Cam York, thoughts?

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Don't draft higher rated players because we'll screw them up?  I'm sure that's a winning strategy.

Half this organization's problem is that they think they are smarter than everyone else.

I completely get what you're saying, but the Flyers weren't the only ones here.   The fear about size was real -- if misplaced.   But don't sell York short.   I'm actually really excited about him.  I wasn't at the time, but watching him at Michigan and WC Juniors made me really excited about him.  The fact I saw the same thing when he came up (for 20 minutes, admittedly) makes me hopeful.   Time will tell, and the Flyers will get to work on their cuffing and castration routine, so who knows?

Bookmark this for later when I'm joining with others on the Chris Therien/Rathje/MacDonald treatment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Half this organization's problem is that they think they are smarter than everyone else.

This really sums it up perfectly. Most times you have to go with the obvious, in the Lindros era and the Briere era ,we needed to trade for a top goalie and we went with Beezer , Leighton and a slew of mediocre stiffs because Clarke and Homer knew better than anyone else. Chicago’s Cup winning goal was probably the weakest in NHL history. if we had even a solid goalie we beat Chicago , we lost several games due to cheap goals.

During the draft in the first round, the team that goes against the general consensus or goes totally off the board hardly ever has success, in fact it’s usually a colossal failure. Our GMs went against the consensus with Morin and O’Brien and so far it’s not looking too good. Sometimes you just have to go with the obvious. It better to swing for the fences in the later rounds. The Red Wings were the best at finding great players like that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

if we had even a solid goalie we beat Chicago , we lost several games due to cheap goals.

The only big problem they committed here was not having a few goalies who could actually play.

They went trough Emery, Boucher, Leighton, Duchesne and Backlund. And there was a Carter Hutton sighting too but he never played.

So the crime was not having anyone in the AHL or ECHL that slightly ready.

Backlund was like 28 WTF is he even around if he can't even help by playing at that age.

The problem back then and it may have changed today...or maybe not is that anyone can play goal.

It seems that is what you get from the Flyers front office and maybe that is due to most of them being X-Flyer forwards and them still we wanting to give credit to a goalie maybe.

It's all i can come up with...like anyone could have played as well as Bernie Parent did. They have a much better deeper net these days but they still have a collection of goalies that still may not be ready.

Maybe Hart and Sandstrom and the gang can change things... :PopcornSmiley2::haha2:

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The only big problem they committed here was not having a few goalies who could actually play.

They went trough Emery, Boucher, Leighton, Duchesne and Backlund. And there was a Carter Hutton sighting too but he never played.

So the crime was not having anyone in the AHL or ECHL that slightly ready.

Backlund was like 28 WTF is he even around if he can't even help by playing at that age.

The problem back then and it may have changed today...or maybe not is that anyone can play goal.

It seems that is what you get from the Flyers front office and maybe that is due to most of them being X-Flyer forwards and them still we wanting to give credit to a goalie maybe.

It's all i can come up with...like anyone could have played as well as Bernie Parent did. They have a much better deeper net these days but they still have a collection of goalies that still may not be ready.

Maybe Hart and Sandstrom and the gang can change things... :PopcornSmiley2::haha2:

Hextall was smart enough to realize we needed goaltending and defense and he did try and build the team that way. Hart definitely has great talent ,so as long as we don’t ruin him mentally….. the only thing Hextall totally ignored was the glaring lack of size and grit on the wings , it’s surprising because he was a tough hard nosed player. The Islanders have shown us you don’t need a team of stars, Barzal is the closest they have to that. You need BALANCE, speed,size,solid defense/ goaltending,a full team effort, everyone contributing and playing their role. You have to put the pieces together ,create chemistry with the lines and build a team properly. Lamerillo is the man.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Did you see that Caufield man-child goal last night?  Dude skated around McNabb like he was Mike Rathje on his third knee replacement.

Let me know when York does something like that.

I’ve seen many Flyers score goals like that…..and then I woke up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

a full team effort

This right here can be a huge boost to the current group alone. But this may be the key component

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much talent you have at the end of the day you have to want it more than the other team.

The critical part is you can't speak it into existence you must show it on the ice and the scoreboard. 

This is a results based business. At the end of the day wins is all that matters.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Hextall was smart enough to realize we needed goaltending and defense and he did try and build the team that way. Hart definitely has great talent ,so as long as we don’t ruin him mentally….. the only thing Hextall totally ignored was the glaring lack of size and grit on the wings , it’s surprising because he was a tough hard nosed player. The Islanders have shown us you don’t need a team of stars, Barzal is the closest they have to that. You need BALANCE, speed,size,solid defense/ goaltending,a full team effort, everyone contributing and playing their role. You have to put the pieces together ,create chemistry with the lines and build a team properly. Lamerillo is the man.

Considering his need to rebuild the entire prospect cupboard at every single position, he did draft Wade Allison whose got size (6'2" ), grit and skill,  Issac Ratcliffe (6'6"), Matthew Strome (6'4"). Considering he used 6 draft picks on goalies, 10 on defencemen and 12 on centres, that really isn't what I would call ignoring the size on wings. 

Fletcher hasn't drafted any wingers bigger than those... and he started out with a prospect cupboard full to the brim. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

yup that's exactly montreal is as well . they have a deep roster of big and experienced players and a goalie that can stop the puck. that's what the flyers need. they need depth on this roster, that's why they have to get rid of some big money players and focus on getting big sized experienced players for less money on the top 6, bottom 6 and your d core of course a star in the d core is fine. if he does that and depending on how well hart plays, they will be back in the playoffs.

did i forget to mention montreal went to cup finals with luke richardson as their coach? like you said it's a team effort simple as that.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

And Caulfield crush?  Whatever.

I didn't mean that in negative kind of way or dismissing it.  Just shorthand for "wishing he had been drafted because he's playing out of his mind--as predicted."

Too lazy to type all that earlier.  A lot more caffeine in me now.   Have a great weekend!

19 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

they have a deep roster of big and experienced players and a goalie that can stop the puck. that's what the flyers need. they need depth on this roster, that's why they have to get rid of some big money players and focus on getting big sized experienced players for less money

You keep saying this, but I don't think you've actually looked at the Flyers' and Canadiens' avg age.  Canadiens are 18th oldest and the Flyers are 19th oldest.

32 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Canadiens are 18th oldest and the Flyers are 19th oldest.

Sure but they basically have 3 kids in the lineup.

JK, CC and Suzuki. But I thought we had to blow it up and go young.

I'm confused on what is it today that we need to do?

I'll just have a drink and it will come to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Considering his need to rebuild the entire prospect cupboard at every single position, he did draft Wade Allison whose got size (6'2" ), grit and skill,  Issac Ratcliffe (6'6"), Matthew Strome (6'4"). Considering he used 6 draft picks on goalies, 10 on defencemen and 12 on centres, that really isn't what I would call ignoring the size on wings. 

Fletcher hasn't drafted any wingers bigger than those... and he started out with a prospect cupboard full to the brim. 

Yeah he drafted a few players with size, who were really long term projects but in the short term , he did nothing when the Flyers were being hammered all over the ice . Our on ice team had no grit . As far as Fletcher, he drafted Foerester and Wisdom who have some nice size. I guess it’s not even size , you want players who play a hard nosed game  can get in on the forecheck and can lay out some hard clean hits. Rinaldo wasn’t all that big but he hit like a Mack Truck,  the only problem was he was a little over zealous. NAK can hopefully provide us with some of that along with Allison. We certainly missed Pitlick.

9 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Yeah he drafted a few players with size, who were really long term projects but in the short term , he did nothing when the Flyers were being hammered all over the ice . Our on ice team had no grit . As far as Fletcher, he drafted Foerester and Wisdom who have some nice size. I guess it’s not even size , you want players who play a hard nosed game  can get in on the forecheck and can lay out some hard clean hits. Rinaldo wasn’t all that big but he hit like a Mack Truck,  the only problem was he was a little over zealous. NAK can hopefully provide us with some of that along with Allison. We certainly missed Pitlick.

Foerster was drafted out of our local junior team. I've seen him play a lot. I like the pick, but he's not going to make anyone forget Ogie Ogelthorpe. Wisdom on the other hand is a beast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

are we really comparing a 20 year old dman and 20 year old offensive forward and saying "let me know when this dman does this thing the forward does so good and i'll be listening"?

No, we're talking about how the Flyers braintrust (lol) passed on the consensus best scorer on the board at the time who, shockingly, started scoring goals immediately after entering the league.

Please don't start with "Dmen Take Longer" - idngaf - "Dmen Take Longer" would have been the perfect Flyers slogan for the last 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

No, we're talking about how the Flyers braintrust (lol) passed on the consensus best scorer on the board at the time who, shockingly, started scoring goals immediately after entering the league.

Please don't start with "Dmen Take Longer" - idngaf - "Dmen Take Longer" would have been the perfect Flyers slogan for the last 3-5 years.

you are acting like caufield is the only reason why montreal made the finals, if caufield was on this team, he wouldnt make any difference we would be in the same spot because of our goaltending and defense. we dont know how well he will play next year.  just get over it already like come on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

you are acting like caufield is the only reason why montreal made the finals, if caufield was on this team, he wouldnt make any difference we would be in the same spot because of our goaltending and defense. we dont know how well he will play next year.  just get over it already like come on.

Yeah he would be playing golf like the rest of them....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tucson83 said:

Who said he was the reason montreal made the finals?  You, not me.

I just said the guy scores goals exactly like he was predicted to score goals - with speed, in bunches.

Maybe York and Brink become major players, but so far (and it's early) it looks like the smarter move was to take the highly rated scorer when he was sitting right there for them.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing when Fletcher came on board, he had a nice stack of everything. Prospects, picks and talent.

He has been up and down.  I wonder if they weren't looking to bring Caufield in since we supposedly had a stacked line with Pitlick in there as well and saw the need to get a defensemen.

But BPA was maybe skewed to Best Player for us in the cupboard.

Imagine if that pick was done when Ghost was on the board. Seeing Ghost results his rookie year would of had everyone singing the praise of Fletcher for drafting such a wonderful defender that scored goals in bunches and dances around forwards.

One year is great, but lets look at this in year 3, so we can hindsight this pick as, "you should of picked this guy when he was available." because it won't be hindsight then, it would be/been the Best Player Available!....and you screwed up Fletcher and scouts. I also liked Suzuki and we didn't get him either.

• Like 1