Homer speaks in code for "We're trying to trade one of them"

Guest rickmac19

The fact that neither goalie has bus tire treads on their gear indicates to me that Holmgren is working furiously to try to trade one of those goaltenders. The "good guys," "work hard in practice" speech showcases them to some other team that might buy the "change of scenery" line of thinking and even consider eating Bryzgalov's contract.

What's your over/under on what it will cost for the Flyers to get out of the Bryzgalov contract? (By that, I mean, the player the Flyers need to add over and above fair market value just to get rid of his top-five goalie contract [for a player not even in the top five in his own DIVISION!].)

Alreight even they will trade one of them, then what? Flyers will never have calm situation in goalies. We had history over 20 years, and none of them work out well. It's karma and just stop trading and talking about them, may be if forget them for couple months then miracle will happen.

The fact that neither goalie has bus tire treads on their gear indicates to me that Holmgren is working furiously to try to trade one of those goaltenders. The "good guys," "work hard in practice" speech showcases them to some other team that might buy the "change of scenery" line of thinking and even consider eating Bryzgalov's contract.

What's your over/under on what it will cost for the Flyers to get out of the Bryzgalov contract? (By that, I mean, the player the Flyers need to add over and above fair market value just to get rid of his top-five goalie contract [for a player not even in the top five in his own DIVISION!].)

If I'm Homer, I tell Columbus that taking Bryz is part of the Nash deal.

Or just maybe we just sit tight & hope that Bryz settles down & gets his game back.

Philly is way different from Anaheim or Phoenix.

Or just maybe we just sit tight & hope that Bryz settles down & gets his game back.

exactly... any condition of a nash deal better include bryz or we just don't make any deal. we don't NEED a nash deal, so if they're pushing it(as some have said), that's our condition. i actually think it might not be a bad deal for CBJ to take bryz as they have a mess in net of their own. i don't think they consistently spend to the cap, so they usually have some room to take on a heavy contract. plus... nash's actual payout gets heavier as it goes on as opposed to how bryz's is front loaded. we paid him one-fifth of it already this year.

i think it's not unreasonable to think that bryz might fair much better in a smaller market like columbus. he did well in anaheim and phoenix where 50% of their population doesn't even realize they have a hockey team. philly is most certainly a different beast. if anyone is unsure about this, tell them to take a look at the back and forth on JVR's twitter account on saturday. fans are ruthless here.

exactly... any condition of a nash deal better include bryz or we just don't make any deal. we don't NEED a nash deal, so if they're pushing it(as some have said), that's our condition. i actually think it might not be a bad deal for CBJ to take bryz as they have a mess in net of their own. i don't think they consistently spend to the cap, so they usually have some room to take on a heavy contract. plus... nash's actual payout gets heavier as it goes on as opposed to how bryz's is front loaded. we paid him one-fifth of it already this year.

i think it's not unreasonable to think that bryz might fair much better in a smaller market like columbus. he did well in anaheim and phoenix where 50% of their population doesn't even realize they have a hockey team. philly is most certainly a different beast. if anyone is unsure about this, tell them to take a look at the back and forth on JVR's twitter account on saturday. fans are ruthless here.

I would be in favor if trying to trade for Nabakov, just to settle down the goaltending for the remainder of the season. Give Bryz a chance to find himself.

Maybe he will find his A-game again & stop letting the fact that he plays in a real hockey market stop bothering him. When he is on his game, he is a great goalie.

If, however, Homer can find a way to unload his contract, I would doo whatever I could to land Bernier (LA) or Corey Schneider (Van). I think the sky is the limit for Bernier.

• Like 1

I would be in favor if trying to trade for Nabakov, just to settle down the goaltending for the remainder of the season. Give Bryz a chance to find himself.

Maybe he will find his A-game again & stop letting the fact that he plays in a real hockey market stop bothering him. When he is on his game, he is a great goalie.

If, however, Homer can find a way to unload his contract, I would doo whatever I could to land Bernier (LA) or Corey Schneider (Van). I think the sky is the limit for Bernier.

exactly... this is the way i'd look at it as well. if they plan on just waiting out(what i think is just a huge adjustment period for bryz), then we need some help now because bob isn't doing it. i mean.. of all the grief everyone gives bryz, let's not forget that bob was our failsafe backup plan. if bryz faltered, we could always put this young talented goalie in there and all will be ok right? well, bob has actually played worse than bryz. and i don't think the excuse of lack of consistent starts can be blamed here. he was given his chance at consistent starts and he blew it.

Count me in on this crazy mofo idea!

Problem: got two Russian goalies that suck

Solution: go get a 3rd Russsian goalie!

Nabakov is playing really well right now. I just think he'd be a great stop-gap for the rest of the season.

And he should come relatively cheap. Very low-risk, high reward.

Bob might be real starting goalie material in a few years, but that is a pretty big "if" right now, IMO.

I'd love to see a 3 team tree with LA and Columbus and snag Johnson and Bernier from LA.

Alreight even they will trade one of them, then what? Flyers will never have calm situation in goalies. We had history over 20 years, and none of them work out well. It's karma and just stop trading and talking about them, may be if forget them for couple months then miracle will happen.

From this and other posts you have made it is clear that you are Russian and defending your fellow countryman, which is fine, but don't expect the rest of us to buy into that crap.

Or better yet just trade scoring to LA for Bernier.

Bernier would be my first choice, hands-down.

If Homer could trade JvR, Bob & Carle (or something like that) for Jack Johnson & Bernier, I do that deal so fast your head would spin.

LA desperately needs more offense. (And that is where I expect Nash to land too.)

With Bernier in the picture for a trade that could be the solution except for being hamstrung with the Byrzaster and not wanting to mess with the "young guns". They should be the trade partners not CBJ, thats what makes sense

*** I looked up the cap hit for the buyout according to the existing CBA terms and for Bryzaster it was a modest cap hit ( not cash paid ) until a few years down the road where the buyout CAP HIT was like 6 million****** ARGGGHHHHHHH

Hopefully the new CBA allows a one time on him getting outed or he high tails it to the KHL with all the loot he robbed from here in one year ( bonus???)

Could you imagine this team with Bernier and the restructured defense?

Homer did the same thing to rebuild the team in season during 03-04 when he rebuilt with Zhamnov, Malakov, Timmander and Danny Markov after Roenick and Primeau both got knocked out, Rico too. Traded Bundy, Vandermeer and Weinrich. Should have held on to the last guy and we win the Cup with more depth on D that year, sigh.

Edited by BobDailey

Howdy:

God only knows how much we would love to dump Bryz or get some "assets" in return for Bobo. But who would take the former and what might we expect for the Bobo. Me thinks we are stuck with these dudes for at least another half season. If Bryz sucks next year...we could see the nuclear option and a waive with someone picking him up on recall at half price for a risk. Bobo may or may not get much.

I am not holding my breath. Hopefully our cadre of good young forwards doesn't get sacrificed on the alter of Ed Snider's ego and mandate that the goaltending gets fixed. This franchise couldn't develop or retain a good goaltender even under the threat of a drunken rabbi doing a botched circumcision on the players, owners, male fans (no, this isn't Africa, no women), or whomever.

Peace,

Howie

Why does everyone think that Bernier is the next coming of Parent? This is the guy that was supposedly the heir apparent in LA, but lost it to Quick. I know he has some nice Junior and AHL credentials, but what has he done at the NHL level: the answer is naught. So everyone is banking on a 23 year old with potential. Don't we already have one of those?? Just wondering......

Truthfully, I want Schneider from Vancouver. While Sivgalov would still be a problem, give Van Bobs and Schneider becomes our starting goalie. It helps solve the never ending goalie controversy in Van as well. We will have to give a JVR probably as well.

Truthfully, I want Schneider from Vancouver. While Sivgalov would still be a problem, give Van Bobs and Schneider becomes our starting goalie. It helps solve the never ending goalie controversy in Van as well. We will have to give a JVR probably as well.

Schneider is a RFA after this season and will be Vancouver's biggest chip in the off-season. Most Canuck's fans seem to like the idea of trading Lou back to Florida (where his wife lives) and keeping Schneid's.

@OzFlyer, @BrowntoBure

Hello down under. Yeah, I know he is a RFA at the end of this year, and thus why I propose the trade idea. He is going to want a good raise and one that Vancouver more than likely will not be able to afford. I am not saying trade NOW for him, just trade for him in the summer. Nothing is going to turn this season around (though maybe having him would).

I did not know that Luongo's wife lives in Florida. Where did you hear the Luongo back to Florida scuttlebut? While I really like with Dineen and company are doing down there, it is hard for me to fathom that Luongo would leave Vancover.

Where is Browntobure to weigh in on this?? He shirley would have good insight as I have been removed from the intimate Vancouver seen for a bit.

@Vanflyer

Luongos wife is in Florida. That's the reason he stuck it out there. At least I think she STILL lives there (I remember when he signed with the 'Nucks she threw a fit and was complaining how much she hated it there, can you imagine hating Vancouver?) When they had their first kid a few years ago he took time off to go to Florida to be with his wife. Nice woman, choses herself over her multi-million dollar making NHL goalie husband. I'd have dumped that in a minute.

@aziz - agreed, lots of hype.

On the other hand, hype exists for a reason. Look at his career stats: well above.900 sv%

I'm not a huge fan of scouts, pundits, fantasy hockey GMs etc talking in terms of "pedigree" and such rot, but how else do you distinguish between the Bernier's and the Michael Leightons?

Ironically, his 2011/12 stats for the 11 starts he's had are among his career worst in both GAA and sv%

Edited by Podein25

Look at his career stats: well above.900 sv%

i don't know if i'd call .908 "well above .900". bob's career sv% is .911....i'm not sure bernier gets the nod on that front.

I'm not a huge fan of scouts, pundits, fantasy hockey GMs etc talking in terms of "pedigree" and such rot, but how else do you distinguish between the Bernier's and the Michael Leightons?

honestly? you don't. with goalies, anyway. great today, terrible tomorrow, it is just shy of impossible to predict. some team at some point has to take the gamble and give him several seasons worth of experimentation, the bluechip goaltending prospect almost doesn't exist. i think bernier would be a good experiment for some team to take, the flyers included, but there is no reason to be anything more than hopefull about the outcome. nature of the position.

the bluechip goaltending prospect almost doesn't exist...there is no reason to be anything more than hopefull about the outcome.

I can see what you are talking about, but if you had to choose between a Bernier or a Schneider and say a Reimer or Gustavsson, you'd still choose the former, right? You'd be more hopeful with one of those guys, right?

The question of what value you put on the difference is a different question really.

You'd be more hopeful with one of those guys, right?

i guess. if i had to put them in order of hopefulness, i guess i'd go schneider first, because he has been the most consistently impressive over his limited time...then reimer tied with bernier, followed up by gustavsson. i wouldn't put a ton of faith in that list, though. i was pretty sure steve mason was going to be a badass after his calder-winning, 61 start / .916sv% / 10 shutouts rookie season. spent a 1st round pick in FHL on him for his sophmore season. that went very :(