How much are the Jets paying Pavelec?

Guest OH1FlyersFan

.....because it should be more than we're paying Bryz.

The guy gets three nice stops on our "best" shooters and Bryz lets one sneak through. Utterly predictable. This is beyond frustrating for me. Either pay Bryz what he's worth - maybe mid to high six figures a year (being generous) - or start demanding the guy play up to his seven figure annual salary. I hate losing to these last place and middle of the pack teams.

Really? Three nice stops. Looked to me like the Flyers shot three shots right into him. The guy really hasn't been that good over his career. He's about as streaky as they come. If want to win in a shootout you may want to score atleast one. Just a thought.

He stopped all three. From my perspective, that's call great positioning! :P Any time you keep a goal out of the back of the net, it's a nice stop. Just wishing Bryz could have done the same.

And I totally agree. It really would be nice to score just one. That didn't happen either. But in this battle of the goaltenders, what I see is three stops for pavelec, only two stops for Bryz. And that third shot he missed looked like it was right at him too.

Can't pin this loss on Bryz, he played well. Pavalec just played better. He's stoned the Flyers before. The Flyers dominated the 3rd and OT but just couldn't find the net. It would be nice however if just once we could say that the Flyers got outplayed but Bryz stole the game. At this point I'm not going to hold my breath.

I agree Jack, Bryz played decent tonight. He gave the Flyers a chance to win and they just couldn't score.

it's unbelievable that the guy just can't win one shootout!

He's a Flyer. The Flyers have always struggled in shootouts

(19-37 since 2005 or some ridiculous number like that)

Edited by jkearse123

.....because it should be more than we're paying Bryz.

The guy gets three nice stops on our "best" shooters and Bryz lets one sneak through. Utterly predictable. This is beyond frustrating for me. Either pay Bryz what he's worth - maybe mid to high six figures a year (being generous) - or start demanding the guy play up to his seven figure annual salary. I hate losing to these last place and middle of the pack teams.

the guy stole the show last night..

Can't pin this loss on Bryz, he played well. Pavalec just played better

One day maybe our goalie will play better. And be able to stone a team......more than once. That would be awesome. I don't disagree that Bryz made some great saves last night - the score could have been a lot worse - and he had some help from the pipe, but at the end of the night, he just couldn't get the save he needed. The shootout reveals a lot about the goaltender. At that point, it's pretty hard to make excuses. It's one on one.

He's a Flyer. The Flyers have always struggled in shootouts

(19-37 since 2005 or some ridiculous number like that)

\

I don't get it either. We have great scorers. We have more 10 plus goal scorers than any other team in the League - at least before the break - I haven't done the research this morning. So we can score. We have the dirty goal scorers, but we have guys like Jagr, Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, etc. They can score the pretty goals. I don't know what happens to everyone when it comes to the shootout. It's maddening. And then there's the goaltending which is a horse I won't beat anymore.

The shootout reveals a lot about the goaltender. At that point, it's pretty hard to make excuses. It's one on one.

It reveals a lot about the shooters too. You're not going to win many shootouts if you can't score any goals. Honestly, if Bryz continues to play the way he played last night I think we'd all be pretty happy. Whether he will continue to play like that is another question.

It reveals a lot about the shooters too. You're not going to win many shootouts if you can't score any goals. Honestly, if Bryz continues to play the way he played last night I think we'd all be pretty happy. Whether he will continue to play like that is another question.

Exactly...I mean some will take comfort in his play last night and say NOW he is on track and then watch he will let in 5 laughers against rookies scoring their first NHL goals. I want to believe he is on track but I just dont trust him yet as he has proven to be pretty streaky himself.

Braydon Schenn speaks:

"Well, I think for us we were way too cute the first two periods," Schenn said. "We didn't have many shots or many chances and I feel like we didn't start playing the way we can until the third. We've just got to get better and I guess learn how to win on home ice."

I like it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20120201_Sam_Donnellon__Fans_snooze__Flyers_lose.html

Yeah it only took 14 Mins to get our 1st shot on net. We gave a nice mock cheer last night when it finally happened. You guys better learn to win on home ice after a few years of ticket price freezes the price went up this year and we would like some more bang for our buck

Edited by Poulin20

@Poulin20 - even in the 3rd period and OT, they were dominating puck possession but not shooting enough. You guys are clearly not doing your job... you know that you're supposed to be yelling, "SHOOT! SHOOT!" all game, right?

LOL those are my favorite guys the ones who yell shoot when there are 3 guys blocking the shooting lane ready to go come back on a 3 on 1 and score on Bryz. Although you are right last night we definitely could have used more "Shoot" fans as the Flyers are still passing up clear shots for the slam dunk pass. Edited by Poulin20

Pavelec was a second round pick for the Thrashers in 2005 and they've developed him.

The Flyers haven't spent a first or second round pick on a goaltender since 1999 and only four in their history (Pelletier, Ouelette, Boucher).

The other was Pelle Lindbergh.

Can't pin this loss on Bryz, he played well. Pavalec just played better. He's stoned the Flyers before. The Flyers dominated the 3rd and OT but just couldn't find the net. It would be nice however if just once we could say that the Flyers got outplayed but Bryz stole the game. At this point I'm not going to hold my breath.

I wouldn't pin the loss on Bryz but he was by no means stellar. While I don't fault him on the goal that was scored, he was fortunate there weren't more; he got way out of position a few times and was saved only by ferocious back checking. OK, the Flyers failed to score in the SO. But he was outplayed (again) by a guy making a fraction of what he is making. He wasn't horrible but it wasn't like he stood on his head and they lost anyway.

Edited by terp

I hope you're right. And I agree, it does take success on both sides of the equation. When both sides break down, there's trouble.

The D seriously bailed out Bryz a few times. He's still just as slow laterally and in his own reflexes as before the break.

man, there was one play where he slid from left to right to make a save. then the puck I believe came around to the other side of the net. I saw his head track it but his body was frozen there for another second or so before he lunged over. very easily could've been a goal against but I the shooter sent it high and wide.

the one D play that made me laugh was when Timmo turned and faced the guy he almost let go. I seriously thought he was going to called for interference or something. The shot ended up hitting Timmo in the back of the leg but the way he played his man was hilarious.

i cannot believe how slow bryz looks going side to side. tuesday night highlighed that several times...

it's like he has Carter disease and doesn't read the play ... at all.

Edited by mojo1917