Another coach is available for the Flyers. Barry Trotz was just fired.

Let's say the hire Trotz. It was suggested, or posed as a question, that Trotz would make the team competitors and remove them from any chance of getting Beddard. And would we rather tank for a high lottery spot, or land a competant coach?

What if the Flyers tried to do both? Suppose they unload Coots, JVR, Atkinson and please, please, please, Laughton, to go with a complete youth movement. I know. I know. This sounds suspiciously like the dreaded "R" word. But lets say they do it. Would Trotz be a good coach to have in this situation?

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Suppose they unload Coots, JVR, Atkinson and please, please, please, Laughton,

Which veterans remain?

Konecny, Provorov, Sanheim, and Farabee, those are the "core players"?

Are there signings of different experienced players?

The team could potentially be EDM East if they were to get Cooley one year and Bedard the next with no real veteran leadership in place,

Those guys get thrown into the league and have to figure it our on their own ala Sidney Crosby and the sucking is prolonged.

I would hang on to Couturier. His contract isn't crippling, he's a very good, almost great player when he's healthy.

I would try to move Hayes instead. 

Moving Laughton would create  a "Laughton sized" hole in the line up and a similar player would need to be signed and that player would likely be more expensive for similar production.

If I'm Barry Trotz I don't think I sign up for a team with little veteran leadership and plans to be bad for another year. I do think Barry Trotz could come into this situation with these players and get them to play defense and challenge for a playoff spot. It would be interesting to see if he could get through to Ristolainen and change his game from heavy blockhead to heavy and steady. 

TL:DR I don't think Trotz signs up for a rebuild. I think he's more interested in winning. He got a raw f'ing from the Isles from where I sit, that team was on the road for a month to start their season and I think had COVID holes in the lineup. I think they pulled the plug on him too early. Unless every player was telling Lou to can his ass in their exit interview, I don't understand the move.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I would hang on to Couturier. His contract isn't crippling, he's a very good, almost great player when he's healthy.

I would try to move Hayes instead. 

This. My plan as well. But with this roster and Trotz I'm afraid they might not be much better than this say maybe draft 10th or 11th in the Bedard draft.

And without Trotz they would still ene duo with like the 2nd pick - see Patrick Kane pick.

It is just the luck they have see Nolan Patrick and JVR.

Maybe we should just wait for the Rangers to get eliminated, which is HIGHLY likely, and hire Gallant. He's probably going to be more "gettable",once he becomes available.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

let me add.....hayes and konecny go too

when you say this, you may as well just use the dreaded "R" word, and to put a fine point on my take after seeing this.

I don't see Trotz signing up for that kind of job at this stage in his career.

He did it once in Nashville, as a younger man with more energy.

Do you think it's best to hire the coach first then try to refresh the roster?

Truly where the Flyers are, I don't even know where I would begin and which path I would take.

I can see trying to remain competitive and ways to do that, I see merit in tearing most of it down also.

I am having a very hard time seeing the current management threading the needle with a great coaching hire and roster makeover to make the boom magic and be back that 2019 feeling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

when you say this, you may as well just use the dreaded "R" word, and to put a fine point on my take after seeing this.

I don't see Trotz signing up for that kind of job at this stage in his career.

He did it once in Nashville, as a younger man with more energy.

Do you think it's best to hire the coach first then try to refresh the roster?

Truly where the Flyers are, I don't even know where I would begin and which path I would take.

I can see trying to remain competitive and ways to do that, I see merit in tearing most of it down also.

I am having a very hard time seeing the current management threading the needle with a great coaching hire and roster makeover to make the boom magic and be back that 2019 feeling.

If the Beddard kid is that good, yeah tank your ass off to get him. My problem is, its still a lottery. So you can blow goats the whole season and still come up with nothing. The cost of that is another contract, performance on ice, year for current roster. The long term implications of that can set you back financially.

Taking Beddard out of the discussion, I think you hire a coach first. One you believe can transform, then lead your team to long, sustained, playoff life, with the hope of a championship. This has only worked one time, some guy name Fred. The Flyer always seem to build the team, then try to find a coach who fits, when the last one gets run out of town. This results in that guy also getting axed, as soon as the "room' decides it was his fault.

The last time the Flyers went out and got a generational, once in a lifetime talent, it was Eric Lindros. And that resulted in a couple of Stanley Cups.....for Colorado

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Those guys get thrown into the league and have to figure it our on their own ala Sidney Crosby and the sucking is prolonged.

Crosby made the playoffs in Y2, lost in the Cup Final Y3, and won in Y4.

I'll take that. :hocky:

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Couturier is a logical choice, and not a bad one.

When I was saying "everyone over 29" he was the 29 I was thinking about keeping...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, CoachX said:

The last time the Flyers went out and got a generational, once in a lifetime talent, it was Eric Lindros. And that resulted in a couple of Stanley Cups.....for Colorado

I'm not going to relitigate the entire era, but I'll just leave this here...

Flyers' Bob Clarke throws shade at Penguins, other NHL tankers - Broad ...

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

Crosby made the playoffs in Y2, lost in the Cup Final Y3, and won in Y4.

Y3 was when Rejean went and got Bill Guerin and I think Cullen to show Crosby how to win.

If we keep Couturier, maybe (I know he hasn't won in PHI) that steady veteran voice is already in house.

That's one less step to take on the road back.

Edit: I also think Jordan Staal came on the scene in year 3 .

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Russ Farwell was the GM at the time of the Lindros deal, not Clarke.

Looking back on that trade ,we were better off not making it. Forsberg was just as good as Lindros. Sure there were differences in their styles but statistically they were pretty on par. Lindros was always hurt, Forsberg won the Cup and Lindros didn’t.  Plus we threw in Hextall,Duschense,  Huffman,Ricci, Simon ,plus 2 first round picks. 

• Like 3

Considering the amount of control that Trotz will probably want, to coach this Mickey Mouse hockey team/organization, I think they should strongly consider Gerard Gallant to be their head coach instead, or at least BEFORE Trotz. He did take an expansion team in Vegas, albeit baptized by Uncle Gary in Lake Bettman, to a Stanley Cup finals appearance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

Looking back on that trade ,we were better off not making it. Forsberg was just as good as Lindros. Sure there were differences in their styles but statistically they were pretty on par. Lindros was always hurt, Forsberg won the Cup and Lindros didn’t.  Plus we threw in Hextall,Duschense,  Huffman,Ricci, Simon ,plus 2 first round picks. 

Nah. If it happened today,  I'm still making that trade. The time spent watching Lindros was one of my favorite times as a Flyer fan

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Sorry.  Just not the case.  Farwell was their GM from June '90 to June '94.  The deal was done at the '92 draft.  Clarke had left Minnesota to return as Senior Vice President during the '92-93 season.  He was not their GM.  Not until he left Florida to take the GM job here in June '94.

No, how the Lindros era ended.

Not gonna get sidetracked on a 25 year old issue.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lindros - 760 NHL games - 865 points

Forsberg - 708 NHL games - 885 points

Had the trade not happened, watching this team with Forsberg + the two first round picks in '93 and '94(I believe the Nordiques too Deadmarsh with the '93 pick if memory serves) + some of those players dealt, would have meant SO MUCH more than what Lindros brought to this franchise in return.

I get it.  The Philly media hype and fanbase sold you on Lindros.  While he was a good player.  He could have been a MUCH, MUCH better player if his coaches taught him to skate with the puck with his head up when he was young, LONG before he ever came close to skating on NHL ice.  Instead, he just wasn't good enough.  The Legion of Doom was fun to watch.  But, knowing what "could have been" if it was Forsberg in and among that roster is a tough thing to realize, being an avid fan.

It was a mistake made by Farwell.  But, that's what Farwell was.  A mistake himself.  Right there along the lines of Fletcher's incompetence.  He took the shiny bait, bit hard on it, and overpaid immensely for that bait.

Who are you directing this post to?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Considering the amount of control that Trotz will probably want, to coach this Mickey Mouse hockey team/organization, I think they should strongly consider Gerard Gallant to be their head coach instead, or at least BEFORE Trotz. He did take an expansion team in Vegas, albeit baptized by Uncle Gary in Lake Bettman, to a Stanley Cup finals appearance.

Right now I would be happy with a soup sandwich over what we have seen for the last 10 years (at least). I personally think Trotz would be a solid choice. He is going to have a young team to work with and be able to shape them to his liking. This is finally going to be a young team with only a few choice veterans. I can’t express just how happy I was to see Yandle hugging everyone goodbye after the final game of the season. I am sick and tired of watching the flyers try and plug and play with a veteran who is so long in the tooth that they have fallen out……

• Like 4

14 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

,plus 2 first round picks. 

One of which became Joe Sackic. 

So yeah, stripping the team for Lindros was a gamble that didn't pay off in the end. 

It was fun to watch him though. Also it felt like, until Scott Stevens turned his brain to mush, the Flyers were going to win with Lindros it was only a matter of when. 

• Like 1