2021-22 HF.net In-Season Discussion Thread (All Star / Conn Smythe)

pilldoc

2 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Thanks all, for letting me get Bergeron back, in Conn Smythe. Much appreciated.🙂

I really wanted to steal him, too, so I could make up the 80+ points I'm behind and beat Yave in the first round like my hero J0e!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

@J0e Th0rnton KNOWS what he did lol. I ran the table on the league with my best team ever looking like world beaters and he stumbled in as a bottom seed and crushed me in the first round, lol. I have won three in a row since then going away and that one still stings lol. That is okay tho, when it is keeping me up at night I fall asleep counting championships instead of sheep. But man, that is the one that got away.

The second part of that story is, you lost to Doc in the consolation bracket right after and it looked like you would be relegated to Conn Smythe due to not finishing top 6 lol.

And yeah, I have some ground to make up to catch those championships :)
But meh. I only count our matches together for the personal rivalry, which I find adds fun to the mix, even when I lose. You have knocked me out of All stars 4 times to 1, when Counting CBS, ESPN and Yahoo. I have won our only NAHANA meetup.

I bring that year up a lot because it is the ONLY time I ever won the all stars championship and I haven't faced you in the playoffs since I don't think. Hale kicked my butt last year in the Semi's, the year before that season cancelled ended it before playoffs and Doc whooped me the year before. The other time that I remember you beat me by a fraction of a goalie point back in the ESPN fantasy days because of a goalie I traded you, and that stung me horribly lol......

On 4/1/2017 at 7:16 AM, yave1964 said:

@J0e Th0rnton

35 save shutout for Quick! I think either one of us could have seen that one coming!

So much so that I lied to myself and said i would never trade with you again......and I have made like 287 trades with you in both leagues since LOL.

That same year was the first year after I rebuilt that awful team in NAHANA and I went to the finals with Rux there, where he kicked my butt.

2015-16 Rebuild, no playoffs

2016-17 First year after rebuild with the McDavid pick, going to the finals. And I was screaming like Sloth from the goonies "HEY U GUYS IM DOING IT IM DOOOOOOOING IT!" then Rux bashed me lol.

2017-18 Metadeke knocked me out 1st round

2018-19 jammer knocked me out 2nd round

2019-20 no playoffs COVID

2020-21 WEEEE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!(And I beat Yave in the Finals while setting the all time NAHANA record for winning 14 weeks in a row)

This year, not so confident. I like my team and think I can compete, in both leagues. But the top competition is fierce in both leagues. And it seems like in Both leagues, my defensemen are just going down like cement in water with injuries.

• Like 2

@J0e Th0rnton

Yeah I told @ruxpin that I consider you my rival in fantasy Hockey, you and I meet up all the time and it is always a battle Rux seems to always bracket against @jammer2 or especially @radoran.

Our two teams IMHO I always view in the same way that I used to view the Wings/Avalanche rivalry which was as good as rivalries can be. Even in Nahana I do not have the top end talent that you do but I have a very deep roster with every player there for a reason. If my crap goalies happen to give me a good week I think I can hold up with anyone at least for one week. All Star I have been sliding around for about four weeks, man the injuries are piling up, Jenner is criminally underrated especially in that league, losing Ekblad and Werenski have crippled my defense and now MacKinnon is out. I really need the first round bye and hope that bodies heal up. I have won it three years running so if I get the Presidents trophy but get knocked out it is still a solid year. In Smythe I swear it was like I clinched the trophy in about week four, I have arguably the best team I have ever put together and they clicked all year. I have a .692 winning pct. and a 90 something point lead over second place, worried about @pilldoc in that league as he seems to have built his team around the strategy of beating me. Truthfully I am hoping for @Hale or @TropicalFruitGirl26 to knock him out before I play him, lol.

Sorry about rambling. BTW you mention in here other leagues that you play in, LMK if there are ever any openings. The three from here are the only leagues that I am involved in and I wouldnt mind giving another league a try sometime and see different strategies and rules.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@J0e Th0rnton

Yeah I told @ruxpin that I consider you my rival in fantasy Hockey, you and I meet up all the time and it is always a battle Rux seems to always bracket against @jammer2 or especially @radoran.

Our two teams IMHO I always view in the same way that I used to view the Wings/Avalanche rivalry which was as good as rivalries can be. Even in Nahana I do not have the top end talent that you do but I have a very deep roster with every player there for a reason. If my crap goalies happen to give me a good week I think I can hold up with anyone at least for one week. All Star I have been sliding around for about four weeks, man the injuries are piling up, Jenner is criminally underrated especially in that league, losing Ekblad and Werenski have crippled my defense and now MacKinnon is out. I really need the first round bye and hope that bodies heal up. I have won it three years running so if I get the Presidents trophy but get knocked out it is still a solid year. In Smythe I swear it was like I clinched the trophy in about week four, I have arguably the best team I have ever put together and they clicked all year. I have a .692 winning pct. and a 90 something point lead over second place, worried about @pilldoc in that league as he seems to have built his team around the strategy of beating me. Truthfully I am hoping for @Hale or @TropicalFruitGirl26 to knock him out before I play him, lol.

Sorry about rambling. BTW you mention in here other leagues that you play in, LMK if there are ever any openings. The three from here are the only leagues that I am involved in and I wouldnt mind giving another league a try sometime and see different strategies and rules.

If anything opens up in my other keep 5 I'll let you know

• Like 1

@Mad Dog is another one who is always quietly doing a masterful job of managing his team but man he seems to get snakebit come postseason.  If I had a sleeper pick to win it all in Nahana it would be him. @hf101 has always had top end talent but this years team is especially deep. It should be a great playoff run.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@Mad Dog is another one who is always quietly doing a masterful job of managing his team but man he seems to get snakebit come postseason.  If I had a sleeper pick to win it all in Nahana it would be him. @hf101 has always had top end talent but this years team is especially deep. It should be a great playoff run.

Yeah, and I distinctly remember praying nobody would trade mad dog a goalie. Then someone did lol.

His offense terrifies me.

Kinda like dumba's in this league. Hoped he would not get a goalie either.

Hf101 always drafts better than all of us and doesn't need to make many moves or pull trades to be competitive.

I'm actually jealous of how astutely he drafts because I suck at drafting. 

• Like 1

If I had to predict a winner in NAHANA, I'm actually picking @hf101.

Hysterical because about 4-5 weeks ago I thought there was a good chance of Silky Mitts falling out of the playoffs, but they seem to have come together and are just skyrocketing.

7 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hysterical because about 4-5 weeks ago I thought there was a good chance of Silky Mitts falling out of the playoffs, but they seem to have come together and are just skyrocketing.

If sorokin comes off IR and kahkonen does well with the sharks(lol).

That trade and injury may well mess up his first round unless sorokin comes back quick and kahk has a hot streak.

Granted andersen is a strong goalie. But nice daws isn't yet.

I am kicking myself for dropping strome and Thompson though. Hf scooped them both

The funny thing is, we would be splitting starts in the 1st and 2nd round because I have Reimer and raanta. And I don't like it but I have to hold both due to goalie injury volatility. Can't drop francouz either because Colorado has back to back games in every round and he is money when he plays.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I have a .692 winning pct. and a 90 something point lead over second place, worried about @pilldoc in that league as he seems to have built his team around the strategy of beating me. Truthfully I am hoping for @Hale or @TropicalFruitGirl26 to knock him out before I play him, lol.

I have learned to take nothing for granted…. And yes … I specifically built my team to hopefully beat you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

That team could pull an upset in the 1st round. I like my chances better vs. Pipers or Dave( for this year only). Regardless as I mentioned before many times before…..in this league ALL GM’s are top notch and are capable if beating anyone on any given week…

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Congratz @yave1964on yet another presidents trophy. And congratz to @bbgarnettfor surging into 2nd and taking that bi spot. Damnit. Lol

Good luck @ruxpinfor our 1st round match

I stumbled and bumbled down the stretch for a month but managed to barely hold on. Hoping the bye gives me an extra week to get some players back.

In Smythe, I won the Presidents trophy by what has to be a record, 101 points. If it isnt a record it will do until one comes along.Like All Star I am banged up and hoping the week of rest will get me ready for the second round.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Congratz @yave1964on yet another presidents trophy. And congratz to @bbgarnettfor surging into 2nd and taking that bi spot. Damnit. Lol

Good luck @ruxpinfor our 1st round match

Thanks and yeah been tough all year with many good opponents.   I was oh so close to the PT too only 1 pt behind Yave but am happy to get the bye nonetheless. Good luck to all in the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Please buy me a drink first.

And I'd prefer if you wear a condom.

Thanks.

I don't do rubbers. And tears are all the lube we will need.

Remains to be seen who will be the bottom though

1 minute ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I don't do rubbers. And tears are all the lube we will need.

Remains to be seen who will be the bottom though

The thing i have going for me is my team has stunk for the last two weeks.  I'm bound to have a good week purely by accident.  It remains to be seen whether it will be enough.

Well played and congratz @ruxpin

i officially concede to the better team :)

you were not even in a playoff spot for so long your rise and subsequent thrashing after some very canny trades you gave me is standout. you have a legit strong chance, solid all over

I'm rooting for you now

Just now, J0e Th0rnton said:

Well played and congratz @ruxpin

i officially concede to the better team :)

you were not even in a playoff spot for so long your rise and subsequent thrashing after some very canny trades you gave me is standout. you have a legit strong chance, solid all over

I'm rooting for you now

Thank you.

I honestly didn't think I stood a chance. Which is odd, because my NAHANA prognostications have been so spot on.  Lol

I actually thought I might have a slim chance because I'd done so poorly the last could weeks. 2.7% of me thought maybe the team was due.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Thank you.

I honestly didn't think I stood a chance. Which is odd, because my NAHANA prognostications have been so spot on.  Lol

I actually thought I might have a slim chance because I'd done so poorly the last could weeks. 2.7% of me thought maybe the team was due.

Elite goaltending

Elite goalies can have bad games and weeks. But their chances of being on are better regularly.

You also thrashed me in 75% of peripherals. The scoring cats were always close, but peripherals were clearly yours. And those hold up even during cold scoring weeks. Your team is built to win. Some damn tough competition but you are right up there with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Barring something beyond my control I am going to the finals in both Smythe and All Star.

In Smythe I am playing the tax man and I am up 13-5 with my goalies pulled for the last few days and very few cats still under debate. I won last year and am trying to defend my title.

In All Star I am up on @ruxpin 12-5 again with goalies pulled and very little still being contested either way. I have won the league three years running and am looking at possibly four in a row. I am very proud of this team, I have lost Ekblad, Tanev, Jenner and Landeskog for the year, still eeked out the Presidents trophy and have a shot at doing something nobody has ever done in any of these leagues. 

My opponent in both finals if he manages to hold on in two contested battles will be @Hale who for those of you who do not know is one of the best fnatasy players in any league I am in. I do not know how many times this year I have went to make a move only to find he had ninja'd in and grabbed someone I wanted hours before. He has very solid squads in both leagues and if things play out the way they are he would be a very dangerous opponent. With apologies to Hale, I am rooting for @TropicalFruitGirl26 in Smythe because she has to my knowledge never made it to a finals and it would be nice to see her hard work this year pay off. Either way, both have solid clubs and I take nothing for granted going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

Barring something beyond my control I am going to the finals in both Smythe and All Star.

In Smythe I am playing the tax man and I am up 13-5 with my goalies pulled for the last few days and very few cats still under debate. I won last year and am trying to defend my title.

In All Star I am up on @ruxpin 12-5 again with goalies pulled and very little still being contested either way. I have won the league three years running and am looking at possibly four in a row. I am very proud of this team, I have lost Ekblad, Tanev, Jenner and Landeskog for the year, still eeked out the Presidents trophy and have a shot at doing something nobody has ever done in any of these leagues. 

My opponent in both finals if he manages to hold on in two contested battles will be @Hale who for those of you who do not know is one of the best fnatasy players in any league I am in. I do not know how many times this year I have went to make a move only to find he had ninja'd in and grabbed someone I wanted hours before. He has very solid squads in both leagues and if things play out the way they are he would be a very dangerous opponent. With apologies to Hale, I am rooting for @TropicalFruitGirl26 in Smythe because she has to my knowledge never made it to a finals and it would be nice to see her hard work this year pay off. Either way, both have solid clubs and I take nothing for granted going forward. 

I keep wondering if we will get a nahana rematch this year. I'm not even sure I will beat Metadeke but I'm hoping I can keep this lead.

Your match with AKOF is also a close affair

• Like 1

@Hale looking forward to a tough battle in All star as I play for an unprecedented fourth consecutive league title. Your team is stacked, well ran and dangerous. Good luck this week (actually it is a two week final, something I am not a fan of). I thought I had @ruxpin many times only to see him storm back, at one point yesterday we were actually tied 8-8 so the final of 11-5 does not do it justice or tell the true story. Good game Rux, man that one was tough.

In Smythe, CONGRATS TO @TropicalFruitGirl26!!!!!! We are meeting in the finals after Shester gets her a shutout and she pulls out a nail biter. Again good luck this two week cycle, it should be a great battle, we share a lot of the same strengths, I am looking to defend my title in this one as well. 

Congrats to all for great seasons!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

@Hale looking forward to a tough battle in All star as I play for an unprecedented fourth consecutive league title. Your team is stacked, well ran and dangerous. Good luck this week (actually it is a two week final, something I am not a fan of). I thought I had @ruxpin many times only to see him storm back, at one point yesterday we were actually tied 8-8 so the final of 11-5 does not do it justice or tell the true story. Good game Rux, man that one was tough.

In Smythe, CONGRATS TO @TropicalFruitGirl26!!!!!! We are meeting in the finals after Shester gets her a shutout and she pulls out a nail biter. Again good luck this two week cycle, it should be a great battle, we share a lot of the same strengths, I am looking to defend my title in this one as well. 

Congrats to all for great seasons!

And so.....
We meet at last.... :shifty:

• Thanks 1