Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs (MTL Wins 4-3)

Choose Yer Poison  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Choose Yer Poison

• Habs Shock n Pound Leafs in 4
    • Habs Win in Surprising Fashion in 5
    • Habs Take Competitive Series in 6
    • Habs Contain the Leafs Enough to Win in 7
    • Leafs Laugh Their Way to the Next Round in 4
    • Leafs Dominate an Overmatched Habs Team in 5
    • Leafs Face Some Adversity, But Get it Done in 6
    • Leafs Show They are Ready To Go the Distance in 7

1843223314_hbsvsleafs.jpg.a78e41975b03604901b75cd39111ecce.jpg

First playoff meeting between these two iconic Canadian franchises in a very long time....in fact, without some research, couldn't tell you the last time they faced each other, if ever, in the post season.

Anyways, here they are now.
Leafs are likely heavy favorites, as they should be, however, let's not gloss over the fact that the Canadiens still have some very heavy, nasty, hard hitting players on their squad and could show the Leafs "this ain't the regular season anymore".

Habs, Leafs.
Playoff discussion here.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

First playoff meeting between these two iconic Canadian franchises in a very long time....in fact, without some research, couldn't tell you the last time they faced each other, if ever, in the post season.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's the first time they've met in the playoffs since the league had 6 teams, and that there's nobody alive today that saw it.   :)

The Leafs used to be in the Campbell/Western conference, and they haven't made a Stanley Cup final in over 50 years, so there's no way they could have ever met the Habs in the playoffs if Montreal is in the Wales/Eastern conference.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'll go out on a limb and say it's the first time they've met in the playoffs since the league had 6 teams, and that there's nobody alive today that saw it.   :)

The Leafs used to be in the Campbell/Western conference, and they haven't made a Stanley Cup final in over 50 years, so there's no way they could have ever met the Habs in the playoffs if Montreal is in the Wales/Eastern conference.  

I figured there had to be some crazy explanation for that.
You were JUST the man for the job! :bigteeth: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I figured there had to be some crazy explanation for that.
You were JUST the man for the job! :bigteeth: 

I stand corrected!  Did a search online and here's what I found:

78-79.png.51cca6645c45260b7efcccfdfe9aa308.png

Toronto and Montreal last faced each other in 1978-79, in a league that most fans wouldn't recognize today.  :)

Prince of Wales Conference[edit]

Adams Division
  GP W L T GF GA PTS
Boston Bruins 80 43 23 14 316 270 100
Buffalo Sabres 80 36 28 16 280 263 88
Toronto Maple Leafs 80 34 33 13 267 252 81
Minnesota North Stars 80 28 40 12 257 289 68

[1]

Norris Division
  GP W L T GF GA Pts
Montreal Canadiens 80 52 17 11 337 204 115
Pittsburgh Penguins 80 36 31 13 281 279 85
Los Angeles Kings 80 34 34 12 292 286 80
Washington Capitals 80 24 41 15 273 338 63
Detroit Red Wings 80 23 41 16 252 295 62

[1]

Note: W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, GF = Goals For, GA = Goals Against, Pts = Points
       Teams that qualified for the playoffs are highlighted in bold.

Clarence Campbell Conference[edit]

Patrick Division
  GP W L T GF GA PTS
New York Islanders 80 51 15 14 358 214 116
Philadelphia Flyers 80 40 25 15 281 248 95
New York Rangers 80 40 29 11 316 292 91
Atlanta Flames 80 41 31 8 327 280 90
Smythe Division
  GP W L T GF GA PTS
Chicago Black Hawks 80 29 36 15 244 277 73
Vancouver Canucks 80 25 42 13 217 291 63
St. Louis Blues 80 18 50 12 249 348 48
Colorado Rockies 80 15 53 12 210 331 42
  • Like 1

@WordsOfWisdom

It's ok.
I can forgive your lapse.

Leafs got swept that series, so perhaps that was your brain's coping mechanism. 😄

Hockey didn't 'start' for me until the year after the Habs won last..and I started becoming a serious fan after the Rangers then Devils won their Cups in the mid 90's.

Anything before that seems like stuff I read in books about. ;) 

• Like 1

Damn …. 

Tavres was knocked in la la land. Clean hit and as Tavres goes down the Habs player clips Tavares in the head with his knee.  Hope he will be ok

Meanwhile Habs score a shorty to go up 2-1 late in the 3rd.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Playoffs 2021 Opening Round: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs (MTL Leads 1-0)
59 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Damn …. 

Tavres was knocked in la la land. Clean hit and as Tavres goes down the Habs player clips Tavares in the head with his knee.  Hope he will be ok

Meanwhile Habs score a shorty to go up 2-1 late in the 3rd.

And then afterwards going after Perry for something he could not avoid....

...watch it full speed no way in hell he could avoid it but he fought any ways.

You could tell he felt bad about it. Nonsense fight.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

-Just a horrifying accident for Tavares. I hope he's alright.

-I never thought I would see the day where I would be defending Corey Perry, but why on Earth is he supposed to answer the bell for an accident that wasn't his fault?

-Great win for MTL.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lamest fight ever. Dead silence because there's no crowd.   Hockey is not the same without fans.

Hard to watch the collision on Tavares. He's done for the playoffs for sure.

This is why I said the Habs were not a walk-over opponent. They upgraded their team mid-season.

• Like 1

These are the kind of hits where a player could potentially die, particularly if the game continues to get faster and faster.

I've been saying this for years now, and I know this was an isolated incident, but I think the NHL should be taking steps to SLOW the players down rather than taking steps to SPEED THEM UP. 

The NHL has made several moves to increase the speed of the game, when it was already the fastest game on earth. Most notably:

• No 2-line pass
  • Lighter weight jerseys and sticks
  • Zero tolerance for hooking, holding, obstruction (maybe there's a middle-ground to be had there)
  • Refusal to stop "on-the-fly" line changes

Basically, there's nothing to prevent the players from moving at 100% speed all of the time, and they do it on every shift because the shifts are so short in today's game. Every shift is a 100m dash. The ramifications of that are that we're going to see more and more collisions like these (between teams, between teammates, into boards, etc.) and eventually someone will die on impact.

Perhaps the single greatest improvement the league could make is to force players to stay on a shift until a play stoppage occurs. That will guarantee that they get fatigued and it'll guarantee that they have to MANAGE their output, not go 100% all of the time. If the shift becomes 3 minutes long and you go at 100% then you'll be exhausted for the final 2 minutes. Players will need to learn how to conserve energy and play at 60% for most of the shift, ramping up only when a scoring opportunity presents itself (like a break away).  My two cents.  

• Good Post 1

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I was coming here specifically to say very similar, but you've got it well-covered.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I was coming here specifically to say very similar, but you've got it well-covered.

You're both spot on. Absurd. Bullshite. I'd never wish injury on a player but I was hoping Perry broke Foligno's face there. Enough with having to "answer" for something completely unintentional and unavoidable by the "hockey police".  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, B21 said:

You're both spot on. Absurd. Bullshite. I'd never wish injury on a player but I was hoping Perry broke Foligno's face there. Enough with having to "answer" for something completely unintentional and unavoidable by the "hockey police".  

I was watching NHL network this morning.   I guess it was trying to get both clubs (from Foligno's POV, the Leafs) back up and back into the game.   Perry obliged apparently out of respect to Tavares.  

I can't say I particularly get this.   I think in a crowded arena, it would be to regain focus for both team and for crowd to get them out of that "oh my god, what did I just see?" moment.    But from my vantage, it's silly.    But tradition and all that, I guess.

Bizarre tradition.

• Like 1

Perry protected his team mates by accepting the fight, and showed respect for Tavares by risking his own health after he had injured Tavares. Unintentionally, I think, but it is what is. If he hadn't accepted, the Leafs might have jumped some other player in frustration. I respect Perry a little bit more, because he accepted responsibility on a thing that really had little to do with him. Unlucky, what it is, and the speed of the game nowadays, as WOW said.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I was watching NHL network this morning.   I guess it was trying to get both clubs (from Foligno's POV, the Leafs) back up and back into the game.   Perry obliged apparently out of respect to Tavares.  

I can't say I particularly get this.   I think in a crowded arena, it would be to regain focus for both team and for crowd to get them out of that "oh my god, what did I just see?" moment.    But from my vantage, it's silly.    But tradition and all that, I guess.

Bizarre tradition.

Bizarre for sure.

If you need to witness a "fight" to get motivated or get your head out of your arse...during the playoffs (!!!)...then you probably shouldn't be playing professional hockey in the first place.

"Boy I just don't have it tonight. Oh wait - Foligno fought Perry for no reason other than some bizarre code? I'm ready to go now!"

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Perry protected his team mates by accepting the fight, and showed respect for Tavares by risking his own health after he had injured Tavares. Unintentionally, I think, but it is what is. If he hadn't accepted, the Leafs might have jumped some other player in frustration. I respect Perry a little bit more, because he accepted responsibility on a thing that really had little to do with him. Unlucky, what it is, and the speed of the game nowadays, as WOW said.

Or Toronto could have understood that it was CLEARLY not intentional and...maybe...let it go? God forbid. Does this BS HAVE to happen everytime a guy gets hurt? 

• Like 4

Agree with all points above. I might add that is the risk you take when playing a physical sport such as hockey

I might add that IMO, there is no need to force a player to extreme fatigue from playing a shift.  Matter of fact it is proven that the more fatigue a player gets the greater risk of an injury due to a myriad of reasons.

Trying to enforce or monitor shifts is impossible nor recommended as every player is unique and has a different fatigue factor. 

Though I appreciate the thinking of outside the box  thinking, this will never be implemented.

It was a unfortunate injury and hopefully Tavares will be ok.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

Or Toronto could have understood that it was CLEARLY not intentional and...maybe...let it go? God forbid. Does this BS HAVE to happen everytime a guy gets hurt? 

The code is not written, so for sure it can change in an instant. If the unlucky Hab injuring Tavares had been anybody else than Perry, I think the code might have been renewed by some other gesture of compassion or respect. But unfortunately it had to be Perry. With his history it's no wonder it ended like this. 

1 hour ago, lynxrattle said:

Foligno said after the game that he [Perry] did what had to be done afterward to "eliminate any gray area" and move on with the game. Not a Wilson-Panarin situation, but we all know what happened when the league decided to do nothing after that. All that being said, I will never give Perry any respect.