Game 69: Carolina Hurricanes at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/18/23 @ 5PM, ESPN+, HULU

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are underdogs (+165) and haven't been a Saturday team of late:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2023-03-18/hurricanes-vs-flyers-prediction-nhl-picks-3-18-23

We've lost all three games to the Canes this year, but they've been by one goal.  Both teams are on the second of back-to-back games.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/car-vs-phi/2023/03/18/2022021099

I will let the streamers set the table.  

First time watching a ESPN broadcast this season. ***** Brutal!

Studio show horrible, Melrose couldn’t even complete a single thought or sentence and Buccigross suggested the reason the crowd was dead is because the Flyers weren’t Bullies anymore. Idiot!

Hah yeah I saw Melrose doing the pregame, decided right then = no sound. I expected idiotic remarks but never that - the Broad Street Bullies was like 50 years ago! Good to hear Buccigross is keeping up….

Helluva game by the Flyers against a good team. They both played last night and the Flyers look fresher. How that happens I have no idea I expected the Flyers would lose bad today.

Oh no 0.5 seconds. Unreal. Necas just standing there next to Sandstrom wide open nobody even looking at him. Just incredible. 

and the inevitable predictable stupid 3-on-3 finish…. 1-11 in OT. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Oh no 0.5 seconds. Unreal. ‘Canes player standing next to Sandstrom wide open nobody even looking at him.

In fairness, there were 6 Canes and 4 Flyers. Somebody's going to be left by themselves. Sandstrom made a *great* save on Gostisbehere, btw.

5 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

In fairness, there were 6 Canes and 4 Flyers. Somebody's going to be left by themselves. Sandstrom made a *great* save on Gostisbehere, btw.

good point I forgot about the penalty and the EN. But everybody puck-staring around the net…ugly!

Edited by GratefulFlyers

36 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

good point I forgot about the penalty and the EN. But everybody puck-staring around the net…ugly!

Wow embarrassing to watching them skate through DeAngelo like that put that man on his ass you can't get embarrassed like that.

Typical soft ass Flyers TDA just a pylon on skates.

I sure hope he isn't on the team next season.

Trade him for a 2027 4th round pick to move on.

• Like 1

Tortorella goes with 2 D 1 fwd a lot but Laughton Sanheim and DeAngelo is a gamble defense-wise. He probably thought Laughton could win the FO and with the puck they’re as good as any 3 on 3 I guess.

And the Flyers have been better in the FO circle lately…but losing the last 2 draws basically cost them the game. So, no satisfaction from winning, no help in the lottery. Go Flyers!?!

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tortorella goes with 2 D 1 fwd a lot but Laughton Sanheim and DeAngelo is a gamble defense-wise. He probably thought Laughton could win the FO and with the puck they’re as good as any 3 on 3 I guess.

And the Flyers have been better in the FO circle lately…but losing the last 2 draws basically cost them the game. So, no satisfaction from winning, no help in the lottery. Go Flyers!?!

I believe it.

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Wow embarrassing to watching them skate through DeAngelo like that put that man on his ass you can't get embarrassed like that.

Typical soft ass Flyers TDA just a pylon on skates.

I sure hope he isn't on the team next season.

Trade him for a 2027 4th round pick to move on.

Deangelo should hold a camp for kids wanting to become defencemen....

This is how to NOT play D kids.

Tony the Turnstile Deangelo.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

Improved OT performance will be a key metric for this squad. We've been awful at it for a decade+ but this year seems to be a new low.

I didn't watch, so I would like a view on Sandstrom. Is he bad luck or just bad? One reporter said he should be put on waivers immediately. 

Edited by Howie58

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Improved OT performance will be a key metric for this squad. We've been awful at it for a decade+ but this year seems to be a new low.

I didn't watch, so I would like a view on Sandstrom. Is he bad luck or just bad? One reporter said he should be put on waivers immediately. 

2023 is definitely their lowest point in overtime, but the team has generally been middle of the pack over the last 10 years, averaging the 15th best OT record during that time. They have the worst OT record this year, and in 2020 they had the best record in OT. I think it's probably a perception thing, for the most part. Tough losses stand out in our minds, and yesterday's game was definitely a tough loss.

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Our problem in overtime, especially this year more than previous, is simply no talent.  They're not fast enough, not creative enough, and no or little finishing ability.

And until this year, it simply wasn't a priority--possibly from the senile advisors.

Not sure about Sandstrom, but the results obviously aren't there.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 10:19 AM, Howie58 said:

didn't watch, so I would like a view on Sandstrom. Is he bad luck or just bad? One reporter said he should be put on waivers immediately. 

there was one goal I thought was soft, can’t recall which one. But other than that he played well imho. Not sure what that reporter is basing his opinion on other than Sandstrom’s W/L record, which is abysmal but hardly his to own all by himself.

that said I like what I’ve seen from Ersson and if it’s a choice between the two I pick Sam. Small sample size yes but Sandy may have too much losing stink on him now…if there is such a thing.