Ristolainen to Flyers

@RonJeremy

@GrittyForever

I'd be curious to know what Ristolianen's perceived value around the league is.

I think it's higher than we might think. 

All of our players suck and everyone else's are better because of proximity bias.

He hasn't played himself out of the league at this stop that's for certain.

if the money is right, I'd keep him around. But I doubt he'd stay for the .aav # I think he deserves, I don't want to give him a raise.

I don't have any allegiance to him but I don't think he's a deserving whipping boy the way Andrew MacDonald was.

If he gets signed to an A-Mac deal here, Fletcher should be run out of town on a rail .

I Would also bet he's not "dumb as a post", If this is based upon his pressers?  I'd remind you he's from Finland and lives there. English is a 2nd or 3rd language and maybe not a priority. 

Can anyone see Fletcher admitting how dumb he was pulling the trigger on that trade and then sending him off for ONE 2nd round pick? He'd basically be saying what some of us have been saying all along...he's not a very good GM. I just don't see it. Especially after the "retool" presser.

No, I see yet another dumb contract to go along with the other dumb contracts he's accumulating. Just like he did on his last gig. 

Why anyone thought he'd do it any differently I have no idea. 

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

My preference would be dealing.  If not, per earlier post--a three-year deal at 4 million.  While on a much smaller scale/scope, CF got rid of Gustafson. He may understand the score here.  Risto is a mixed blessing.  I would view his re-up as a comment on the scope of rebuild needed.  In so many words, it's not that Risto is so good, it's that he fills a hole.  Retool, Rebuild, Re-whatever, this team needs wholesale adjustment.  That doesn't mean he is good, it's that he is one less box to check. 

In context,  I think the bigger defensive "problem" may be Ellis.  Maybe CF knows something we don't--is this dude on LTIR for next year and beyond?  Seriously, that would not surprise me.  Keeping Risto around may make more sense if that's the case.  

I agree with that because Ellis is a big question mark and if we dump Risto and Ellis is injured again next year, then we are even more thin on defense. Maybe Zamula can make the team, but we do need some vets back there.  If there are better defenseman that we can get and dump Risto, I’m fine with that.

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Can anyone see Fletcher admitting how dumb he was pulling the trigger on that trade and then sending him off for ONE 2nd round pick? He'd basically be saying what some of us have been saying all along...he's not a very good GM. I just don't see it. Especially after the "retool" presser.

No, I see yet another dumb contract to go along with the other dumb contracts he's accumulating. Just like he did on his last gig. 

Why anyone thought he'd do it any differently I have no idea. 

I heard that Risto told Fletcher he wants to test the open market. So if that’s the case, then Fletcher will be forced to trade him at the deadline. Imagine what a tool he would look like if he gave up all those assets and got absolutely nothing back.

Edited by RonJeremy
  • Uggh... 1

20 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@RonJeremy

@GrittyForever

I'd be curious to know what Ristolianen's perceived value around the league is.

I think it's higher than we might think. 

All of our players suck and everyone else's are better because of proximity bias.

He hasn't played himself out of the league at this stop that's for certain.

if the money is right, I'd keep him around. But I doubt he'd stay for the .aav # I think he deserves, I don't want to give him a raise.

I don't have any allegiance to him but I don't think he's a deserving whipping boy the way Andrew MacDonald was.

If he gets signed to an A-Mac deal here, Fletcher should be run out of town on a rail .

I Would also bet he's not "dumb as a post", If this is based upon his pressers?  I'd remind you he's from Finland and lives there. English is a 2nd or 3rd language and maybe not a priority. 

I think his value is pretty good for a Cup contender who is looking for a physical edge in the playoffs. Risto is playing on a horrible team that is psychologically defeated. Ghost was written off by the Flyers and right now he has 28 points and is only a -4 on the worst team in hockey. Those are Bobby Orr stats compared to the Flyers defense. If he were In Philly he would have 6 points and be a -40. So Risto maybe wasn’t worth all we gave up ,for playing this team, but on the right team he could be an asset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not fooled. Also, I am not hating on a player that has been useful on a dreadful team.

As a second pairing player he is fine.

He was not worth all the things used to acquire him, yet he is not the problem, he's barely a problem.

I like the player fine, I just expect more than 11 points for $5.4M and the raft of assets to acquire him.

If someone wants to offer a 1/2 for Ristolainen, I can see ol' Fletch taking that deal - depending on where those picks are.

I honestly don't see that happening, barring some significant injury.

If he's re-signed to an AndyMac deal, his a/the "problem" status may need to be revisited :hocky:

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

If he gets signed to an A-Mac deal here, Fletcher should be run out of town on a rail

Ah, great minds...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I heard that Risto told Fletcher he wants to test the open market. So if that’s the case, then Fletcher will be forced to trade him at the deadline.

After putting in his time on a woeful roster with inept management for his career, I don't blame him for not wanting to re-sign with a disappointing organization* with inept management long term...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

After putting in his time on a woeful roster with inept management for his career, I don't blame him for not wanting to re-sign with a disappointing organization* with inept management long term...

I agree....even if he's a big part of that "disappointment" on both organizations.

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

In context,  I think the bigger defensive "problem" may be Ellis.  Maybe CF knows something we don't--is this dude on LTIR for next year and beyond?  Seriously, that would not surprise me.  Keeping Risto around may make more sense if that's the case.  

In my eyes it doesn't matter Ellis or not.

Risto can't hold Ellis's jock.

If Risto could even remotely come close to the consistent puck ability Ellis will when healthy, hitting be damned then we would all be happy with him.

But that isn't the case Risto has his moments when he looks pretty impressive but they seem to far in between that you're left thinking meh...he in my time watching him and when I say this I am speaking only from what I have seen in black or white he doesn't process quickly enough to keep up most times. Sorry.

I have heard everything a lot of things people say would happen  and tried to judge myself but the things he has done has not endeared him to me.

So find a taker for Risto and move Yandle and I am happy.

Ivan Braun

York Sanheim

Cannauton Seeler

:BrownBag:

Montreal is looking to move Ben Chariot and I know they are a mess but I'd love to flip Risto for him and a draft pick.

Risto could be the right hand shot they need to replace Weber *wink* *wink*

Ben could slot on the bottom pair and give the Flyers some much needed grit on the back and a chance to watch him play before he comes a UFA.

Yeah he may want no part on the Flyers and he is 30 but if Risto is gone well that is a win in my mind.

Next season since Ben can play the right side he can play on the bottom pair.

Provorov - Ellis

Sanheim - Chariot

York - Zamula

Slow day at work...I know highly unlikely.

On 1/31/2022 at 2:43 PM, RonJeremy said:

I agree with that because Ellis is a big question mark and if we dump Risto and Ellis is injured again next year, then we are even more thin on defense. Maybe Zamula can make the team, but we do need some vets back there.  If there are better defenseman that we can get and dump Risto, I’m fine with that.

...or sign a free agent like Josh Manson. 

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Josh Manson. 

I would like this. I think he would be a good partner for Travis.

I wonder if you can sucker the Ducks into a Risto for Manson swap you know so both teams can get a good audition before signing to a contracts???

14 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

...or sign a free agent like Josh Manson. 

There are a bunch of teams that want Manson, so the Ducks are gonna get something real good for him.There is a risk involved for the Flyers, we could let Risto walk in hopes of signing Manson, but Manson at not want to sign. Let’s face it no one is eager to come to Philly any more.

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

There are a bunch of teams that want Manson, so the Ducks are gonna get something real good for him.There is a risk involved for the Flyers, we could let Risto walk in hopes of signing Manson, but Manson at not want to sign. Let’s face it no one is eager to come to Philly any more.

Don't worry they are about to win the next 40 games and get back into the race they were just rope a doping the NHL then Manson will want to come...

Two games down 38 more wins to go!!!

:BrownBag:

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Hayes wasn't eager to come to Philly...until Fletch gave him an offer only an idiot would refuse. 

Yeah wasn't there a story out at the time the Flyers acquired his rights and Hayes basically said that he was going to make them pay to have him stay in Philadelphia. Great guy to hold the team hostage. His ass should be the first out the door.

23 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I would like this. I think he would be a good partner for Travis.

I wonder if you can sucker the Ducks into a Risto for Manson swap you know so both teams can get a good audition before signing to a contracts???

Do the Ducks strike you as a dumb team that has made a lot of bad decisions in the last few years? I think not. Their rebuild is firing on all cylinders. 

On 2/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, GrittyForever said:

Do the Ducks strike you as a dumb team that has made a lot of bad decisions in the last few years? I think not. Their rebuild is firing on all cylinders. 

Very good question.

You're right we should trade Risto for this guy...

22 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Just never should have traded for Risto in the first place. 

No way GM's looks at this kind of stuff....right??

FK7pmptXwAsUbsx.thumb.jpg.44abdc9d0c8d0f978a01685ee3f30772.jpg

Should be able to get a 10th round pick for and maybe they find another Kimmo Timonen.

Fee fie foe fum

😭