The Death of Regional Sports Networks or Why We Shouldn't (Maybe) Dump on Comcast's Ownership of the Flyers

Howie58

Greetings:

Cord cutting has hurt TV sports revenue, particularly that of the Regional Sports Networks (RSNs).  I'm sure many of you have heard of Bally Sports Network going into Chapter 11.  As this Youtube notes, while the NFL and MLS aren't impacted (they do no broadcasting on the RSNs), the NBA, NHL, and MLB are, with the worst being the NHL.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KR-ESyH_Gg

While we don't like Comcast-Spectacor for many reasons, having it as parent/owner gives the team capacity to produce and broadcast its product.  Most franchises don't. The transition from the RSN model will be painful for all franchises impacted, even more so for those without broadcast capacity.

Putting aside the Flyers' situation, as this video makes clear, the NHL is likely to be hurt the most due this systems change.  The NHL has never had a particularly strong broadcast revenue stream and is the most home-attendance dependent.  The RSN challenges are likely to keep the cap flat and put even more emphasis on revenue sharing with the small market clubs.  This will be an important challenge to overcome (probably explains why some games are being put on the ESPN+ channel).  Meanwhile, as much as we dislike them, at least Comcast has broadcast capacity and deep pockets for operations.  

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

Cord cutting has hurt TV sports revenue, particularly that of the Regional Sports Networks (RSNs).  I'm sure many of you have heard of Bally Sports Network going into Chapter 11.  As this Youtube notes, while the NFL and MLS aren't impacted (they do no broadcasting on the RSNs), the NBA, NHL, and MLB are, with the worst being the NHL.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KR-ESyH_Gg

While we don't like Comcast-Spectacor for many reasons, having it as parent/owner gives the team capacity to produce and broadcast its product.  Most franchises don't. The transition from the RSN model will be painful for all franchises impacted, even more so for those without broadcast capacity.

Putting aside the Flyers' situation, as this video makes clear, the NHL is likely to be hurt the most due this systems change.  The NHL has never had a particularly strong broadcast revenue stream and is the most home-attendance dependent.  The RSN challenges are likely to keep the cap flat and put even more emphasis on revenue sharing with the small market clubs.  This will be an important challenge to overcome (probably explains why some games are being put on the ESPN+ channel).  Meanwhile, as much as we dislike them, at least Comcast has broadcast capacity and deep pockets for operations.  

Cool.  "Hey, the chef can't cook worth ####.  In fact, it tastes exactly like that.  But be grateful he's able to get it to your table  and you even get  a spoon for what's supposed to be steak."

Edited by ruxpin
  • Haha 1

@Howie58

Thanks for the link.

My company is trying to figure out how we can be relevant for the foreseeable future as content creators.

Local TV is at an interesting/precarious place right now.

Every content creating entity seems to have it's own streaming service now.

How long before the networks stop supplying the affiliates with content?

The plight of the RSN now may be instructive for the future of local broadcast media.

• Like 3

Just now, mojo1917 said:

@Howie58

Thanks for the link.

My company is trying to figure out how we can be relevant for the foreseeable future as content creators.

Local TV is at an interesting/precarious place right now.

Every content creating entity seems to have it's own streaming service now.

How long before the networks stop supplying the affiliates with content?

The plight of the RSN now may be instructive for the future of local broadcast media.

Interesting the things you don't consider until you read it on a hockey board.   Interesting points, mojo!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Interesting the things you don't consider until you read it on a hockey board.   Interesting points, mojo!

Down here in South Florida, Bally (Diamond Sports) is the local provider.  I gather the Panthers will be hurt with this trend.  Under Chapter 11, the company keeps operating while restructuring.  But that won't change the revenue dynamics long-term.  I agree with the YouTube piece RE: paying for subscriptions that have a lot more than what you need.  My SiriusXM sub comes up in a few days and later today I will look at downgrading.  I could probably make due with a far skinnier package.  Mojo--your plight is exactly why the cable operators have said that skinnying too far will hurt the content providers--people can't experiment or see new and different in "other" isn't available.  That's a tough thing to negotiate.

I recall from the 2004-05 strike that a hard salary cap meant more to the NHL than other sports because of our high dependence on gate receipts.  Here we are nearly 20 years later (shoot, that is hard to believe) and things haven't changed much).  

Competition matters.  I started with NHL Center Ice maybe 5-7 years ago, and it was $169.  Now it is $69.  That kind of pricing dynamic can't help the league.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Down here in South Florida, Bally (Diamond Sports) is the local provider.  I gather the Panthers will be hurt with this trend.  Under Chapter 11, the company keeps operating while restructuring.  But that won't change the revenue dynamics long-term.  I agree with the YouTube piece RE: paying for subscriptions that have a lot more than what you need.  My SiriusXM sub comes up in a few days and later today I will look at downgrading.  I could probably make due with a far skinnier package.  Mojo--your plight is exactly why the cable operators have said that skinnying too far will hurt the content providers--people can't experiment or see new and different in "other" isn't available.  That's a tough thing to negotiate.

I recall from the 2004-05 strike that a hard salary cap meant more to the NHL than other sports because of our high dependence on gate receipts.  Here we are nearly 20 years later (shoot, that is hard to believe) and things haven't changed much).  

Competition matters.  I started with NHL Center Ice maybe 5-7 years ago, and it was $169.  Now it is $69.  That kind of pricing dynamic can't help the league.  

And in the Flyers case a lot of aren't buying the sports packages anymore for garbage. I ponied up for the NFL ticket because i expected some good football.

Depending on this offseason and how that goes i may pony up for the NFL ticket next season.

But all i can do as a consumer is not subscribe to bullsh it!!!!!!!

I haven't paid for any Flyer hockey anything since the stoppage and fool us real well playoff run.

Only thing i have stay true to was my beard during that playoff run i starting growing my beard and well i have had it ever since.

The wife and daughter told me they love it and i can't shave it anymore. I think they just like seeing all my grey all through it.

I am loyal always will be. But i don't have to watch this crap. Because from all i read that is all it is. Sad.

I do look forward to one day being able to sit back on my couch and watch a good Flyer hockey team again. I wonder how long it will take?

Cord cutting  is what is taking place big time and well it will be in transition for the next couple of years...people want quality is everything they take the time to do and i can't blame anyone especially when it comes to a passion.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Cord cutting  is what is taking place big time and well it will be in transition for the next couple of years...people want quality is everything they take the time to do and i can't blame anyone especially when it comes to a passion.

Dear Occ,

I get where you are coming from.  And I might be better off spending less time with the O and B and trying something new, particularly as a single and pretty isolated dude.  But one thing your comment made me reflect on is the relative bargain NHL Center Ice is.  I just went online and saw the average ticket price at a move is about 10 bucks.  And that is the ticket, not the additional stuff you normally get.  I am getting about 70 games of Center Ice for 69 bucks...a buck a game.  I'd rather watch the O and B than most of what Hollywood is producing.  Putting aside that I have no real interest in the Panthers, on the few occasions I've gone it is probably 125 bucks all in including ticket and maybe a pretzel and water.  I refuse to pay 15 bucks for a glass of crappy wine I could buy for 8 bucks a bottle.  The same holds for food--yeah, water and a pretzel to tide me over.  The bottom line is that NHL Center Ice is cheap relative to alternatives.  Don't get me started on pent up frustration.....or whether I will live to see another Cup.

Best,

Howie

20 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Don't get me started on pent up frustration.....or whether I will live to see another Cup.

I feel your pain i'm 51 but wasn't following the team in the 80's not until 92-93.

Big E's first season did i really watch so i don't know what a Cup win even feels like.

:BrownBag:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

so i don't know what a Cup win even feels like.

It's pretty fricken awesome.    I had no idea how long I'd wait for a third.   I think I thought it was commonplace at the time  (You can't blame me, because by 1983 I was 15 years old and had been to 2 Cup parades, a WS paraade, an NBA Parade, and the 2 Finals runner ups, a World Series runner up and 3 NBA finals runner-ups.  By 1987 and graduating high school, there were 2 more trips to the NHL finals.

I'll tell ya what.  I slept a lot better back then!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

It's pretty fricken awesome.    I had no idea how long I'd wait for a third.   I think I thought it was commonplace at the time  (You can't blame me, because by 1983 I was 15 years old and had been to 2 Cup parades, a WS paraade, an NBA Parade, and the 2 Finals runner ups, a World Series runner up and 3 NBA finals runner-ups.  By 1987 and graduating high school, there were 2 more trips to the NHL finals.

I'll tell ya what.  I slept a lot better back then!

Wow so you were spoiled.

Huh that'll teach ya!!!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow so you were spoiled.

Huh that'll teach ya!!!

Yeah seriously.

I consider myself taught.  Now, can we go back to winning?

Edited by ruxpin

Hey, they just need to finance a $1.25B purchase from a company that is making money hand over fist on their investment.

Should be pretty simple.

Boreanaz has an estimated net worth of ~$70M

Timonen ~$44M

Forsberg ~$54M

So unknown guy on the right better be good for about a billion or so. :hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, radoran said:

Hey, they just need to finance a $1.25B purchase from a company that is making money hand over fist on their investment.

Should be pretty simple.

Boreanaz has an estimated net worth of ~$70M

Timonen ~$44M

Forsberg ~$54M

So unknown guy on the right better be good for about a billion or so. :hocky:

Apparently he is a billionaire.  Is he not part owner of the Sixers and the Devils? That's all I can find out so far.

20 minutes ago, albertaflyer said:

Apparently he is a billionaire.  Is he not part owner of the Sixers and the Devils? That's all I can find out so far.

(I had seen that elsewhere 😃)

That's David Adelman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_J._Adelman

Not sure how being a partner in an organization that owns another NHL team works out, but happy to learn.

:hocky:

11 minutes ago, radoran said:

(I had seen that elsewhere 😃)

That's David Adelman.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_J._Adelman

Not sure how being a partner in an organization that owns another NHL team works out, but happy to learn.

:hocky:

Perhaps he can sell the Devils and purchase the lowly Flyers at a steep discount!

2 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Perhaps he can sell the Devils and purchase the lowly Flyers at a steep discount!

He a 10% owner in the Sixers and Devils, partner in HSE which is Josh Harris' outfit that owns majority in both.

I could see him wanting his own pool to splash around in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

He a 10% owner in the Sixers and Devils, partner in HSE which is Josh Harris' outfit that owns majority in both.

We can certainly dream, anything to get them the hell away from Concast!!!!

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Well one thing is for sure  Billionaires and movie stars have ego's. They like to own expensive things. Be interesting how it plays out. 

• Like 1