Carter Hart: Tuesday he’s fine, Wednesday he’s on IR!

Samifan

Wait…WHAT??? He “still practiced after it was announced” - announced that he was going on IR? No way. Not even the Flyers are that stupid. 

Seriously I thought I read somewhere that his status changed after practice. If he was on the ice after going on IR …. No. I refuse to believe that.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Wait…WHAT??? He “still practiced after it was announced” - announced that he was going on IR? No way. Not even the Flyers are that stupid. 

Seriously I thought I read somewhere that his status changed after practice. If he was on the ice after going on IR …. No. I refuse to believe that.

Multiple reporters saying Hart practiced with the team after being placed on IR, hence another WTF moment with this franchise under the current regime. 

He’s fine, he’s ready then IR: Atkinson 2.0? 

:whiteflag:

• Annoyed 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well at least it wasn't a lung and they tried to put him on a plane. No one is that stupid right??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

pretty SOP for this management. How many times have we heard "he's making progress. He's skating and on the ice" to "he's out indefinitely and we don't know when he'll be back or what's wrong with him. there's no timetable for his return"?

• Like 1

Look I get it Flyers organization = idiots and the medical staff hasn't covered itself in glory recently...but

People need to calm the **** down for a minute. 

To pass concussion protocol he will need to be symptom free after strenuous activity including contact- per the league guidelines.

There are more guidelines; including passing a baseline cognitive function test, also he must have an evaluation by team and independent physicians.

He must practice and be symptom free prior to the evaluation. 

Edited by mojo1917
fixed some really bad grammar

If the reports of him practicing after being placed on IR are true, this organization is even more eff'd up than all of us thought. Hart is their MVP, and has been for a long time.  BY FAR.... This is a borderline criminal conduct.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 2

13 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Look I get it Flyers organization = idiots and the medical staff hasn't covered itself in glory recently...but

People need to calm the **** down for a minute. 

To pass concussion protocol he will need to be symptom free after strenuous activity including contact- per the league guidelines.

There are more guidelines including passing a baseline cognitive function test also have an evaluation by team and independent physicians.

He must practice and be symptom free prior to the evaluation. 

@mojo1917 great point on the concussion protocol, I completely forgot how that works. Players do need to participate in practice as part of the protocol and often do while on IR. 

I think the fact that this team has been so mysterious with injuries, put out information out that was almost immediately contradicted when it came to Coots and Atkinson makes it hard for us fans to think the medical team knows what it’s doing. 

• Good Post 1

@mojo1917

"Calm down" is good advice anytime but we're not worked up about the protocol to get off IR this is about him practicing after going on IR.

And I don't care if Hart begged to participate - were there no adults in the room? He's on IR because he has a concussion for christsake - all the signs of one anyway. And the #1 thing that helps a concussion is rest. That's it. Just rest. In fact I think it's the only thing they know for sure that helps.

I would've thought it was already NHLPA policy - and stipulated in NHL contracts - that guys on IR can't be on the ice except with a trainer as part of rehab - and fines doubled for guys with head injuries! Seriously I am surprised there's no union "rule" about this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Calm down" is good advice anytime but we're not worked up about the protocol to get off IR this is about him practicing after going on IR.

That's how I understood it, too. People seem to be confused about the procedure. A player needs to clear the league's concussion protocol, get off IR, and only *then* he can be practicing. This is completely different. From what I understand, he was allowed to practice *when* on IR. Christ....... this is wrong when dealing with any player, let alone your franchise goalie, who has been your MVP all season long. How can this organization be so damn incompetent and negligent???

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

@Mad Dog

@GratefulFlyers

Attached is the NHLPA concussion protocol.

I'm not sure I see where the Flyers are not in compliance.

Pages 6 through 8 are of most interest to the discussion.

Maybe I'm missing something?

The biggest problem as I see it is the reliance on the player to report the symptoms accurately.

I can understand some skepticism based on past experiences with the medical staff.

This current situation doesn't seem to have gross mismanagement written on it to me.

I'm not sure about the rules around the IR.  In order to come out of concussion protocol, the player needs to practice, have contact and be symptom free in order to receive the evaluation that can clear him from the protocol.

When can the Flyers take him off IR If he's still in the protocol?

He will never get the opportunity to practice if we're following your line of thinking here, or am I missing something again.?

concussion-protocol.pdf

Edited by mojo1917
  • Good Post 1

@Mad Dog

@GratefulFlyers

Also, here is a link that explains what's going on.

Flyers’ Carter Hart placed on IR: What you need to know about his status - The Athletic

If it's behind the paywall I apologize.

Here is some relevant information from the article.

In short, it was more logistical than anything else.

With Hart on the active roster and both Felix Sandström and Samuel Ersson up as well, the Flyers had 23 players on their roster Tuesday — the maximum number allowed. In anticipation of the trip, however, Tortorella and the Flyers decided they wanted to bring Olle Lycksell instead of Max Willman, and have Lycksell practice with the team Wednesday in Voorhees before leaving for the West Coast in the afternoon.

Swapping Lycksell and Willman couldn’t happen immediately, however. Willman is no longer waiver exempt, and while he was waived back on Oct. 5 and cleared once, he’s been back up with the team for over 30 days (he was called up on Nov. 14). That means that for Willman to be demoted again, he needs to clear waivers — again.

Willman was placed on waivers Wednesday, and assuming he clears, he’ll be sent down officially on Thursday. But because Willman was still on the Flyers roster before then, calling up Lycksell would have put the Flyers at 24 roster players — an illegal roster. A spot needed to be cleared.

So, Hart was placed on IR, clearing that spot for Lycksell, and keeping the Flyers roster-compliant.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

He will never get the opportunity to practice if we're following your line of thinking here, or am I missing something again.?

I said “as part of rehab,” referring to when an injured player who’s on IR should be allowed back on the ice. But if the story in The Athletic is correct putting Hart on IR was “more logistical than anything else.” And that’s it? The Flyers put Hart on IR to create roster space. Okay. And the knock he took to the head? I couldn’t read the whole story…does it say how bad (or if) Hart was hurt? Does he have a concussion? 

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The Flyers put Hart on IR to create roster space. Okay. And the knock he took to the head? I couldn’t read the whole story…does it say how bad (or if) Hart was hurt? Does he have a concussion? 

Yes. 

It is considered to be very mild.

So mild that Carter has passed the steps of the protocol that allow him to practice. 

Should he be free of symptoms he can be evaluated to clear the protocol. He will have to remain on IR until 12/31.

His 7 days can be retro active to his last game played ( that's how I understand IR to work).

If it's me calling the shots I'm not rushing him back. I would considered having him skip the road trip all together. 

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

So mild that Carter has passed the steps of the protocol that allow him to practice

Oh okay well if that’s true it’s a completely different story than “he practiced after going on IR.” 

To whoever the Twitter Twit is who first posted that bogus story - you suck! 😝

16 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If it's me calling the shots I'm not rushing him back. I would considered having him skip the road trip all together. 

Right.

So he'll be scheduled to start the first possible game he can and Risto will fire a slapper at his head in warmups.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Risto will fire a slapper at his head in warmups.

I can't actually believe how bad Risto is at hockey. I knew he was awful, but not the full extent. Just an incredibly stupid player. He must just be dumb, like an IQ of 42 or something. 

• Like 1

Just now, Podein25 said:

I can't actually believe how bad Risto is at hockey. I knew he was awful, but not the full extent. Just an incredibly stupid player. He must just be dumb, like an IQ of 42 or something. 

He's got all the things you'd want in a player except the most important...a brain. He's one of, if not THE dumbest player I've ever seen, including beer league.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

He's got all the things you'd want in a player except the most important...a brain. He's one of, if not THE dumbest player I've ever seen, including beer league.

I agree. It's breathtaking.