Free Agency

CoachX

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

I have no idea. And that really wasn't my point

However if this is true, I'm not surprised. Today's players put thier individual success and finances above team needs on a regular basis. 

Definitely true. A lot of mercenaries out there. Hard to find players who give you home town discounts any more or have real team loyalty. Free agency did that. Lost a lot of team rivalries too. Ain't what it used to be for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

Definitely true. A lot of mercenaries out there. Hard to find players who give you home town discounts any more or have real team loyalty. Free agency did that. Lost a lot of team rivalries too. Ain't what it used to be for sure. 

Players are generally more likely to give a hometown discount to a team that drafted and developed them though, than one that outbids themselves for that player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoachX said:

I have no idea. And that really wasn't my point

However if this is true, I'm not surprised. Today's players put thier individual success and finances above team needs on a regular basis. 

And players have earned that right. Let's not forget they free agency was contractually negotiated by both players and owners. And let's be honest. If owners could screw players out of wages, they wouldn't think twice about it. Countless places did it for years and thought nothing of it. I have no qualms with players going to the highest bidders. 

• Like 1

Players know they are what fills the seats. They are the attraction. These players in sports not only in Hockey in my opinion should get paid what they are worth because if you think about it once you get to that top level the percentage of players that can play at that level and can entertain the fans at that level is not that high. If everyone could do it then the salaries would not be that high. Only a small percentage of very talented athletes can play at that high level so they should get paid at a high level. The players know this. 

4 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Certainly easier to be the owner of a sports team than a player.

I have to disagree. You mean players like McDavid, Matthews, Makar, MacKinnon, or Drasaitl when it comes time for them to get a salary raised they don't have the upper hand? If they don't get what they want they just go somewhere else and it the $$$$$$ that they want from another owner that is willing to pay them. 

I'm saying it takes a lot of talent to be a player and make it all the way to the NHL.  The players should absolutely take every last dollar they can get their hands on.

It takes zero talent to become the owner of a professional sports team.  In fact, many of them are inherited.

Once you own one, they only go up in value without doing anything else really.

Nice work if you can get it.

• Like 1

Just now, SCFlyguy said:

I'm saying it takes a lot of talent to be a player and make it all the way to the NHL.  The players should absolutely take every last dollar they can get their hands on.

It takes zero talent to become the owner of a professional sports team.  In fact, many of them are inherited.

Once you own one, they only go up in value without doing anything else really.

Nice work if you can get it.

I agree with that. What it takes to become an owner of a hockey team or any other sports team is tons of money and supposedly some sort of business sense. That is about it. 

I have a lot of friends with business degrees , but not that kind of money. 😉

5 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

And players have earned that right. Let's not forget they free agency was contractually negotiated by both players and owners. And let's be honest. If owners could screw players out of wages, they wouldn't think twice about it. Countless places did it for years and thought nothing of it. I have no qualms with players going to the highest bidders. 

Interesting POV, considering this has not happened to a Flyer player that I can remember

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Yeah, because any idiot can become a billionaire. Im pacing myself. What's your excuse?

12 hours ago, CoachX said:

Interesting POV, considering this has not happened to a Flyer player that I can remember

You're right. It hasn't happened to a Flyers player. But the Flyers have witnessed other franchise grossly underpay players and not say **** about how insulting that is to the fan base, players and integrity of the game. The Flyers didn't say how that negatively affects the league when players are underpaid or how it's a black eye on the sport when ba franchise chooses to low ball players. That makes them complicit. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16

59 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Should have picked richer parents I guess.

Well played! Post of the day for me. Funny schidt🤣

:PostAwardsm:

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

You're right. It hasn't happened to a Flyers player. But the Flyers have witnessed other franchise grossly underpay players and not say **** about how insulting that is to the fan base, players and integrity of the game. The Flyers didn't say how that negatively affects the league when players are underpaid or how it's a black eye on the sport when ba franchise chooses to low ball players. That makes them complicit. 

The primary argument on this forum, or at least one near the top, is how players aren't worth the contract they signed for (specifically pertaining to Flyer players). But you are arguing they should get all they can?

Tell me again why Risto and Hayes deserve all the criticism they get? :PopcornSmiley2:

11 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The Flyers didn't say how that negatively affects the league when players are underpaid or how it's a black eye on the sport when ba franchise chooses to low ball players.

out of curiosity, how does it negatively affect the league, or give it a black eye if/when players are "underpaid"?  as opposed to if/when players are overpaid?  overpaid, you have teams pushed to the cap ceiling without the quality of players to justify it, which results in roster-building paralysis and stagnation and thing like trades designed to do nothing but "move contracts".  underpaid players, on the other hand, allow for far more team building options, and a generally better roster all around.  not to mention retains player mobility, as the contracts aren't a barrier.  i'm not sure i'm seeing the league or sport suffering there, particularly.

also, how do you define "grossly underpaid" in a league with an average salary around $3mil and a minimum salary over $500k?  is it just as they relate to "comparable" players and their salaries?  how do you adjust that "grossly underpaid" concept when factoring in grossly overpaid players ruining the curve?

• Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, aziz said:

out of curiosity, how does it negatively affect the league, or give it a black eye if/when players are "underpaid"?  as opposed to if/when players are overpaid?  overpaid, you have teams pushed to the cap ceiling without the quality of players to justify it, which results in roster-building paralysis and stagnation and thing like trades designed to do nothing but "move contracts".  underpaid players, on the other hand, allow for far more team building options, and a generally better roster all around.  not to mention retains player mobility, as the contracts aren't a barrier.  i'm not sure i'm seeing the league or sport suffering there, particularly.

also, how do you define "grossly underpaid" in a league with an average salary around $3mil and a minimum salary over $500k?  is it just as they relate to "comparable" players and their salaries?  how do you adjust that "grossly underpaid" concept when factoring in grossly overpaid players ruining the curve?

My father you to say, "if you are going to bring logic into this, I won't talk to you."

I suspect you will be hearing crickets :bugcrawlsmiley-1:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, CoachX said:

Yeah, because any idiot can become a billionaire. Im pacing myself. What's your excuse?

Maybe it takes zero talent to become  an owner if you inherited the team, but it takes alot of talent to be a good owner and have a successful team. You have to hire the right staff, make the proper decisions on personnel. You have to know when to put your foot down and know when to leave certain decisions to the staff you hired. Some owners like Jerry Jones are constantly meddling into everything and making decisions on draft picks, thinking they are the GM and guys like that don't ever win anything.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Is Jagr available?

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Jagr is STILL playing in the Czech Republic, however, he won't be available to ANYONE for the next 78 years as he is having himself put into cryo-sleep till the 2100-2101 season so he can be known as the ONLY hockey player whose career spanned 3 different centuries. :ph34r:

• Haha 1