Another Signing: Will Smolek

Howie58

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

His father was a fighter. idk, sounds like an AHL lifer to me but you never know, sometimes D men develop late. 

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Put me in, coach!  I'm fully developed! Person, woman, man, camera, TV!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I just saw this.  Is he competent....or another fighter?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/flyers-sign-zmolek-entry-level-182400012.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

He is from Matt Read's alma mater, Bemidji State. 

Not very familiar with him. Throw him on the pile down in LV if he comes of anything good - if not oh well a free signing all it cost was a contract.

From reading their scouting report they could use his physical ability and if it makes Risto expendable all the better.

Will Zmolek is a marketing communications major at Bemidji State. He is gifted offensively as he has registered 170 points in 126 games played for Bemidji State Beavers hockey team in the CCHA.

cut.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Zmolek, 23, served as an Alternate Captain and tallied 21 points (4g,17a) this season. He also plays on the Power Play and also netted two power-play goals, and one short-handed goal in 36 games this season with Bemidji State University. For his efforts, he was a 2023 Hobey Baker nominee.

One thing Zmolek brings is size. Zmolek has widely been known as a defensive defenseman, with some offensive production. He’s a decent skater given his size as he stands at 6’4 and weighs 209 pounds. Zmolek is not the best skater but a decent one, and he has signed an ATO with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for the rest of the season. His ELC kicks in the 2023-24 season, as the Beavers season has ended. With Samuel Morin no longer in the plans for the Flyers at least as a player, the Flyers are trying to replicate his physical play on the defensive side of the puck. Zmolek does not shy away from physicality, rather he embraces it.

Through further research, Zmolek was debating coming back for a fifth season with the Beavers, but in the end the Flyers came a calling.

“It was actually pretty quick. We were at the rink (in Bemidji) in the morning, had a last full-team meeting, then I was out at lunch with my teammates, guys in my class, and my agent called and said (Philadelphia) had offered. I went out to my car and called my parents and said ‘I think this is the right spot for me. It’s a no-brainer to say yes.” – Will Zmolek said to Jason Feldman of the Post Bulletin in Rochester, Minnesota

https://flyersnittygritty.com/the-skinny-on-newly-signed-sizable-defenseman-will-zmolek/

This 6’4, 209 pound defenseman in Zmolek was named CCHA’s Defenseman of the Month for December 2022, and Defenseman of the Week on November 14, 2022. His accolades also include being a 2023 Hobey Baker nominee. 

“I can’t really describe how I’m feeling with how excited I am but I’m looking forward to it and just really excited.” – Will Zmolek said in a youtube video

He would have garnered more attention if the Beavers were a better hockey team. This typically happens throughout the NCAA, the more noticeable or sexy signings come from bigger Universities that have sustained more success throughout the Collegiate season. Zmolek also comes from a university that former Flyer Matt Read attended in Bemidji University.

Edited by OccamsRazor
#bourbonup
  • Like 2

I agree with Occ.  This looks low risk.  And given how few picks we have in coming years, trying to find some undrafted gems makes a lot of sense. Maybe we luck out.  If I believe Torts, Lappy and his staff are doing a good job in LV.  

10 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All evidence to the contrary.

Cam seems to have been improved down there.  The question may be if improvements at the farm get dissipated/reversed when they move up to the show. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

All evidence to the contrary.

And what is that?

The call-ups have been pretty okay this season.

Elliot Desnoyers looks like an NHL player to me. York turned his career around down there too...The Phantoms are actually playing pretty good hockey and the reason for it is the young guys, not the the career AAAA players.

I don't think there has been much talent to develop in LHV until recently to be honest.

I know everything regarding the Flyers is *not good at the moment, but that attitude can cloud the few not terrible things going on with the team.

Guys on the Phantoms are playing meaningful hockey right now, they're playing together and they're playing well. 

It is a start. 

Lappy doesn't seem like Joe Xs and Os but his career path was one of hard work and maximizing his abilities, it seems like he's getting through to a lot of these kids.

He's had some help too, Artiem Anisimov has been a great mentor this season, I wonder if he's going to be asked to stick around in some capacity?

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNHL/status/1633588654009352195?s=20

Edited by mojo1917

32 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

And what is that?

The call-ups have been pretty okay this season.

Elliot Desnoyers looks like an NHL player to me. York turned his career around down there too...The Phantoms are actually playing pretty good hockey and the reason for it is the young guys, not the the career AAAA players.

I don't think there has been much talent to develop in LHV until recently to be honest.

I know everything regarding the Flyers is *not good at the moment, but that attitude can cloud the few not terrible things going on with the team.

Guys on the Phantoms are playing meaningful hockey right now, they're playing together and they're playing well. 

It is a start. 

Lappy doesn't seem like Joe Xs and Os but his career path was one of hard work and maximizing his abilities, it seems like he's getting through to a lot of these kids.

He's had some help too, Artiem Anisimov has been a great mentor this season, I wonder if he's going to be asked to stick around in some capacity?

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNHL/status/1633588654009352195?s=20

The Phantoms are 15th in the league. Compared to the Flyers sure, the Phantoms are doing good. Compared to contending teams the Phantoms are not all that good. I guess when we've watched our once great franchise become a complete joke, the Phantoms look "good". But the reality is, they're mediocre. Which I guess is our new holy grail. 

26 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The Phantoms are 15th in the league. Compared to the Flyers sure, the Phantoms are doing good. Compared to contending teams the Phantoms are not all that good. I guess when we've watched our once great franchise become a complete joke, the Phantoms look "good". But the reality is, they're mediocre. Which I guess is our new holy grail. 

Yeah, and honestly, for every Cam York or Desaulniers, there are a lot of players whose wheels come off in Lehigh under Lappy.   If they clean out, I send Lappy with them.   At 15th of 32 in the league and 7th of 15 in the conference, Lehigh is mid-pack at best.  They have games in hand on the teams in front of and behind them.   Desnoyers may or may not be an NHL player, but I'd argue he overcame Lappy; not that he was helped by him.   And I do not agree that Cam York turned his career around there.  He was very good coming out of Michigan and out of world juniors.   He played well with the club last year and inexplicably got left off the opening day roster because he was among 18 players who phoned in pre-season.  He overcame Lappy.  He didn't have his career turned around there.  

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Compared to contending teams the Phantoms are not all that good.

The gap between the Providence Bruins/Hershey Bears and the Phantoms isn't a huge chasm. I've watched them all this year. 

The Bs and Bears was a great game on New Year's Eve.

The Phantoms *should* make the playoffs. If they get in, they would be in that 2nd tier of teams with a shot if they got a favorable match up early.

They wouldn't be 1st round fodder out of hand. 

I didn't say they were a powerhouse. They sure as hell aren't the Erie Monsters or the Norfolk Admirals from a couple of 10 years back.

They're playing well, and guys seem to be developing there right now.

****** let me have this for crissakes.

44 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

If they clean out, I send Lappy with them.   

I'd be fine with this. 

I think they could do worse.

They have.

45 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, and honestly, for every Cam York or Desaulniers, there are a lot of players whose wheels come off in Lehigh under Lappy.

If the wheels come off in LHV...then chances are they weren't NHL players to start with. 

just sayin'

York needed to get his head right, that happened in the A and he's been pretty solid since.

He looked like ass in camp and in the preseason.  His trip to the bus lane was beneficial. 

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

His trip to the bus lane was beneficial. 

Yes, but I think it was literally the decision itself and maybe the trip.  Not what was done or not done once he was there.

We'll need to agree to disagree, but I think Lappy has been entirely worthless from the moment he retired as a player.   Like many others in Flyer management.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The gap between the Providence Bruins/Hershey Bears and the Phantoms isn't a huge chasm. I've watched them all this year. 

The Bs and Bears was a great game on New Year's Eve.

The Phantoms *should* make the playoffs. If they get in, they would be in that 2nd tier of teams with a shot if they got a favorable match up early.

They wouldn't be 1st round fodder out of hand. 

I didn't say they were a powerhouse. They sure as hell aren't the Erie Monsters or the Norfolk Admirals from a couple of 10 years back.

They're playing well, and guys seem to be developing there right now.

****** let me have this for crissakes.

Sorry, mojo...your positive vibes despite what the reality is are...refreshing. You deserve better. 

Love those Phantoms...I got a feelin' 'bout this team...they're goin' on a tear!!!  Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sorry, mojo...your positive vibes despite what the reality is are...refreshing. You deserve better. 

Love those Phantoms...I got a feelin' 'bout this team...they're goin' on a tear!!!  Happy Dance GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I don't know if I think they are going on a tear, I do think they can all play in some meaningful hockey games.

Some of the players on that team will benefit from that experience.

Righting this organization has to start somewhere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't know if I think they are going on a tear, I do think they can all play in some meaningful hockey games.

I don't think they're going on a tear either...I just wanted to sound less negative. 😁

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

This is certainly true.  I hope you're right.

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Today they finally took the first step. Briere taking over as "interim" is fine. Now what? Any more heads to roll? I doubt it.

I read Comcast brought in a new CEO but CEO of what...the Flyers? Somebody posted that Dave Scott wasn't fired or replaced, that the new guy would "share duties" or some such thing.

So the Flyers have a new, interim GM. That's great but I suspect that's it.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Today they finally took the first step. Briere taking over as "interim" is fine. Now what? Any more heads to roll? I doubt it.

I read Comcast brought in a new CEO but CEO of what...the Flyers? Somebody posted that Dave Scott wasn't fired or replaced, that the new guy would "share duties" or some such thing.

So the Flyers have a new, interim GM. That's great but I suspect that's it.

I am ok with it the new guy is wanting change.

Smartest man in the building so far in my eyes.

Till he's not...