Free Agency

CoachX

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

This may be true. But it's not a good contract...

Again, by himself, he is paid ~half what the Lightning pay their ENTIRE bottom six.

Laughton scored 30 points this year.

The Lightning bottom six? 143.

Laughton - sitting at home

Tampa - Eastern Conference Final

🤔

I hereby vote you President of the Galaxy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

God I hope they sign Johnny Hockey so we can watch these same people complain the team is terrible for the next 7 years and wonder why.

And if they don't? I mean, we've been listening to you complain for the last three years.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

Yep, he could be that kind of guy. But maybe playing in Philly he takes things a little more to heart

of course, players can have down years too...... see Konecny

Sure, cause his BFF Haysee sure does. Right? JVR sure took it to heart. When I see guys who take entire seasons off, then double their point totals in contract years, if that doesn't raise a red flag I don't know what to tell you.

As for Konecny, the difference is, Konecny makes about half of what "ooooh, shiny" is going to get...and he earned it for what he did with the Flyers, not some other team.

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sure, cause his BFF Haysee sure does. Right? JVR sure took it to heart. When I see guys who take entire seasons off, then double their point totals in contract years, if that doesn't raise a red flag I don't know what to tell you.

As for Konecny, the difference is, Konecny makes about half of what "ooooh, shiny" is going to get...and he earned it for what he did with the Flyers, not some other team.

15 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not comparing TK to JG as who is better or more affordable. I'm merely pointing out that players have down years, it doesn't mean they are washed up or over the hill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I don't wonder why.  That's the difference.

Let me see if I have this straight, you complain constantly about everything the Flyers do, and it's ok because you're POV is supported by a team that sucks in almost every area

But if another fan chooses to want the team to do something that isn't in line with your POV, you hope it fails so you can say I told you so?

So it's more important that you are right than the team succeeding. Great POV there. 

• Like 2

I hope the team fails because I think it's the only way to remove the current leadership.  Current leadership doesn't seem too good at succeeding no matter what I think.

Fans that support the team no matter what are part of the problem and keep the current leadership in place.

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I'm not comparing TK to JG as who is better or more affordable. I'm merely pointing out that players have down years, it doesn't mean they are washed up or over the hill

I'm not saying JG is washed up. I'm saying he probably will be before his new contract expires. Like Hayes. And JVR.  And Bryz. And LeCavalier. And Hatcher. And Rathje. And so on...

• Like 1

When I watch sports, I do so from an entertainment value. Specifically, how much does it hold my interest. I do not watch from the  platform of championship or bust. I grew up in the 70s watching all Philly sports, captivated by the payers. As long as my team was fun to watch, I would watch, hoping they might win a championship. If Mike Schmidt had never won a WS, I would not be reflecting back on how the team was a failure and a waste of my time.

The Flyers were always competitive and entertaining. Therefore, as a fan, I was passionate about them. Now, they are unwatchable. I don't care whose fault is was/is. I don't care about the money, or the term. Im not a GM and Im not going to pretend to be one on this forum. I don't want to wait 5 years before tuning back in. I want them to make moves that have some impact. They don't hit, they don't pass, they don't score, and they don't fight. There is no heart, pride or identity. Its a shame. I miss Flyer hockey

Personally Id love the "shiny new toy". Id much rather have that than a box of legos that I might be able to build into race car later on. I want a polarizing coach. I want an elite level player to root for.

I get that I am in the minority here. Many say to do it another way. Youre probably right. But this is how I feel about it, and Im good with that

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, CoachX said:

When I watch sports, I do so from an entertainment value. Specifically, how much does it hold my interest. I do not watch from the  platform of championship or bust. I grew up in the 70s watching all Philly sports, captivated by the payers. As long as my team was fun to watch, I would watch, hoping they might win a championship. If Mike Schmidt had never won a WS, I would not be reflecting back on how the team was a failure and a waste of my time.

The Flyers were always competitive and entertaining. Therefore, as a fan, I was passionate about them. Now, they are unwatchable. I don't care whose fault is was/is. I don't care about the money, or the term. Im not a GM and Im not going to pretend to be one on this forum. I don't want to wait 5 years before tuning back in. I want them to make moves that have some impact. They don't hit, they don't pass, they don't score, and they don't fight. There is no heart, pride or identity. Its a shame. I miss Flyer hockey

Personally Id love the "shiny new toy". Id much rather have that than a box of legos that I might be able to build into race car later on. I want a polarizing coach. I want an elite level player to root for.

I get that I am in the minority here. Many say to do it another way. Youre probably right. But this is how I feel about it, and Im good with that

I many not always agree ....but I totally respect your opinion/POV and for you sticking by your guns.  Thank you.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Same here, especially if you consider throwing sh!t at your TV to be entertainment 

i paid too much for the tv. I throw shidt at the dog, then he eats it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I do not watch from the  platform of championship or bust.

Neither do I!  I want sustained success, i.e. a team that can make the playoffs multiple years in a row with a legit shot to win once or twice in that span.

The Flyers go for "get in and anything can happen" but the teams never get anywhere, don't really have a chance, and this is proved by the fact that the team doesn't sustain any success the next year and doesn't build on what they achieved.  It's all a house of cards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Personally Id love the "shiny new toy". Id much rather have that than a box of legos that I might be able to build into race car later on.

I'd like a shiny new toy, too.

I just don't think any of the toys available are shiny enough 😃

I came into last season hoping to be more entertained than I had been.

Suffice to say, I wasn't.

I have watched this organization* tread water for 10 years. "The Flyer Way" they've always done things Does Not Work in the NHL that THEY INSISTED had to be created.

They did it, and they never adapted.

• Good Post 1

That also frustrates me about people not caring how much players are paid and for how long.  In the pre-salary cap era, sure, it didn’t matter, because the Flyers would just spend their way out of bad contracts by signing someone else.

In the cap era, they can’t do that, so they essentially have to operate like a small market team with less money to spend than other teams that don’t make shortsighted moves.

• Like 2

@SCFlyguy

You can be frustrated all day. Its frustrates me when people get frustrated that others dont see things their way.

This will get turned around. There will be changes. The team will get better. You'll probably still be frustrated

Edited by CoachX

52 minutes ago, CoachX said:

@SCFlyguy

You can be frustrated all day. Its frustrates me when people get frustrated that others dont see things their way.

This will get turned around. There will be changes. The team will get better. You'll probably still be frustrated

I'm frustrated