2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version (#5 Overall)

pilldoc

2022 NHL Draft - Flyers Version  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Updated Question. Flyers are now drafting #5 overall. Who do you want?

• Juraj Slafkovsky -TPS (Liiga) (Slovakia)- LW / C / RW
    • Simon Nemec -HK Nitra (Slovakia) - RHD
    • Logan Cooley - USDP (United States) - C (NOTE: Committed to Univ. Minn.)
    • Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Joakim Kemell - JYP (Liiga) (Finland) - RW
    • David Jiricek - HC Plzen (Czech) - RHD
    • Connor Geekie - Winnipeg (WHL - Canada) - C
    • Other?
    • BPA (Best Player Available)

13 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm starting to get a nervous feeling with only a few days before the draft. Honestly, I'm ok with the Flyers selecting one of Savoie/ Gauthier/Jiricek/Nemec or even moving down to grab a Kasper or Lekkerimaki (who is a devastating finisher). I'm worried that they're going to put together a stupid package for a player that won't be a fit and it's just going to be another mess. It really feels like there isn't a plan in place and that Fletcher is throwing **** at a wall to see what sticks. 

Yeah we will probably give up multiple assets like Brink, Frost and the #5 for that midget DeBrincat. Acquiring him will only take us from horrible to mediocre, so what's the point. We need to compile assets,  not trade them. If we were smart we would trade Konecny to Ottawa for the #7 and Ridley Greig, then we can draft Jiracek and Gauthier or Savoie. That's how you build a team.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah but they will have to trade back to take him and knowing their luck IF they ever were to do so he would go off the board the pick right before theirs.

I don't know what the Flyers have to do to get a better turn at luck like the Eagles have had the last 5 years.

WTF will it take??

They should hire Howie, that would just make your day :poke:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lmao.  What?...  Why would Ottawa want to give up their 1st AND their 1st round selection from 2020?  For TK?  Honestly?  TK for the #7 straight up is a dream in itself.  Need to have some bit of realism with these fantasy deals.  As much as many here seem to believe, Chuck Fletcher's just don't grow on trees and aren't out there to take advantage of.

Would love Greig.  But, it's funny that on one hand, you make a derogatory comment about DeBrincat.  And on the other hand, you want Ridley.  Whose issues are his size and strength.

Nemec is one thing.  He's going to be a top pair NHL dman.  Jiracek is a completely different thing.

Laugh all you want ,that's a trade proposal coming out of Ottawa. Konecny is a thrity goal scorer on a better team with good linemates. I'm not as concerned about Greig ,he is 6ft 180 and he wouldn't cost 4 assets like DeBrincat, who is a dwarf 5f 6 165 .  We would actually be getting assets instead of giving them up. 

22 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lmao.  What?...  Why would Ottawa want to give up their 1st AND their 1st round selection from 2020?  For TK?  Honestly?  TK for the #7 straight up is a dream in itself.  Need to have some bit of realism with these fantasy deals.  As much as many here seem to believe, Chuck Fletchers just don't grow on trees and aren't out there to take advantage of.

Would love Greig.  But, it's funny that on one hand, you make a derogatory comment about DeBrincat.  And on the other hand, you want Ridley.  Whose issues are his size and strength.

Nemec is one thing.  He's going to be a top pair NHL dman.  Jiricek is a completely different thing.

I heard the same thing about Konecny + a 2nd in 2023 to Ottawa for the 7th overall and Greig.  Now this was on one of the Flyers podcasts, but the guy they had on from the Ottawa Senators podcast has all sorts of contacts within the Senators organization and he's reported a number of breaking deals out of Ottawa. So, I guess where there's smoke....

Personally, I like Konecny and wouldn't move him. But he'd be a real good fit in Ottawa, especially playing behind Tkachuk on the right side. 

I don't know. It's so hard to get a read on this team and some of the players. Individually, there's some talented players, but collectively they're a mess. 

31 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I heard the same thing about Konecny + a 2nd in 2023 to Ottawa for the 7th overall and Greig.  Now this was on one of the Flyers podcasts

The Flyers don't have a 2nd in 2023...

26 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

They do if they don't sign O'Brien, which is what the Flyers podcasters believe. Once again, just reporting what was stated on the podcast 

O' Brian has a high skill level and had a good season last year in college.  I would rather keep him then a late second round pick.

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

They do if they don't sign O'Brien, which is what the Flyers podcasters believe. Once again, just reporting what was stated on the podcast 

What?

How is not signing O'Brien going to give them their 2nd round pick in 2023 back?

I'm confused.

On 6/27/2022 at 10:42 AM, mojo1917 said:

Every time he was on the ice in this tournament he looked fast and dangerous. 

He looked McDavid-like in that regard. 

This is where I separate "very good" players from "elite".

The Flyers have been reling upon "very good" players and haven't had "elite" since... Lindros?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, radoran said:

Oh, I believe you. And giving up on a first rounder to get a 2nd to trade for a player who's not really what your team needs is peak Flyers...

If that move doesn't have Chuck Fletcher written all over I don't know what does.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Compensation pick for not signing him. 

Ok.

Wasn't aware of that. Guess I need to read up on the NHL's compensation rules.

I think they sign him after this upcoming season in college.

But I have been wrong before.

Charlie O'Conner thinks Gauthier has a strong shot to be the Flyers pick.

He like me wants Cooley, no one thinks he gets past Seattle even if Arizona outsmarts themselves.

He prefers Nemec over Jiricek but would be fine with either as well.

He is leaning towards the Flyers using the pick, in spite of all the trade rumors.

I just want them to use the pick...and not go off the reservation trying to be smart. See: Morin, Samuel 

I'm not interested in DeBrincat for the price Chicago is asking, plus there is too much risk of him testing the UFA market in 2 years.

Not the kind of situation I would give up a lot of treasure to find myself in. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not interested in DeBrincat for the price Chicago is asking

Me either.

Stay the course.

Use the 5th.

Best player available.

Add him to the young talent already waiting.

• Like 4

What scares me, the closer we get to the draft..is Chuckles and the Flyer Circus are going to trade the #5 pick, for a 32 (or over) year old player with a fat contract (Brett Burns?). Please tell me I'm wrong, and go....

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

What scares me, the closer we get to the draft..is Chuckles and the Flyer Circus are going to trade the #5 pick, for a 32 (or over) year old player with a fat contract (Brett Burns?). Please tell me I'm wrong, and go....

Myself I would rather he use the pick his drafts have been solid I think.

His trades and UFAs leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Myself I would rather he use the pick his drafts have been solid I think.

His trades and UFAs leave a lot to be desired.

His trades and UFAs have helped the team plummet to near dead last. His drafts are still a big ?...but are clearly his best contribution to the Flyers...all 18 points of it.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not interested in DeBrincat for the price Chicago is asking

what is that price?

Flyer fans are rarely ever willing to pay the price another team wants. We value our jumk immensely

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

His trades and UFAs have helped the team plummet to near dead last. His drafts are still a big ?...but are clearly his best contribution to the Flyers...all 18 points of it.

Yes, Shmucks trades and UFA deals have been mostly failures, except dumping Voracek. So far his draft picks are looking like they are at least progressing on schedule, Attard and York got some games in the NHL and looked solid. Wysdom and Foerester played well in their time with the Phantoms. Some of the later round picks are looking like they have skill.The guys in juniors and college have put up good numbers.

York, Brink, Attard, Millman Foerster, Andre, Wysdom ,Desoyners and Tuomala, this is a good blend of smaller skilled playmaking guys, a couple of wingers with finishing skills, a couple with good size and a few solid looking defensemen. 

We won't really know the full story for a few more years, whether these guys are gonna become first or second liners or just average. It will be more clear if passing on scorers Caufield and Boldy for York and Brink, was a good move or will it be another Patrick/Makar situation. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CoachX said:

what is that price?

Flyer fans are rarely ever willing to pay the price another team wants. We value our jumk immensely

DeBrincat is not gonna be enough to turn us into a contender. He will only help us go from horrible to just bad. There are too many holes in the lineup, physical uncertainty with Ellis, Coots and Hayes, lack of depth,etc. We may need a top 3 dman, backup goalie as well as the skill, scoring and size we have always lacked on the wing. DeBrincat is the kind of player you add when you have a strong nucleus and he is the last missing piece.

We are in no position to trade 3-4 assets for one player, especially a top 5 pick or good young guys like Foerester and York. Having 3-4 good players at different positions throughout your lineup two seasons from now is better than having one goal scorer this season.

We are not contenders. A team that is deep like Colorado could make trades and dump assets for immediate help, losing young players/ picks didnt hurt that kind of team.  We already wasted a first and two seconds on immediate help. We need a center, top 3 dman or a power wing, way more than a 5ft6 165lbg winger that's gonna cost us our top prospects. We have a chance to pick a very good player and fill a need at the same time.

Gauthier is a good pick because he projects as a Center or LW, so if Frost suddenly breaks out, you can groom Gauthier as LW or if Hayes/ Coots career ended, Gauthier can be groomed as a center. I believe Ellis is done, so they may draft Jiracek or Nemec ,unless Shmuck trades for someone like Petry, then they will draft a forward. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

38 minutes ago, CoachX said:

what is that price?

My understanding is 2 1st round picks (or equvialent prospects) and roster player.

So #5 this year and another #1 some other year and a guy like Konecny or Frost...

They may be junk, but they're where they are on the depth chart for a reason... and that is what's behind them is not as good.

So at least there's that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

My understanding is 2 1st round picks (or equvialent prospects) and roster player.

So #5 this year and another #1 some other year and a guy like Konecny or Frost...

They may be junk, but they're where they are on the depth chart for a reason... and that is what's behind them is not as good.

So at least there's that.

I read that Chicago wants the equivalent of four number one picks and already turned down an offer that's probably better than anything the Flyers could offer. Let's hope Shmuck is outbid so he doesn't ruin things amy worse than he already has.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

DeBrincat is not gonna be enough to turn us into a contender. He will only help us go from horrible to just bad.

no player in the league is, so thats not a legit argument. This number 5 pick isnt goingto do it either

52 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We are in no position to trade 3-4 assets for one player

if one of those assets is JVR, then yes we are. My recent trade idea was just me pulling it out of my ass. But, lets say TK, and Provy are moved, there have been numerous posts that Provy will be nothing more than a number 2 dman, and that TK might do better elsewhere. You have to give to get. And you Ellis to contend with, not to mention cap space

So if you move 3 assets, clearing significant space, gut some of the roster, and bring back a player who if he was in the draft toady, would be a consensus top 5 pick, it would make sense