Game 42: Flyers at Capitals; 4/13/21 @ 7, NBCSP

Howie58

10 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

they blowed this up when they should have blowed this up they would be a serious contender with a young exciting team to watch. Hextall was a turd of a GM and a horrible assayer of talent and what it takes to win in the playoffs. I hope he does the same to the Pens.

I've often felt the departure of Chris Pryor may have been as important as that of his boss.  Now they are a tandem in Pitt.  

Drafting aside, we haven't made the "fill-in" trades that connect the dots.  Niskanen may have been a recent exception.  At least CF acknowledged his error with Gus.  The draft is the key to success in a cap challenged world.  We are seeing up close and personal what a lock-in to high salary and long-term can mean on the downside.  I am glad CF adopted Doug Wilson's old philosophy of no contracts longer than five years with Laughton's re-up.  

24 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

If they blowed this up when they should have blowed this up they would be a serious contender with a young exciting team to watch. Hextall was a turd of a GM and a horrible assayer of talent and what it takes to win in the playoffs. I hope he does the same to the Pens.

Hextall wasn't great, but he was given a mandate to remain "competitive" by the guy who destroyed the organization* and did build up the pipeline of young talent that was a barren wasteland before his arrival.

There's one through line of stink to this whole situation and its name is "Paul Holmgren".

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, radoran said:

Hextall wasn't great, but he was given a mandate to remain "competitive" by the guy who destroyed the organization* and did build up the pipeline of young talent that was a barren wasteland before his arrival.

Did Hextall do a truly great job, though? I mean..he built up the prospect pool in the organization, but so far, there aren't many that I would call "sure things". The main problem is Holmgren, but I'm not sure if Hextall and/or the scouts did their "homework", correctly on some of these players. The coaching COULD be a problem throughout the organization, as well. I truly don't know how bad the "cancer" is.

39 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Did Hextall do a truly great job, though? I mean..he built up the prospect pool in the organization, but so far, there aren't many that I would call "sure things". The main problem is Holmgren, but I'm not sure if Hextall and/or the scouts did their "homework", correctly on some of these players. The coaching COULD be a problem throughout the organization, as well. I truly don't know how bad the "cancer" is.

I think Hexy did what he could. He got some nice returns on guys like TK and Farabee. Frost may turn out decent too, and there are a couple others who should have a shot at a mid to bottom six spot in the next bit. He never really had early enough picks to mess up too badly. Even Patrick -- the only top pick we've had in the last ten years -- is almost certainly going to be the most disappointing 2nd overall in over a decade. He can't really be faulted for making the pick though. Every other GM would have made the same.

Part of the problem is Giroux, but not so much for the reason people love to talk about. The hate is piled on high of late, but Giroux is one of the best point producers of the last decade. Those points have been good enough to keep the team on the bubble, and leaving us out of getting top picks to land franchise-level guys we can build around. At the same time, he really isn't one of those guys himself, so we've gotten the short end of the stick both ways.

Take him out of the equation, and we were probably a bottom dwelling team over the last ten years. That could have meant landing an actual big name player like a Connor McDavid or an Auston Matthews. How different would our team be right now if we had that kind of player around. How about a Leon Draisaitl? MacKinnon? Barkov? 

We've never even had a chance at landing any one of those gamechangers because we've had Giroux throwing up ppg totals his whole career. That sounds like an awful thing to complain about, but the fact is having just that guy isn't enough to build a contender... it IS enough to "make the playoffs and see what happens though", and that has been the modus operandi of the team over this time span.

• Good Post 1

10 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Did Hextall do a truly great job, though?

The first line of my post you quoted says "Hextall wasn't great." :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

There are some nice pieces - Provorov, Farabee, Frost, Konecny, Lindblom, hopefully Hart survives this season. Rubstov looks like a bust, but the four guys before and the guy after him haven't played more than 100 games and I don't think many people would recognize the names Max Jones, Connor Campion, Tage Thompson, Brett Howden, or Sam Steel who have played 100+ games and were taken after him in the first.

Case in point, one of those names isn't even real :thumbsu:

The only real impact player taken in the five years before that is Couturier. One might add Gotstobehere. Then there's Laughton, Hagg, and Nick Cousins. Three of those years didn't even have a 2nd and two of them didn't have a 1st.

Not great. Not as bad. :hocky:

how is Hextall the ex-flyer who can't seem to remain employed by the franchise. Hell, I think Dave Brown is scout. He took at least as many punches as Holmgren

Maybe Hextall is carrying a deep seeded grudge and his cupboard of prospects was a way to stick to the organization

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

how is Hextall the ex-flyer who can't seem to remain employed by the franchise. Hell, I think Dave Brown is scout. He took at least as many punches as Holmgren

Maybe Hextall is carrying a deep seeded grudge and his cupboard of prospects was a way to stick to the organization

Well if they were to fire AV and gang I want Rick Tocchet he is the tough nosed coach they need badly.

3 hours ago, radoran said:

The first line of my post you quoted says "Hextall wasn't great." :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

There are some nice pieces - Provorov, Farabee, Frost, Konecny, Lindblom, hopefully Hart survives this season. Rubstov looks like a bust, but the four guys before and the guy after him haven't played more than 100 games and I don't think many people would recognize the names Max Jones, Connor Campion, Tage Thompson, Brett Howden, or Sam Steel who have played 100+ games and were taken after him in the first.

Case in point, one of those names isn't even real :thumbsu:

The only real impact player taken in the five years before that is Couturier. One might add Gotstobehere. Then there's Laughton, Hagg, and Nick Cousins. Three of those years didn't even have a 2nd and two of them didn't have a 1st.

Not great. Not as bad. :hocky:

here's the issue though and the major questions about next year, will provy, frost, konecny, lindblom will they be the difference makers next year and course will farabee stay consistent and will hart regain his 2020 form? if not, we are in trouble and that's a big if fletch doesnt make any big moves.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

That's some awesome Q level -Manchurian Candidate level conspiratorial thinking there.

It would be so gangster if true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

here's the issue though and the major questions about next year, will provy, frost, konecny, lindblom will they be the difference makers next year and course will farabee stay consistent and will hart regain his 2020 form? if not, we are in trouble and that's a big if fletch doesnt make any big moves.

I will happily take on an exploration of a youth movement over what we're being sold now. I also said "nice pieces" and not necessarily foundational ones...

There are no guarantees at any level.

For example, I can't guarantee Giroux isn't going to follow up two ~.75 ppg seasons with a 1+ ppg season next year.

I just don't think it's going to happen.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1