Flyers hire Patrick Sharp

Patrick Sharp is now Special Advisor to the Hockey Operations department, reporting to Briere.

Keith Jones: "In adding Patrick Sharp to our group, we are gaining an individual who has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to building an environment of winning at all levels. Patrick knows what it takes to win, he understands how to convey that to our players and is a relationship maker. He will be a vital component as we continue to build the foundation of the Philadelphia Flyers," Jones said.

Sounds great…it would sound better if it was true. He did serve as an advisor to the coaches at the University of Vermont for awhile maybe that’s what Jones is referring to…?

I always liked Sharp but I wonder why they wanted yet another guy with zero NHL management experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Signals yet another departure from the old guard

Yay!!!!

6 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

and the old outdated ways of thinking. 

Isn't hiring ex-Flyers that aren't really that qualified for the position the old outdated way of thinking? Cause I'm pretty sure it is.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Post 2

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Yay!!!!

Isn't hiring ex-Flyers that aren't really that qualified for the position the old outdated way of thinking? Cause I'm pretty sure it is.

is this is because you hate the flyers so much that you dont want anyone that's a former flyer on this staff no matter if they are drafted or not? why cant you just put that aside and see they are good hockey minds? these fantasy ideas of hiring complete outside people, how do you know they want to be part of a rebuilding team?

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Patrick Sharp is now Special Advisor to the Hockey Operations department, reporting to Briere.

Keith Jones: "In adding Patrick Sharp to our group, we are gaining an individual who has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to building an environment of winning at all levels. Patrick knows what it takes to win, he understands how to convey that to our players and is a relationship maker. He will be a vital component as we continue to build the foundation of the Philadelphia Flyers," Jones said.

Sounds great…it would sound better if it was true. He did serve as an advisor to the coaches at the University of Vermont for awhile maybe that’s what Jones is referring to…?

I always liked Sharp but I wonder why they wanted yet another guy with zero NHL management experience.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Its the Flyer way

Nothing has changed :bonkingheadonwall:

9 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Hmm. Well I see what you mean about experience but let's play the glass half full game instead. Signals yet another departure from the old guard and the old outdated ways of thinking. 

Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss

• Uggh... 1

16 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

is this is because you hate the flyers so much that you dont want anyone that's a former flyer on this staff no matter if they are drafted or not? why cant you just put that aside and see they are good hockey minds? these fantasy ideas of hiring complete outside people, how do you know they want to be part of a rebuilding team?

I'm convinced your knowledge of this team begins and ends with Gritty, and the uniform colors

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Isn't hiring ex-Flyers that aren't really that qualified for the position the old outdated way of thinking? Cause I'm pretty sure it is

So is hiring ex-flyers that are supposably "qualified " 

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

Please refresh my memory about all the cups the franchise has won using the "ex-Flyers" as the main quality needed in hiring.

How can you say they're good hockey minds? Our president is a broadcaster. Our GM managed an AHL team for a year. Our special advisor...played hockey. Where\s the experience in what they were hired to do?  They're ex-Flyers. That's all. 

tumbleweed-crickets-chirping.gif

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

11 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Signals yet another departure from the old guard and the old outdated ways of thinking. 

Does it? I mean I guess he’s more of an ex-Hawk than an ex-Flyer but still…

But glass half full is fine by me let’s see what happens. Maybe they all get along and bond over the fact that none of them have been in this situation before…just pray they don’t turn to the Ancient Ones for advice.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Sharp is an ex-Blackhawk. Were he to go into the HHOF it would be as a Blackhawk.

I'll see what happens, but at least this is a senior.hockey advisor who has played the game in this century.

Agree with @radoran ... Sharp played a grand total of 66 games with the Flyers out of his 939 total NHL games.  He played 163 games with the AHL Phantoms.  No way do I really consider him a "Flyer".  He played 11 seasons with the Blackhawks.

I just remember the horrific trade involving Sharp:  

December 2005 is when Sharp and Eric Meloche were traded to the Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and 2006 third round pick.

image.png.ecc611b24ccc356caafcaaa580dddd97.png

that 3rd round  pick was then traded to Montreal

image.png.ada3edeb8ef1c18504bf9cb80c341b77.png

All in all ... I really do not think of Sharp as a quintessential Flyer.  I'm ok with the hiring to see what happens.

• Like 2

Its not where a player played most, or what he accomplished on ice. Its the fact that this franchise continues to hire these people regardless of their experience and or ability to actually do the job. You could be the most qualified applicant out there, and lose out to a guy who is an ex-flyer. Their internal loyalty is commendable, but ineffective. If this franchise's internal career hirings were compared to on ice results, they would have the most championships in sports history

14 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Its not where a player played most, or what he accomplished on ice. Its the fact that this franchise continues to hire these people regardless of their experience and or ability to actually do the job. You could be the most qualified applicant out there, and lose out to a guy who is an ex-flyer. Their internal loyalty is commendable, but ineffective. If this franchise's internal career hirings were compared to on ice results, they would have the most championships in sports history

I respectfully disagree here. I get your POV.  However with regards to Sharp he was here as a rookie for all of 66 total games. He made zero impact here as a player. His locker room stall was barely warm before he was shipped out.

I know I won’t change your mind and I get your concern, but I truly believe it is unfounded in this situation…..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I respectfully disagree here. I get your POV.  However with regards to Sharp he was here as a rookie for all of 66 total games. He made zero impact here as a player. His locker room stall was barely warm before he was shipped ou

this is exactly the point I was trying to make. What you did, or did not do, as a player is insignificant. As I recall, and I may be wrong, but Sharpe was involved in a relationship with Clarke's daughter. Sharp requested a trade from Clarke, and got exactly what he wanted. How often do the Flyers do that? Now, after all these years, reagrdless of qualifications, Sharpe gets a career boost by the Flyers. Who exactly made ths decision? Was it KJ? Did Clarke facilitate it? Of course we don't know, but past history suggests it is possible

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Sharp is an ex-Blackhawk. Were he to go into the HHOF it would be as a Blackhawk.

I'll see what happens, but at least this is a senior.hockey advisor who has played the game in this century.

Sure Sharp is a Blackhawk. And Jones played for the Avalanche. And Briere for the Sabres. 

And none of them are overly qualified for the position they were hired to do. And ALL of them played for the Flyers.

Maybe it works this time. It just never has before. That's all I'm saying...it's just more of the same. Is it better than Fletcher? Anything is. It's setting the bar at 1 millimetre.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoachX said:

As I recall, and I may be wrong, but Sharpe was involved in a relationship with Clarke's daughter. Sharp requested a trade from Clarke, and got exactly what he wanted.

I don't remember that  (issue with Clarke's daughter) .... I knew Sharp fell out of favor with Hitch.  Sharp wanted more playing time and Hitch was always reluctant to play young kids.  It was Sharp who approached Clarke.

It didn’t look like he was going to get the playing time that we wanted in Philadelphia. So he requested a trade away from the Flyers. Sharp detailed the experience as he joined the Snow The Goalie Podcast.

At the time, Sharp mentioned that then GM Bobby Clarke didn’t wanted to trade him away. But his request was granted and he was even able to choose the team.

”I knew the Chicago Blackhawks had a young group that was playing in Norfolk the year before. As we went though the Philadelphia Phantoms days, I saw those guys having success in the NHL. And I’m like, alright, that’s why I got to get going here with this group. It wasn’t happening in Philadelphia, so I’m thankful for the trade.”

Since retiring, Sharp has spent the last five seasons in broadcasting with NBC Sports and NBC Sports Chicago in both studio and color commentary roles. He has also served as advisor to the University of Vermont coaching staff since September, 2021

It was a horrific trade but from my research not because of a relationship with Clarke's daughter.

RE: Clarke's Daughter ...... not with Sharp.  Not sure were you heard that.

image.png.ca655214bf43c19a394d337a0f0a6c68.png

@pilldoc

yeah, I may be wrong on the daughter thing. I seem to recall hearing it in a game broadcast. but based on research, it doesn't seem like it fits

however, trading away a player you don't want to trade, because he wants to go, based off a small sample size of his performance, doesnt' sound like a good idea. Turns out it wasn't. But it certainly seems like Clarke liked Sharp and did him a favor, at the cost of the team. Now he's back in a senior role. I still think it isn't because the guy has any useful experience, unless broadcasting is key requirement.....oh wait!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

With the exception of Torts the rest of the management team (decision makers) are significantly younger. At least that's a start.

well thats the big push for today's Flyers....get younger at any cost

side note: age is not what has made the bobby-bunch:smallTM: incompetent, but it has exacerbated their inflamed headupassedness

Edited by CoachX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

As I recall, and I may be wrong, but Sharpe was involved in a relationship with Clarke's daughter.

It just came to me .... you are thinking of ex-Flyer/Phantom player Peter White who used to be married to Jody(Jordy) Clarke, who is one of Bobby Clarke's daughters.  He played mostly in the AHL bouncing around a lot from different teams.  They have since been divorced according to multiple sources.

Per one source it is unknown when the couple said it quits and when and for how long when they married to one another, but the romance between the couple started when the latter was a player, and Jody father, Bobby Clarke, was the general Manger of Philadelphia flyers.

Not much else is known.  

That is who you were probably thinking of when you post earlier about Clarke's daughter.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

It just came to me .... you are thinking of ex-Flyer/Phantom player Peter White who used to be married to Jody(Jordy) Clarke, who is one of Bobby Clarke's daughters.  He played mostly in the AHL bouncing around a lot from different teams.  They have since been divorced according to multiple sources.

Per one source it is unknown when the couple said it quits and when and for how long when they married to one another, but the romance between the couple started when the latter was a player, and Jody father, Bobby Clarke, was the general Manger of Philadelphia flyers.

Not much else is known.  

That is who you were probably thinking of when you post earlier about Clarke's daughter.

ahhhh....yes. now that you said that, that's who it was.

Patrick Sharpe fit my narrative better. :ok:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

He made zero impact

Speaking of zero impact what about the kid they got for 3 time Stanely Cup winner Patrick Sharp???

Matt Ellison played a whooping 7 games for the Flyers and was so bad he had to go over seas if he wanted to continue to play hockey.

#winning

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1