voreack are not young players?

tv movies frustrated gordon ramsay kitchen nightmares

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/3/2016 at 8:24 AM, flyercanuck said:

Do you make these moronic posts on purpose or what?

there is no other logical way to explain it FC...  I can't fathom someone with this amount of stupidity so I think it is nothing more than trolling.   

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think he will, since he elected arbitration the team can set the length either a one or two year deal. Or they could settle on a longer one.

I'm OK with 1 or 2 years. I'm sick of the 5 year NMCs. If a player doesn't improve, you're stuck with that term, which I don't want. I don't care how good he is. Schenn is an above average player, that's it...for right now.

I look at this off-season as a reaffirmation of the slow-go approach.  The cap problems heighten that. 

As for term of contract, I think San Jose sets the bar--nothing longer than five years. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/doug-wilson-and-the-san-jose-sharks-contracts/

This may warrant its own thread, but the gist is simple--even the players like this because it insulates against perpetuating mediocrity. Good players want to be around good players, not burnouts!

So, if Schenn gets five years, fine.  No longer.  And maybe he gets less.  If you get down to it, this team's configuration outside of defense is very murky to me a year or two out.  Other than G and V, who knows?  

The other question here is model of development.  If Rutherford's "throw four lines out there" approach is the new normal for the NHL, Hexy may have a "checking line plus" and start from scratch otherwise...

Howie

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/07/23/report-flyers-schenn-disagree-on-money-term-with-arbitration-looming/

It sounds like the Philadelphia Flyers have some work to do if they hope to avoid an arbitration hearing with Brayden Schenn.

The session would take place on Monday, so the clock is ticking.

While the differences in opinion aren’t outright enormous, the Flyers still need to clean up their cap situation, so every $1 million counts. That – plus the length of a deal – seem to be the issue for the 24-year-old forward and the Flyers, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman:

Brayden Schenn arb:
PHI: $4.25M year 1 and just under $4.37 year 2. Player ask: $5.5M for one year

Both sides playing hard ball....

both sides playing hard ball. Don't know why the Flyers want 2 years considering that would take him to UFA. I still expect a long-term deal to get done beforehand

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account‏@FriedgeHNIC

Brayden Schenn arb: PHI: $4.25M year 1 and just under $4.37 year 2. Player ask: $5.5M for one year

If that's the case, I can't see a long term deal not getting done before arbitration. 4-5 years at 5-5.25? seems pretty fair value considering the other deals this summer. 

17 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Elliotte FriedmanVerified account‏@FriedgeHNIC

Brayden Schenn arb: PHI: $4.25M year 1 and just under $4.37 year 2. Player ask: $5.5M for one year

If that's the case, I can't see a long term deal not getting done before arbitration. 4-5 years at 5-5.25? seems pretty fair value considering the other deals this summer. 

2 years will take Schenn to UFA status.  I think Schenn would accept 4-5 year $5-5.25M deal, I just don't see Hextall making that offer though.

3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You sneak into the playoffs as an 8 seed and you expect that I am going to respect you.  Think you are all big shots.  Its going to take a bit more convincing.  I like our roster far better moving forward.  Just need a couple years and a cup of piss and vinegar and look out

Wat8.jpg

Worse case now if they can't come to a good common ground contract now that Luke has signed in the desert maybe the Flyers could flip him to the Yotes for something centered around LW Brendan Perlini. It would help capwise with another forward on a ELC and waiver exempt capwise, i'm mean since we don't expect much this year as well and get a nice LW with some good size(6-2 212) in return. Yeah pipe dream.

But i think after arbitration they will get it worked out.

40 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think it's been proven that Brayden doesn't need Luke on his team. 

And Schenn for Perlini? Is he really 6'2" 212? Cause he plays 5'6" 130.

Well good morning. You did read the whole post right.

I did say a pipe dream.

You know every forward doesn't have to be a physical specimen ya know.

And as you like to give as excuses for others he is only 20 and has room to grow but Perlini can score.

And i read it again and i couldn't find anywhere in my post that said Brayden "needed" big brother.

But any how...:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well good morning. You did read the whole post right.

I did say a pipe dream.

You know every forward doesn't have to be a physical specimen ya know.

And as you like to give as excuses for others he is only 20 and has room to grow but Perlini can score.

Perlini doesn't need to grow at that size. He needs to play like he's that size. He doesn't have to be a bull in a china shop...just stop being a perimeter player who looks like he's scared of contact. I've seen enough of him over 4 seasons in the O. He put up 26 less points this year than he did 2 years ago. In 1 less game. That's not exactly the kind of development you're looking for.if you're thinking of dealing a young proven goal scorer.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

And i read it again and i couldn't find anywhere in my post that said Brayden "needed" big brother.

But any how...:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

I don't get the 'good morning" or beating your head part...Schenn played with his brother in Philly...then played better without him. You brought up trading him to be with his brother again. You're right...you didn't say "need". 

Greetings:

I'm tempted to say this situation is a result of our cap problem.  That said, it has bad "optics." This is a guy who has grown up with the team. He fits Hexy's "patience plan." I hope the process doesn't poison the water. Yes, this is business. But there are intangibles.  

So now looking forward the Flyers have 14 forwards and 7 Dmen till Manning is signed and it will give them 8.

So with Mason and Neuvy it looks like with waivers considered Laughton is going to hard to stand out real hard to force someone out because the guy forced out will more than likely have to face waivers.

And now Provorov will have to force either Manning or Brennan out because they both will require waivers to. Should make for an interesting camp preseason.

Here’s what Ron Hextall’s pitch to Jimmy Vesey might sound like

Here's what Ron Hextall's pitch to Jimmy Vesey might sound like

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/flyers-pitch-to-jimmy-vesey/

Ron Hextall: Welcome to Philadelphia, Jimmy. We’re excited to have you here. I’ll spare the small talk, and I’ll cut right to the chase.

We know several teams are pursuing you. As they should be. We’d like you to join our team because we believe you can become a key contributor for us.

That being said, I know one of the big things on your list is a spot on an NHL club. I’m not going to lie, it’s something I cannot guarantee you. We believe each and every one must be earned, but we also believe that if you play your game to your capabilities, you’ll have no issue making the team. We do have an open left wing spot, which plays to your advantage.

Your game matches what we’re building here. We want smart, skilled and players with speed who excel at both ends of the ice. Your size along with you skills would make a good fit on the team. You’re already a solid player, but you’re not a finished product yet. Our coaching staff can help maximize your potential.

Sean Couturier took a huge leap in his development under coach Hakstol and his staff. I see no reason why you cannot do the same. Along with the chance of playing on a line with Sean, there’s a chance of you playing on a line with Claude Giroux. Also, we have an open spot on our second power play unit, which we believe is a great opportunity for you. As you know, nothing in this game is set in stone. If one of our guys just isn’t playing up to our standards, another guy will get a shot.

Our team is on the rise. We made the first round of the playoffs last year and we’re excited about that, but our season ended way too soon for our liking. We want to get better in every facet of the game.

So, what are you feelings? Do you have any questions you’d like to ask?

Jimmy Vesey: What specifically makes me a good fit for the Flyers?

RH: Few young players come into this league with a good two-way game. Your ability to play 200 feet matches the style coach Hakstol likes to play. Along with your size, you have the ability to create chances on both ends of the ice. However, we’d like to sharpen up your defensive-zone play. Coach Hakstol believes you could become a solid two-way player in this league.

JV: You mentioned I would have to earn a spot on the roster. How would the coaches evaluate me during camp?

RH: Our coaches, as well as our front office, believe in looking at the big picture. We’re not going to bury you if you have one bad day. Stuff like that happens. What our coaches look for are strong fundamentals, how you look playing with professionals and how you handle yourself on and off the ice. The gap between the AHL and NHL is bigger than a lot of prospects expect. That’s both on and off the ice. We don’t want to put young players like yourself in an overwhelming situation. You’re only 23 . There’s a lot of hockey in you that we want to untap, but we don’t want to rush you and force you to take three steps back in your development.

JV: How would you address challenges I’d face in my career?

RH: Our coaching staff is demanding, but fair. They know when to push you and when to pull back. There were several players last season who hit a rut and had to play out of it. Our staff and players were 100 percent behind them during that time. The guys in the locker room know what each other is capable of, and they’ll hold you to a standard of play. Having said that, if you hit a rough patch, our guys will get behind you and tell you to stick your game and good things will happen. As far as our coaching staff goes, they’ll do everything within their power to help. Whether it’s extra work in practice, a film session or, as tough as it may be, a night off. The coaches always want the best out of you mentally and physically.

JV: If I made the Flyers, what would you expect out of my first year?

RH: We’d like to see you progress as an all-around player. We’d like to see you as a strong contributor to this team on the scoresheet. We see you as a top-9 guy who could play on any line as well as the power play.

JV: How do you see my career progressing with the Flyers?

RH: That all depends on you. Our coaches will work to maximize your potential but at the end of the day, it’s up to you to put in the work. Claude didn’t become Claude overnight. It’s his work ethic that keeps him among the elite in the NHL. We have no doubt in our minds about you building a solid career as a Flyer.

JV:Why should I choose the Flyers over everyone else?

RH: Our culture is second to none. The Flyers are known around the league as one of the most well-run organizations in hockey. From the top down we’re a well-oiled machine. We treat our players and their families as one of our own. Mr. Snider established that from the moment he founded the club, and we don’t intend to stray from it. When you’re a member of the Philadelphia Flyers, you are family for life.

As far as things go on the ice, our culture is to win. We want to be one of the best teams in hockey for years to come. We’re not quite there yet, but the pieces are coming together. We view you as another key component in our vision to win the Stanley Cup.

JV: How would you structure my contract?

RH: That would be something we’d talk in detail with your agent, but what I can tell you is that we’d offer a three-year, entry-level deal with a maximum salary plus incentives. Some of the incentives may be how many goals you score, how many points you total, how well you finish in the award voting. Again, it’s something your agent and I would hammer out.

JV: Well, that covers everything I wanted to find out. I really enjoyed this conversation between us. The Flyers seem like a good place for a player like myself, but I’ll reach out to you when I’ve made my decision.

And now we sit and wait until at least August 15th, when Vesey is eligible to make his decision as a free agent. He would be a nice addition to the Flyers up front but expectations should be tempered down to realistic levels. Vesey projects to be a strong top-six NHL forward, but you never want to count on a player right out of college to contribute at levels that may not be sustainable at this level right away.

Either way, Vesey would be yet another strong addition to a blooming prospect pool and one that could compete for a spot in the lineup right away.

So basically as of right now it's return the exact same group almost..........except replacing White with Weise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE CUP IS OURS!!!

MUAH AHH HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer:

Archived