"Lavy Rips Flyers" after Oilers loss

Guest radoran

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Lavy-rips-Flyers-after-loss-to-lowly-Oilers.html

EDMONTON, Alberta _ Flyers coach Peter Laviolette sharply criticized his team after their 2-0 loss to lowly Edmonton on Thursday.

Laviolette was especially upset about a second period performance that he called “bullbleep.”

“You’d like the think that it servers as a wake-up call, because we’re in a playoff race,” he said. “Tonight is unacceptable. We eased our way into the first period, the second period was horsebleep.”

In the second period, the Flyers were outscored, 2-0, and outshiot, 15-6.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Lavy-rips-Flyers-after-loss-to-lowly-Oilers.html#ixzz1nHBSLILe

Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

@brelic

I hope not. His system is a little annoying, his line combos have me scratching my head at times. But to be honest, I like him at the helm a hell of a lot more anything we've had in 15-16 years. Hitch had his moments, but often his hockey product was dull. Stevens was just a wuss. Barber was selected due to the good ol boy network and was in over his head (not due to his coaching abilities, rather his personal life and the s hit team he was handed). Ramsey was given too short of a leash in my opinion but wasn't the best for the long term.

Me too. He had a certain Zen quality that I thought was good for dealing with today's millionaire prima donas. Players would play for him. If you can get a player to play for you in a team way, well, you've got something there.

@brelic

I hope not. His system is a little annoying, his line combos have me scratching my head at times. But to be honest, I like him at the helm a hell of a lot more anything we've had in 15-16 years. Hitch had his moments, but often his hockey product was dull. Stevens was just a wuss. Barber was selected due to the good ol boy network and was in over his head (not due to his coaching abilities, rather his personal life and the s hit team he was handed). Ramsey was given too short of a leash in my opinion but wasn't the best for the long term.

I agree. I like Lavy's style of play.

If Bryz was playing anything like he was paid to do, there wouldn't even be a question about coaching.

That's the problem in my mind. Bryz obviously doesn't fit into Lavy's system.

Which one goes first? I hope it's Bryz.

I agree. I like Lavy's style of play.

If Bryz was playing anything like he was paid to do, there wouldn't even be a question about coaching.

That's the problem in my mind. Bryz obviously doesn't fit into Lavy's system.

Which one goes first? I hope it's Bryz.

I totally agree with you,but when a team comes out flat as much as this one perhaps the coach has lost the room. Edited by peter puck

How much does this team miss Pronger?

Not just on the ice, but in the room.

I think that many people have omitted the importance of Pronger. It was clearly Pronger's influence that got this team to the SCFs - not the supposed "captain".

Missing Pronger puts a giant hole in the defense and exacerbates the goalie problem. Lavy's run-and-gun system seems to have been designed with a monster Dman and a Wall in goal (not the Bulin Wall). Without the monster Dman, there's a big missing piece. Put a shaky pair of goalies in there and the system gets exposed.

They also desperately need that Voice in the locker room. The guy who's been there, done that and guys respect for knowing what's what.

Jagr's never been that guy, but perhaps bringing in Kubina and to a lesser extent Grossman will add to the choir of vets like Timonen and Briere. Talbot's a classic character guy, but I don't think he has that Voice that Pronger brought to the table.

@Digityman

Agreed. Last night was kind of an anomaly of sorts in that they had solid goaltending [for the most part, I am pretty sure the mulligan rule on Bryzgalov thus far is to let up at least one softie a game], yet the Flyers looked extremely disorganized and couldn't finish.

Night and day from Tuesday's game in Winnipeg.

Two things I have to admit that are bugging the hell out of me is all the passing in O zone and the inability to breakout of their own end. In regards to the passing in the offensive zone, I get that they want to get the goalie moving, but it is becoming all too easy for the opposition's defense to read and spring odd man rushes the other way. Also, I could have sworn that Kubina was playing right wing last night as I saw him saw him deeper in the offensive zone than the defensive zone more times than not.

The lines too. He had amazing forward lines in Winnipeg, so he decides to change them going into Edmonton?

I like Briere and Jagr together. Hartnell and Giroux work well. I think JvR and Schenn should always be together. Simmonds can be plugged virtually anywhere, the man is a beast. Voracek would probably look great with Briere and Jagr.

Never mind, I am getting side tracked.....sorry for the rant.

Edited by Bertmega

I think that many people have omitted the importance of Pronger.

With Pronger this team (despite Bryz) is without argument no worse than the 3rd best team in the East.

Without Pronger, well it's a team that has to fight for a playoff spot as they currently are doing.

I like Briere and Jagr together. Hartnell and Giroux work well. I think JvR and Schenn should always be together. Simmonds can be plugged virtually anywhere, the man is a beast. Voracek would probably look great with Briere and Jagr.

Funny. I was thinking last night that I don't like Jagr and Briere together. I think that's more because of Briere's play then them actually not playing well together.

I know it's a pipe-dream but I would still like to see Homer somehow get Nash. Then reunite Giroux with Jagr and add Nash.

Nash with Jagr and Giroux feeding him could literally carry the team in the playoffs.

I doubt Bryz isn't going anywhere and there really isn't much more that can be done on the defensive side that will help Bryz.

The Flyers are going to have to suck it up until (or if?) Bryz gets better. That means scoring 3+ goals a night.

@brelic

Hitch is a type of a coach whose way of coaching wears thin on players and, as a result, he has a short window of opportunity to win. And that's unfortunate because I always thought he was a damn good coach. And really, that year they lost to Tampa in 7 games was the year the Flyers were closer than ever to win it all. If it wasn't for a long list of injuries to key people, there is no doubt in mind they would’ve won the Cup. Kim Johnsson, Ragnarsson, Desjardins were all out and Amnote, JR, Zhamnov, and Kapanen were playing injured. And they *still* managed to push Tampa to 7 games. I put Hitch way above Laviolette, let alone the other coaches the Flyers had since Fred Shero.

But getting back to the topick of this thread, the team, again, is showing some lackadaisical attitude, much like the last year. I really think, again, there is a serious lack of leadership on this team with Pronger being out. They really seem to lack a presence in the locker room who could not only lead by example but push players hard. Giroux is getting there, but he is still very young. Jagr is not a leader. Timonen seems like a logical person who *should* be providing leadership, but for some reason, I think the players tune him out (just my perception, really). They need to find a real captain, which is easier said than done.

They need to find a real captain, which is easier said than done.

You hit the nail on the head with that one MD. Giroux will be the skipper one day, but it is far too soon for him right now. I like how some suggested Talbot. Timmonen would also seem logical, but I will second your statement of they seem to tune him out.

2004 was close, they could taste it and I am certain they would have steam rolled Calgary. To me I feel that 2000 was the closest to a cup.

@brelic

I agree. Besides, who else is there now available or that may be after the season that's good enough to take the job? Not like we can lure Torts away from the Rangers!