Rumors - Not Fleetwood Mac

Guest Bakanekimiwa

there's a lot of rumors floating around about the flyers and some seem more credible than others. namely, i heard that montreal canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was seen at saturday's game between the flyers and rangers.

the most likely trade between us and them would be for Hal Gill. what do we think about this trade possibility? i'm not sure i'm a big fan of it, but i suppose it would be a question of what players it would take to trade. who could pierre have been looking at on sat? i sure hope it wasn't bob.

there's a lot of rumors floating around about the flyers and some seem more credible than others. namely, i heard that montreal canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier was seen at saturday's game between the flyers and rangers.

the most likely trade between us and them would be for Hal Gill. what do we think about this trade possibility? i'm not sure i'm a big fan of it, but i suppose it would be a question of what players it would take to trade. who could pierre have been looking at on sat? i sure hope it wasn't bob.

I'll pass on Gill...next question......

yeah.. i haven't looked at their needs, but i'm sure you're right... they need scoring. especially to make up for scott gomez. ;)

but honestly, there's pretty much not one guy on our team that i'd give up for Hal Gill except for shelley. i'm sure they're not looking for shelley.

This is way out there, but maybe Homer doesn't think he can resign Voracek for a reasonable salary, and was going to move him to the Habs for a 1st round pick?

I can't see a reason to trade for Hal Gill. I wouldn't want him for free. I wouldn't want him in exchange for a salary dump. I wouldn't want him if they took Bryz. Okay, maybe.

I think Hal Gill would be a band-aid. I can't see Holmgren going for it.

I think Hal Gill would be a band-aid. I can't see Holmgren going for it.

But isn't that what Homer does best? Band-aids. I can totally see Homer doing this and leaving the team in the lurch once again. In fact, I'll guarantee this is what happens. Over pay for an over-the-hill defenseman who won't add anything.

I wouldn't mind getting Gill. He's a solid defenseman and good on the PK. But there is no way the Flyers are trading Bob for Hal Gill. Most likely it would be a draft pick or two, mid/late rounds.

I hope they look at a longer term solution. He's what 36 or 37? He may be a stop-gap for this season, but I'm not sure if brining him on board will even help. I think our problems this season are bigger than a Hal Gill is going to be able to help. This is a band-aid and we've lost an arm. Don't blow your wad on this guy at this point in the season.

@doom88-

I don't think Homer is worried about signing Voracek. Voracek coming to Philly has been a godsend for his career. Voracek makes 2.25 M. I don't see him getting much more than that. The Flyers could sign him for 3 years and he would still be a RFA. That bodes well for the Flyers- and still gives Voracek time to grow and get a better payday. Also, the Flyers could go to arbitration with Voracek. He is young and has a high ceiling, yet at the end of the day he is still just a 50point scorer at present time. He does play 16-17 min a night. The only comparable I cold come up with is TJ Oshie in St Louis, but he plays first line minutes. The are comparable in that Oshie is mostly a play making winger (But voracek has bigger size). Oshie signed a 1 year RFA deal for 2.35 m last year and is a RFA again this summer.

IF the Flyers were to move Voracek, he would certainly be worth MORE than a 1st round pick. I mean he is a 7th overall pick and 22 y/o with a big upside.

But isn't that what Homer does best? Band-aids. I can totally see Homer doing this and leaving the team in the lurch once again. In fact, I'll guarantee this is what happens. Over pay for an over-the-hill defenseman who won't add anything.

More credence to why I am getting closer to NHL Center Ice as my home team.

We have to get rid of Briere to move Couturier up to where he belongs ( centering a third line ). However Montreal's GM stated that they need to get bigger forwards, not munchkins like Briere so that isn't happening.

What we need is to somehow get Lavi to trade his system for something more effective, dump Berube and McCarthy and hire Desjardins as the defense coach.

@Bakanekimiwa

Maybe Montreal was trying to see if the Rangers would take Gomez back if Montreal pays half his salary.

i hadn't considered that possibility... but, it IS a possibility. ;)

i'll try to be positive if they get him, but i hope we don't give up much if we do. i guess he would bring a much needed presence in front of our net, but he really is just a bandaid as others have said. basically, they would bring him in to buy a few more playoff games... maybe. i guess that's worth it to the comcast wallet.

We need to add 2 more defensemen to this team, not some ancient stiff like Hal Gill, i wouldnt even bother. We need 2 more "defensemen" guys who can hit, block shots, and who are positionally strong. If we cant get a franchise guy like Webber, then we need 2 good defensive guys. Carle is gonna ask for big $$ and for his 5 goals and 20 assists, he is not worth paying 5 million. So we may actually need 3 guys. Gus is tiny and needs more time in the minors, Timmo is old, so this is something we have to face. Our system has no impact dmen to speak of, so anyone that suggests we not trade a guy like JVR, is on drugs. We have no means to get a dman, unless we got lucky and offered a big RFA contract to Webber and Nashville didnt match. Even if we got Webber we still need at least one more guy.

so maybe Webber and Bryan Allen, or else someone has to go in a trade probably JVR. Maybe we target guys like Bogosian, Subban, Schenn or Jack Johnson. these are the only young dmen that are rumored to be available. So maybe we get one of thse guys and a solid older guy like Bryan Allen. Hal gil wont make us any better, I wouldnt waste a draft pick on him

@Bakanekimiwa

I am not giving any roster players for Gil. A second rounder should get it done or a lower pick and a prospect out of the Phantoms. That's why I kind of question the whole Montreal GM scouting the Flyers (unless it is a bigger move).

what kind of bigger move could there be though!? nothing else makes sense. a GM showing up for our game is close to pulling the trigger on something. whether he'd show up for just Hal Gill does seem a bit of a stretch. it's very possible there is something the rangers could be interested in from montreal, but off-hand i don't know what.

so, what worries me is that gauthier also wouldn't be showing up to scout if it was just picks involved. i really hope homer doesn't do anything stupid here because i completely agree with you... i'm not giving up a roster player for hal stinkin gill.

If Homer gives up Bob for Hal Gill, he should be shot at that moment. Not fired - SHOT.

I really hope Gouthier showed up to scout the Rangers' players, not our players. I am sure they have some decent players on their roster who they would be looking to move, but that won't be for free. And I just hope Homer doesn't weaken this team.