Bourdon, Marshall NHL ready ?

Guest mojo1917

Hi, I asked this in another thread and was pretty sure the question was going to go unanswered... so who saw these guys last night and what were your impressions ? do they have a future in the NHL or are they maybe # 7s on a good defense ? either of these two make any kind of impression... and what would be the big whoop with playing them now ?

thx

Bourdon I did not hear his name called too much and to me that is a good thing for a defender. Marshall seems to play with an edge, but is flat out slow to get back in position.

Maybe it was fear of getting caught too deep or lack of an understanding of Lavy's system, but at the end of the day I would say Bourdon is more ready than Marshall and that is not saying much.

I would rather see both of them in the AHL, but in a pinch, I would say Bourdon is ready for the 7th spot.

Hi, I asked this in another thread and was pretty sure the question was going to go unanswered... so who saw these guys last night and what were your impressions ? do they have a future in the NHL or are they maybe # 7s on a good defense ? either of these two make any kind of impression... and what would be the big whoop with playing them now ?

thx

I don't think being called up with one day's notice and put on a line with Lilja is going to give anyone a chance at fair assessment. A lot of mistakes all over the ice by all of the defense last night . If you were to pull one or the other up and give them some time partnering with Pronger or Kimmo, you will see different/better results. I don't want to judge them on last nights debacle of a game.

I don't think being called up with one day's notice and put on a line with Lilja is going to give anyone a chance at fair assessment. A lot of mistakes all over the ice by all of the defense last night . If you were to pull one or the other up and give them some time partnering with Pronger or Kimmo, you will see different/better results. I don't want to judge them on last nights debacle of a game.

I agree, the team looked bad overall. One game isn't enough to make a complete assessment of what we are dealing with but I'll assess one game's performance. Marshall plays with more of an edge, but unfortunately it felt like sometimes he was taking himself out of the play a bit to play with that edge. He also looked like he could use a tad bit more quickness and or positioning. Confidence and experience should help with the speed thing though since once he has a better understanding of where to be, he'll go right to that spot instead of delaying. I found myself noticing Bourdon less last night. It could be I wasn't looking for him but I don't feel like i heard his name much. Which in his case could be a good thing. Considering the game itself was a bad one and a bad loss, the fact that I'm not sitting here practically blaming these guys for their horrendous play says a lot to me.

When they were drafted I had high hopes for both of them. Marshall is a leader and physical player and Bourdon had some offensive skills and could lay out some punishing hits. They just haven't materialized and I think the brass overestimated their impact in the NHL.

I can see Bourdon possibly being a 5/6 guy with work but as others have mentioned, Marshall is very slow. I LOVE his grit and toughness but he simply is a pylon out there in the next level.

Maybe it was fear of getting caught too deep or lack of an understanding of Lavy's system, but at the end of the day I would say Bourdon is more ready than Marshall and that is not saying much.

Homer seems to agree. He sent Marshall down today and kept Bourdon around. Even so, I wasn't impressed with either and would be surprised if either became an NHL regular.

I honestly don't think this organization has a clue how to develop defencemen. Both these guys were above average juniors. It's not like it's too late for them, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of progress. Christ, the odds are we'd fluke a good/great defenceman some day. Yet we haven't.

I honestly don't think this organization has a clue how to develop defencemen. Both these guys were above average juniors. It's not like it's too late for them, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of progress. Christ, the odds are we'd fluke a good/great defenceman some day. Yet we haven't.

i remember the book on bourdon coming out was a chris letang type player, puck mover, good shot, won't hose you because he's thinking offense. i remember people on the forum being pretty high on him.

i also remember the book on marshall was his skating needed to improve and um well, sounds like that's not happening.

i also remember the book on marshall was his skating needed to improve and um well, sounds like that's not happening.

I think it was Bourdon who was said to need to work on his skating. He still does but his decision making with the puck is better than Marshall's. Marshall's skating isn't so bad but he's slow and doesn't know what to do with the puck.

Marshall seems to play with an edge, but is flat out slow to get back in position.

It pains me to say this, but Marshall has always been foot slow. I liked him allot with the Maine Maniacs and watched him run ruffshod over many player in the Memorial Cup. But it is clear that he may never be NHL ready.

To me, Guftason (sp) is ahead of both these guys. It depends what you want for a 6th / 7th developing d-man.

@terp

Interesting. I guess Pronger is still out with the Flu or whatever he has. Thankfully it is the Islanders we are playing so the pressure may be a little lower. Then again Carolina made us look flat out bad.

The good thing is we will have both Pronger and Coburn back in the line up soon.

@terp well in Marshall's case slow and stupid is no way to make it to the show...

my thought with these guys is once Gus gets healthy he should play, and play a lot; even at the expense of Lilja or Walker, he has upside to develop, at this point Lilja is what he is same with Walker, and if Bourdon is close , why not dress him for a couple of games as a 7 and give him some NHL minutes and see if he rises to the challenge. that way when 20 is not able to dress we have options that know Lavy's "system" and we can roll 3 pairings instead of shortening the bench.

@Vanflyer

I did not get to see his pre phantom development, but that is good to know. I also believe that Gus has much more of a shot at the 7th spot.

Does Bartulis have to go through re-entry waivers. If not, does Lavy hate him?

I don't think he does. There are RFA types of restrictions that I am too lazy to go look up (Aziz is a good person about these things). What I do know is he was never waived to begin with. He has not played a game with the Flyers this year. I think his status is similar to Bourdon and Marshall- he can be called up and sent down without exposure to claim

Read away- I am too lazy.

. http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2009/11/26/1174855/waivers-101-a-guide-to-the-nhl

I honestly don't think this organization has a clue how to develop defencemen.

You made me try to think of the last NHL defenseman that the Flyers brought up through and was decent.

John Stevens? ;) Ryan Parent? Sbisa shouldn't count.

You made me try to think of the last NHL defenseman that the Flyers brought up through and was decent.

John Stevens? ;) Ryan Parent? Sbisa shouldn't count.

Pitkanen and Seidenberg turned out ok, but Philly gave up on both of them. Tertyshny was looking good until his death by misadventure with a propeller. Niinimaa? He was alright but only lasted 2 years here. Yushkevich got in a whole 2 1/2 years before he was dumped.

Bundy? Chris Therien was drafted and developed by Philly and we got 11 years out of him. That's the best defenceman the Flyers have drafted and developed in over 20 years and 67 defencemen drafted? You'd think if you picked names out of a hat 67 times you'd come up with something better than Chris Thereien.No wonder we haven't won a cup.

I think you have to go back to 1978 and Behn Wilson to really find a good one, and he only played 5 years here. Larry Murphy, the Watson brothers, Larry Goodenough, Ed Van Impe, Tom Bladon...that's pretty much it. Sad innit?

Bundy? Chris Therien was drafted and developed by Philly and we got 11 years out of him. That's the best defenceman the Flyers have drafted and developed in over 20 years and 67 defencemen drafted? You'd think if you picked names out of a hat 67 times you'd come up with something better than Chris Thereien.No wonder we haven't won a cup.

Depending on what is done with Bob, you can the inability to develop everything other than forwards....

I agree Behn Wilson was the last real all around defense man in the Flyer's pen. Another guy like him would be a major boost to the "D" corps. Apparently Coburn,in spite of the fact he has all the tools will not step up to assume more leadership.

Another young defenseman who was looking good with the Flyers was Dmitri Tertyshny . He was killed in a freak boating accident back in the late 90's.

Ya, I mentioned him here in an earlier post...

Pitkanen and Seidenberg turned out ok, but Philly gave up on both of them. Tertyshny was looking good until his death by misadventure with a propeller. Niinimaa? He was alright but only lasted 2 years here. Yushkevich got in a whole 2 1/2 years before he was dumped.

I think you have to go back to 1978 and Behn Wilson to really find a good one, and he only played 5 years here. Larry Murphy, the Watson brothers, Larry Goodenough, Ed Van Impe, Tom Bladon...that's pretty much it. Sad innit?

Edited by flyercanuck