Tortorella says he will ‘play the kids’

pilldoc

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/9/23/23368212/philadelphia-flyers-coach-john-tortorella-prospects-brink-frost-tippett

“I’m going to play the kids,” Tortorella said plainly Thursday morning. “I’ll tell you right now. It doesn’t matter to me — stature, draft pick, whatever it may be, what you’ve done before — I think it’s a situation where it’s kind of a clean slate with me. Because I don’t know the players, I need to watch them."

“But I do feel, as an organization right now, we need to get a foundation underneath us here. We need to get back on the rails. And we need to get a good foundation of what our kids are, so they are going to get every opportunity. I’m not going to be afraid to put them into situations where it might bump another guy out that thought he was going to be there.”

As the old saying goes, talk is cheap.  However, I know many of us over the years have been screaming that this organization needs to let the younger players play and develop.   '

Now have the appropriate coach to teach these young players is a whole different topic .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Agree .... considering all the injuries ........ 

The injured players shouldn't even be here. Ellis should never have been acquired, even he was healthy, and under any GM who knows even the smallest amount about asset management Couturier should have been traded for picks and prospects. The Flyers when they were acquired and signed to albatross contracts were already in a freefall. The chucktard just sped up the process. So the injuries are a lame excuse, a smoke screen call it what you want.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The injured players shouldn't even be here. Ellis should never have been acquired, even he was healthy, and under any GM who knows even the smallest amount about asset management Couturier should have been traded for picks and prospects. The Flyers when they were acquired and signed to albatross contracts were already in a freefall. The chucktard just sped up the process. So the injuries are a lame excuse, a smoke screen call it what you want.

Not arguing at all ...totally agree with your entire post.  Just stating facts about the injuries being present.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/9/23/23368212/philadelphia-flyers-coach-john-tortorella-prospects-brink-frost-tippett

“I’m going to play the kids,” Tortorella said plainly Thursday morning. “I’ll tell you right now. It doesn’t matter to me — stature, draft pick, whatever it may be, what you’ve done before — I think it’s a situation where it’s kind of a clean slate with me. Because I don’t know the players, I need to watch them."

“But I do feel, as an organization right now, we need to get a foundation underneath us here. We need to get back on the rails. And we need to get a good foundation of what our kids are, so they are going to get every opportunity. I’m not going to be afraid to put them into situations where it might bump another guy out that thought he was going to be there.”

As the old saying goes, talk is cheap.  However, I know many of us over the years have been screaming that this organization needs to let the younger players play and develop.   '

Now have the appropriate coach to teach these young players is a whole different topic .....

I like Torts

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flyer4ever said:

Sure. That would've been an entirely legitimate and different approach. But this Old Guard doesn't do "different approach."

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, radoran said:

They brought in Hextall and hailed him as an outside voice who could bring a new perspective while still being a Flyer and then they fired him for not doing things the way they wanted him to.

In a typical oxymoron fashion....the very definition of insanity 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

And yet we all know, Braun(35), Anisimov(34-will obviously get a pathetic Fletcher deal), Roussel(32-will also obviously get a ridiculous Fletcher deal and be touted as the "type of player that Tortorella loves"...), JVR(33), Atkinson(33), Deslauriers(31), Hayes(30), Brown(30), Seeler(29), Laughton(28) will all be wearing a Flyers sweater this season among the 23 man roster.  That's 10 players.  When probably only 2 of them deserve their contract.  While Laughton should be nothing more than an immensely overpaid 4th line guy.

Not to mention bringing a career AHLer in Grosenick(33) and Connauton(32) on an idiotic 2 year deal who will both get in the way in Lehigh.

The roster should have a lot more youth in it than it will.

All the talk is just more BS.

Rubbish. You're not listening. Torts doesn't care how long a guy's been here, what he did or didn't do in the past or how big his contract is. He is going to put the best guys he has out on the ice and anybody who doesn't give him effort will sit soon thereafter. Fletcher will either get with that program or we will be talking about new GM Briere sooner than you think. 

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 2

18 hours ago, radoran said:

They brought in Hextall and hailed him as an outside voice who could bring a new perspective while still being a Flyer and then they fired him for not doing things the way they wanted him to.

Exactly. That was their one and only stab at a rebuild. Holmgren had emptied the cupboard so completely he left them no choice but to rebuild.

It seems Hextall was the last Flyers' GM to actually have a plan. I don't know if he would've delivered a Cup eventually but he was building the right way. He drafted:

Franchise goalie - check

Likely top-pair D-men - check

Talented forwards -check

Maybe it would've taken another 4 years, maybe more. But it's been that long and the Flyers are only worse than they've ever been...

• Like 2

Ready for the deluge of cool aid comments that will surely follow.

But here goes anyway.

This roster isn't devoid of talent.

It just not the best talent, game breaking talent, guys that when they come over the boards, you expect to be dazzled by their immense skill.

So if the team ices a roster with a (talent-wise) second line, 2 third lines and a frisky 4th line modeled after the Islanders or Bruins of the past few years.

If that team contests all 200 feet of the ice and doesn't quit. 

I'd watch it.

I'd be entertained, I wouldn't throw away my Flyers gear...which was NOT sparking joy any longer.

The things the coach is saying is what I've wanted t hear for a long time and this coach has the stones to actually do what he says he's going to do.

I still hope Couturier's injury takes at least 2 months to heal so the record will be bad enough to justify firing Fletcher in December. I still hope for a bottom 5 finish this year and a fire sale at the trade dead-line.  This is the year to be bad. Watching highlights of Connor Bedard and having the opportunity to add that guy to the team seems worth watching some young guys get their OJT in the NHL.

• Like 2

Listened to the presser this morning while on the treadmill, a few days late to the party. A few things i picked up

Deslauriers is his kind of player

Hayes is as well

The kids whether they are a first rounder or a seventh will get a shot

he wants accountability from the vets, someone to step up and tell the players when they are screwing up so he doesnt have to

he is not delusional, he expects them to be bad this year. He pointed out that they are a 61 point team

Love Torts, the Flyers may be bad but the coach will keep them entertaining. 

• Like 2