AV on the final stretch of the season....could be fun!!!

fan4ever

As I said a few games back, this is audition time. That makes me happy.  This squad needs a lot of work between now and October.  Let's target wisely. 

All in, I would probably let Hart and Lyon finish up.  Let's see if Alex has any value come next year.  On D--if York come up.  Fine.  

I wonder if they would hold out some of the forwards to see how well the team performs without them.  I like Allison.  Are there other youngins on the farm who rate a shot.  One game more or less with Hayes or JVR or whomever wont' phase me at this point.

• Like 2

Not sure anything can put the "FUN" back in this Flyer season, but getting a look at some prospects will help assess their value. Best keep them away from Wilson and Marchand and the like, unless you are going to dress Andreoff and Morin. A good old line brawl would be "FUN".

• Like 1

I posted a few times that I hoped this would happen. This tells me the organization has identified this season is lost, and it time to refocus. I hope it also indicates that they do intend to make major changes in the off season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I posted a few times that I hoped this would happen. This tells me the organization has identified this season is lost, and it time to refocus. I hope it also indicates that they do intend to make major changes in the off season

I agree. They already needed to find a decent replacement for Niskanen, which they never did. They need to decide which of these kids stay, and which need more seasoning or who they can flat out part with because they aren't ready or can't play. They need scoring depth, and physicality from some veteran players who aren't just fourth line guys. So, there better be significant changes, and not just hyperbole, and window dressing. The expansion draft will help move these major changes along

• Like 2

Im going to go back to my other problem, "packing it in and playing the kids because this team is a bust" being the current....

With all the issues we currently see, it wasnt that long ago this team was very skilled offensively, so what happened? How did they go from where they were a season ago,  to this dismal,  pathethic, totally dysfunctional mess?

I dont think its age, or loss of skill. I dont think its bad coaching, and it isnt covid. So what is it? 

I still think there is a serious internal problem, otherwise there would be no need to dismantle the current roster

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

So what is it?

Sometimes at the end of the day despite how hard you do try you're just not good enough or smart enough or maybe more as a whole the team is not good enough.

Remember every team also made adjustments and additions too and we'll they can't duplicate what they were at one time.

So it is time to look at the team and how it's constructed and say it needs work.

Tear it down and rebuild it. Do they know how to? Not sure.

• Like 1

I agree with you. This team, as constructed, will never advance and a SC is out of the question. I don't know that I can get on board with the thought that everyone else just got better. This team was very hot last season. To drop as far as they have in a single season isn't just because Giroux and Voracek aren't as good as they once were, or because they were never good enough to begin with.

The team needs a rebuild. I hope that happens. But I still think its because key players either don't want to be here, don't want the coach to be here, or just don't care about team success over personal finances

If they continue the slide, they'll probably be drafting in the top 10; which could help if they draft wisely. I like the looks of Fabian Lysell, but I'll admit I didn't get to see too much outside of the World Jrs.

I like Giroux and he accepts his diminished role well, but Vorcek needs to go. One way or another. He seems to be the locker room cancer. I don't know this for a fact, but watching his pressers or his titter feed, the dude seems like a total bitch. 

JvR to this day pisses me off. Why did they pursue him again? The dude literally has the intensity of grapefruit. He also never seemed to have any desire to play in Philly (I recall his draft year and subsequent refusal to report to the AHL).

Hayes needs to get his undersized helmet knocked off his head and wake up. SO much talent, so much drifting. 

My must go list: Voracek, JvR, Yeo, Therrien.

My needs to wake up: Hayes, Sanheim, Myers, Hart

Needs: draft speed and skill up front. Assistant coaches with accountability. A sniper, I don't care if he is a minus -5 every game, score goals! Landeskog comes to mind if the Flyers can shed salary. Something to replace Niskanen- Savard comes to mind, but he has been a train wreck recently. 

Maybe that helps, but there is just something rotten to the core with this team. They tried the rebuild and patience with Hextall and this is what they have to show for it. They went all in with Holmgren and there were some great years, but ultimately wound up in cap hell and really screwed the team in the long run. 

Perhaps the team could look like:

Landeskog- Couturier-TK

Farabee-Hayes-Frost

Lindblom-Giroux-Laughton

Twarynski- Haula- NAK

Provorov-Savard

Sanheim- Myers

Morin-Gostibehere

Hart-Elliot

***I didn't consider any salary with this as I am playing fantasy GM****

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

To drop as far as they have in a single season isn't just because Giroux and Voracek aren't as good as they once were, or because they were never good enough to begin with

Maybe they need some TRT therapy.

Who knows get them checked.

Jake's SHBG levels looks to be through the roof.

:BrownBag:

On 4/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, flyer4ever said:

Not sure anything can put the "FUN" back in this Flyer season

You’re probably right but I dare say if AV were to scratch Voracek for a 2-3 game stretch it would put a smile on a lot of people’s faces, including yours truly!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Samifan said:

You’re probably right but I dare say if AV were to scratch Voracek for a 2-3 game stretch it would put a smile on a lot of people’s faces, including yours truly!

Or permantely scratch him. I sure hope them move him this offseason.

Even if they have to pick up 3 mill a year i would be down with it.

Darcy Kuemper for Jake and what trade in the offseason??

:ph34r:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

Nobody on this roster gets a star. The lack of professionalism this season is disgusting. Playing in the NHL is an enormous honour, not the entitlement many of these Flyers assume it to be. There is no one on this roster I wouldn't listen to an offer for. The past 10 seasons have been a blight on a once proud franchise and its time to shake the foundation. Playing hockey at a competitive level is hard, that's what makes the successes so rewarding. Winning down the road will erase the memory of removing the players on the current roster.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

I agree with you. This team, as constructed, will never advance and a SC is out of the question. I don't know that I can get on board with the thought that everyone else just got better. This team was very hot last season. To drop as far as they have in a single season isn't just because Giroux and Voracek aren't as good as they once were, or because they were never good enough to begin with.

The team needs a rebuild. I hope that happens. But I still think its because key players either don't want to be here, don't want the coach to be here, or just don't care about team success over personal finances

I get the feeling the team is too reliant on being motivated by success and too easily deflated by adversity.

There's not a core drive to win above all others. When they went on a roll last season, they rode that momentum. When they hit a rough patch this season, they dropped like a stone.

When they came up against a team who wanted it more - the Isles in Game 7 - they folded the tent and went home.

I don't know how to explain a team that was 4 points out and facing the team in front of them three times in a week going 1-1-1 against that team (1-4-1 overall). Then following "who said we're not good enough for the playoffs?"  with an 0-2-1 stretch to now sit eleven points out.

That, to me, is a reflection on the leadership group which has been part and parcel of this up and down roller coaster for going on 10 years. It's really why I find it hard to put the blame on "coaching" when a succession of coaches who have had success elsewhere before and after coaching here (Lavy, Berube, AV) haven't been able to make this work consistently.

This team is fat and happy and has been throughout this unprecedented lack of success on the ice. They even fired the GM who was being "mean" and not letting them have cake and pie(rogies). And for a while they simply played the "even year coach, odd year goalie" routine for "why it didn't work."

I've said before that I don't doubt Giroux wants to win. I just don't think he knows how to motivate others to do so and I don't get the feeling he's been the connection between the coach and the team that the captain of a successful franchise is.

There just doesn't appear to be "that guy" on the roster that isn't just "leading by example" but is actually a leading, motivating force at practice, in the locker room, and on the ice in games. The guy that just absolutely hates losing and doesn't tolerate lack of effort.

The loss to Buffalo was horrendous. The abject lack of effort against the Caps was simply unforgivable. And "playing hard" to go 0-1-1 sandwiched around another beatdown from the Capitals is just the icing on the **** sandwich.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, radoran said:

I get the feeling the team is too reliant on being motivated by success and too easily deflated by adversity.

Bravo. Very well said. Dead on.

So not just to you, how do do solve this???

I'm at my wits end and so desperate for an answer i'd even listen to advice from Rick...

...ok yeah thats pushing it...but i'm close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

how do do solve this???

I'm at my wits end

Well, I, for one, don't believe the current situation is "solveable".

This organization* is crying out for significant, structural change throughout.

And I don't think Dave Scott will stop patting himself on the back enough to realize that.

Despite the team's sluggish play since they returned from a coronavirus-caused layoff, Dave Scott believes the Flyers are a playoff team.

Despite the team's sluggish play since they returned from a coronavirus-caused layoff, Dave Scott believes the Flyers are a playoff team.

March 13, 2021 https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-dave-scott-trade-fletcher-ekholm-savard-20210313.html

• Uggh... 2

53 minutes ago, radoran said:

Scott believes the Flyers are a playoff team.

Certainly not this year. Next year maybe with the right moves but no way i see that this year.

But just for sh its and giggles ok....cool let's pass the Rangers then and go from there...

#babysteps

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Well, I, for one, don't believe the current situation is "solveable".

This organization* is crying out for significant, structural change throughout.

And I don't think Dave Scott will stop patting himself on the back enough to realize that.

March 13, 2021 https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/flyers-dave-scott-trade-fletcher-ekholm-savard-20210313.html

someone needs to smack that silly smirk off his face ......

• Like 2