Cam York, thoughts?

The twitters seem to think he's got some game.

Appleyard, Meltzer, Myrtetus, and O'Connor seem to be liking what they've seen in the super small sample.

I haven't seen this weekend's games but for the last 10 seconds of Friday's win.

I have seen some twitters lamenting Cole Caufield, since he's scoring like he has his whole life for the Habs.

Any one have any thoughts on the first rounder?

I have only really seen York in world juniors and 2 Michigan games, he's got a little Scott Neidermyer to his game. He always had the puck and seemed to always be where he was supposed to be...I don't think he Skates like Neidermyer, but he's got that kind of feel (smallish player, usually controlling the game) when I've seen him play.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Yeah?

what are you seeing?

Moves puck well, didn’t seem to be out of position once that I can recall in his first two games. Not afraid to join the rush and create offense. And he’s not named Myers, Sanhiem, Hagg, Braun or Ghost. 

Edited by Samifan
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

The twitters seem to think he's got some game.

Appleyard, Meltzer, Myrtetus, and O'Connor seem to be liking what they've seen in the super small sample.

TRADE HIM NOW HIS VALUE WON'T BE HIGHER!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Did I make you proud though?

:bigteeth:

Everyday bud, everyday

Who is the originator of that joke? It's not me. Rux maybe? It's still so funny.

Edited by Podein25
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Yeah?

what are you seeing?

Others covered this some.   But what you saw in juniors was unbelievably exactly what was seen in his two NHL games.

Always in position. Slows the play down in his end--no rush, controlled, thinking the play, making the right play every time including pushing the puck to safe areas when there's nothing else.

Good first out pass, fluid skating through the neutral zone and the offensive zone, again, slows the play down at the point on the power play, makes the smart bounce pass off the boards rather than through the middle.

I can't say enough about him.  I was honestly happy at the draft. I was not one who wanted Caufield (I may have been wrong about him), so was happy with York.  But I became really excited at world Cup and this weekend I honestly saw exactly what made me excited back then.

It's only two games, but in his two games it's the best I've seen a flyer defenseman in awhile.  

His skating is really pretty good, by the way.  It's noticeable on this team, in particular.  I don't think I'd compare anytime to Neids after two games, but it's really pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

he's got a little Scott Neidermyer to his game. He always had the puck and seemed to always be where he was supposed to be...I don't think he Skates like Neidermyer, but he's got that kind of feel (smallish player, usually controlling the game) when I've seen him play.

There's good reason for that...Scott Niedermayer was his youth hockey coach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I was not one who wanted Caufield (I may have been wrong about him), so was happy with York. 

Me either no one has ever been drafted that high who was his size for a reason.

But i agreed with everything you said in your comment about York and i missed the first period of both games due to getting home from work.

He may (and i'm just saying maybe) make Sanheim expendable....just saying.

Really too small a sample, but all the reviews are good. I didn't watch a minute of it, Caps were in cruise control, so hard to say what York is. I hope the room hasn't tainted him though, whatever he might bring. I am still trying to compartmentalize 20 pro athletes quitting on themselves and each other repeatedly over the past 2 months. Sorry, thats my take on the Flyers this season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Really too small a sample, but all the reviews are good. I didn't watch a minute of it, Caps were in cruise control, so hard to say what York is. I hope the room hasn't tainted him though, whatever he might bring. I am still trying to compartmentalize 20 pro athletes quitting on themselves and each other repeatedly over the past 2 months. Sorry, thats my take on the Flyers this season.

Same.

Part of me wants to see how Allison and York look, but sensible me knows there's better things to do with my life than let the rest of those underperforming overpaid pro athletes frustrate the hell out of me. I'll wait for next season for that. I made a decision a few weeks ago that the Flyers just weren't worth wasting time on. All I've seen is highlights since then and anyone can look good in those. 

• Good Post 1

10 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I am still trying to compartmentalize 20 pro athletes quitting on themselves and each other repeatedly over the past 2 months. Sorry, thats my take on the Flyers this season.

I think this is one of the best summations of what happened this season.

There was no confidence and little f all in the room.

Charlie O'Connor would say "welp" when the empty net goa against l would go in.  It seemed the whole team said welp sometime in mid-March.

So little fight in this bunch.

Don't remember seeing this in a long time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

All I've seen is highlights since then and anyone can look good in those. 

Plus the absence of one of the biggest key factors.

Pressure.

There was none they were eliminated and were just trying to get all this over so they can work on their golf game.

So it should all be taken into consideration he really wasn't under any say had he been called up and they were fighting and clawing still for a playoff spot so there would be less worry about him making a mistake and say costing them a playoff spot.

But with all that considered it was about as good as you would want a kid with his skillsets to come out and play like.

Now we want to see that when there is something on the line.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

This is honestly what has enraged me and pushed me off the deep end.

Yes and then to the Sabres (for example) play without their stars and all the players they purged and with also nothing else to play for come in and out play these bums.

Just makes me livid and not able to watch any longer.

43 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Too early to tell. The flyers have way too often had a rookie come in and look great, only to wind up avergae to disappointing when playing full time

I think there are several Flyers that looked great, then average who will rebound once the trash is taken out. Provorov and Konecny I'm pretty confident. Myers/Sanheim/Lindblom/Patrick/ may not become great but are better than they've shown this year. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think there are several Flyers that looked great, then average who will rebound once the trash is taken out. Provorov and Konecny I'm pretty confident. Myers/Sanheim/Lindblom/Patrick/ may not become great but are better than they've shown this year. 

And NAK...omitted on purpose? ("better than they've shown this year.") His play this year may be more of the general FUNK that was the Flyers 2020-21 season...hardly anyone rose above it. But at 25 he's got to sink or swim next year, wherever he ends up if he doesn't want to be a career AHL guy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And NAK...omitted on purpose? ("better than they've shown this year.") His play this year may be more of the general FUNK that was the Flyers 2020-21 season...hardly anyone rose above it. But at 25 he's got to sink or swim next year, wherever he ends up if he doesn't want to be a career AHL guy.

Yes very disappointed in him.

He is the reason they let Pitlick go.

And the Jake stank has tainted NAK and not sure if he can be saved.

I hope so because when he is on his game that is what they need more of.

And he slipped big time. 

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think it's very possible that Myers is sophomore season syndrome.

Lindblom and Patrick came from the type of injuries they had with predictable issues with stamina.   I mean, the length of time they were out and from what and they come back with no camp, no practice time, 3-4 games/week, etc., and then throw in a bout with COVID, ever-changing linemates, etc.    I know hockey players are supposed to be superhuman, but Jesus...

Provorov clearly will not likely be THE guy on defense.   He'll be very good (and has proven to be) if the weight of leading the crew is not on his shoulders.    That needs to be fixed by bringing that guy in and he'll be fine.

Sanheim and Konecny both took a step back.   I think Konecny, in particular, may be suffering from veegeencephalitis simplex 2683.    You remove the environmental causes and he will hopefully be fine unless too much damage has been done.

Sanheim could also be feeling the effects of lack of leadership on the back end combined with a partner suffering from sophomoritis.    And possibly a dose of Yeopecia. 

All of this sounds like excuses -- and some (Sanheim) is -- but I do think it was the perfect storm of ingredients compounded by the Vegeencephalitis permeating the room.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Agreed!

And stop with the penalties every time you're on the ice!   A lot of that was due to malaise/laziness rather than being overly-aggressive.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Vegeencephalitis

I don't see this doing well in the focus groups.

definitely not as strong as the VeeGees®

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1