Ryan Ellis Injury Thread - Career Ending?

radoran

https://www.mapleleafsinsider.com/31-year-old-veteran-blueliner-may-be-forced-to-retire-144194?fbclid=IwAR1UEqHbog9CQKzcc9ImaYjXe3jwpnswHXSwBq9icsambqiHYLzWVXYPYHI

Early reports suggested that Ellis would be ready for training camp with the Flyers this fall, but according to Flyers writer Anthony SanFilippo, things have not been going well for Ellis. During an appearance on the Stick to Hockey podcast, SanFilippo had this to say about Ellis' progress:

100%, he's not playing. I know he's not gonna be ready for the start of the season. I don't think he's playing at least through the first half of the year, probably not all year, and could be for his career. That's kind of where I was told where it was at.

He will always be remembered as a career 1.25 ppg Flyer.

If this pans out, it seems pretty clear that the organization had no interest in Gaudreau. How that looks depends on your perspective.

Four more seasons after this one on the contract...

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Question is whether this was a pre-existing condition that they knew (or should have known) would get worse over time. 

Hope he just retires sooner rather than later, but no way he does that.  They will play the LTIR charade for years.  Not even sure his contract is tradable unless insurance is covering the salary. 

Good times.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vis said:

Hope he just retires sooner rather than later, but no way he does that.  They will play the LTIR charade for years.  Not even sure his contract is tradable unless insurance is covering the salary. 

$29.3M remaining on that deal. No way he walks.

Also, last three years are lower salary so a buyout (which I don't think is possible with an injured player) isn't a reasonable solution, either.

They didn't "lose much" in the deal, but they are going to have a(nother) LTIR problem for several years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

If this pans out, it seems pretty clear that the organization had no interest in Gaudreau.

And for a good reason too....it is more around the same reason they let Giroux walk....regular season points/production be damned.

Johnny had the same issue as Giroux come the real season the playoffs well he was just another dude. We even seen it this year when Giroux was surrounded by better talent on the Panthers.

He has always do ok vs the Caps but once he faced the team to be measured against well he shrank....1 assist is 4 games.

That is the Giroux i remember....when the chips are down he can't elevate his own game much less others around him.

And this sounds like i am a Giroux hater i am not just calling it like i saw it. And although points wise this was one of Johnny's best playoff performance he lack of wanting to do the right thing away from the puck shown through and showed he isn't the leader many thought he was.

Johnny too wasn't willing to get his nose dirty for his team. And well they would have booed him in Philly for that very soon.

Johnny made a business decision and well would sit well with Philly fans but there are man examples of him doing stuff like this.

Good thing Chuckles handcuffed himself.

:DancingGrape:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

$29.3M remaining on that deal. No way he walks.

Also, last three years are lower salary so a buyout (which I don't think is possible with an injured player) isn't a reasonable solution, either.

They didn't "lose much" in the deal, but they are going to have a(nother) LTIR problem for several years...

That sucks.

The buyout if allowed would suck too I'm sure.

In the more than one thing can be true department the Flyers have had some really crappy luck recently.

It is compounded by the machinations of the GM trying to "fix" things.

I can't fathom how Chuck Fletcher is still employed.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That sucks.

The buyout if allowed would suck too I'm sure.

In the more than one thing can be true department the Flyers have had some really crappy luck recently.

It is compounded by the machinations of the GM trying to "fix" things.

I can't fathom how Chuck Fletcher is still employed.

Buyout is not the way LTIR is the way.

It sucks just means Chuckles will have to have a plan. I know don't laugh.

The other option is to sell off his LTIR to another team in need of getting to the floor or something.

Like was done trading Nathan Horton's deal or Brent Seabrook.

Otherwise Chuck will have to have a plan to be able to take advantage of free agency going forward.

It is sad that it seems Ellis was damaged good before he arrived and I will neve be convinced otherwise without proof.

No way the time he spent in Philly with camp/preseason and then 4 regular season games is what did him in.

The Flyer team Dr's once again failed them when he was given a physical.

Should have been found and negated the trade.

Total bullsh it...

12 hours ago, radoran said:

Honestly, don't think that it's much of a problem from a cap perspective.  But sure screws up their defensive plans.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vis said:

Honestly, don't think that it's much of a problem from a cap perspective.  But sure screws up their defensive plans.

So, right. It doesn't "screw" them from a cap perspective, but it is a card the "always at the cap" team has to be careful in playing.

Clearly Johnny Gaudreau wasn't "that guy" (and rightfully so).

It just seems to me that the organization* fondly remembers the Alexei Zhamnov Era as "that time they almost made it."

If you have enough sow's ears one's just bound to be a silk purse, right?

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, radoran said:

It just seems to me that the organization* fondly remembers the Alexei Zhamnov Era as "that time they almost made it."

If you have enough sow's ears one's just bound to be a silk purse, right?

Don’t be slandering my boy Zhamnov.  I stand by the notion that he was one of the most skilled players they ever had.  Him and Malakhov were beasts that year.  

That said, they’ve felt like they were “thisclose” ever since the Legion of Doom became a thing.  They should have kept building and developing around Lindros.  Team was never complete.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, vis said:

Team was never complete.

Seemed like the Flyers never thought having a solid goalie was a big deal.

Till the year Snider watched Marty B bounce their asses in the playoffs and then insisted they need a stud goalie and well they effed up and thought that guy was Bryz.

Strangest thing about that is how many years did Snider watch Marty steal game after game and take his team to 3 Cups winning 3 before he realized this was a missing piece??

Only to then choose so badly on who that guy was he would sell the ranch for...

:bonkingheadonwall:

Edited by OccamsRazor
#boubonup

1 hour ago, vis said:

Don’t be slandering my boy Zhamnov.  I stand by the notion that he was one of the most skilled players they ever had.  

His ~20 games are legend.

1 hour ago, vis said:

Him and Malakhov were beasts that year.  

It was a great run. Lots of fun actually.

I miss talking about THAT and not "if everyone has a career year they might compete for a bubble playoff spot."

Memories.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Till the year Snider watched Marty B bounce their asses in the playoffs and then insisted they need a stud goalie and well they effed up and thought that guy was Bryz.

Strangest thing about that is how many years did Snider watch Marty steal game after game and take his team to 3 Cups winning 3 before he realized this was a missing piece??

I don't think Snider didn't realize he needed a good goalie, I mean the team won the cup twice because of a great goalie, he knew that, and then Hextall was pretty important, so he must have known it. He must have right? I mean he had to? Didn't he? 

The thing that will of course haunt forever is they had Bobrovsky on the roster and instead of sticking with and developing him they shipped him off to Columbus for a second rounder and a few lower picks (maybe that's why they don't value 2nd round picks any more????). Mind boggles.

and how on earth did they think Bryz, even if he played well, would ever get them past the Bruins when the guy was "afraid of bears"???

So I guess the point is stupid management decisions didn't begin with Fletcher, but maybe it all did start with a guy named Paul. 

5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

I don't think Snider didn't realize he needed a good goalie, I mean the team won the cup twice

That doesn't mean he thought it was paramount to have a top tier goalie.

I started watching around 1991 and they never had a top goalie. They had backup types hammered into the starting roles.

5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Hextall was pretty important

We differ here. I thought he was just ok at best.

Never was overly impressed with him.

I don't care how he use to look in the 80's.

In my opinion besides being a one line team and Brindy the goalies Ron and Snow was a main reason they got swept by the Wings.

And the best goalie they got till Steve Mason was a Lunatic but stopped the puck and imploded in the playoffs.

They had maybe a good one in Bob but they ran him off for Bryz and we know how that ended up.

Fast forward till now they have a young stud they are ruining because they don't know how to even groom a great goalie.

So yeah they underestimated how important a goalie can be till Marty bitch slapped them in my mind.

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think it was Snider who thought you didn't need an elite goalie to win the cup it was Bobby Clarke who Snider thought of as a son and always took him at his word. Clarke probably thought he was more responsible for the Flyers winning the two cups in the seventies and not Bernie Parent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lindbergh31 said:

I don't think it was Snider who thought you didn't need an elite goalie to win the cup it was Bobby Clarke who Snider thought of as a son and always took him at his word. Clarke probably thought he was more responsible for the Flyers winning the two cups in the seventies and not Bernie Parent!

Either way it took them getting ousted by Marty Brouduer before he got mad enought to insist the Holmgren go out and find a top notch goalie.

To me tells me he was satisfied with the crap they ran out to the crease every year since I have been following them.

Otherwise he should have been livid over the 1997 Stanely Cup run because that goaltending left a lot to be desired.

Especially after looking around at the names other teams had in their nets.

So now they have a kid with very good potential I just would love to see them do the best they can to help him reach that potential and not ruining him.

And that means building from the net out.

And guys like Risto and TD are not going to help cut down on shots sent towards the kids.

So as soon as Chuck is gone then Hart may have a chance.

Otherwise they are going to ruin him...

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Either way it took them getting ousted by Marty Brouduer before he got mad enought to insist the Holmgren go out and find a top notch goalie.

I think your timeline is off here.  The last time the Flyers lost to Martin Brodeur in the playoffs, Bryzgalov was already on the team.

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

The thing that will of course haunt forever is they had Bobrovsky on the roster and instead of sticking with and developing him they shipped him off to Columbus for a second rounder and a few lower picks (maybe that's why they don't value 2nd round picks any more????). Mind boggles.

and how on earth did they think Bryz, even if he played well, would ever get them past the Bruins when the guy was "afraid of bears"???

Couple of things, at the time Bobs was thought to need some more developing- but then Laviolette ,who's blind spot has always been in goal, was forced to play him in more games than anyone wanted. Then, Bobrovsky's contract could no longer slide. He would have absolutely been claimed off waivers the next season and the team didn't feel comfortable turning even the backup role over to him.

The season where he played too many games happened to be the best regular season the Richards era saw, so it was thought the Flyers were contenders. That was some complicated collective bargaining ******** going on that a lot of dummies ****ed up.  And after all that- you're right. They had a guy and chased the wrong guy (we didn't know about the bear thing yet) and the circle of the drain began. I think they're still paying Bryzgalov to not play for them.

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think they're still paying Bryzgalov to not play for them.

Just slightly less than Nic Deslauriers ($1,642,857) for a year longer (through 26-27)...

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

That was some complicated collective bargaining ******** going on that a lot of dummies ****ed up.

Remember, the whole thing is about fiscal responsibility and the only people who can stop the owners from offering ridiculously bad contracts to players are the players who accept them.

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

I think your timeline is off here.  The last time the Flyers lost to Martin Brodeur in the playoffs, Bryzgalov was already on the team.

Ok I got it mixed up with getting swept by Timmy T. and the Broons with Boucher and Bob which lead to the signing of stud Brzygalov the year before and then Marty bounced them a decade ago.

And they are still paying Bryz.

So it was Tim not Marty him killed them one last time that was the Jagr team.

Oh what fond memories.

So IIRC that same sweep to the Broons was the last year Mike Richards played for them because I had bought his jersey with the C on it before the start of the year.

I guess I jinxed him.

:beer:

59 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The great white bear known as Bryz says hello.  We are still paying for that mistake. (SMH) 

EDIT:  Just saw you made mention about still paying Bryz ...... oops :) 

image.png.06c6f399294e868073445601c142c27c.png

Edited by pilldoc

29 minutes ago, radoran said:
34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think they're still paying Bryzgalov to not play for them.

Just slightly less than Nic Deslauriers ($1,642,857) for a year longer (through 26-27)...

that in itself is just mindboggling ......  :dizzysmiley-1:

No Way Wow GIF by Apple Music

• Uggh... 1