Torts Interview - I'm sure someone will take issue

CoachX

Torts was being interviewed and they asked about "the room". He said he has "major issues" with it and that there needs to be accountability and standards that start there, before they take the ice.

Personally I say, HELL YEAH! Its about time. Its what many of us have been speculating about for years

Let the criticisms commence :poke:

• Like 1

Greetings:

I think this is clever.  He is using mass media to deliver a collective message to the squad.  The dude means business.  How it translates into performance is tough to say.  But you can't argue that a team sport requires collective commitment.  If the commitment isn't there, the team loses.  

• Like 2

What I took away from the interview was this: yes, the locker room is fractured and everyone knew. But nobody did anything. Instead, it was double down on the talent in place and hope it works itself out. Everyone knew things were bad and nobody did anything to fix it. 

Tortorella didn't just put players on notice. He put everyone in the organization on notice. This season is going to be cringe worthy on all levels. We're going to witness some real ugliness trying to fix this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Torts was being interviewed and they asked about "the room". He said he has "major issues" with it and that there needs to be accountability and standards that start there, before they take the ice.

Personally I say, HELL YEAH! Its about time. Its what many of us have been speculating about for years

Let the criticisms commence :poke:

Do you have a link for this particular interview?

Even though I am not a Flyers fan, I am a Tortorella fan (and have been for years, for better or worse), and am really interested in what the most up-to-date "state of the team" views he has.
Only ones so far I've been able to find online are the earlier, pre draft ones, and there was one from July as well, but I take it the one you are talking about is much more recent or even today's?

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Do you have a link for this particular interview?

Even though I am not a Flyers fan, I am a Tortorella fan (and have been for years, for better or worse), and am really interested in what the most up-to-date "state of the team" views he has.
Only ones so far I've been able to find online are the earlier, pre draft ones, and there was one from July as well, but I take it the one you are talking about is much more recent or even today's?

Look on CTV Sportsnet or The Score.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2416257

Posted the link anyways. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Look on CTV Sportsnet or The Score.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2416257

Posted the link anyways. 

Thank you.

So far, sounds like a bunch of standard stuff from him when he goes about taking over a project team.... but he ISN'T wrong about the culture change.

Whether he can exact that, of course, will remain to be seen, but I've been saying for many years that every team needs to have an 'identity' of sorts in order to galvanize everyone and get everyone on the same page, and Torts is all about doing exactly that.

Big "if"...but IF the front office lets him be the guy they hired, I think some big improvements will come.
I know, I know....'those at the top need to be cleared out', or so goes the mantra amongst the fanbase here..... but right now, that doesn't look like the case, so all fans can hope for is that Torts is his usual stubborn self about doing it his way or no way and force the front office to either fire him or get out of his way.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Thank you.

So far, sounds like a bunch of standard stuff from him when he goes about taking over a project team.... but he ISN'T wrong about the culture change.

Whether he can exact that, of course, will remain to be seen, but I've been saying for many years that every team needs to have an 'identity' of sorts in order to galvanize everyone and get everyone on the same page, and Torts is all about doing exactly that.

Big "if"...but IF the front office lets him be the guy they hired, I think some big improvements will come.
I know, I know....'those at the top need to be cleared out', or so goes the mantra amongst the fanbase here..... but right now, that doesn't look like the case, so all fans can hope for is that Torts is his usual stubborn self about doing it his way or no way and force the front office to either fire him or get out of his way.

I think Tortorella threw management under a bus in that interview. We all knew what his take on the locker room was. However, Tortorella talked about staff and management knowing that it was dysfunctional - and nobody did anything to fix it. I think Tortorella threw down the proverbial gauntlet and the fact that he named Fletcher specifically is what stood out to me. He's setting Chuck up to get fired. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's setting Chuck up to get fired. 

Honestly, Chuck has done that himself. If Chuck hasn't succeeded in this, I'm not sure an Torts will.  But I can say for the first time in my life that I'm cheering for Torts.

The problem is Chuck isn't THE problem.  The problem is Comcast and the cancerous senior advisors.

• Like 2

Sounds like CF brought his locker room dysfunction show to Philly. Like the last several seasons at MN, everyone knew the team was being run by the Wonder Twins and the rest of the Country Club, but no one higher up was willing to check them. 

• Like 3

Well I think there's no question Torts will be at odds with some players (and perhaps with others in the organization as well) and it'll come down to how much power those people have and who will listen to whom. If this was a younger team I'd have little doubt he could whip that room into shape, but not sure how some of these dead weight veterans will respond. If they don't respond to Torts will the organization finally see the light and ship them all out of town or will they just fire Torts? Hard to say. 

I think this will be a deconstruction year (along with a tank for the draft) and the rebuild in the Torts blueprint will begin after that deconstruction. But who knows. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well I think there's no question Torts will be at odds with some players (and perhaps with others in the organization as well) and it'll come down to how much power those people have and who will listen to whom.

Well i for one am in House Tortorella's corner in this battle...

...there will be blood.

House Fletcher must fall...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

8 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well I think there's no question Torts will be at odds with some players (and perhaps with others in the organization as well) and it'll come down to how much power those people have and who will listen to whom. If this was a younger team I'd have little doubt he could whip that room into shape, but not sure how some of these dead weight veterans will respond. If they don't respond to Torts will the organization finally see the light and ship them all out of town or will they just fire Torts? Hard to say. 

I think this will be a deconstruction year (along with a tank for the draft) and the rebuild in the Torts blueprint will begin after that deconstruction. But who knows. 

None of it matters.

It's the organization (its ownership and senile leadership) that need to be shipped out of town.  Of course Fletcher and Torts need to go, as do some of the players -- but this is drapery on the Titanic until and unless the more more intrinsic purge/shipment happens.

Edited by ruxpin

This leadership group has NEVER been successful.

They accidentally stumbled into the 2010 Finals. Which, of course, logically brought them to dismantling that team. 

Outside of that, it's been unmitigated bumble****ery regardless of players, coaches, and GMs.

Yet we STILL have lemmings saying "trade/buyout so and so," "fire the GM/coach du jour" as if somehow this time it will make the slightest bit of difference.  It's astounding to me.  Such people must drive down the same street every day fully surprised and amazed that it took them to the same place it did the day before despite the fact there were different kids on the neighboring playground.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

None of it matters.

It's the organization (its ownership and senile leadership) that need to be shipped out of town.  Of course Fletcher and Torts need to go, as do some of the players -- but this is drapery on the Titanic until and unless the more more intrinsic purge/shipment happens.

Well I have skepticism and cynicism too, but I have to hope for something. In this case my hope is they hired Torts because they realize the team has lost it's way and they believe Torts knows up from down so to speak and they will listen to what he says. When he tells them "this guy has to go" they will make that move. 

If Fletcher and the upper echelon is as dumb and clueless as people like us believe, they might just be willing to go "sounds good to me" for everything he says. 

One can hope. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Well I have skepticism and cynicism too, but I have to hope for something. In this case my hope is they hired Torts because they realize the team has lost it's way and they believe Torts knows up from down so to speak and they will listen to what he says. When he tells them "this guy has to go" they will make that move. 

If Fletcher and the upper echelon is as dumb and clueless as people like us believe, they might just be willing to go "sounds good to me" for everything he says. 

One can hope. 

By all means, have hope.

I have hope my can opener will win American Idol.

I'm definitely a skeptic and a cynic, but this isn't an example of that. This is simple realism based on demonstrable facts, track record, and evidence.

Torts is not the guy to do what you suggest and never has been.  We have already fired better.

As the Titanic is breaking in two, when someone reacts with the silliness of, "you know, this ship may not make it.  Let's put a repeatedly failed narcissist in charge of the boiler room.  That oughtta do it. I have hope," it's not skepticism to say, "ain't gonna work."

It's not. You don't fix an organization that is rotten from ownership down with a blowhard coach who's done exactly nothing for 18 years.   Like I've said, we've had better in that position. The ownership and organization sandbagged them, blamed them, and fired them.

Firing Fletcher -- while parade-worthy -- will change nothing other than the pictures on the desk and the flavor of the kcups in the GM office

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

By all means, have hope.

I'm definitely a skeptic and a cynic, but this isn't an example of that. This is simple realism based on demonstrable facts, track record, and evidence.

Torts is not the guy to do what you suggest and never has been.  We have already fired better.

As the Titanic is breaking in two, when someone reacts with the silliness of, "you know, this ship may not make it.  Let's put a repeatedly failed narcissist in charge of the boiler room.  That oughtta do it. I have hope," it's not skepticism to say, "ain't gonna work."

It's not. You don't fix an organization that is rotten from ownership down with a blowhard coach who's done exactly nothing for 18 years.   Like I've said, we've had better in that position. The ownership and organization sandbagged them, blamed them, and fired them.

Firing Fletcher -- while parade-worthy -- will change nothing other than the pictures on the desk and the flavor of the kcups in the GM office

if the rumors were true that fletch didnt want torts and the ownership overruled him and the lack of moves from fletch really tells you that fletch is probably going to be on his way out, even from the press he looked defeated. the only reason he was kept here, probably because they thought he was willing to turn this team around and work with any coach and i guess they were wrong, that's probably why they hired briere in case fletch started going over his head like he did with the wild.

im sure briere had his hand in this torts hire because he played for alot of hard nosed coaches and he's the type that demands accountability especially when he played here as player. does it suck we didnt get johnny g? yes but getting him isnt going to fix the problem especially if the culture in this locker room is really bad, which that has to be fixed more than spending money on players that wont fix it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Torts is not the guy to do what you suggest and never has been

Right! Guy has never accomplished a thing. They should fire him right now, he's never had any value :ouch:

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

We have already fired better.

Well not really the last Cup winning coach they had was Lavy....Torts has a Cup.

Last ones *checks notes* have no Cups - unless you want to count Berube's after he was fired.

Unless you have a different idea of "better"...just saying.

Torts is going to be the man who helps blow this thing up i feel....until i don't feel that way. 

5 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

im sure briere had his hand in this

Unfortunately,  Briere's hands have thumbs. They are prolly already halfway inserted in his ass, which he most likely cannot find with both those hands and a mirror

On 9/10/2022 at 12:04 AM, GrittyForever said:

but not sure how some of these dead weight veterans will respond.

Pretty sure JVR will be responding from some other lockerroom,  so we won't hear whatever dumbass response comes out of his lopsided face

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

Right! Guy has never accomplished a thing. They should fire him right now, he's never had any value :ouch:

They should never have hired him.   He had done exactly nothing but be a blowhard schmuck for 18 years. He had a competitive team in NY with a world class goalie.  Yave disagrees with me about Columbus and he lives closer, but the number of players there that actually regressed under him there is astounding. Yeah, we need more of THAT in Philly.  I don't need to wait to see what we've already seen for 18 years.  Sorry, but unless it's a Hollywood movie, no one is changing their spots like that (and I despise the movies that pretend people can).

And I was given this "he hasn't even been here for (x amount of time) and you want to fire him already" crap when we hired Flucker and I was railing against him based on readily available and easily assessed track record and evidence. How'd that turn out?

We can pretend all we want and deny reality all we want, but that has never helped anyone in the long run.  Terrible hire that's destined for painful failure.

Not that it matters because he could actually be good but we'd still have the ownership and management here to kill the whole thing.

I swear Clarke secretly wants to remain the only flyer captain to raise the Cup.  The idea this is all deliberate is so much easier to comprehend.

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well not really the last Cup winning coach they had was Lavy....Torts has a Cup.

Last ones *checks notes* have no Cups - unless you want to count Berube's after he was fired.

Unless you have a different idea of "better"...just saying.

Torts is going to be the man who helps blow this thing up i feel....until i don't feel that way. 

18 years OR.  I'm sorry but he couldn't get it done in NY (with a decent team and a world class goalie).  Yes, our definition of "better" is clearly different.

Lavy was better. We fired him.

Hitch was better.

Vigneault was better more recently than Torts.

Torts is a circus act.  I know it's been so long since we've been entertained, some are like "doesn't matter that we'll suck; I want to be entertained."

That doesn't even work for me because I don't find him entertaining. I find him to be an obnoxious loser fraud. The only thing missing is a red hat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ruxpin said:

By all means, have hope.

So what are you gonna do? Just bitch and whine all season? Why even watch then? Why be on this website? 

There's a limit to cynicism. At a certain point it damages you. Perhaps you should consider a vacation or another team for this year. 

I prefer to have (a shred) of hope, when it fails, then bitch and whine for a while and then maybe hope again. Maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1