Biggest Suprise So Far?

Guest idahophilly

So what's your biggest suprise so far ?

1 - Talbot with a career high in goals?

2 - Coots stepping into a leading role at 19?

3 - Our "career" goal tender being lost in the woods for 2/3's of the season?

4- Jagr coming back with the good team first attitude he has had?

5- Schenn's struggles early on?

6- Read leading all rookies in goals?

7- The huge amount of concussions and other injuries?

8- Briere's disappearing act?

9- JVR's bust of a year because of his injuries?

10- The hoard of rookies we have been playing?

There must be others so comment away or add your own. Just looking at my top ten, I'd say we are having a good year considering the adversity but a lot of just good luck... That always helps!

There must be others so comment away or add your own. Just looking at my top ten, I'd say we are having a good year considering the adversity but a lot of just good luck... That always helps!

I would like to add also

Simmonds- guy has been a beast for us

Hartnell- Career scoring year, who would have guessed

Oh, I have to add an 11th...

11- That no one really misses Carter or Richards...

Read has been a big plus, but not totally a surprise, I guess. I think he deserves more attention around the league. (I think Landeskog is a terrific young player, but Read's name should get more mention than it has.)

Talbot & Simmonds have been much bigger additions to this team than I expected. Simmonds looks like a future 30-goal scorer.

I think that the Flyers trading Richards & Carter and then leading the NHL in scoring has got to be the biggest surprise.

And also, the young guns playing so well, but JvR not really being among them. He's basically been the lone disappointment among the Flyers' younger players.

can i say all of the above? to the added posts as well. this season has not gone in any way that has been predicted. that really shouldn't be surprising, but it's all of the things that haven't gone the way expected taken together that's what makes this season very strange... memorable and forgettable.

but, edging to the top is talbot... fartsmell... cooter and read's(1st halfs).

I have to agree with AndyS. To trade two of your core players and then lead the league in scoring wasn't even on my radar. I wanted both Carter and Richards outta here, but I never thought it would happen. When it did happen, my expectations were that the team would suffer offensively, but they haven't at all. That was a big surprise and a welcome one! :)

• Like 1

I can't even pick what has been the biggest surprise to me, but I'll add one more to the list. Claude Giroux with a shot to win the Hart Trophy. Not that I didn't know he was good, but I never expected him to be on a pace for 97 pts this year.

I can't even pick what has been the biggest surprise to me, but I'll add one more to the list. Claude Giroux with a shot to win the Hart Trophy. Not that I didn't know he was good, but I never expected him to be on a pace for 97 pts this year.

Reading the other posts I had exactly same thing in my mind. I think Giroux is the main reason why we are the highest scoring team in the league and why Jagr and Hartnell are having such a good year. Giroux has also been part of the reason why Simmonds and Talbot have career years. Without the concussion he would lead the league in scoring right now.

Edited by eurofly

I'd have to say Read. I could have pictured all the rest, but IMO Read came out of nowhere and looks great.

The play of the new folks. Bundy and Saunders trotted out a stat during the Washington game that nearly 50% of the Flyers goals have been scored by first-time Flyers. Not necessarily rookies, just guys who haven't played in a game for the team before this year.

Hartnell gets my vote, especially after that goal last night!

what i liked about that was how hartnell spent his entire career convicing people his skating was a problem, just so he could catch the defenders off guard and blow everyone away with that sprint. who saw that coming??

what i liked about that was how hartnell spent his entire career convicing people his skating was a problem, just so he could catch the defenders off guard and blow everyone away with that sprint. who saw that coming??

And he didn't even run into the goalie after scoring!