Tortorella says he will ‘play the kids’

pilldoc

1 hour ago, SCFlyguy said:

Lol, guess Torts isn’t playing the kids.

Can't say for sure till I see the opening night roster.

My thinking is they want York and Attard to start in the AHL as the top pair before coming back up to the NHL which I guess isn't a bad thing.

• Like 1

I had been reading good things about Ollie Lysksell, I'm a little surprised he got cut. In most of the short amount of time I watched, he looked pretty shifty to me and seemed to find some space in the offensive zone. 

York sucked in all the games, and was scorched for a shortie after being told he needed to step up. So as the Meltzer said on twitter, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

Attard fighting a fighter may have prolonged his look with the NHL team, but in terms of standing out he did- both good and bad. 

York was invisible. 

Also, maybe some of these young guys play higher in the line-up and for more minutes in LHV and they get better. I have hope that Gator can get some of these guys going in the right direction and maybe realize their potential. It would be nice for one of these guys to reach or exceed their ceiling.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Attard fighting a fighter may have prolonged his look with the NHL team,

Trots flat out said he couldn't cut him today after that.

Said they say York down told him what was happening and why. That he was "quiet" but understood.

From what I cleaned from Meltzer's Twitter feed.

Some guys need to develop their games by playing important minutes. Other guys are suited to getting 7-9 in the bottom 6...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I had been reading good things about Ollie Lysksell, I'm a little surprised he got cut. In most of the short amount of time I watched, he looked pretty shifty to me and seemed to find some space in the offensive zone.

Yes he had been scoring in all the games can't remember if he scored in the preseason.

I think he may need some seasoning in the AHL to learn how to maneuver better on the smaller to position himself some.

Even a little stronger wouldn't hurt but he has impressive quickness and a shot. 

10 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

York sucked in all the games, and was scorched for a shortie after being told he needed to step up.

I read Charlie saying that so i am good sending him a message he needs to be better.

Accountability should be paramount. From Hayes to the skater sharpening guy.

I like Cam York but in preseason, especially the last game he looked like a shell of his former self. Last year he was pretty reliable defensively. He joined the rush, created some space, did a lot of good things. We saw none of that this preseason. I'm sure the final straw was Cizikas' shorty. He plowed through York like he wasn't even there. Grosenick looked pretty terrible too on that goal.

• Like 1

I cannot imagine being upset or surprised by this team and organization at this point.  They've shown you who they are for ten plus years now and show no sign of changing.

The only silver lining might be that they are SO incompetent that they eventually luck into a generational player.  We'll see if they can actually build a team around such a player, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:
On 9/26/2022 at 2:44 AM, GrittyForever said:

Rubbish. You're not listening. Torts doesn't care how long a guy's been here, what he did or didn't do in the past or how big his contract is. He is going to put the best guys he has out on the ice and anybody who doesn't give him effort will sit soon thereafter.

Like my original response to this gullible rubbish, I'm listening just fine, and calling the BS exactly what it is.  BS.

It's embarrassing, ain't it?  I mean, if it looks like s##t, smells like ####, and steams ####, of course it must be delicious.     

Or something

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ruxpin said:

It's embarrassing, ain't it?  I mean, if it looks like s##t, smells like ####, and steams ####, of course it must be delicious.     

Or something

Your point is what though? 

Why on earth does anybody here think Torts would play nice with management or do what he's told or not sit crap players to appease somebody? He's John Freakin' Tortorella and his retirement is paid for with a 16 million dollar contract. He isn't going to play "nice" with anyone unless he wants to for his own reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 2

12 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Tortorella isn't making any decisions here.  The strings are all being pulled by Fletcher now with his new titles added to his GM title, setting Tortorella up to be the scapegoat when the $h!t hits the fan.  And, it won't take long for that to happen.  All while the propaganda masters continue to hand out the scripts full of the lies.

You pulled this straight out of yer butt. You can think Torts is a bad coach if you want, that's your right, but if you think he's going to be a yes man for anybody you're smoking crack. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

21 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Nothing at all pulled out of my butt.  And, if you truly believe that Tortorella has had any say at all in the moves that have been recently made, and that Fletcher isn't the one calling the shots now within this organization, the only one with a crackpipe in their hands is you, my friend.

Obviously not and nowhere did I say he had. 

The issue is who will he sit as the season goes on and who will he tell them needs to go. The current roster is all Fletcher's, but the roster we have next year won't be. 

• Like 1

I can't imagine Fletch surviving the year as GM. He may linger in the org in some other capacity, because the Flyers are seemingly averse to truly cutting ties with people despite failures, but he won't be GM anymore after this year. Ideally, he shouldn't be anywhere near the decision making table, but something tells me we're not done with him completely for a while yet.

As far as Torts goes, I'm sure he'll do his best to push the team to play harder. Like others here, I don't think that's going to amount to any huge improvement overall though. That's not Torts' fault necessarily, he just doesn't have the pieces needed to really win many games. If anything, we just lost the only guy who could consistently put up points every year. There's every reason to believe this team will be easier to beat now than they already were just on that basis alone. 

Torts may shore up the team defense by instituting better defensive play. I could see that. I could see this team overall just being harder to score against. Unfortunately, that type of attrition play is poorly suited to today's firebrand NHL. We don't have players who can outplay the opposition offensively, which makes it largely impossible to win games nowadays. Gone are the days of teams winning on the backs of 1-0 or 2-1 games. The best teams around are scoring 4+ goals a game. We're nowhere near that, and Torts isn't going to make us into that.

Is Torts a scapegoat? I dunno. I doubt it. I think he's just a coach who happened to be available and who has a reputation for being hardnosed and whatever else. I think a lot of his hiring is on the basis of the narrative he brings. It's a selling point for the brass to say "we hear you! we're bringing in the enforcer who will whip these guys into shape". I just don't agree with that narrative at all. I'm not convinced the powers believe it either. It could just be the only card they were able to play.

I don't like Fletch. At all. Realistically though, there just was no way he was going to make this team much better in this past off season. The team has far too many glaring needs that just cannot be filled by signing FAs. Hiring Torts allows them to produce some sort of story for the fans to tune in and watch. Some group of people will tune in just for him, and that's all they care about. This year will be all about Torts, and they're going to parade him in front of every camera they can. The team's play can't give them eyeballs, so they're hoping the coach will. To their credit, getting attention in the media is something Torts does very very well.

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2