Couturier: Flyers Recovery Pattern In A Nutshell

radoran

Found this looking for news on Couturier's recovery ("May be back in late February!"), but you can replace "Sean Couturier" with several other names in similar situations over the years.

Start at the bottom... Marvel in wonder as...

"Expected to miss extended time" turns into...

"Return sooner than expected" in a week with a flat...

won't need surgery followed a month later with...

surgery, out 3-4 months.

image.png

I get players wanting to avoid surgery. I get players wanting to play and help their teammates.

If he had gotten the surgery he "didn't need" when he "didn't need it" he could - based on current reports - be back around now, a month ahead of the "end of February" we see now and be a real boost to his teammates as they *cough* push for a *cough* playoff *cough* spot *cough*.

(I should maybe get that checked)

Assuming he actually comes back at the end of February and is something resembling the player we expect.

But is the number of times we've seen players back "earlier than expected" and reinjured normal across the league?

Ryan Ellis went from day-to-day to week-to-week to back next season to may never play again. Cam Atkinson may be on a similar path...

Couturier, Atkinson, and Ellis are 23% of the cap for the next two seasons.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 3
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

image.pngI

I get players wanting to avoid surgery. I get players wanting to play and help their teammates.

Wik

If he had gotten the surgery he "didn't need" when he "didn't need it" he could - based on current reports - be back around now, a month ahead of the "end of February" we see now and be a real boost to his teammates as they *cough* push for a *cough* playoff *cough* spot *cough*.

AlsØ wik

AlsØ alsØ wik

Assuming he actually comes back at the end of February and is something resembling the player we expect.

Wi nØt trei a hØliday in Sweden this yër ?

But is the number of times we've seen players back "earlier than expected" and reinjured normal across the league?

See the lØveli lakes

Ryan Ellis went from day-to-day to week-to-week to back next season to may never play again. Cam Atkinson may be on a similar path...

The wØndërful telephØne system

And mani interesting furry animals

FIFY

Edited by ruxpin

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Found this looking for news on Couturier's recovery ("May be back in late February!"), but you can replace "Sean Couturier" with several other names in similar situations over the years.

Start at the bottom... Marvel in wonder as...

"Expected to miss extended time" turns into...

"Return sooner than expected" in a week with a flat...

won't need surgery followed a month later with...

surgery, out 3-4 months.

image.png

I'm hoping none comes back, ever. Ellis is done, the good thing about  Atkinson is he only has a few years left on his contract if he does make it back. Nothing personal all are good players and both put in 100% every night,  but we especially don't need Coots an over 30 guy with a bad back taking up 7 million for 7 more years. Coots couldnt skate before the back injury , now he will have less leg power and will be a huge burden if not now, then in a few years as he continues to break down. 

He's been skating at the Voorhees Training center here in South Jersey.  I've watched him a few times.  He usually has some coaches on the ice with him.  With that said, I see no reason for him to return playing with the team this year.  Even if he is healthy, he should wait until the following season to play.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

we especially don't need Coots an over 30 guy with a bad back taking up 7 million for 7 more years.

Yeah, well, that contract doesn't magically disappear. It'll be an LTIR juggle or give up an asset to move it.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Yeah, well, that contract doesn't magically disappear. It'll be an LTIR juggle or give up an asset to move it.

That will be a tough one for sure.  Unless under a new CBA they are able to do a buyout that doesn't include a cap hit.

1 hour ago, Fuzz said:

Unless under a new CBA they are able to do a buyout that doesn't include a cap hit.

To that point, they stop paying Bryzgalov the year after Hayes', Laughton's, and Deslauriers' current contracts expire.

The same year they'll stop paying Ellis (barring a trade).

The guy that signed him to that contract? Is in the Flyers' Hall of Fame.

🤔

Edited by radoran
  • Like 1

Latest Update on Flyers’ Top Center, Sean Couturier

February 4, 2023

Sean Couturier, the Philadelphia Flyers’ top-line center, is working his way toward returning to the lineup.

There’s even a possibility it could be this season, general manager Chuck Fletcher said in a phone interview Saturday.

The Flyers, understandably, are not rushing Couturier, 30, who has had two back surgeries since the last time he played on Dec. 18, 2021.

But he is making strides, has resumed skating, and is working out.

Asked if he expected Couturier to return this season, Fletcher said it “depends on how he progresses. He’s been progressing well. I know the surgeon is happy with the progress he’s made. As you ramp up the intensity of the on- and off-ice workouts, hopefully things continue to go as expected, and in that case, it would be great for him to come back this year and get some games.”

Added Fletcher: “We’ll just have to see if there are things that slow down the recovery or not. That’s hard to predict, but right now he’s doing well. We’re certainly not on a fast-track with him. We do things very methodically. At the end of the day, it’s about the long-term and not this year.”

Given a rehab break

Like all of his teammates except All-Star participant Kevin Hayes, Couturier was given time off during the week break. He will resume skating and working out next week, said Fletcher, whose Philadelphia Flyers are 21-21-9 and six points out of a playoff spot.

“We gave him some days off,” Fletcher said, noting rehabs can be a mental strain. “Let him get away for a few days like all our players and just recharge a bit.”

Couturier won the Bobby Clarke Trophy as the team’s MVP in each of his last three full seasons. Cam Atkinson won the award last year, when Couturier was able to play just 29 games.

In the gym, Couturier has been working to get his range of motion and strength to return, said Fletcher, adding Couturier is not doing any heavy lifting. “When you come off back surgery, you do things a little differently,” Fletcher said. “It’s not like he’s doing any squatting” with the weights. “We’re just making sure the back heals. That’s the most import thing right now.”

Fletcher said “ideally,” it would be great if Couturier could return this season and feel confident his back was ready for the NHL rigors. But the Flyers will be cautious and won’t push him.

The GM pointed out that Couturier hasn’t played in nearly 14 months and is behind the other players in conditioning.  “That’s going to probably make the process a little bit longer,” Fletcher said. “His back could be fine, but he’s also behind everybody and has to catch up without overdoing it.”