Ok the season is over , who do we want in the draft?

We are picking around 11 or 12 , the Coyotes have forfeited their draft pick , so we just hope for a Chicago win and we pick 11th. There are a few sons of former NHL players that might be available when we pick, MCTavish and  Sillinger , there’s also a good offensive player named Eklund , not sure if he is Pelle Eklunds son, but he looks like him. There are lots of good defensemen, but I don’t think they will be available when we pick. If you look ,we do not have a lot of depth at center in our system ,Coots is 28, Patrick is useless and Hayes is 28 or 29 and on his way to being useless. So all we really have as a potential top line center prospect is Frost. So maybe we need to draft a big center. MCTavish is a pretty big center with offensive skill ,unless some other higher rated guy falls into our laps.

3 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We are picking around 11 or 12 , the Coyotes have forfeited their draft pick , so we just hope for a Chicago win and we pick 11th. There are a few sons of former NHL players that might be available when we pick, MCTavish and  Sillinger , there’s also a good offensive player named Eklund , not sure if he is Pelle Eklunds son, but he looks like him. There are lots of good defensemen, but I don’t think they will be available when we pick. If you look ,we do not have a lot of depth at center in our system ,Coots is 28, Patrick is useless and Hayes is 28 or 29 and on his way to being useless. So all we really have as a potential top line center prospect is Frost. So maybe we need to draft a big center. MCTavish is a pretty big center with offensive skill ,unless some other higher rated guy falls into our laps.

McTavish or Eklund would be fine..

But this would be the rare time I would consider trading the pick.

• Good Post 1

I concur we need a center, because we don't have a true number 1 center--I would call the current group 1A, 1B and so on at best.  Coots would be great as the second line guy if we had a number 1 with offensive skill and ability to control play.  

The Flyers have been a s*&t show for 10 years, on and off the ice. I really have no reason to believe this off season will be any different. Fletcher has shown us nothing as a GM looking to improve his team. I still believe the lack of talent and character and integrity calls for a total dismantling, when a team collectively quits frequently they deserve no reward but a bus ticket out of town. As far as the draft, the mediocrity and total lack of a plan has prevented a high draft pick, so more of the same is in store.

• Like 1

I don't think we have a lack of talent.   I do think we have a damaged psyche as a team, and I truly believe the that stems from the top (VeeGees).   Exchanging some of the vets for other vets just for a new start will help downstream quite a bit.

Aside from the VeeGees, it's time to give up on Patrick.   Just move on already.    I mean, he's finally had an okay year but even the Blackhawks had the good sense to cut bate from Ryan Hartman.  I realize there's a difference between #30 and #2, but it's still a first round pick and they moved quickly.   We've waited until we might get a box of outdated pudding.   But just do it.

Konecny can play. He's shown that.   Farabee.   Provorov.  Coots.   Some others.    We just have an incredible lack of leadership.   

We're lacking in top-level skill as compared to the top level in the division we played in this year.   I'll grant that.   There's a difference between our top (VeeGees) and Ovechkin, Backstrom; Bergeron, Marchand; Crosby, Malkin; etc. etc. etc.   So, if that's what's meant by "lack of talent" I'll grant that, but I stop at the top-level.   Down roster, there's talent.   

What was mentioned above is not just better talent at the top, but also better leadership.  That's not going to be fixed with a trade.   I suppose you could dismantle and take several swings at #1 - #3 in the draft for 5-10 years and hope to come away with McDavid or Matthews or someone.  Or constantly come away with Patrick or Eichel or JVR or someone.     

But then I need to find another team or another sport because I'm getting off this ship if that's the course we're taking.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

I'd rather package the pick with something to help with upgrading the roster.

If there is a year to trade a 1st round pick I think this year is the year.

• Like 2

This draft is a bigger crapshoot than any since all teams started actually scouting. Next season there's franchise forward Shane Wright. The year after are generational talents Connor Bedard and Matvei Michkov. Any of those 3 would make a great building block. This year it's a bunch of good but nothing great.

So ya, we'll probably move up in this draft and get a future KHL career player.

I'm hoping for Brandt Clarke, solely because I'm biased. I'd be happy with MacTavish on the reality front.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

This draft is a bigger crapshoot than any since all teams started actually scouting. Next season there's franchise forward Shane Wright. The year after are generational talents Connor Bedard and Matvei Michkov. Any of those 3 would make a great building block. This year it's a bunch of good but nothing great.

So ya, we'll probably move up in this draft and get a future KHL career player.

I'm hoping for Brandt Clarke, solely because I'm biased. I'd be happy with MacTavish on the reality front.

So package the pick for a more immediate roster update.

Why wait....next year counts to and goddammit I am tired of waiting.

Be aggressive.

And yeah I know Chuckles at the helm is scary.

But if he can't do the damn job then get him the fcuk out of here.

And I don't want no Erik Gustafsson part 2 either I mean a real upgrade.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

There are lots of good defensemen, but I don’t think they will be available when we pick.

My plan off the top of my head.

Travis Sanheim

2021 1st

2022 2nd

Nolan Patrick

for 

Seth Jones.

Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And yeah I know Chuckles at the helm is scary.

But if he can't do the damn job then get him the fcuk out of here.

And I don't want no Erik Gustafsson part 2 either I mean a real upgrade.

So who, from Minnesota, do we get? (Seth Jones has no connections to Minnesota so he's out)

• Annoyed 1

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

So who, from Minnesota, do we get? (Seth Jones has no connections to Minnesota so he's out)

There has to be some good Minnesota players out there we can acquire right let me do some research and get back with you.

Do they have to be Swedish or a Finn TOO?

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

There has to be some good Minnesota players out there we can acquire right let me do some research and get back with you.

Do they have to be Swedish or a Finn TOO?

I think greedy is good enough.

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Aside from the VeeGees, it's time to give up on Patrick.   Just move on already.    I mean, he's finally had an okay year but even the Blackhawks had the good sense to cut bate from Ryan Hartman.  I realize there's a difference between #30 and #2, but it's still a first round pick and they moved quickly.   We've waited until we might get a box of outdated pudding.   But just do it.

I understand this completely and if they did it, I wouldn't have a problem with it.   However, I think giving him one more year with a full off-season, training camp and so on could really help him.  I think this season was him proving to himself he could take hits and skate 50 games.   Now that's proven possible, I bet next season he will show more of what made him the 2nd overall pick.   He might never be a #1 or #2 center, but if they can get him to be a better than average #3 center, that would help this team a lot. 

• Like 3

I think greedy is good enough.

Well I took the easy way out so here goes.

Marcus Johansson is a former Wild player who will be available is 30 and a Swede and can play all three forward positions.

A UFA.

NAILED IT!!!!

:bonkingheadonwall:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I took the easy way out so here goes.

Marcus Johansson is a former Wild player who will be available is 30 and a Swede and can play all three forward positions.

A UFA.

NAILED IT!!!!

:bonkingheadonwall:

But does he want a 7 year contract for twice as much as he's worth?

1 minute ago, Digityman said:

I think this season was him proving to himself he could take hits and skate 50 games. 

Awesome now next year we'll actually you know get him engaged in the game.

#babysteps

I'm old I forget we have to coddle them in today's everyone gets a trophy culture.

I was raised old school you know...

...you want a trophy?

We get ******** better and well that don't fly in 2021.

But does he want a 7 year contract for twice as much as he's worth?

Oh and I almost got my favorite part...

...we can send the Wild a 2nd round pick for exclusive negotiation right till July 1st.

Who's ya daddy?

:bigteeth:

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Oh and I almost got my favorite part...

...we can send the Wild a 2nd round pick for exclusive negotiation right till July 1st.

Who's ya daddy?

:bigteeth:

I can't believe Fletcher hasn't done that in every deal he's made. He's really only done it with Braun so far.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm old I forget we have to coddle them in today's everyone gets a trophy culture.

I was raised old school you know...

...you want a trophy?

Just curious have you ever had a serious injury?

What about a condition that when you go to bed on Wednesday feeling fine and wake up on Thursday with a splitting headache made worse by the sight daylight; Then never really know when it will happen again or what really causes it ? 

Just a smidgen of empathy would not kill anyone.  This statement is not directed solely at you.

This isn't about coddling an entitled brat, it's about letting a person try to rebound from a serious medical condition, they did a solid with Morin, what's the harm in doing a solid to the #2 overall pick that everyone wants more from?

You don't have to be on #teamcompassion, what about just getting some kind of value from an asset that your organization has made an investment in ?

• Like 4
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

My plan off the top of my head.

Travis Sanheim

2021 1st

2022 2nd

Nolan Patrick

for 

Seth Jones.

Thoughts?

Way too much for Jones, IMO.

But I suppose something along those lines.   In my mind, Patrick is just a throw in there, and that's probably what we'll need to do with him.   But i don't think it would take Sanheim and TWO picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd rather package the pick with something to help with upgrading the roster.

If there is a year to trade a 1st round pick I think this year is the year.

I'm with you.   The other possibility (I prefer your way) is to trade this year's first to a top five picker but for NEXT year or the year after.    I don't think Detroit, for example, will be much better.   Same with Buffalo.   Probably San Jose.

The Kings and Ducks won't be there yet, but maybe.     Anything that gets a crack at an extra set of ping pong balls next year or the year after.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Just curious have you ever had a serious injury?

Yes ACL/MCL and menicus damage while playing basketball.

Had full range of motion two weeks after reconstructive surgery.

Fractured collarbone playing football.

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Just a smidgen of empathy would not kill anyone

Is that what they are calling it today I guess someone should have told my dad who pushed me. 

To many p$$is these days.

• Uggh... 2

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

I understand this completely and if they did it, I wouldn't have a problem with it.   However, I think giving him one more year with a full off-season, training camp and so on could really help him.  I think this season was him proving to himself he could take hits and skate 50 games.   Now that's proven possible, I bet next season he will show more of what made him the 2nd overall pick.   He might never be a #1 or #2 center, but if they can get him to be a better than average #3 center, piss poor #4 center  that would help this team a lot. 

Fixed it for you.

If we trade him this summer, you can guarantee what you describe will happen.   He'll have the proof he needs regarding durability and improve.   A season with some days of respite between games will also help.

On the other hand, if we keep him he'll continue to be a car crash victim on skates.    That's all the pessimist Flyer-fan in me, but I'm conditioned that way.