2023 NHL Draft Lottery: Blackhawks Win It. Ducks, Jackets To Go 2nd and 3rd

OccamsRazor

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Did I miss it or what? Where is the video of the balls coming out of the machine?

It's 11 minutes into the first video.

Edited by NHL HHOF
  • Thanks 1

Such dogsh#t....

Because having a potential franchise changing player like Bedard landing in Anaheim would be bad for the NHL ?

If anything, it would be great for the league, because winning puts asses in seats and season ticket sales for ducks would have gone sky high...

Just my .02

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 2

The Chicago organization doesn't deserve this gift.

What they did to and with Kyle Beach was disgraceful. 

As a lifelong Penn State fan who has taken the deserved lumps associated with that horrible situation. It sickens me to see nothing of consequence happen to the Blackhawks for the terrible treatment of a human. Now they get the right to draft the next generational talent?  It probably wasn't rigged but it does suck. 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

What they did to and with Kyle Beach was disgraceful. 

Exactly what enraged me the most about it all...nothing and now a reward....sickens me to my stomach.

• Like 1

Ok that's the trick. For simplicity you only have a couple of balls and all related combinations are relied to a team as a function of the odds. Then 10-mn explanation was perfectly done to lose you into probabilities and technical statistics details, giving the impression that the League knows what they are doing, and finally when it comes to the questions, nobony raises the hand because they don't have a clue.

While it looks like perfectly legit because you actually see the balls and the number, the combination-team link remains completely opaque. You just ask the guy who said "oh, it's Blackhawks" like he could've said "oh, it's the Flyers". That's the part of the process that bothers me.

For the first choice, as you have a 0.5%-interval in the odds, so take 200 balls overall and multiply each odd by 2 which gives you the numbers of balls with the team logo on it. Example: Anaheim, 18.5% = 37 balls. Chicago, 11.5% = 23 balls, etc. Then you pick one ball and that's the first choice. That would be a strict and transparent pick-and-redraw procedure. But of course, the League wouldn't do it...

Report: Blackhawks season-ticket sales surge after lottery

TSN.ca Staff
Published 

It appears Connor Bedard has already provided a boost to the Chicago Blackhawks.

According to Ben Pope of the Chicago Sun Times, the Blackhawks saw a surge in season-ticket plans for next season after winning the draft lottery on Monday night.

Pope reports the club sold $2.5 million worth of packages in the 90 minutes following the lottery, with more than 500 new full-season plans.

Bedard is the unanimous favourite to be selected first overall in June's draft. Touted as a generational talent, he led the Canadian Hockey League in scoring this season with 71 goals and 143 points in 57 games.

The North Vancouver, B.C., native also electrified on the international stage during the 2023 World Junior Hockey Championship, setting a record for most points by a Canada player at the tournament with 23. 

2023_5_8_71516f64-c021-4990-b80a-f9187a8
Blackhawks GM Davidson: 'When our logo flipped over there, it was just wow'Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson discusses his reaction to Chicago winning the NHL Draft Lottery and the significant impact it has on the franchise.

Chicago entered the draft lottery with the third-best chances of landing the first overall pick at 11.5 per cent. 

The Blackhawks had a 26-49-7 record this season, missing the playoffs for the fifth time in the past six seasons.

2 hours ago, Math said:

Ok that's the trick. For simplicity you only have a couple of balls and all related combinations are relied to a team as a function of the odds. Then 10-mn explanation was perfectly done to lose you into probabilities and technical statistics details, giving the impression that the League knows what they are doing, and finally when it comes to the questions, nobony raises the hand because they don't have a clue.

While it looks like perfectly legit because you actually see the balls and the number, the combination-team link remains completely opaque. You just ask the guy who said "oh, it's Blackhawks" like he could've said "oh, it's the Flyers". That's the part of the process that bothers me.

For the first choice, as you have a 0.5%-interval in the odds, so take 200 balls overall and multiply each odd by 2 which gives you the numbers of balls with the team logo on it. Example: Anaheim, 18.5% = 37 balls. Chicago, 11.5% = 23 balls, etc. Then you pick one ball and that's the first choice. That would be a strict and transparent pick-and-redraw procedure. But of course, the League wouldn't do it...

So did anyone understand how their system works? 

Because as far as I could tell they just pulled balls out of the machine with random numbers and assigned a team to the number.

Could someone please explain how that worked.

1 minute ago, Tomdog said:

So did anyone understand how their system works? 

Because as far as I could tell they just pulled balls out of the machine with random numbers and assigned a team to the number.

Could someone please explain how that worked.

As far as I understood, it's a combination of 4 numbers that is used to assign a team. Overall you have 1,001 possible combinations if you take these numbers in increasing order and they discard the 13-14-15-16 combination to make it 1,000. So you have 185 combinations assigned to Anaheim for example. Yesterday, 5-13-4-9 came out, which was assign to Chicago and there you have your black box... Nobody knows which combination is linked to which team.

7 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Yea ESPN with another complete failure. 
None of the first video was shown. Just the results with the assistant commissioner. 

Yeah ESPN with their fantastic 30-minute coverage … Daley flipping the cards over. Totally pointless. Bettman and the ping pong balls would’ve been better television, provided they had somebody explaining the process. 

8 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Such dogsh#t....

Because having a potential franchise changing player like Bedard landing in Anaheim would be bad for the NHL ?

If anything, it would be great for the league, because winning puts asses in seats and season ticket sales for ducks would have gone sky high...

Just my .02

i agree 200% with you.

If indeed the league is gonna go and skewer stuff, they SHOULD be doing it in favor of markets where there is a perception that "it isn't a big hockey market"....a perception that frankly, I can't stand.
The Blackhawks are gonna sell their tickets regardless....their fans are gonna travel well and show up in other arenas, etc, etc.... but the league needs the Anaheims, the LA's, the Dallas', the Nashvilles, hell, the freakin ARIZONAS, to be more prominent in the eyes of the public at large and THAT is how you grow the league!

And having a player like Bedard in a so-called 'non traditional' market (ugh), would help that tremendously.
Now, first and foremost, I am all about doing this draft lottery thing in the fairest way possible....so if 'Big Name Player X' lands in Chicago, or Toronto for instance, and everything was done fairly, then so be it.

But just saying, if the league is gonna play Lottery Deities, then at least have the common business sense to help raise up the profile of the lesser known markets so that we can quit hearing the complaints about how 'Market X' isn't as appealing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Exactly what enraged me the most about it all...nothing and now a reward....sickens me to my stomach.

At least it's one more reason to hate the Hawks.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:04 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If indeed the league is gonna go and skewer stuff, they SHOULD be doing it in favor of markets where there is a perception that "it isn't a big hockey market"....a perception that frankly, I can't stand

Stand it or not, there's a long, demonstrable history of it in the league.

They already have a team in the Los Angeles television market.  They cannot allow the home attendance numbers in the 3rd largest US market to tank--not when there is already tremendous pressure on the salary cap and a significant problem with their television rights.  

They propped up the Devils and the Rangers for much the very same reasons.  They did everything they could in Pittsburgh.   The hole in the argument is Philadelphia, actually.

I'm sorry, in pretend world that doesn't involve economics, yeah let Anaheim get what they, um, earned?   But this is existential and the fix is clearly in.

If it weren't, after how many years of way too many people believing this THEY'D LIVE STREAM THE ACTUAL DRAWING WITHOUT COMMERCIALS.

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2023 at 5:49 PM, Math said:

one more reason to hate the Hawks.

You’ll be delighted to hear that in addition to dibs on Bedard, Chicago have more than 10% of the first 67 picks.  They have 9 of the first 99, too.IMG_0325.thumb.jpeg.410da609c0d903acf1f2d1e483dc9c99.jpeg

• 1 month later...