Torts Interview - I'm sure someone will take issue

CoachX

20 minutes ago, aziz said:

the idea that hockey players who were really good players 40+ years ago continue to have influence on the current team's make up and disposition that has to be the issue.  it just HAS to be the issue.

We are one with the Force. The Force is with us.

20 minutes ago, aziz said:

if they are different, tell me, i literally haven't watched a game of hockey in 6 years

As you know, you haven't missed much. I have watched some international competition and other NHL competition because I do like the game. I will likely watch some/most of an/a few early season game/s to get a feel for the actual product on the ice.

I do not anticipate being surprised, but I am open to the possibility...

My attendance has dropped from partial season ticket holder to "doesn't even want to go if my (person I converted to hockey) wife asks me if we want to go to a Flyers game" and what once was must-see teevee is now "I used to tape Jeopardy!".

I will say that freeing up 82 days a year has been somewhat liberating. As has not being personally invested in 162 baseball games, 82 basketball games, assorted college athletics, and the like.

I still "pay attention" but at a distance.

I give up half of my Sundays to football because of my wife, who adores her Stillers. Although, even after yesterday's "triumph?" against the Bungles, she fears her interest might be waning...

We also just got back from a week on an island in the middle of the Atlantic we wouldn't mind moving to...

They have a team in the Liga Portugal. I could make that work.

🏝️😎

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

13 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

You ask your accountant why Comcast owns an organization like an NHL sports franchise.  If they're any good at their job, they'll tell you the correct answer.  And, to put it as basic as possible so it can be understood, they are one way to show a loss on their books.

Comcast has a market cap of $157 billion. The "market value" $1.2B Flyers are literally .7% of Comcast.

That, my friend, is the definition of "blip."

How much of a "loss" could "The $1.2B (value) Flyers" possibly represent to a $157 billion corporation?

They're not pumping big money into expanding amenities at the Big Bank Building so people don't come to the games and don't buy concessions.

16 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Again, it just doesn't matter how much you want them gone or believe they would "drop them in a heartbeat".  It's simply false hope and not reality.

It's not about "wanting them gone." I don't base my opinions on what I "want" to happen. I base them on reality.

Someone rolls up and gives Comcast an offer they can't refuse, they will drop the Flyers without a second thought. That's what I said.

How do we know this? Simple. It has already happened. And that's with a team in a more popular sport that is currently valued at twice what the Flyers are.

Whether that offer happens for the Flyers is something else entirely and clearly no one is going to pay bonus top dollar for this franchise in the current state that it's in.

So, I'm not saying they "will" get an offer and then they "will" sell the team, I'm saying that if they got such an offer then they would.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

22 hours ago, elmatus said:

can imagine the "locker room" situation is probably even worse now that Giroux is gone

Why? It happened under his watch.  I dont know why everyone wants to give this guy a pass. 

If you remove a cancer, your health usually improves

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Just wondering... which players are gonna ask to be traded when Torts starts cracking down or which players is Torts gonna send packing because he just doesn't like the way they play.

They are one and the same

If Torts weeds out the dead wood, and everyone else buys in, and one or two minor prospects (we have no major prospects) step up, and the players are ready to a man to play team hockey and run through a wall for Torts, this team might just make  the 15th overall pick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Just wondering... which players are gonna ask to be traded when Torts starts cracking down or which players is Torts gonna send packing because he just doesn't like the way they play.

Well, it's almost given Atkinson won't and Couturier is on record saying he's looking forward to Tortorella. I'm just more interested about what has happened in the locker room to create the splinter because that seems to be a common thing in Philadelphia. 

5 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

If Torts weeds out the dead wood, and everyone else buys in, and one or two minor prospects (we have no major prospects) step up, and the players are ready to a man to play team hockey and run through a wall for Torts, this team might just make  the 15th overall pick.

I know you know I know you know we know they know we know, but that scenario is just about the worst thing that could happen.

It would again be an under talented group overachieving and getting a mid-round pick and likely bounced in the first round. That's then seen as a "good sign" and the "definitely a playoff team" then can't maintain that level the next season and...

We've seen this before. It's called the last ten years.

This team doesn't need to "make the playoffs and anything can happen" - they need an actual plan to be competitive in the capped, 2022 hockey world we live in today.

They have, quite frankly, been unable to compete since their ability to engage in financial shenanigans has been significantly curtailed.

And now they're cap-strapped with what is widely regarded as a sub-par roster in one of the most competitive divisions in the League.

I know you know I know you know we know they know we know...

:hocky:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

This is quite a nice dream. Just wondering who you think would drop out for that to even be a remote possibility? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, it's almost given Atkinson won't and Couturier is on record saying he's looking forward to Tortorella. I'm just more interested about what has happened in the locker room to create the splinter because that seems to be a common thing in Philadelphia. 

Yeah those guys aren't quitters, other than JVR, i wonder who else is the problem in the locker room? Konecny?? Either way, I think if there is any type of injury to Provy or Sanheim, we could be as bad as last year. On top of that, Coots and Hayes are coming off the type of injuries that usually take a full season to get back to 100%. So I wouldn't be surprised if they start off real slow or have bad years.  I dont forsee multiple 10 game losing streaks but 7 or 8 is a strong possibility. On a good note ,we are usually one of the most injured teams almost every year ,so we should be in the bottom 5 ... a top 5 pick is more enticing than a slightly better than shat season. 

Sarcasm must be a lost art here.  Probably none of the things I posted are going to happen.

But Torts strikes me as just the sort of suicide bomber that would be willing to blow up a franchise (sr. consultants, GMs, assistant coaches, players, hotdog vendors, etc.) trying to make it happen, so I'm on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Didn't say anything about them being any type of "vanity project".  You ask your accountant why Comcast owns an organization like an NHL sports franchise.  If they're any good at their job, they'll tell you the correct answer.  And, to put it as basic as possible so it can be understood, they are one way to show a loss on their books.

That's where I thought you were meaning.  That's such a good call.  It makes complete sense  (not a lick of sarcasm here; well, none directed at you, anyway).

55 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

Sarcasm must be a lost art here.  Probably none of the things I posted are going to happen.

But Torts strikes me as just the sort of suicide bomber that would be willing to blow up a franchise (sr. consultants, GMs, assistant coaches, players, hotdog vendors, etc.) trying to make it happen, so I'm on board.

Torts will be starring in The Burning Bed  remake.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

That's where I thought you were meaning.  That's such a good call.  It makes complete sense  (not a lick of sarcasm here; well, none directed at you, anyway).

Comcast's operating expenses in 2021 were $95.5B - billion - dollars

The Flyers are, what? $250M?

Estimate for me the possible level of "loss" on the books that is more important than the revenue generated amongst divisions of the company?

Now calculate into the equation of whether their "loss" is an "important" part of the franchise's value to Comcast that "the Flyers" posted their first operating loss in (at least) over a decade due to Coronavirus.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/374813/philadelphia-flyers-operating-income/

Blip.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Comcast's operating expenses in 2021 were $95.5B - billion - dollars

The Flyers are, what? $250M?

Estimate for me the possible level of "loss" on the books that is more important than the revenue generated amongst divisions of the company?

Now calculate into the equation of whether their "loss" is an "important" part of the franchise's value to Comcast that "the Flyers" posted their first operating loss in (at least) over a decade due to Coronavirus.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/374813/philadelphia-flyers-operating-income/

Blip.

The Comcast Spectacor books are separate. . I wouldn't argue the loss is important vs. a profit but it has benefits that doesn't make losing...um...a loss.    there are corporate tax benefits to the loss.  Especially with how they're set up to be their own customer in many instances, the loss is actually a win on the balance sheet   But with decreasing effect over time unless they losses grow larger year over year.  The problem is you start bleeding in other ways, obviously, should that circumstance continue.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

specially with how they're set up to be their own customer in many instances, the loss is actually a win on the balance sheet   

Which has been my point...

And C/S is "separate" but still shows up on Comcast's overall balance sheet...

But Comcast doesn't run the Flyers to be a loss.

The evidence is their operating income over the past 15++ years where they didn't operate at a loss.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Which has been my point...

And C/S is "separate" but still shows up on Comcast's overall balance sheet...

But Comcast doesn't run the Flyers to be a loss.

The evidence is their operating income over the past 15++ years where they didn't operate at a loss.

Yeah, no argument from me there.

10 hours ago, CoachX said:

Why? It happened under his watch.  I dont know why everyone wants to give this guy a pass. 

If you remove a cancer, your health usually improves

You're assuming he was the problem. He was one player, and a da** good one at that. It's not his fault the brass was incapable of building a team beyond him. He may not have been the second coming of Messier, but that doesn't mean his presence was a cancer. There is no single player in the history of the NHL who could have substituted with Giroux and made the roster we've had to watch the last decade into a contender. Well okay, maybe prime Gretzky or something, but I'm pretty sure the Flyers time machine is broken. 

My point though was that Torts is commenting on the state of the room now. I have no idea what it was like before Torts got here, but it stands to reason losing the team's most prolific scorer and longest tenured captain in franchise history is going to have an impact on the locker room. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 4

Giroux's ability/inability to lead the locker room was debated for years. Good player, not so sure on good leader. I don't think there is much of a team bond in there and nobody to really whip them into shape when they drag their collective asses. 

I really don't know who should be captain now. There's no clear choice imo. Torts comment isn't really all that big of a deal. It's kind of a "duh". If he'd said he liked the locker room we'd have a lot more to worry about. 

• Like 2