2021 Wild Draft

EmptyShelf

So, I thought I would start this thread.  I have looked a a few sites Mock Drafts and the Wild (I know, they have ZERO idea about what the Wild may be thinking).  However, they have us drafting a Defensemen and a Wing with our two First Round picks, one of which is ranked in the 40s in their own rankings (USHL player).  Do these idiotic publications even read their own analysis, or do they think BG and our Vancouver talent evaluator are that THICK?  Additionally, we NEED a center.  We hardly need more Wings or D-Men until we take a few swings at Center......Unless Rossi is a C, Beckman is a C, Khovanov returns and is suddenly inspired, or we are going large for one in free-agency; none of which I have significant confidence in until proven otherwise.  What are your thoughts with our two first rounders?  Do we package them to move up for a higher pick (which I think you can finally do in the NHL)?

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

10 hours ago, EmptyShelf said:

Do we package them to move up for a higher pick (which I think you can finally do in the NHL)?

You've always been able to...though I'd stick to my guns and use both picks. The Canadian junior leagues either played a shortened sched or didn't play at all. Development is going to be slightly out of wack...I'd personally prefer more kicks at the can. But I guess it would also matter as to which team would be willing to trade.

• 2 weeks later...

2021 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

Here is part 1 of my 4-part draft preview.  This time I look at the forwards available in this draft and I profile 6 forwards who I think have a fair chance of being available when the Wild make their first 1st round selection.  I will be publishing the rest of the articles over the course of the next week.  I have analysis, rankings, video and more!  Enjoy and discuss.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, Alexandron said:

From same source - hockeywilderness.com  regarding a promising prospect William Eklund:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/6/21/22542483/2021-nhl-draft-william-eklund-is-one-of-the-more-interesting-prospects

No way Eklund is available when the Wild go make their selection.  

2021 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defensemen

Here is part 2 of my 4-part series on the 2021 NHL Draft.  I take a look at what blueline prospects are available.  This is said to be a draft heavier in defenseman than in years past.  I provide stats, video and analysis.  Enjoy and discuss...I will be posting the next part in a few days.  

• Like 3

2021 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Goaltenders

Here is part 3 of my 4-part series on the 2021 NHL Draft.  This time I focus on the goaltenders that will be available.  There are probably going to be 2 goaltenders taken in the 1st round, but I profile them and 3 others so you know what's available out there.  Like my previous articles, I provide the stats, video and analysis for each one.  Enjoy and discuss...I will be posting the last one on Wednesday.  

• Like 2

2021 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Sleepers & Steals

The Parise / Suter buyout put this article on delay.  Being 100% up front, the article was completely finished I just didn't want to drop it in the middle of that giant piece of news and have it be totally ignored.  I figured by waiting two days and let some of that dust settle before I posted it.  Here are 6 players, (a center, a left wing, a right wing, and left / right defenseman and a goaltender) who I think might be great later round (i.e. players taken after the 2nd round) steals in this draft.  Just like my other articles I have stats, analysis and video of each of them.  Enjoy and discuss...

• Like 3

With the revelation about defenseman prospect Logan Mailloux on his activities while he was playing in Sweden, I swapped him out of my Defenseman focused draft preview article for another player.  It has analysis, stats, video and more...

2021 Minnesota Wild Draft Preview: Defenseman (Updated)

• Like 1

Wild take the Carson Lambos at #26. I’ll trust BG but I’m lukewarm on this pick. He was best player available on ESPN’s board but I’ve seen others rank him as low as 27th. That tells you it isn’t a bad pick at 26 but he’s coming off a medical procedure and a season where he didn’t play much. I would have been happier taking Pinelli, Chibrkov, Stankoven or Olausson but who the hell am I to argue with BG?? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20. Minnesota Wild (from Edmonton Oilers) -- Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea (SWE)
NHL Central Scouting: No. 1 (International goalies)

Wallstedt is the first Sweden-born goalie selected to be in the first round of the NHL Draft. The 18-year-old (6-3, 214), whose strongest assets are his calmness and technical command of the position, was 11-8 with three ties, a 2.23 goals-against average, .908 save percentage and two shutouts in 22 games in the Swedish Hockey League. He also had a .923 save percentage in two games for Sweden at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship.

NHL.com analysis: The Wild made a trade with the Edmonton Oilers to move up two spots and select Wallstedt, who impressed scouts with his ability to read the play, his quickness and his hybrid butterfly/athletic style. With Kaapo Kahkonen now a full-time NHL player, the Wild needed a top-end goalie prospect, and Wallstedt has the look of a future franchise player.

26. Minnesota Wild (from Pittsburgh Penguins) -- Carson Lambos, D, Winnipeg (WHL)
NHL Central Scouting: No. 11 (North American skaters)

Lambos (6-1, 197) is a two-way defenseman with patience in the defensive zone and in transition. He played two games in the Western Hockey League in 2020-21 before leaving Winnipeg to have a season-ending medical procedure. The 18-year-old scored 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in 13 games on loan with JYP in Finland's junior league. He led WHL rookie defensemen with 32 points (eight goals, 24 assists) in 57 games in 2019-20.

NHL.com analysis: The Wild have a need for defensemen and Lambos has the look of a future top-pair player. He impressed during his stint playing in Finland, including two games with JYP in Liiga, the country's top professional league. He's an outstanding skater with high hockey IQ and his patience with the puck makes him a dangerous player. Lambos also is expected to be fully healed from a medical procedure that limited him to two games with Winnipeg this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

I was not prepared for a G and D, and no C getting drafted by the Wile in the first two picks prior to the draft.  That being said, the value that BG secured with these picks (the #1A or 1B goalie, depending upon preference, expected to go Top 10), and a D that espn.com said is getting 'Alex Pietrangelo'  comps, and is 'big mobile and can skate with a great shot' - I cannot argue with that.  I wonder if they are thinking of a trade for a Center or a signing imminently?  I would assume the Eichel noise has abated, but wonder who else they might have in mind, as they will have to get lucky in Rd 2 or Rd 3 to land a real player here.  It also makes me wonder if they think Rossi will be ready, and if they believe they have depth at C with Beckman, Khovanov, Khusnutdinov?  Lastly, value can hardly be disputed with both picks if they develop as many expected.  Perhaps BG is looking at the skill upfront next year, the potential for us to take a nosedive this year, and the ability to obtain a very highly skilled C or W next year?  It is surely interesting.....and I am not against the thinking. 

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

What would it take to get a Dylan Strome type player where there is depth in front of him as a stop-gap?  That might be the type of trade BG could swallow, but I am not sure what he is prepared to give up for that kind of player (former high first, not yet panning out, and blocked by a player like Kirby Dach).

The selection of Lambos in Rd 1 this year, and O'Rourke and Hunt last year, and the trade for Addison, sure 'turns the page' on the gaffe on Filip Johansson just a few years ago in Rd 1.  It clearly appears that they have no REAL plans for him.  I still cannot fathom that pick - bad then, a full two rounds higher than anticipated - even worse now, with NO plans for him ever getting a contract.   SMH.  These picks are ALL important in Rd 1, which goes to show why they needed to clean house at Wild HQs.  GMBG is at least making intelligent decisions to clean up a Country Club and Mgmt/Scouting $hitshow that he inherited.

• Like 3

Lambos doesn't do much for me.  Seems like they looked for a Ryan Suter clone.  There were better defenseman available IMO, but we'll see what happens.  Certainly not a Johansson-type of pick, but the scouts seem to think he'll be a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman at the NHL level.  

A goalie as a first round pick? Even traded up to get him. That's intriguing, but I guess they know what they are doing.

I liked that Lambos clip. Didn't really see him shooting, but apparently he has a good shot. I liked his ability to keep the offense going. Looked a little bit small in the defensive zone. I agree on the Suter comparison, but on the mental side of things, I'd say Lambos is probably a very good person in the locker room. To go play hockey in the midst of a pandemic in Jyväskylä, and find out it's a small nothing town in the middle of nothing but lakes and trees, no one to talk to, and nothing to do but play hockey, at first in the juniors, and still keep producing a point per game. He even paid for his own flight tickets. There's a good head on his shoulders.

Rush_defence-1617383642-1024.png

Quite a nice looking picture about Lambos's rush defence! I took it from here:

https://fi.eprinkside.com/2021/04/07/yhdeksan-huomiota-u20-sm-sarjasta-keratysta-datasta-pidan-hanta-talla-hetkella-selkeasti-aliarvostettuna-pelaajana-julkisessa-keskustelussa

Edited by lynxrattle
Added pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think both 1st round drafts are not bad at all and kind of intriguing for me. I was hoping that BG will draft one out of 2 the best available goalie and he did it. I do not remember if we picked before during the 1st round #1 goalie. Carson Lambos is also presenting an interest for me after checking stats and for his brave character. Despite of his medical conditions he moved from Winnipeg to Finland and played last season there at the age of 18. The most intrigue for me is his rare ability to make fake movements during his play for confusing opposite players and also his offensive style of play. Minnesota has very good physicians and if he has some medical issue, then they will be able to resolve it.

• Like 1