Ryan Ellis Injury Thread - Career Ending?

radoran

I don't think this shocks anyone...

...glad they only got Nolan Patrick and Phil Myers for damaged goods.

No way anyone can convince me this guy wasn't hurt before they even traded for him the Flyer's doctors just missed big time.

So he will never play again it seems.

• Like 3

As per the chucktard, Ellis is done for the season. He has become the new posterboy for chucks career. The very fact that this buffoon still is employed as a GM in the NHL speaks more to the total incompetence of Flyer ownership and upper management than it says about the chucktard himself. My dog, who is old and deaf could out manage him. When, oh when is reality going to set in at the WFC? How freaking bad does it have to get, because it really can't be any worse. WTFU Homer.

• Like 1

• radoran changed the title to Ryan Ellis Injury Thread - Career Ending?

@OccamsRazor @flyer4ever

Was listening to Chris Therrien the other day and he was saying, the consensus around the league is that Poile traded damaged goods and several people knew at the time that Ellis was broken.

It's not like the Flyers parted with much value, a dumb kid and a kid with debilitaing neuro symptoms. 

Was it a I'll give you my broken parts for yours deal? 

Seems like gross mismanagement and stupidity, to then build the defense around the broke hip guy.

I wanted to give Fletcher the benefit of the doubt but the more I learn the less he deserves. 

And like you guys, I wonder how he still has a job. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Giving up two young guys on low salary, low term deals for an old guy with a high value, long term deal that you knew had injury issues would, in fact, be peak Fletcher.

I like how Therien is on the dgaf portion of his Flyers commentary. He's probably right, that there was some sort of injury people knew about. I'm more inclined to think that the Flyers thought it was worth the risk and c/would be a few seasons at least before it debilitated him.

They needed last year to work. They went all in and wound up with one of the worst seasons on record.

And then they said "wait - we'll get it right this time"

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This would be an even dumber deal than thinking Ellis could still play: neither Myers nor Patrick made much money and both could have been sent down or just not resigned and you would have them off your cap.  Ellis will be an LTIR anchor on the cap for five more years.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2022 at 9:43 AM, mojo1917 said:

at the time Bobs was thought to need some more developing- but then Laviolette ,who's blind spot has always been in goal, was forced to play him in more games than anyone wanted.

I don't know what you mean by Laviolette "was forced to play him..." The Flyers had Boucher and Leighton during Bob's rookie year and then the cosmonaut his 2nd year. And as far as "at the time Bob ... more developing" I know some people thought that was the case. I'm not disagreeing with you, but the folks who thought that either didn't know, or chose not to consider how badly Laviolette was handling his goalies that year, especially Bob but also Boucher.

Laviolette played Bob past his waiver exemption and in the process flat out ruined his game. That's what happened. 52 starts his rookie year, a Russian kid, no English, new to the NHL, playing the toughest position on the ice for a HC who rode him all year as if he was a 10-year HOFer. Maybe casual fans thought Bob wasn't ready but watching the games every night you couldn't miss seeing the toll Laviolette's mismanagement was taking on him (and the Flyers).

His 2nd year for Laviolette ws even worse with Bryzgalov doing everything he could to sabotage the kid (remember the clip of Bob skating over to Bryzgalov during a TO and Bryzgalov yawning in Bob's face?).

So Bob goes on to win the Vezina the very next year with the Jackets. The Flyers weren't that blind to his talent. That was all Laviolette's doing. He single-handedly ruined the Flyers' best (and only) young goalie since Pelle, which, once done made a trade the only option.

//rant & ramble

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

single-handedly

I'll bicker with this a bit. laviolette's charge was to not only make the playoff but go deep and truly compete for the Cup.

In terms of the goalies he had - and the GM could have decided to move Bob - Laviolette played the guy he thought gave then the best chance of doing what he was expected to deliver.

For me this is more indicative of an overall problem with the organization simultaneously overvaluing young talent and then giving up on them too early because they didn't live up to the immediate expectations.

They misplayed Bob - no question.

But it wasn't the first and won't be the last time they've mishandled a promising player unless they change the overall Phillyosophy that defines the franchise's moribund state.

Fair enough. GMs don't make trades by themselves; it takes some consensus. But Laviolette forced  Holmgren's hand that's what I meant. I think "single-handedly" is appropriate in this case. ...

... unless there was more going on behind the scenes than was ever revealed. I don't recall hearing anything like that - either then or since - but it might've been the case.

Still, we know that handling goaltenders was not exactly Laviolette's forté.

8 hours ago, radoran said:

But it wasn't the first and won't be the last time they've mishandled a promising player unless they change the overall Phillyosophy that defines the franchise's moribund state.

You've been following the team awhile...what do you think the chances this happens? Ha! It's almost a rhetorical question isn't it?

I hate to say it but at this point it seems nothing will change until Clarke, Holmgren and maybe Flahr and a few others die off. I don't wish it on them but I do wish they'd get the hell out of the way for some new blood. Maybe Briere has a plan...he can't do much worse that the "good ol' boys" have done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Briere was a selfish player, prone to taking stupid penalties in the offensive zone.  That doesn't strike me as a person with the intelligence and self-awareness to be a good executive.

And he's an Flyer. Thats the only prerequisite needed for a front office job. The fact he was groomed by the same people we complain about daily ices the cake