Flyers interested in Dustin Brown?

Guest Phillygrump

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has everybody here forgotten about the goalie problem ? Thats the first place hamer has to fix!

Agreed. I'm not moving JVR for a depth or parallel acquisition. I use JVR in a package to increase another position. But, given our two new blue liners, I would guess that ship has sailed. Our goaltending will not change this year.

I originally thought Weber or Suter or even Nash (only if they took Bryz too) but those are all pipe dreams.

Agreed. I'm not moving JVR for a depth or parallel acquisition. I use JVR in a package to increase another position. But, given our two new blue liners, I would guess that ship has sailed. Our goaltending will not change this year.

I originally thought Weber or Suter or even Nash (only if they took Bryz too) but those are all pipe dreams.

Four out of five threads surveyed are about the goalie problem.

In terms of trading for Dustin Brown, what on Earth does "the goalie problem" have to do with it?

There are only two realistic ways out of "the goalie problem" - Bryzgalov is bought out or plays to the level we all expect. Both mean we have to wait for the end of the season.

The third option of "another fool GM decides to make the Flyers' life easier" simply doesn't exist in any real sense. The Flyers have no reason to pick up Bernier with Bryzgalov signed longterm and Bob under contract for next season, so including him in any trade isn't among the likely things to happen.

If one wants to talk about "the goalie problem" then talk about it in one of the threads about "the goalie problem" - there's no need to bring it up in the discussion as to whether we want to trade our "disappointing" forward for their "disappointing" forward as if no one on the planet - or, indeed, the huge universe - was considering it.

@brelic only for the phrase "Agreed" (lol)

Four out of five threads surveyed are about the goalie problem.

In terms of trading for Dustin Brown, what on Earth does "the goalie problem" have to do with it?

There are only two realistic ways out of "the goalie problem" - Bryzgalov is bought out or plays to the level we all expect. Both mean we have to wait for the end of the season.

The third option of "another fool GM decides to make the Flyers' life easier" simply doesn't exist in any real sense. The Flyers have no reason to pick up Bernier with Bryzgalov signed longterm and Bob under contract for next season, so including him in any trade isn't among the likely things to happen.

If one wants to talk about "the goalie problem" then talk about it in one of the threads about "the goalie problem" - there's no need to bring it up in the discussion as to whether we want to trade our "disappointing" forward for their "disappointing" forward as if no one on the planet - or, indeed, the huge universe - was considering it.

@brelic only for the phrase "Agreed" (lol)

Bernier would actually help the team save $500,000 on the salary cap next year. And personally, I think Bernier has a bigger upside, so we either flip him next year, resign him and somehow get rid of Bryz, or get a bit of a discount on the next deal since Bernier has a smaller cap hit than Bob right now.

Bernier would actually help the team save $500,000 on the salary cap next year. And personally, I think Bernier has a bigger upside, so we either flip him next year, resign him and somehow get rid of Bryz, or get a bit of a discount on the next deal since Bernier has a smaller cap hit than Bob right now.

I have no issue with the possibility of including the two in a deal. That will *not* address "the goalie problem" as Bryzgalov still has eight years on his deal.

$500K is not enough, IMO, to make the deal worthwhile.

I have no issue with the possibility of including the two in a deal. That will *not* address "the goalie problem" as Bryzgalov still has eight years on his deal.

$500K is not enough, IMO, to make the deal worthwhile.

There really is no shot right now at dropping Bryz, so if your definition of addressing the goalie situation is to get rid of him, then you're right it will never be settled. However, I think Bernier is an upgrade, plus it will save money. If he steals the job from Bryz, somthing that Bob hasn't been able to do, then Bryz can be the league's most expensive backup. If he gets challenged by a backup, one of two things will happen. He will either step up his game because someone is pushing him, or he will wilt and eventually beg to waive his NMC to get out of Philly. We win either way.

what has Bernier done that would make anyone think he's better than Bob?

I think you answered your own question in another thread. You said it's because Bernier plays for someone other than the Flyers. That's why his "ceiling" is so much higher than Bob's. And you were right, that's exactly why.

I think you answered your own question in another thread. You said it's because Bernier plays for someone other than the Flyers. That's why his "ceiling" is so much higher than Bob's. And you were right, that's exactly why.

Not true.

I live in SoCal and have watched/followed the Ducks and Kings for years.

It isn't that long ago that people in LA were wondering if they were going to make Bernier the starter & move Quick. (At that time, I hoped the Flyers would be Quick's destination.) People within the Kings organization apparently thought that Bernier had a higher potential than Quick (which is saying something).

Bob, on the other hand, was practically unknown when the Flyers signed him and has shown little to convince anyone anything other than he might be the next Nitty (but with less on his resume).

I would trade for Bernier so fast your head would spin - him or Schneider.

i don't understand, based on what? how he played in the AHL? are 44 NHL games enough to go spinning heads over?

let me ask this, because i really don't understand it: why does bernier have all of 2 starts in 2012? 9 total for the season? if LA believe him to be a badass in training, why has quick started both sides of 5 back-to-backs? bernier's numbers look pretty good (bob's career numbers are actually better, but....), but LA seems *really* reluctant to play him. any idea why?

Not true.

I live in SoCal and have watched/followed the Ducks and Kings for years.

It isn't that long ago that people in LA were wondering if they were going to make Bernier the starter & move Quick. (At that time, I hoped the Flyers would be Quick's destination.) People within the Kings organization apparently thought that Bernier had a higher potential than Quick (which is saying something).

Bob, on the other hand, was practically unknown when the Flyers signed him and has shown little to convince anyone anything other than he might be the next Nitty (but with less on his resume).

Let me repeat the question, what has Bernier actually done to make us think that he's better than Bob? Not what did the Kings organization think he might do? What has he done? I can tell you what he's done statistically, in 44 NHL games he's put up a 2.55 GAA and a .909 save pct. Compared to Bob's 78 games, 2.70, and .911. And they're the same age. I don't see a big difference one way or the other, except that Bob has significantly more game experience. And taking into consideration that Bryz isn't going anywhere barring a miracle, trading one backup for another doesn't seem like a high priority to me.

Edited by JackStraw

brown to philly is a very interesting trade discussion. first of all... before we talk about the merits of a trade for brown, we need to clear up some confusion that i've seen written here in this thread. since when has it been determined that brown has 'fallen' from greatness.. or words to that effect. so brown is not on target for career numbers... is that it?

let's look at the talk.. jvr for brown? jvr and bob for brown and bernier? first of all... either of those deals would have to be considered good ones for the flyers. so good, that i really doubt LA would be interested in either.

brown is a fair amount cheaper($1.5m/yr cap hit cheaper) and signed for 4 years less than jvr. he's only 5 years older than jvr. so it's not like he's on any type of decline. in fact, Brown hasn't missed a game in very near 3 years. we can't say the same for jvr at his tender age. brown plays a much more aggressive game than jvr as well. i'm not even going to entertain the conjecture that he starts Sh!t and then shirks responsibility.. this is an adult discussion we're trying to have here.

after 7 years in LA, anyone's +/- will take a hit.. until recent years.. and brown has been decent in recent years(+17 last year, +6 this year) jvr was +15 last year and even this year. brown's points are down. projected to be only about 42 points. he's not having the best year, but he's also not a slouch at a $3.175m cap hit. jvr is projected to hit about 37 pts in about 20 fewer games.

overall... they're fairly even except in certain areas. brown is a hitter. say what you will about his masculinity in sticking up for himself in after whistle scrums(which is completely ridiculous), but he hits... which has an actual impact on opposing teams defenses. we all know that jvr does not hit. to date... jvr has 34 measly 'hits'. brown has a whopping 215. another intangible is game winning goals. brown has 5 this year thus far to jvr's 1. maybe this is not a big deal to some, but it speaks to a finisher... and a clutch player. i know it's not the be all and end all, but it's something worth noting.

jvr is a gamble... will he reach the heights of his 2011 playoff performance again? will he be able to play consistently.. like ever? for all the talk about brown's inconsistency.. jvr would seem to be so in spades compared to brown. he's young and oft injured. is this a sign of what's to come? contrast this to brown's durability with the amounts of hits he makes. he's been in LA for 7 years now... 7 year itch? i think he's a prime candidate for a change of scenery and he would be a good fit in philly.

now.. on to the goalies... same age, very close deals(bernier $1.25m cap hit through next year, bob $1.75m cap hit through next year). very similar in numbers... too similar, i'm not going to contrast. the only intangible difference is that bernier has played more in north america. who knows...

so, overall goalies are apples for oranges... for all we know right now. i really doubt the flyers go after a goalie, though... it just doesn't make any sense cap hit wise or future wise. and why would either team be interested in a flip? it's possible, but it doesn't seem likely.

but, i think i would roll the dice on a brown for jvr deal. it's not much of a coin flip and it actually clears cap space. i'd expect we'd need to involve a pick, but it could be worth looking into.

Let me repeat the question, what has Bernier actually done to make us think that he's better than Bob? Not what did the Kings organization think he might do? What has he done? I can tell you what he's done statistically, in 44 NHL games he's put up a 2.55 GAA and a .909 save pct. Compared to Bob's 78 games, 2.70, and .911. And they're the same age. I don't see a big difference one way or the other, except that Bob has significantly more game experience. And taking into consideration that Bryz isn't going anywhere barring a miracle, trading one backup for another doesn't seem like a high priority to me.

The only thing I can think of is that Bernier is being blocked from getting time by Quick who is locked in and owning it this season and Bob is being blocked from our mess in the net the Bryzaster. It seems that we are unhappy with what we have going on in net yet Bob can't get time between the pipes to steal the job from Bryz.

i dunno. brown's leadership has a very talented team sitting outside the playoffs at the moment, and LA's management is impressed enough with said leadership to think about trading him.

from everything i've heard of his highly incomplete game, his astoundingly terrible career +/-, his continually questioned work ethic....i really can't see what the upside would be. aside from the hits...but if he is then going to run away when people get in his face, the hits are a little empty, i think.

Me neither. Huge underachiever is what he's known as. Only he's been doing it for years longer than JVR. He does hit, but seems about as interested as JVR. Who the hell made him captain?

The solution is so simple, I can't believe you guys don't see it.

Trade Carle, JVR, and Bryz to LA for Bernier, Brown, and Doughty.

Then, fire Laviolette and hire Marcel Dionne, wherever he is, to coach us.

In a joint proposal to the league, both teams will swap names, so we will henceforth be known as he Philadelphia Kings, and the Los Angeles Flyers.

With Brown's departure, Richards will become captain. It's like we've seen this script before.

After their failed SC run and drunken pictures at the Oscars begin to surface, the LA Flyers will unload the problem kids, we'll pick up the pieces, hire a cake baker, and change our name back to the Flyers.

All will be right within this humongous universe again.

Bernier is a prospect in a sense. And he is a VERY highly touted prospect by those inside & outside the Kings organization.

I guess you could ask some of them why everyone seems to love this guy so much. He's practically untouchable, even though Quick seems to have a death grip on the starting job. Sounds like a pretty good player with a ton of potential.

Meanwhile people here seem to try to equate Bob (whom we HAVE seen play a lot & hasn't done much of anything) with Bernier just because he's "our" guy (which is laughable). See? Two can play that game.

no thanks to dustin brown.

i thought we got rid of him last summer...( i know it wasn't him but players of his ilk)

really, there's not much out there that i would want to trade any of our top 4 young guys away for, & the only way i'd like to see jvr in someone else's sweater is if he is part of a deal that brings back a "set him and forget about him 28 minute a night guy" on defense or a way out of the bryzaster.

i see little value in gutting the team for nash, even up swap for brown, now maybe in bernier for bob, but i like bob and as doom has said he's a similar quantity and he's already on the roster...the problem with the team is the goalie with the big contract isn't playing like he should, swapping an a guy with a tough injury plagued season for an underachieving guy that is older is a lateral move at best.

Living in LA it would kind of funny to see JVR and BOB traded here. The entire Kings roster would be made up of Flyers except for Jarrett Stoll.

But, seriously, the biggest impact deal the Flyers can make right now with the Kings is to trade Craig Berube, for future considerations. The Kings need scoring and Berube is the man to take the reigns and help ignite the power play.

The only thing I can think of is that Bernier is being blocked from getting time by Quick who is locked in and owning it this season and Bob is being blocked from our mess in the net the Bryzaster. It seems that we are unhappy with what we have going on in net yet Bob can't get time between the pipes to steal the job from Bryz.

So why would that be any different with Bernier? Is it realistic to think that the Flyers are going to turn the goaltending over to someone with about a half season's experience when they've just given Bryzgalov the keys to Fort Knox?

Bernier is a prospect in a sense. And he is a VERY highly touted prospect by those inside & outside the Kings organization.

I guess you could ask some of them why everyone seems to love this guy so much. He's practically untouchable, even though Quick seems to have a death grip on the starting job. Sounds like a pretty good player with a ton of potential.

Meanwhile people here seem to try to equate Bob (whom we HAVE seen play a lot & hasn't done much of anything) with Bernier just because he's "our" guy (which is laughable). See? Two can play that game.

So the bottom line is, Bernier hasn't really done anything to make us believe he's better than Bob. His career numbers are no better than Bob's, regardless of their respective pedigrees. In Bob's case we can at least argue that he is still adjusting to the North American game and ice size. And again, there's the little problem of the $51 million dollar man in front of either one of them. Bob or Bernier... honestly it wouldn't matter much to me, but backup goalie is not the team's biggest problem imo.

What if Flyers are ratcheting interest in Brown to take heat off kicking tires on Nash or someone else? I do not see the Flyers having true interest in Brown. I do not doubt they could be looking league wide at a senior leader type to take Prongers place in the locker room.