Neimi = Karma

Guest orange_crush

Flyers had a chance to pull the trigger and acquire Neimi for JVR but chickened out. Last night Neimi showed us why he was a Stanley Cup champion.

He's an upgrade over Bob and Breezy imo... JVR's value on this team continues to diminish and is going to be way overpaid..

why take the big gamble of trading Richards and Carter and chicken out at the trade deadline to improve this team?

@orange_crush - Nieme was nothing special last night. SJ is a good team and they played a very strong defensive game. Niemi made the saves that came his way but he didn't have to be great, the Flyers really didn't get a lot of good chances. And according to the Sharks broadcasters, he's been struggling mightily as of late.

Edited by JackStraw

He's an upgrade over Bob and Breezy imo

still going with that lame "breezy" moniker eh?

at this point I'm an "upgrade" over Bryzgalov and so are you. Over Bob? Niemi? eh, I don't think so but it's debatable I'll give you that. Niemi's got the ring and the experience, which also means he's had the support and the demands / expectations of playing his best. Bob has had a rookie year where he was great for 2/3 of it, then not so much. This year he plays once or twice every 2 weeks. Hard to judge what he's got imo.

But I sure wouldn't trade JVR for Niemi. As much as I dislike JVR's game we can do better than Niemi if we ever want to move him.

still going with that lame "breezy" moniker eh?

at this point I'm an "upgrade" over Bryzgalov and so are you. Over Bob? Niemi? eh, I don't think so but it's debatable I'll give you that. Niemi's got the ring and the experience, which also means he's had the support and the demands / expectations of playing his best. Bob has had a rookie year where he was great for 2/3 of it, then not so much. This year he plays once or twice every 2 weeks. Hard to judge what he's got imo.

But I sure wouldn't trade JVR for Niemi. As much as I dislike JVR's game we can do better than Niemi if we ever want to move him.

you think Bob is better than Breezy and Neimi? cmon man

you don't think Bob is better than Bryzgalov? ?????? Seriously?

I guess we'll have to clarify what "better" means to make any sense here. Their numbers are pretty similar but all I know is I cringe - literally - every time a team crosses our blue line when Bryzgalov is in net. I don't do that when Bob is playing. Why? Because Bob actually moves toward the shooter, he squares up quick and he can actually get from one pipe to the other before the glaciers melt.

Bryzgalov moves toward the shooter - like last night - he comes out and challenges them. Great. Last night. And the 40 games before last night? Not so much. Bryzgalov sucks. Bob - doesn't suck. Just my humble...

Two words explain why Niemi is a Cup champion goalie:

Michael Leighton.

This has been another edition of simple answers to simple questions.

JVR for Neimi straight up would have been highway robbery for the Sharks.

I still can't get anyone who was in favor of that deal to explain paying Niemi AND Bryzgalov AND Bobrovsky next season... Even if you deal Bob or AHL him, you're spending $9.5M on goal with Niemi/Bryzgalov.

Usually we start walking down the fantasyland path of "buyouts" and "new CBA" and "if pigs could fly" but that's not how it works. Homer's dealing with reality, not a rose-coloured maybe-if future.

Oh, and Phoenix got swept by Detroit. Must be the goalie's fault for not continuing the vaunted postseason dominance of the Phoenix Coyotes over the perrennial also-ran Detroit Red Wings.

Flyers had a chance to pull the trigger and acquire Neimi for JVR but chickened out. Last night Neimi showed us why he was a Stanley Cup champion.

He's an upgrade over Bob and Breezy imo... JVR's value on this team continues to diminish and is going to be way overpaid..

why take the big gamble of trading Richards and Carter and chicken out at the trade deadline to improve this team?

Niemmi sucks. He just might be the worst Cup-winning goalie in NHL history.

Ever wonder why the Blackhawks didn't keep him?

you don't think Bob is better than Bryzgalov? ?????? Seriously?

I guess we'll have to clarify what "better" means to make any sense here. Their numbers are pretty similar but all I know is I cringe - literally - every time a team crosses our blue line when Bryzgalov is in net. I don't do that when Bob is playing. Why? Because Bob actually moves toward the shooter, he squares up quick and he can actually get from one pipe to the other before the glaciers melt.

Bryzgalov moves toward the shooter - like last night - he comes out and challenges them. Great. Last night. And the 40 games before last night? Not so much. Bryzgalov sucks. Bob - doesn't suck. Just my humble...

Bryz seems to drop down into the butterfly (or whatever you would call what he does) as soon as the puck crosses the blue line. That & he stays way too deep in the net. He basically makes the net as big as possible for the shooters. Makes no sense.

It drives me nuts. It's like Biron is still here.

He needs to play bigger in net & stay on his feet. When he does that, he does well.

I don't know why it's so difficult to correct that.

I just don't understand it. Bryz was more than solid when he was in Anaheim & PHX.

I know that the style of play for both of those teams was more defensive-oriented, but it shouldn't cause him to forget how to play in a fundamentally sound way.

Most of his bad goals (IMO) have little or nothing to do with Lavy's attack-style system.

@AndyS - I'm no expert in goaltending (cue the sheep jokes), but a lot of it is clearly confidence. When goalies lack it they back into the net and make themselves smaller somehow. Bryz has looked downright tiny in there, although from what I saw of last night's game, he was challenging shooters and looking bigger in the net. All we can do is hope.

I just don't understand it. Bryz was more than solid when he was in Anaheim & PHX.

I know that the style of play for both of those teams was more defensive-oriented, but it shouldn't cause him to forget how to play in a fundamentally sound way.

Most of his bad goals (IMO) have little or nothing to do with Lavy's attack-style system.

Exactly. And it isn't the team defense either (though it was bad for a stretch there in early-mid Feb), since the Flyers are still top ten in limiting shots against.

I have a question for all the JVR haters here,according to Homer all the teams that contacted him wanted JVR,he also a few had inquiries about Carle. Why all the interest in JVR? Homer he never considered trading him. Are all the other teams Nuts?

If you're actually serious and not trolling, the answer is....

JvR is a 22 (soon to be 23) year old 6'3" 200+ lb LW with speed, handling skills, and playoff experience. He is really starting to take his career seriously as evidenced by last summer and the training he was putting in, as opposed to the booze/chicks that some other players indulge in. At face value, *any* team in the NHL would be lucky to have him on their roster. As he grows into his body and gets healthy, he has serious potential to be a very very good player. If he develops a little mean streak, even better. The key here already seems to be keeping him healthy unfortunately.

Just because some people think he's Brendl doesn't make him so.

Exactly. And it isn't the team defense either (though it was bad for a stretch there in early-mid Feb), since the Flyers are still top ten in limiting shots against.

There are "shots against" and there are "shots against". The Flyers don't give up a lot of shots, but they give up too many high quality chances, the result of turnovers leading to odd man breaks, and shaky defensive coverage down low (I'm hoping Grossman and Kubina will help with the latter situation). Yesterday's game against SJ was a good example of the opposite, the Flyers out shot the Sharks but the Sharks didn't give the Flyers any really good chances and Niemi didn't really have to be great.

There are "shots against" and there are "shots against". The Flyers don't give up a lot of shots, but they give up too many high quality chances, the result of turnovers leading to odd man breaks, and shaky defensive coverage down low (I'm hoping Grossman and Kubina will help with the latter situation). Yesterday's game against SJ was a good example of the opposite, the Flyers out shot the Sharks but the Sharks didn't give the Flyers any really good chances and Niemi didn't really have to be great.

Very true. Without actually going into each and every game with fine-grain analysis of each shot, that's all I have to work with that is definitive. The Flyers do give up fewer shots against. Some are a little higher quality, but I'm not sold on the idea that the Flyers are unique in this regard at all. In fact, I wouldn't be the slightest surprised if other teams gave up more high-quality chances. When the goalie can't stop a beachball, every opposing opportunity looks like certain doom.

If the Flyers give up higher percentage chances at the same-ish (maybe marginally higher) rate as other teams, they would still give up fewer per game as byproduct of their lower shots against performance.

Bryz seems to drop down into the butterfly (or whatever you would call what he does) as soon as the puck crosses the blue line. That & he stays way too deep in the net. He basically makes the net as big as possible for the shooters. Makes no sense.

overcompensating for being slow

@orange_crush

"He's a cup champion he knows how to win..unlike Bryz who sucks in the playoffs"

I dont really think you can say he knows how to win. He was mostly lucky in that he had a high octane offensive team in front of him the year that they one the cup. Usually if you have a 2.63 gaa and .910 sv pctg in the SC playoffs, you are not going to be putting a ring on your finger. He was abysmal last year in the playoffs 8-9, .896 sv pctg and 3.22 gaa. He is nothing special and frankly Bryz has significantly better lifetime playoff numbers than Neimi. Put Bryz on that hawks team and he has a ring on his finger.

@orange_crush

"He's a cup champion he knows how to win..unlike Bryz who sucks in the playoffs"

I dont really think you can say he knows how to win. He was mostly lucky in that he had a high octane offensive team in front of him the year that they one the cup. Usually if you have a 2.63 gaa and .910 sv pctg in the SC playoffs, you are not going to be putting a ring on your finger. He was abysmal last year in the playoffs 8-9, .896 sv pctg and 3.22 gaa. He is nothing special and frankly Bryz has significantly better lifetime playoff numbers than Neimi. Put Bryz on that hawks team and he has a ring on his finger.

I don't think Neimi gets enough credit, he's a legit goalie... he played well last year for the Sharks also..