Torts Interview - I'm sure someone will take issue

CoachX

18 hours ago, radoran said:

This team doesn't need to "make the playoffs and anything can happen" - they need an actual plan to be competitive in the capped, 2022 hockey world we live in today.

The Flyers? Now that’s just crazy-talk. But seriously I’m sure they believe that’s what they’ve been doing all along. And they have had some, a few anyway, surprisingly exciting runs. The key word there of course is “surprisingly.”

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And they have had some, a few anyway, surprisingly exciting runs. The key word there of course is “surprisingly.”

I mean, sure, if you mean 12 years ago.

They've been out of the first round five times since the 04-05 lockout and once in the past 10 years.

They've missed the playoff six times.

For Dave Scott, that's "definitely a playoff team" created "the way we've always done things."

They honestly haven't been "exciting" to watch since Jagr left.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

there are corporate tax benefits to the loss.  Especially with how they're set up to be their own customer in many instances, the loss is actually a win on the balance sheet 

My calculator app says that the portion the Flyers create on the balance sheet for Comcast is 0.0026% of the corporation's total operating expenses.

So if that's a win, it's akin to clipping the hang-nail on the pinky of the severed torso.

So I guess that helps ?

I mean, do that 10s of millions more times and we'll start to see some real tax benefits.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

My calculator app says that the portion the Flyers create on the balance sheet for Comcast is 0.0026% of the corporation's total operating expenses.

So if that's a win, it's akin to clipping the hang-nail on the pinky of the severed torso.

So I guess that helps ?

I mean, do that 10s of millions more times and we'll start to see some real tax benefits.

I obviously don't have access to their tax filings, but I'd be willing to bet it's not the only FEIN operating as a loss.   It doesn't have to be the same ones every year -- and shouldn't be -- but a handful of FEINs with paper losses typically will have a proportionately higher benefit than the actual loss.   This works better for entities whose GL is operating and filing on a cash basis (which I would imagine Comcast is not, but I don't know that), but it can have that effect nonetheless.   You would never want it to be a high amount of loss because the impact of lost revenue overwhelms any potential tax benefit--and loan applications, etc--but a pocket of loss here and there can change the tax filing disproportionately so that moving around paper losses has its benefits.

Comcast obviously is on a much grander scale than what I've dealt with, so I have to imagine the volume we're talking about changes the math some, but that's the general concept anyway.

I don't think anyone sat in a board room saying "let's tank the Flyers so we drop from 3% tax to 2.2%" but a one-off year isn't a panic.   Somewhere, an accountant is telling them, "see, the silver lining is..."   It doesn't make sense for them to want to continue that circumstance, though.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:32 AM, FireDillabaugh said:

They don't care what the other seats look like.  They don't care what the TV ratings are(you can't seriously think that they care what the TV ratings for Flyers games are when they are basking in the success that their ownership of NBC as a whole is currently giving them).  This organization is a loss on the books and a way to further their business relations and network.  Flat out bottom line.  Say whatever you'd like.  But, that's the reality.  And it's why they aren't going anywhere when it comes to the ownership of this franchise.

The Flyers--and Comcast Specator as a whole--have become the "room comp" or "business expense" of their "Business Expense" GL entry on their tax filing.

It's the equivalent of the Las Vegas Hilton's Room Comp.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:06 PM, elmatus said:

My point though was that Torts is commenting on the state of the room now. I have no idea what it was like before Torts got here

Exactly. If I cannot assume Giroux was a bad captain, then absent any corroborative evidence, you cannot assume he was a good one. Fact is, for all the good he did on the ice, it amounted to nothing. He is gone now. I really liked the guy, he was my favorite while he was here. But then again, so was Lindros. Fact is, if the new coach says the room is a mess, I will extend him the benefit of the doubt. I believe he has a direction, and Im hopeful he can deliver.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

So I guess that helps ?

its too early in the morning for that kind of reasoning. My brain doesn't engage until sometime after 12....if at all

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The Flyers--and Comcast Specator as a whole--have become the "room comp" or "business expense" of their "Business Expense" GL entry on their tax filing.

Sad but seemingly true.

Something I heard recently was the Flyers are on their way to become the 5th most popular team in the city. 

Don't look now but the Union is top of the table MLS team, they have a great junior club development program. Players from the Union development pgm are playing in the world's best leagues and recently the Union was ranked in the top 100 club teams in the world themselves.

They win, They play in a beautiful stadium, great looking kits, the social media team is pretty savvy, the whole Union experience is pretty fun right now. 

I've been on board since Brendan Aaronson made the team. Fun story- I covered the travel soccer national championship tournament for a few years and saw him play on a stacked squad where he wasn't even the best player on the team.

Anyway, #DOOP is fun. The Flyers are not, all the people who remember the greatness of the Flyers are olds now, truly if the organization doesn't start doing somethings right, they could lose 2 generations of fans. The team would be replaced by soccer....soccer. 

oh well, have a good one, Fire all the things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The Flyers are not, all the people who remember the greatness of the Flyers are olds now, truly if the organization doesn't start doing somethings right, they could lose 2 generations of fans.

I'm not sure this hasn't already happened. The team has been completely irrelevant - irrelevant - for 10 years.

There's a solid "hockey playing" group in the area, but in terms of being meaningful to the general population, they're just not.

There is a guy in my neighborhood who has a ridiculously tricked out Flyers themed truck. License plate: HEXY1.

Well, he still has the plate, but it's on a run of the mill aquamarine pickup truck now.

Having "a bad team" is one thing. The Sixers had bad teams. But they were never irrelevant. People talked about "the process."

"Nobody" is talking about the Flyers.*

* he said as he talked about them on a hockey forum...

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2