Danny Briere: Flyers’ New GM Says ‘Rebuild,’ Welcomes the Challenge

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'm truly confused, and that is a pretty easy feat.  It sounds like the consensus for the rebound is to not do anything to bring players in, keep everyone because they can't be moved, and just play with the current line up until all the dead weight dies or resigns elsewhere 🤔 

With speculation including sending Hart and Gauthier to Montreal for Cole Caulfield. Or offer sheeting Cole Caulfield. Or some nonsense regarding Cole Caulfield.

Let's take a moment and figure out how they fit a $9M offer sheet into the $7.7M cap space they have available...

Not to mention that it would be peak old school Flyer for an actual, legit, proven 1C to be available and to instead mortgage the team for a right winger.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I'm truly confused, and that is a pretty easy feat.  It sounds like the consensus for the rebound is to not do anything to bring players in, keep everyone because they can't be moved, and just play with the current line up until all the dead weight dies or resigns elsewhere 🤔 

As a bonafied consensus builder (see my zip recruiter profile) I would disagree that we have consensus on the board about this topic. 

It seems there are some who do not want acquire the game-breaking talent until certain players are shed from the roster; And others who think that having all the talent possible regardless of when players become available would be a good thing.

I myself fall into the later camp. I think when talent becomes available, options to get it on the team should be explored. 

There is so much not good with the Flyers that multiple issues will need to be addressed simultaneously.

I think finding talented players should be an always happening proposition.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I would disagree that we have consensus on the board about this topic. 

I think the topic of hiring Danny and the Jonseys has been pretty well settled.

Consensus on what they're going to do is another thing entirely...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radoran said:

I think the topic of hiring Danny and the Jonseys has been pretty well settled.

Consensus on what they're going to do is another thing entirely...

I betting on "go for it". 

I'm hoping "rebuild"

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I betting on "go for it". 

They have basically said "don't expect playoffs next season" and if that changes then all bets are off.

I do not expect Danny to make a big splash deal. I think they kick the tires on Matthews, but they will likely be outbid and I don't think he would agree to an extension to come to Philadelphia under those circumstances anyway.

If they do this Caulfield thing in either of the scenarios outlined ($9M offer sheet, Hart/Gauthier to MTL), I may just walk away entirely.

Edited by radoran
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, radoran said:

They have basically said "don't expect playoffs next season" and if that changes then all bets are off.

I do not expect Danny to make a big splash deal. I think they kick the tires on Matthews, but they will likely be outbid and I don't think he would agree to an extension to come to Philadelphia under those circumstances anyway.

If they do this Caulfield thing in either of the scenarios outlined ($9M offer sheet, Hart/Gauthier to MTL), I may just walk away entirely.

The Caufield thing would be like the Recchi- Desjardins/LeClair trade in reverse.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, radoran said:

Talk is cheap.  They’ve hedged that rebuild talk with a lot of “not a fire sale” talk.  The Flyers historically talk too much then can’t back it up.  I’d like to see them shut up about the rebuild and make rebuilding moves.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

“not a fire sale”

As if they are sitting on a bunch of assets they would want to part with and other teams want.

The actions will definitely do the talking.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

If they do this ...there will be a riot in this place and JB twins will need police protection....

I'm with you  ... I just might walk away ..... that literally wold be the vertber straw that broke the camel's back ..... just saying

• Like 2

11 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I think the kids going to be a good one. As mentioned above...John LeClair is a nice comparison. 

As for the Worlds...

The top scorers are made up of plumbers, no names, has beens. The USAs top scorer is 5' 6" Rocco Grimaldi of the Rockford Icehogs. I'm assuming that's in the Bedrock Stoneage League with Fred Flintstone as his winger. Their 2nd leading scorer is TJ Tynan. I know, that's what I said. Canadas top scorer? None other than the highly esteemed MacKenzie Weegar who actually played in the NHL, defence, and had 31 points. 

The only team who ever seemed to care about the Worlds was Russia, and they're not in it.

Gauthier has 6 g 1 a in 6 games. That's great...except he has 3 g 1 a against France, who aren't much of a hockey nation. So 2 g 0 a in 5 games against lower level NHLers and AHL level players.  He's a kid, so it's not terrible by any means. It's just not earth shattering either.

Jeez man, all I said was "he's looked pretty good in the worlds". Wasn't implying he'd turned into a superstar from that, just that he's looked pretty good. 

No need for the negativity, the kid was a decent pick. 

12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree, we have nothing better to do, so discussing it is fine.

I honestly think that if they ever trade him it will be back to his home in Arizona and they have so much more to offer than the Flyers do i think.

Besides i am good removing the 3 stooges we have discusses over and over and continuing to rebuild the slow methodical way why rush.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Me too this would be asinine and totally a Chuck move and back to square one. No way they would trade the guy who has been compared to John Leclair to the team they actually stole John Leclair from right...talk about egg on your face.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Jeez man, all I said was "he's looked pretty good in the worlds". Wasn't implying he'd turned into a superstar from that, just that he's looked pretty good. 

All I said was "I think the kids going to be a good one". The tournament, not so much.

Edited by flyercanuck

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

All I said was "I think the kids going to be a good one". The tournament, not so much.

Fair, but the shade's unnecessary. It cheapens anything good you see from him there. There are other picks and prospects looking like crap and if they look like crap there, good chance they're busts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Wow.

38 frigging shots on goal and on the 3rd impressive as hell IDGAF who you are playing!!!

Wow. I they have a star in the making please continue to develop this kid.

• Like 2

One thing is a must Danny B. has to find room on the right side for this kid it is time for him.

Someone has to go. Konecny or Atkinson.

My choice is Cam sorry no room left on a rebuild....not sure how or where but the offseason is where it needs to be fixed.

Ok.

Now after some research the Blues have 3 first round picks makes sense.

They have the 10th, 25th and 30th.

But doesn't look like they have the cap space to make that work.

Well I guess it could get interesting at the draft then.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

There are other picks and prospects looking like crap and if they look like crap there, good chance they're busts.

90EEI7tS_normal.jpg

Cutter Gauthier’s men’s worlds (so far): 6GP, 6G, 1A, 7PTS, +9, 38SOG

I_9lLyV0_mini.jpg

Scott Wheeler

@scottcwheeler
Adam Fantilli’s men’s worlds (so far): 6GP, 0G, 2A, 2PTS, +2, 12SOG, 12:08 TOI Leo Carlsson’s men’s worlds (so far): 6GP, 1G, 2A, 3PTS, +3, 7SOG, 15:02 TOI

So are Fantilli and Carlsson likely busts?  

Should we take into consideration Gauthier didn't even play in the worlds at their age? That TJ Tynan (who?) is outscoring him on his own team? 

When you run up points against a team like France, in a tournament led by scorers from Rapperswil Jona Lakers, it's really not telling us a whole lot. 
Pretty sure Fantilli and Carlsson are still going top 4, likely top 3. Pretty confident they have productive NHL careers. Pretty confident Gauthier does too. The Worlds will have no bearing on any of this. Canada has ONE scorer in the top 30 and his name is MacKenzie Weegar. Doesn't that say something of the legitimacy of the tournament?

The Worlds is a tournament most good hockey players just can't be bothered going to. I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt, it's far from a best on best tourney. 

• Like 2
  • Uggh... 1

Fantilli and Carlsson are younger so no, they are not busts, BUT Fantilli has definitely not looked very impressive. It does say he likely will need more time in development before making an impact in the NHL. I haven't seen Sweden play yet so can't comment on Carlsson's play. 

It might be a B grade (or even C grade) tournament, but some players do use it as a showcase or as a breakout moment. Last year Dylan Cozens for example went over, played well, and then had a breakout season with Buffalo. There's open ice, there's differing styles, it's a good training moment for some of these guys and they learn and develop. Since the big names rarely go I think having prospects take part is a good thing for their development and I will bet with you Gauthier's development will be accelerated by his taking part. 

• Like 4

On 5/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, mojo1917 said:

It seems there are some who do not want acquire the game-breaking talent

Should Danny be aggressive (aggressive like Howie would do if he liked a player) and try and move up to get a guy like Leo Carlsson (even use something like the Panthers 2024 1st to do (so and enter whatever else it would take?)

Or just stand pat and take whatever falls to them??

Edited by OccamsRazor

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Should Danny be aggressive (aggressive like Howie would do if he liked a player) and try and move up to get a guy like Leo Carlsson (even use something like the Panthers 2024 1st to do (so and enter whatever else it would take?)

Or just stand pat and take whatever falls to them??

I dont' know. 

My knowledge of teams moving up in the draft is, it is costly and rare.

I really can't remember when the last time a team traded into the top 3.

I think that's where you have to go to get Carlsson.

If the idea is to stockpile young talent. Gauthier, this year's #7 and next year's PHI and FLA picks is a good place to start.

3 top 10s ( most likely) and a bonus first rounder to take a high ceiling skill player late in the '24 1st round. Those picks could be the beginnings of a quality team core.

Might make a problem when it comes time to sign them when they're ready to be UFA...but hopefully some of the front office changes in the works will include better cap management. 

• Like 3